Favorite Drummers?

Vic Mackey

Not really knowledgable about the technical side of drumming, I just know if I like it or not.

I tend to like drummers who beat the shit out of the kit...for that reason, Bonham and Grohl are two of my favorites.

I didn't see his name mentioned, so I wanted to get the group's opinion on Stephen Perkins from Jane's Addiction. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/31/2023 at 8:07 AM, ajax said:

Not my favorite drummer, but I love ii's playing from Sleep Token.

So I guess people are recognizing this guy is pretty damn good. I'm not a drummer so I didn't know he was so highly regarded. He's up for the Drumeo awards for best metal drummer and drummer of the year.

Vote Now: The 2023 Drumeo Awards - Drumeo Beat

As an aside, Lars is also up for metal drummer of the year. I mean, I think he gets a lot of unnecessary hate but c'mon. Lars?

Freese should win drummer of the year, I would bet.

Edited by ajax

So I guess people are recognizing this guy is pretty damn good. I'm not a drummer so I didn't know he was so highly regarded. He's up for the Drumeo awards for best metal drummer and drummer of the year.
Vote Now: The 2023 Drumeo Awards - Drumeo Beat
As an aside, Lars is also up for metal drummer of the year. I mean, I think he gets a lot of unnecessary hate but c'mon. Lars?
Freese should win drummer of the year, I would bet.

Lars is a huge part of the Metallica sound.

As a drummer, he is not good. I fucking suck and I can play most everything he can but I’m too lazy to memorize it. He’s just very very basic. And that’s fine - good for him for turning no talent into millions.

Ringo was very very basic - just not a great talent as a drummer. But he turned that into millions.

Sit down and ask either of them to play anything technical and they’re fucking lost.

Ringo may not be a technical wizard, but he is probably the single most musical drummer in the history of rock.

Eh, I’d disagree.

But I am all for his place in the history of music.

I’d go for Hal Blaine in ringos spot on your list.
Ringo may not be a technical wizard, but he is probably the single most musical drummer in the history of rock.

I will also admit that you know more about music than I do.

1 minute ago, Handcruser said:

Eh, I’d disagree.

But I am all for his place in the history of music.

I’d go for Hal Blaine in ringos spot on your list.

I'd say Blaine focused on jazz and pop.  Brilliant, no doubt.  Ringo helped usher in the modern world of rock 'n' roll, and did it with an unequaled style.  

Beyond that, Blaine was almost entirely a studio cat.  Completely different career paths.  Ringo is a road dog to this day.

• Like 1