The Sopranos

wild_turkey

On 11/19/2020 at 10:21 AM, BigHorn'13 said:

Yeah, the shit with Vito was ridiculous. Made guy or not, Finn had to have known the threat of talking gave him the upper hand. 

Btw the most disturbing image on the show? Vito at the gay club lassoing the "watch your cornhole, bud" guy. I'm at the point in the show where Vito's nephew or somesuch got beaten down by racehorse Sally. Can't unsee that image and know it's coming again soon. 

"Mustang" Sally?

• Hook 'Em 2

On 11/21/2020 at 10:17 PM, Augustus said:

I've seen it 20 times, but every time he says "tomato sauce for your ass" I laugh out loud.

I am scratching my head, and I don't remember that scene for the life of me.  What was it?  

On 3/25/2019 at 4:38 PM, Deej said:

This great scene subtly shows the malevolence of Tony and the effect of it.  Been a long time since I watched it, but iirc Tony was giving Paulie major grief about not kicking up enough upstairs.  In desperation cause he's striking out everywhere, Paulie robs and ends up murking his mom's bf.  There's a brief scene of Paulie giving Tony a big envelope and a quick pleased look by Tony, with no idea nor care how Paulie got it.

Edited by Wade

59 minutes ago, Wade said:

This great scene subtly shows the malevolence of Tony and the effect of it.  Been a long time since I watched it, but iirc Tony was giving Paulie major grief about not kicking up enough upstairs.  In desperation cause he's striking out everywhere, Paulie robs and ends up murking his mom's bf.  There's a brief scene of Paulie giving Tony a big envelope and a quick pleased look by Tony, with no idea nor care how Paulie got it.

I think it was actually Sylvio who was giving him shit about his lack of  commitment and Paulie started wondering if Tony might wack him.

The Tony / Livia relationship was fantastic television.  The manner and different means in which she tormented her son were priceless.    There's a scene in her home where she's whittled Tony down to nothing and he's had enough, walks quickly out of the house and falls down the steps, his gun falling out of his jacket to the concrete.   The cameras cuts to Livia, chuckling at her son's impotency and failure to negotiate the steps.  

Great, great television.  Couldn't find the clip but it was / is priceless. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

I think it was actually Sylvio who was giving him shit about his lack of  commitment and Paulie started wondering if Tony might wack him.

You're right.  Also, I had forgotten it all occurred when Paulie was being played for a fool by Johnny (bolded).  Such a good fucking show.

Paulie has an angry confrontation with Silvio, who tells him his earnings are low and Tony is beginning to doubt his loyalty. He runs into Carmine and greets him effusively; he is shocked as he realizes that Carmine has no idea who he is. He learns that his mother's friend Minn keeps all her savings under her mattress. He breaks into her house thinking she is out, but she stumbles upon him in her bedroom and he suffocates her with a pillow. He goes to Tony, greets him effusively, and gives him a large envelope of cash. They smile at each other, on good terms again.

1 hour ago, Wally Pryor said:

The Tony / Livia relationship was fantastic television.  The manner and different means in which she tormented her son were priceless.    There's a scene in her home where she's whittled Tony down to nothing and he's had enough, walks quickly out of the house and falls down the steps, his gun falling out of his jacket to the concrete.   The cameras cuts to Livia, chuckling at her son's impotency and failure to negotiate the steps.  

Great, great television.  Couldn't find the clip but it was / is priceless. 

Edited by BigDHornfan
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Wade said:

You're right.  Also, I had forgotten it all occurred when Paulie was being played for a fool by Johnny (bolded).  Such a good fucking show.

Paulie has an angry confrontation with Silvio, who tells him his earnings are low and Tony is beginning to doubt his loyalty. He runs into Carmine and greets him effusively; he is shocked as he realizes that Carmine has no idea who he is. He learns that his mother's friend Minn keeps all her savings under her mattress. He breaks into her house thinking she is out, but she stumbles upon him in her bedroom and he suffocates her with a pillow. He goes to Tony, greets him effusively, and gives him a large envelope of cash. They smile at each other, on good terms again.

"What'd ya do, rob a bank?"

3 minutes ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

She is making him breakfast and has an accident.

Still not coming to mind. It's amazing because I just finished watching the series last month for the first time, saw this thread, and thought I'd rewatch it since I wasn't following along closely. 

The show's tits.

2 hours ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

She is making him breakfast and has an accident.

Tony visiting her in the hospital and telling her he’s going back with Carmela is a great moment in asshole lore. 

I’m Team Oksana. She’s Tony’s best gumar. The youngest. The hottest. The original. The nudest. Talks trash to Russians in Russian. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Turk Pipkin deserved an Emmy for that episode.  

Would also be a good day to bring up that the Sopranos was probably the most clever show in history on how it dealt with "holiday episodes."  

16 hours ago, qwertyu1234 said:

One of the biggest themes of the Sopranos, at least to me, are the scores of ambiguous scenes. The most interesting one to me was if that cop really did kill Chris's dad or if it was just a ploy for Tony to get Christopher closer and more loyal to him. 

I was just thinking of that the other day. I still don't think the guy he killed had anything to do with it. Like you said, it was Tony's way of getting Chris closer to him. 

5 hours ago, lateshow said:

I was just thinking of that the other day. I still don't think the guy he killed had anything to do with it. Like you said, it was Tony's way of getting Chris closer to him. 

No way that cop killed his dad. I agree with you it was just tony playing mind games to get him closer

7 hours ago, lateshow said:

Sure, but it’s not really explained why Tony wanted the guy dead. He’s a retired cop and completely useless to Tony. If Tony were under indictment and the retired cop was going to testify, yeah I get it at that point. 

I think it was favor for Chris. Tony gave Chris numerous passes that would have gained his undying loyalty. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

That whole sequence was captivating to me. The thing that this show does well is making these people seem human then remind us they are monsters in the same episode. Chris broke in, knocked the guy out and cuffed him, only to sit on the couch and watch TV until he woke up, then killed him. Michael Imperioli would always put this look on Chris' face when Chris was in the zone that was truly psychotic.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

That whole sequence was captivating to me. The thing that this show does well is making these people seem human then remind us they are monsters in the same episode. Chris broke in, knocked the guy out and cuffed him, only to sit on the couch and watch TV until he woke up, then killed him. Michael Imperioli would always put this look on Chris' face when Chris was in the zone that was truly psychotic.

Agreed, it’s really what all good mob movies do well.  Tony requires his kids to be at Sunday dinner and then leaves to bang a whore or murder Matt Drinkwater. Weird juxtaposition.

1 hour ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

Didn’t Chis’s dad die when he was still a baby?  Why would Tony wait 30 years to kill him?

because the cop was on the job, he was on the take, and useful to the Soprano Family.  On the night of his retirement, he was no longer useful...he couldn't help the family with inside info, tampering with evidence, etc.  He'd outlived his usefulness, so Tony fed him to the sharks.

2 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

because the cop was on the job, he was on the take, and useful to the Soprano Family.  On the night of his retirement, he was no longer useful...he couldn't help the family with inside info, tampering with evidence, etc.  He'd outlived his usefulness, so Tony fed him to the sharks.

I thought that but he genuinely acted like he had no idea who Chris was talking about.  He did apologize right before Chris shot him but I thought it was just him being desperate.  Anyone know if Dickie Moltisanti was made at the time he was killed?  Was he dead before Tony and Jackie Aprile we’re made? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2020 at 10:39 AM, Cousin Strawberry said:

He is such a miserable prick.

Reminds me of myself at times. No, I'm nothing close to Tony Soprano but kinda like that "happy wanderer" scene with Melfi... sometimes I'm just an asshole (like most of Surly) for no good reason. 

All the shit y'all give Bobby, and rightfully so, this shit here cracks me up and was probably his best moment in the show besides the fight scene with Tony. 

• Like 1