Favorite Drummers?

Vic Mackey

On 7/24/2018 at 8:01 PM, jimmyjazz said:

<not a metal guy>  Why was Lombardo playing with Metallica?

I could say because they wanted to know what it was like to play with the best, but I think Lars was sick when they were doing one of their Big Four shows and so a few different drummers stepped in.

Why was Lombardo playing with Metallica?
It's always funny watching skilled drummers sit in with Metallica. When Jordison played with them about 10 years ago he would drive the set hard. Watching Kirk and James try and keep up is hilarity.

Don't care though. It's no Metallica without the bitty Dane.

I'm sitting in the waiting area if Pasadena's "School of Rock" which is a burgeoning music school in SoCal where kids learn to play music but mostly rock and or roll and my ADD daughter is responding to the drums in a seriously positive way.

• Like 1

I'm sitting in the waiting area if Pasadena's "School of Rock" which is a burgeoning music school in SoCal where kids learn to play music but mostly rock and or roll and my ADD daughter is responding to the drums in a seriously positive way.
That's cool! Drummers are the coolest and the bad asses of bands. The way they get into their own zone back there.

Couldn't really find any great videos, but Chester Thompson and Phil Collins dueting on Dance on a Volcano/Los Endos or the In the Cage medley is beyond awesome, check out Genesis Live at Knebworth 1978 or 3 Sides Live, I'm not a drummer but I'll air-drum the shit out of that.

Previously mentioned, but Kenny Aranoff, with both John Mellencamp and John Fogerty, just pushing/driving those bands.  Awesome.

Stewart Copeland, every time I listen to the Police, I hear something new from him.

And Bonzo, I stupidly posted on the shag that I thought he was doing all that bass drum work with two bass drums, because (being a brass player) I could not fathom any human laying out those bass drum lines with only one foot/leg, just amazing.

Honorable mention:  Chris Slade, laying down the law with the later AC/DC; Ringo, who is so maligned, just listen to Sgt Pepper if nothing else, not only the monster grooves he lays down on With a Little Help or Sgt., Pepper reprise, but the job he does following John's rhythms on Good Morning, Good Morning; Hal Blaine, just for what he did on Pet Sounds

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I think I'm a bit behind on the times on this stuff, but I've been trying to wrap my mind around this Dilla Feel/Questlove/Drunk Drumming stuff. I've heard about it in passing, but I worked with a drummer a few weeks back who was working on this stuff during breaks. I came across this talk which is fascinating to me:

I watched “Beware Mr. Baker” the other day, and came away questioning why Ginger Baker is considered a great drummer.  Admittedly, I only know him from Cream, but his drum work always struck me as either pretty simple or out of place for the song.  (I also realized that I don’t appreciate jazz drummers or drum solos generally).

Anyone care to talk me out of that opinion?    What’s an example of Baker’s best work?

• 2 months later...

Missed this thread earlier. Lots of great drummers already mentioned and quite a few I’m excited to go listen to.

Grew up idolizing Neil Peart like most drummers my age. Les Alexander was also a favorite with his almost robotic style. As I grew up a bit I found Tool and Danny Carey, who is still my current favorite. Discovered Mike Portnoy when he released his Liquid Drum Theater video and that led me towards Dream Theater which led me to a name not mentioned here yet, Gavin Harrison of Porcupine Tree. Porcupine Tree appears to be dead, unfortunately, but Gavin has re-emerged with a band called Pineapple Thief who has just earned my purchase of their new album with this:

And a brilliant PT performance

Edited by Lurch

Bonham could hardly find anyone to play with because he played SO LOUD. Often his early bands were banned from venues because of it. Page recognized his genius and snapped him up when he formed the New Yardbirds which became Led Zeppelin.
Bonzo is the standard....Peart is technically brilliant.

I enjoyed this quick video on what made Bonham so special

• Like 1

He's way down the list for me, too.  I didn't really enjoy his choices, he seemed spazzy.  Combine that with his outspoken distaste for greats like Bonham and, eh.

My band plays a BBM song called City of Gold. He lays down a pretty good groove on that tune imo

I've always loved Louie Bellson.  I got to play with him at a jazz fest back in the 90's as a high schooler.  To stand right next to the guy who invented the double bass drum and watch him beat out a solo (while singing almost every beat he was playing) was something I'll never forget.  Something about those big band drummers and their groove.  

And as JJ mentioned.  Bohnam's heavy, lopey groove was so perfect and unique.  There was just this little element of swing in his playing that made the Zeppelin sound.

Buddy Rich was the greatest.  There is absolutely nothing another drummer has ever done that Buddy didn't or couldn't do...   

I've always loved Louie Bellson.  I got to play with him at a jazz fest back in the 90's as a high schooler.  To stand right next to the guy who invented the double bass drum and watch him beat out a solo (while singing almost every beat he was playing) was something I'll never forget.  Something about those big band drummers and their groove.  
And as JJ mentioned.  Bohnam's heavy, lopey groove was so perfect and unique.  There was just this little element of swing in his playing that made the Zeppelin sound.
Buddy Rich was the greatest.  There is absolutely nothing another drummer has ever done that Buddy didn't or couldn't do...   
Couldn't have said any of that any better. You're spot on.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2018 at 6:30 PM, Deej said:

Yeah, Buddy Rich.

Sadly every fucking time this question is asked, regardless of by whom. Buddy gets left off. It is an indictment of those who simply throw a popular name out, which is probably a very good drummer. But not necessarily in the top 5 for ability or technique, and isn’t close to Buddy.

Christ Dan Patrick’s constant raving that Bonham is the greatest is second to none, an opinion he based completely on how “hard” he hit the drums. That take is painful as fuck to hear over and over. And his little crew just nod in approval. I’ve called into the show twice to remind him that he is confusing the fact that Bomham was just one (of a number of drummers) who had the resources to mic each and every part of their kit in those early years. A practice that would become commonplace after 77. So yeah Dan it was fucking loud.

44 minutes ago, Hamttx said:

Sadly every fucking time this question is asked, regardless of by whom. Buddy gets left off. It is an indictment of those who simply throw a popular name out, which is probably a very good drummer. But not necessarily in the top 5 for ability or technique, and isn’t close to Buddy.

Christ Dan Patrick’s constant raving that Bonham is the greatest is second to none, an opinion he based completely on how “hard” he hit the drums. That take is painful as fuck to hear over and over. And his little crew just nod in approval. I’ve called into the show twice to remind him that he is confusing the fact that Bomham was just one (of a number of drummers) who had the resources to mic each and every part of their kit in those early years. A practice that would become commonplace after 77. So yeah Dan it was fucking loud.

I just never listen to that type of music that Buddy Rich did. My knowledge of drummers come from rock, heavy metal and the likes.

I just never listen to that type of music that Buddy Rich did. My knowledge of drummers come from rock, heavy metal and the likes.
Yeah, that music isn't my cup of tea either.

I'm a huge bonham fan,but....

If you told Buddy Rich to back Led Zeppelin for a night (which he would have never done) he could nail it.

If you told Bonham to take Buddys place one night, he wouldnt even show up.

• 4 years later...

1. Steve Shelley - Sonic Youth. Was so steady amongst the chaos. Always offered something unique, but never too showy.

2. Loz Colbert - Ride. Probably the best UK drummer of the Brit Pop/Shoegaze era.

3. Any drummer who does not have a "insane drum solo" clip.

Edited by yoladu

• 3 weeks later...

Good call on David King. I’ve seen him a few dozen times and he is a) all over the place, b) never where you expect him to be and c) always right on the money. Keeps the BP still sounding like themselves even after Ethan.

I’m not a jazz guy but “Never Stop” and/or “Vistas” would be desert island records for me.

31 minutes ago, ohchaucer said:

Good call on David King. I’ve seen him a few dozen times and he is a) all over the place, b) never where you expect him to be and c) always right on the money. Keeps the BP still sounding like themselves even after Ethan.

I'm learning about all kinds of bands lately . . . any youtube recs for this guy playing with The Bad Plus?