Hornfans

"Were?"

I'm sure I'm still on it.

I joined sometime around 2003.  Don't remember a goddamn thing more or less.  Except getting suspended once or twice for shit I can't even begin to imagine now what it was.

Edited by phdhorn

I always get a chuckle when my wife asks “what are you lulz’ing about?” And I don’t answer, she’ll continuously insist “You need to quit that Hornfans shit” like I didn’t about 10 years ago. 

Dumb broad. 

7 hours ago, Rex Kramer said:

The proper question is how many times did you get suspended at Hornfans?

Twice and to be honest I was pretty milquetoast over there (and here).  Nothing too confrontational, but you get banned anyway.  It was great for a while and then it sucked hard. I didn't get into the owner or mod politics, I but I just remember the open letter "lectures" essentially drawing a line in the sand and daring anyone to cross it so they could shut it down.  I thought to myself, "you clearly don't want this board anymore, so why do you continue?"

Yep, same username too. Signed up right around the time T.J. Ford was signed. Around that time all three major Texas sports were kicking ass on a national level. During this time the Austin American Statesman did a nearly full page article on college sports message boards. A lot of it was dedicated to Hornfans. After that the place really exploded with traffic until the forum owner freaked out for a verity of reasons and committed internet forum seppuku by running everyone off to Shaggy. At least that’s kind of the way I remember it.

And-

“Face!”

“yagsiop”

hulk hands

lucky green sleeves

8 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Shit that always annoyed me but that too many dorky posters seemed to think was hilarious:

"Wofford...tee hee"

"Torbush!"

"I had cheese enchiladas and a Modelo for lunch today (or whatever)"

Focusness

Speaking of that...did I read somewhere that BillinSinton has moved on to the next plane?

5 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Hey, Torbush is still a pretty good declarative/exclamation.  Anything that references 77-0 and that fantastic gif of it's namesake is pretty good.

Yeah, now that every third poster isn't going out of his way to use it twice in a post, it's alright.

Also, it didn't come from 77-0. It was when Utah, still in the MWC, came out and whacked the ags. 333336.gif

• Like 1

i had like 6 different handles on HF because Loopy had a major hard-on for banning me. He finally ip address banned me when, i'm a thread asking if you'd take music or movies if you could only have one, i said, "if you'd take movies over music you probably aren't a very interesting person." word for word. that got me an ip ban. thanks loopy.

got banned for saying that chance mock wouldn't play in the nfl

lhg banned me for a week for having a gwen stefani sig, fully clothed 

there were plenty more that i can't remember 

oh yeah, i signed up in 2002 right after Erik Hardeman committed to Texas. I had 5-6 different handles, but the only ones i can remember are "That's Right" and "Woodrow Call".

17 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Shit that always annoyed me but that too many dorky posters seemed to think was hilarious:

"Wofford...tee hee"

"Torbush!"

"I had cheese enchiladas and a Modelo for lunch today (or whatever)"

Yeah, that’s way dorkier than incessantly defending Charlie Strong - today. 

I was over there as well.  Truthfully, there were some pretty good folks at Hornfans.  I had not been a poster over there too long as I recall it when I learned a niece of mine was cutting herself.  I had never heard of that before and couldn't comprehend why a 12-13 year old girl would cut herself.  I asked for some advice and got some very good and insightful advice/help/information that I could relay to my sister.  

I left there and went to the shag basically because of the same reasons everyone else did -- getting shutdown or yelled at by the mods for some fairly mundane stuff.

There was a kid named GOO who was all over that place. Don't think he migrated to Shaggy or here.
He migrated. Then got married. Had a kid too I think.
got banned for saying that chance mock wouldn't play in the nfl
lhg banned me for a week for having a gwen stefani sig, fully clothed 
there were plenty more that i can't remember 
oh yeah, i signed up in 2002 right after Erik Hardeman committed to Texas. I had 5-6 different handles, but the only ones i can remember are "That's Right" and "Woodrow Call".
Hardeman, is he going to get paroled anytime soon

5 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

He migrated. Then got married. Had a kid too I think.Hardeman, is he going to get paroled anytime soon

Unfortunately, no. But he's doing about as well as one can expect all things considered. Taking some college classes and working while he's in there. I know him; he's not a thug, nor is he a gangster, or even a bad person; but on paper he looks really, really bad. He won't be getting out any time soon.

signed up on Hornfans sometime in 1999- Cant remember exactly when But it had to have been earlier in the year.  Because I attended the HF Nebraska tailgate in the state lots in Oct that year.   Finally migrated to Shaggy in Feb 2008 after Macanudo invited me.

That place was a real help on Sept 11th 2001.  there were several NYC posters forced to evacuate who didnt have phone service (the whole cell network was basically on top of the towers) , but had enough internet to jump on and post that they needed Katy to call their parents to let them know they were safe (the olds didnt have email back then).  then the semi cathartic ability to just blast post as each moment got worse, culminating in the collapse, and the very-shorty thereafter notice that over 400 NYC firefighters were marked as missing.     some were obviously found alive, but most as we now know were killed.

I dont think I ever laughed as hard at a post as I did at the Mrs. Macanudo (RIP) toaster saga.  each update from her on that post was like the Ponzi-scheme involving Gold level of awesomeness.  of course the PSIG post was the final reason why I left HF,  that was the thread keeping HF alive and relevant and without warning, Katy nuked it, losing something like 500 posts worth of gifs, replies and aweseomeness.     I know about half the thread was recreated on Shaggy- but there was no reason at all that thread should have been nuked, other than it caused too much traffic for the HF site and Katy wanted it gone.

15 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Unfortunately, no. But he's doing about as well as one can expect all things considered. Taking some college classes and working while he's in there. I know him; he's not a thug, nor is he a gangster, or even a bad person; but on paper he looks really, really bad. He won't be getting out any time soon.

what actually happened?  on paper it looks terrible.  how did it get to that point?

Erik's dad was locked up his whole life, and the one man who could have actually been a positive influence on him (former Pflugerville coach George Herman) did everything in his power to show Erik that he was above the law for four straight years. I remember Erik being pulled from our pre-AP English class our freshman year the day after the varsity football season ended so he could join the offseason program. He never returned but got credit for the course. He'd skip class, skip school, skip practice, show up late, not take the coaches seriously, and there were no punishments, ever. 

Well, he got to UT, (and you can ask anybody who was there in 03-04, and trust me, i've asked more than a dozen of them), and he was apparently the best RB on the team. I have spoken first hand to multiple OL from that team and they swear he was better than Cedric Benson. Even I found that hard to believe at first, but if i'm lying in dying- multiple guys have said that. Essentially every time i bring his name up guys all respond the same. "Yeah, I remember Erik, that dude was a monster, he should have been in the league; what is he up to now?" He was that good, even as a true freshman. Even guys i talked to who themselves played in the NFL all said the same thing. 

Anyway, he knew he was that good, but his grades were not going to be up to par, and Mack wanted to redshirt him anyway, so that's what happened, and Erik was stunned. Like, biggest shock of his entire life. His first reality check ever. And he did not respond well. Basically, the guys he hung out with were thugs and losers, and he spent more time hanging out at Between The Lines tattoo shop (where all the UT guys back then got tatted) than he did on campus. In my opinion he was clinically depressed, and simply snowballing, making one wrong decision after another.

Firs there was the cocaine incident. He was in a car that got pulled over and he had something like 23 grams of coke and $4300 cash on him. He got deferred adjudication or whatever it is, but then he and another 5* kid from Pflugerville decided to rob some people and got caught. All of the old cocaine chargers came back, and he got an agg assault charge or two, and now he's not eligible for parole until 2028, with a projected release date of 2036.

It's one of the most surreal things in my life. I still write him, i still know his mom, my best friend and I who grew up with him still talk about him all of the time. All this time we've spent since we were 19 (were now 33 going on 34) he's spent behind bars. And i swear to god, i know how it sounds, but he *was* a good kid. He was immature- that's it. He didn't bully people, he didn't commit crimes, he was not a thug or a criminal by any means- but then life hit him hard, and he just snowballed. I'd compare his story to that of Josh Hamilton, another guy who was totally normal until he was on his own for the first time, when a perfect storm of mental fragility and messed up circumstances led to his snowballing out of control. I can't even explain how sobering it is to think about. I would have given anything to have his life all the way up until he got to UT, and yet, despite having serious troubles of my own, all the money in the world isn't worth what he's been through since then.

Ill finish by saying that I know that ctj in particular (whose opinion i respect) has said that he believes that Erik was overrated, but just ask anyone who was with him at Texas- "Hey, do you remember Erik Hardeman?" They've all reacted the exact same way to me thus far, which indicates the hype was real. He was a grown man in HS, and he's still by far the most dominant player we've had at PHS- even more so than Alex Okafor, and by some margin. His talent and potential was unlimited. He was over 200 lbs and loved to initaiate contact, yet he was a good enough athlete to average 43 yards per kick return as a junior. Teams literally refused to kickoff deep against us his senior year. He was simply a born football player. He's up there with Ced B, DJ, AD, and Jamaal among the best HS players i've ever seen. It's such a shame that things went so south, so fast. To me and everyone else from Pflugerville, Erik Hardeman is  "the greatest who never was".

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 5

These are the only highlights i have on him, and they obviously don't do him justice. however his combination of size and burst are evident on this film. It seemed like he hit the hole at top speed and hen required 5 guys to bring him down. He was just dominant out of the backfield.

Joined around 2003.  Same handle on Hornfans, Shaggy and now Surly. 

I started the thread titled something like "History Channel:  USC v. The Greatest Armies of History" leading up to the 2005 title game, when ESPN was doing that stupid playoff of USC versus the greatest college teams of all time.  That thread got mentioned by the Game Day crew. 

I got suspended once for jokingly calling somebody a racist.  It was evident to everyone that it was a joke, and even the target of my humor knew I was joking.  I got the timeout any way.

I bailed during the 2013 season, when any mention of the suggestion that Mack Brown should be fired got you suspended or outright banned.  Before then, I had been the ultimate lurker on Shaggy since about 2007. 

Joined late 90s and would cruse it at the public terminals at the PCL. It was sometimes The only thing that would keep me from skipping my 2nd class on m/w/f.

got banned when I posted that I didn’t think GG looked like a good College QB on the corresponding circle jerk commit celebration page.  Never went back. Started lurking on Shaggy in early ‘08.

2 hours ago, Doc Reeves said:

Joined late 90s and would cruse it at the public terminals at the PCL. It was sometimes The only thing that would keep me from skipping my 2nd class on m/w/f.

got banned when I posted that I didn’t think GG looked like a good College QB on the corresponding circle jerk commit celebration page.  Never went back. Started lurking on Shaggy in early ‘08.

unfortunately it's still severely frowned upon (see: strictly verboten) to publicly state that you aren't in love with a UT commit, especially one from austin.

Started out on the old Austin 360 (?) board with I think became one of the Big 12 boards.  Was on HornFans as well as the Shag.  I've carried the same user name on all those.  Too lazy to think up another one.  Never been a prolific poster though.

Erik's dad was locked up his whole life, and the one man who could have actually been a positive influence on him (former Pflugerville coach George Herman) did everything in his power to show Erik that he was above the law for four straight years. I remember Erik being pulled from our pre-AP English class our freshman year the day after the varsity football season ended so he could join the offseason program. He never returned but got credit for the course. He'd skip class, skip school, skip practice, show up late, not take the coaches seriously, and there were no punishments, ever. 

Well, he got to UT, (and you can ask anybody who was there in 03-04, and trust me, i've asked more than a dozen of them), and he was apparently the best RB on the team. I have spoken first hand to multiple OL from that team and they swear he was better than Cedric Benson. Even I found that hard to believe at first, but if i'm lying in dying- multiple guys have said that. Essentially every time i bring his name up guys all respond the same. "Yeah, I remember Erik, that dude was a monster, he should have been in the league; what is he up to now?" He was that good, even as a true freshman. Even guys i talked to who themselves played in the NFL all said the same thing. 
Anyway, he knew he was that good, but his grades were not going to be up to par, and Mack wanted to redshirt him anyway, so that's what happened, and Erik was stunned. Like, biggest shock of his entire life. His first reality check ever. And he did not respond well. Basically, the guys he hung out with were thugs and losers, and he spent more time hanging out at Between The Lines tattoo shop (where all the UT guys back then got tatted) than he did on campus. In my opinion he was clinically depressed, and simply snowballing, making one wrong decision after another.
Firs there was the cocaine incident. He was in a car that got pulled over and he had something like 23 grams of coke and $4300 cash on him. He got deferred adjudication or whatever it is, but then he and another 5* kid from Pflugerville decided to rob some people and got caught. All of the old cocaine chargers came back, and he got an agg assault charge or two, and now he's not eligible for parole until 2028, with a projected release date of 2036.

It's one of the most surreal things in my life. I still write him, i still know his mom, my best friend and I who grew up with him still talk about him all of the time. All this time we've spent since we were 19 (were now 33 going on 34) he's spent behind bars. And i swear to god, i know how it sounds, but he *was* a good kid. He was immature- that's it. He didn't bully people, he didn't commit crimes, he was not a thug or a criminal by any means- but then life hit him hard, and he just snowballed. I'd compare his story to that of Josh Hamilton, another guy who was totally normal until he was on his own for the first time, when a perfect storm of mental fragility and messed up circumstances led to his snowballing out of control. I can't even explain how sobering it is to think about. I would have given anything to have his life all the way up until he got to UT, and yet, despite having serious troubles of my own, all the money in the world isn't worth what he's been through since then.
Ill finish by saying that I know that ctj in particular (whose opinion i respect) has said that he believes that Erik was overrated, but just ask anyone who was with him at Texas- "Hey, do you remember Erik Hardeman?" They've all reacted the exact same way to me thus far, which indicates the hype was real. He was a grown man in HS, and he's still by far the most dominant player we've had at PHS- even more so than Alex Okafor, and by some margin. His talent and potential was unlimited. He was over 200 lbs and loved to initaiate contact, yet he was a good enough athlete to average 43 yards per kick return as a junior. Teams literally refused to kickoff deep against us his senior year. He was simply a born football player. He's up there with Ced B, DJ, AD, and Jamaal among the best HS players i've ever seen. It's such a shame that things went so south, so fast. To me and everyone else from Pflugerville, Erik Hardeman is  "the greatest who never was".

Interesting story. It makes you realize how easily lives can go one way or another.