2018 Home Run Derby

Goo Punch

55 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Too bad they didn't have something like this back in the 70s with Big Boppers like Pops, Reggie, Kingman, Foster, Bench, Schmidt, Luzinski, Parker, etc...

when i was little (the 80's) they used to rerun old home run derby tv shows that were from the 50's and 60's.  mantle and mays and many others were in them.  does anyone else remember what i'm talking about?  they were black and white and were just two people, head to head, for a half hour show.  i have no idea what channel it was but probably espn2 or something.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

when i was little (the 80's) they used to rerun old home run derby tv shows that were from the 50's and 60's.  mantle and mays and many others were in them.  does anyone else remember what i'm talking about?  they were black and white and were just two people, head to head, for a half hour show.  i have no idea what channel it was but probably espn2 or something.

I remember. I loved watching it. 

Yeah, no crowd, some ballpark and a host/announcer. Great show.

5 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

Yep.  And if I remember correctly, it was a 9-inning format with 3 outs per inning.  Any non-HR hit was an out 

18 minutes ago, PappyVanVinceYoung said:

I don’t like this format. I don’t like them doing head to head. Just have the top 4 move on. I also wish it was a 10 out limit instead of a time limit, with outs being any swing that is not a homerun. 

This format is roughly 1000000000x better than the old one you're talking about. The time and head/head creates so much more fun, drama, and intensity. Just look at how much the crowd gets into it when it's down to the wire. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Helobious said:

This format is roughly 1000000000x better than the old one you're talking about. The time and head/head creates so much more fun, drama, and intensity. Just look at how much the crowd gets into it when it's down to the wire. 

It seems so unfair though. Hasn’t been the case this year, but last year Bour got eliminated in the first round hitting 22 while Sano moved on hitting 11. That just seems absurd. 

Also, the time limit penalizes players that hit high homeruns since it takes longer for them to land. What kind of sense does that make?