Hornfans

On 7/19/2018 at 5:47 PM, longhornmatt said:

I was there.  And on shaggy.  And here.  I’ve always been there.

27c2aa-postagem-o-iluminado.jpg

It was a good place for a while, but the shaggy/surly freedom is a lot more enjoyable.

I've been alive forever ... and I wrote the very first post
I put the words and the jpegs together, I am Hornius, and I write the posts ...
I write the posts that make the whole world retch
I write the posts that make your logic stretch
I write the posts that make you kick your cat
I write the posts I write the posts

5 hours ago, markstanco said:

Correct, it was scottsins and he was live blogging the case hearing. 

http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/3052-I-am-in-court-with-ramonce-right-now

this was basically the equivalent of when WCW announced on live air mankind would win the WWF title that night on Raw to their viewers. everyone jumped ship and it wasn't the same for them anymore

• Like 1

On 7/18/2018 at 9:34 AM, Lidig8r said:

Was there.  Wasn't much fun.

Spent much more time on soonerfans as the resident opposition, stirring up shit and trolling.

actually the early days if Austin 3:16  in 1999 were a shitload of fun.  but that part ended when noodz got posted.

Edited by Gardner Barnes

On 7/30/2018 at 3:15 PM, Johnny Sack said:

The over-moderation started after Simms melted down in Dallas against CU.  It was still pretty good for several years.  By 2006 or so it was no longer fun.

The story is that the Agnors were called by FUPM's staff and asked if they were a friend of the program. Both of them loved attention by and from Bellmont.

Hornfans was trending the direction that TexAgs is today.

Edited by Gardner Barnes

18 hours ago, Continental Op said:

I just never understood the line of thinking of "If you don't have Simms' nutsack tattooed on your chin then you're an Applewhite cultist!"  that was so prevalent back then. 

The truth is that neither were great QBs.   I never cared to argue which was better.  I think before getting concussed David Ash was on a better trajectory than both of them.  

9 hours ago, Gardner Barnes said:

The story is that the Agnors were called by FUPM's staff and asked if they were a friend of the program. Both of them loved attention by and from Bellmont.

Hornfans was trending the direction that TexAgs is today.

no idea if that happened, but Mack, in an interview about a road game, said something like "when we saw the hornfans blimp from the bus we knew our fans were there to support us".

There was some sort of connection. I doubt Katy had tea at the Brown home as was rumored at the time. 

15 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

no idea if that happened, but Mack, in an interview about a road game, said something like "when we saw the hornfans blimp from the bus we knew our fans were there to support us".

There was some sort of connection. I doubt Katy had tea at the Brown home as was rumored at the time. 

it was around that time that mack called bucky and erin to his office and read them the brown riot act because they were being too critical.

22 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

BTW, the blimp was fucking cool as shit, but took FOREVER to inflate, until somebody (not me) realized that there was no need for a regulator on the helium tank. 

Man, I remember looking for the blimp in the parking lot of the 2003 @ Iowa State game.

On 7/19/2018 at 6:03 PM, smwhorn said:

I was over there as well.  Truthfully, there were some pretty good folks at Hornfans.  I had not been a poster over there too long as I recall it when I learned a niece of mine was cutting herself.  I had never heard of that before and couldn't comprehend why a 12-13 year old girl would cut herself.  I asked for some advice and got some very good and insightful advice/help/information that I could relay to my sister.  

I left there and went to the shag basically because of the same reasons everyone else did -- getting shutdown or yelled at by the mods for some fairly mundane stuff.

This is all true.  I was there and my mom was in some kid's book writing contest, got everyone to vote for her.  She's now had like five books published.  The deletion of the Ponzi scheme with gold pushed me over the edge.  I remember the first two years of viewing Shag (not NSAA) at work terrified me.

15 hours ago, RD3 said:

I started on Austin 360 boards around 1996? Then HF, Shag, and here. I was banned on HF for comparing Tony Romo's bobbled punt to Simms game against Colorado.

Totally ridiculous. How HF made it as long as they did amazed me. The notion that posters can’t be critical of players or coaches or suggest that coaches can’t go elsewhere based on news reports largely defeats the purpose of a message board. And the way Katy was so excited to tell everyone off should burn any goodwill she may have built. I truly think she’s a small person. 

21 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Totally ridiculous. How HF made it as long as they did amazed me. The notion that posters can’t be critical of players or coaches or suggest that coaches can’t go elsewhere based on news reports largely defeats the purpose of a message board. And the way Katy was so excited to tell everyone off should burn any goodwill she may have built. I truly think she’s a small person. 

i remember getting banned sometime in 2006 for what i thought was a pretty innocuous comment, critical of how the board was being moderated. i was banned for a couple of days because she was "truly sick of [my] shit."

i know i can be a pain in the ass and disagree with people about this or that, but i thought for someone who didn't want personal attacks on her board, she went pretty personal in her rant to me. it went on and on.

between her bizarre hate for posters who stood on her arbitrary lines, and campus loopy picking favorites (i distinctly remember he used to bait and ban people on the soccer threads), i'm also surprised it made it so long. 

and don't get me started on @Huckleberry's ruling over the place with an iron fist, tyrant of a mod that he was. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Not much to the behind the scenes stuff. I disagreed with the way they were going with it so I would very frequently give suspensions to people before another moderator would get there and deliver a longer one or a banning. The admin entry screen for suspensions and bannings was based on days and I would enter .125 pretty often to give someone a three hour suspension. Not sure I ever banned anyone permanently other than obvious A&M and OU trolls. I do admit to having a quick trigger finger on those.

Best/worst memory of the place is being the first person I know of to publish "composite" recruiting ratings and then not being smart enough to move forward with that idea. My composite ratings were actually cited in an Athlon (I think) season preview for some team where they said an incoming recruit had been ranked whatever in the Huckleberry Top Texas 75. That was pretty funny.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

i campus loopy picking favorites (i distinctly remember he used to bait and ban people on the soccer threads)

loopy hated me with the fire of a thousand suns, and he would permaban me for the most petty stuff, and then make it his mission to sniff out my next handle and ban it, letting me know that he was banning me on site whenever he found out my new handle. but then this one time i started under a new name and one of my first posts happened to be on the music board where i started a thread about digable planets, a tribe called quest, eric b and rakim, etc, and the guy fell in love with me. apparently music like that was his jam, and he would just absolutely dote on me under that handle. he'd be in a thread where he was banning people left and right and he'd be laughing and joking with me about it all because we were best pals. suddenly the very things he had always banned me for were just hilarious to him. loopy is up there with katy, grendel, rocko, and honestly probably me, in that you're never going to encounter another loopy; he was one of a kind- and i don't mean that in no nice way.

Edited by Goo Punch

loopy thought we were buddies because we lived in the same neighborhood. Shared a lot of PMs with him about rando shit but we never met in real life. Then one day he straight up threw me under the bus with some really petty thing that I posted that katy got pissed about. He goes off saying "he's been a problem poster for a long time. I've tried to warn him blah blah blah." Dude turned out to be a gigantic pussy in the end. Glad he never showed his face again. 

On 8/3/2018 at 8:01 AM, DLev said:

This is all true.  I was there and my mom was in some kid's book writing contest, got everyone to vote for her.  She's now had like five books published.  The deletion of the Ponzi scheme with gold pushed me over the edge.  I remember the first two years of viewing Shag (not NSAA) at work terrified me.

Hahaha, yeah.  When things got shitty at HF and this started, I wasn't paying much attention to the boards.  I sauntered over to shaggy casually and joined up and was initially a little shocked. Now it's the new normal.

6 hours ago, PilotsError said:

My favorite was people telling loopy there was a virus on the site and him banning them for not knowing how to use a computer. Of course, it turned out there was a virus.

no problems here. guess i just know how to use a computer better than you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got banned after a couple mods (including loopy) were bashing on posters celebrating Pat Tillman, for their misplaced hero worship and martyrdom. I jumped in to ask about the shrine HF had built for Cole Pittman, since celebrating someone who gave up NFL to serve in the military and being killed in combat was misplaced hero worship. Blinking envelope, lifetime ban. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/26/2020 at 9:52 PM, Murfdogg21 said:

Got banned after a couple mods (including loopy) were bashing on posters celebrating Pat Tillman, for their misplaced hero worship and martyrdom. I jumped in to ask about the shrine HF had built for Cole Pittman, since celebrating someone who gave up NFL to serve in the military and being killed in combat was misplaced hero worship. Blinking envelope, lifetime ban. 

Misplaced you say? I'm surprised you're surprised.