Favorite Drummers?

Vic Mackey

Bonham could hardly find anyone to play with because he played SO LOUD. Often his early bands were banned from venues because of it. Page recognized his genius and snapped him up when he formed the New Yardbirds which became Led Zeppelin.

Bonzo is the standard....Peart is technically brilliant.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Paul Wesley said:

This is the guy I mentioned who went to N Texas State and later toured with Steely Dan.  

Watch it all.  You’ll be glad you did  

That guy literally played ride on all 4 cymbals that weren't hi-hats.  Really nice feel on that solo.  Thanks.

On 7/17/2018 at 3:27 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I've heard tales that Moon would just play the basics on one take and then the producer would let him go batshit crazy with fills, etc. on a second set of tracks (probably just overheads).

I've never heard this. Townshend would play all the instruments on demos and of course the drums were so different from the finished product - I used to have them but I've lost track of the hard drive. I don't really doubt the stories you've heard but it does seem contrary to everything I've read about their studio shenanigans.

Toward the end, when they were recording Who Are You, Keith was unable to play 6/8 time on Music Must Change because he was such a mess. Depressing to think about this supernova hurtling toward his demise and all anyone could do was watch. "Keith's fucked off." 

That guy literally played ride on all 4 cymbals that weren't hi-hats.  Really nice feel on that solo.  Thanks.

Yeah that was great. I really enjoyed that. Incredible feel and emotion felt from the way he plays.

Bozzio is awful to listen to. Sure he’s incredibly technical but the output is very unenjoyable for me. I can appreciate his mastery of the craft though.

This thread would be very different if It was “best drummer”. I’m sure there would be the same dizzying number of nominations though.

I love Bonham probably more than any other drummer. I’d probably rather listen to him isolated than the actual LZ songs themselves.

Buddy Rich, for me, was the all-time greatest.

Much of this has to do with who the drummers played with. Rush was perfect for Neil, and LZ (mainly Page) was perfect for Bonham. Switch the two and you have a total disaster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 3

Yeah, Carlock is a real badass.  And was touring with some heavy hitters at a really early age... anyone who can sit in with Steely Dan AND Toto is something else.  

One other that hasn't been mentioned yet is Weckl.  He hasn't sessioned with "everyone" the way some of these guys has, but he's a monster drummer.  I'll never get tired of this:

EDIT NOTE:  On that clip above, the black drumheads Vinnie plays crack me up.  Goes so perfectly with his mullet.

EDIT NOTE 2: After watching that clip above for easily the 200th time, I've never been so certain that Gadd is on another planet.  Maybe not the technical chops or finesse lots of guys have, but Jesus what a musician.

Edited by ohchaucer

No mention of Paul Riddle yet of the Marshall Tucker Band.  To me, no one sounds quite like him, he plays some kind of shuffle that is quite unique.  it is perfectly illustrated in this great tune from them.  I would like some drummers to please listen to this and tell me what this beat is that he is playing. 

here is he playing "Jessica" with a few members of the Allman Brothers Band, he definitely adds a jazz flair to southern rock...

Edited by Mileslong

3 hours ago, Mileslong said:

No mention of Paul Riddle yet of the Marshall Tucker Band.  To me, no one sounds quite like him, he plays some kind of shuffle that is quite unique.  it is perfectly illustrated in this great tune from them.  I would like some drummers to please listen to this and tell me what this beat is that he is playing. 

Now there's a great contribution -- I've probably heard him a thousand times on the radio and never thought about it.  As far as the beat (and I'm no drummer), sounds like a typical 2 & 4 on the ride (or hihat in the verse) with a really good left hand on the snare.  Lots of jazzy little drags and whatnot.  Somebody can define it better, but to me it's more the taste than the beat.  Good call.

Mick Fleetwood

in a reasonably priced car

Never considered him an elite drummer, but just read his autobiography a few months ago and dude has some great stories. If you dig him, check his book out. It's a cool recounting from a guy who's been at ground zero for some very important and influential moments and bands.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Dave Lombardo only got one mention so far, which is criminal(ly insane). Widely thought of as the gold standard of thrash and metal drumming. Guy just has a combo of brutality and timing that is ungodly. Any of his videos are great, but start watching this one around 2:00 to see him in top form:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I have always said “imagine if Lombardo was in Metallica.”

Ain't that the truth. Hearing him play with them live makes you realize how big the gulf is between him and Lars. 2:30 on Battery, Lombardo with the double bass from hell. He pulls it out again at 3:30 and Trujillo looks like he's 18 again having the time of his life. 

• Like 2