Hornfans

4 hours ago, Mez2 said:

Was there, Chris Fowler referenced my post on ESPN about the jedi council versus usc in the greatest armies thread leading up to the game

Ha, that was the thread I started. I remember people took it to hilarious extremes, and recall Fowler's reference to the Jedi counsel. I think my name got removed from the thread after I was banned when Hornfans went completely in the shitter.

• Like 1

I was there. I wasn't here in a class room, hoping I was right, thinking about it. I was up to my knees in rice paddies, with guns that didn't work! Going in there, looking for Charlie, slugging it out with him, while pussies like you were back here partying, putting headbands on, doing drugs, and listening to the goddamn Beatle albums! Oh! Oh! Oh!

• Like 1

On 7/19/2018 at 2:15 PM, MaybeACoordinator said:

Yeah, now that every third poster isn't going out of his way to use it twice in a post, it's alright.

Also, it didn't come from 77-0. It was when Utah, still in the MWC, came out and whacked the ags. 333336.gif

Still like the time some poster that flipped it to <torbush> Me <torbush>

Joined during 2000 FB season. I’d say the peak was 2001-2005. Was banned twice and limped out the last few years with one socks until Some Dude broke the RT court case news and I came over to Shaggy. 

It’s the community of funny assholes that are generally good hearted that made all of the sites, Surly included. DGAF about Katy, Wheeler, mods, SSS circle jerks, whoever has a billion rep points. 

3 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Joined during 2000 FB season. I’d say the peak was 2001-2005. Was banned twice and limped out the last few years with one socks until Some Dude broke the RT court case news and I came over to Shaggy. 

It’s the community of funny assholes that are generally good hearted that made all of the sites, Surly included. DGAF about Katy, Wheeler, mods, SSS circle jerks, whoever has a billion rep points. 

Or when we played football during the weekends

• Like 1

I signed up on Hornfans, but I'm not sure i ever even posted.  I realized after lurking for about a week that I wouldn't fit in there.  After that I moved over to LonhornFanZone until it collapsed.  After that google directed me to shaggy via the MS Paint worst sexual experience thread and then I followed the herd here.

Joined HF in 1999 using some generic UT-related username that I wouldn't be able to remember if someone stuck a gun to my head.  Migrated over to LonghornFanZone after the split because a couple people I knew in real life headed in that direction.  The Trash Talk board over there was great fun for awhile.  I wonder if TexasJeff is still standing in the Home Depot parking lot in Pflugerville with his son waiting for a bus that is never going to come.  

• Like 1

My favorite hornfans warning was when I said something about a college football assistant coach, like "Texas should keep their eye on this guy". I got a warning from LHG that was something like "There are no open positions on the staff and it is against the guidelines to suggest a coach should be fired". 

• Like 1

On 7/24/2018 at 8:41 PM, Red Five said:

My favorite hornfans warning was when I said something about a college football assistant coach, like "Texas should keep their eye on this guy". I got a warning from LHG that was something like "There are no open positions on the staff and it is against the guidelines to suggest a coach should be fired". 

Lord I'm glad I missed out on all that mess.  That's exactly why I enjoy threads like this one so much, just so insane the stories you can read about.

On 7/20/2018 at 10:05 PM, TriStone said:

Joined HF sometime around 2001.  Never had any issues with the mods since I've always been an infrequent poster and mostly lurk.  Moved over to Shaggy because it was funnier.  Moved over here because an empty forum isn't funny at all.

It bears mentioning that your avatar is a part of HF legend.  Perhaps the longest running thread in the history of the interwebs.

I joined HF sometime in late 1999 with the same handle, but mostly lurked...like I do here.

On 7/24/2018 at 6:41 PM, Red Five said:

San Diego sports radio was saying that Tim Brewster was on the short-list for a job on the Chargers staff.  I posted that on hornfans, and the thread got locked immediately and I got a warning.  Brewster was on the Chargers staff within 48 hours. 

The golden age was really before the Big 12 title Simms meltdown game. Though it stayed pretty good for a few more years.  Before that game, it was awesome.  After that, the moderation changed.  You had to support the team or be banned.  And it kept getting worse as the years passed.  You couldn’t even say negative shit about aggy or Ou players. 

I got suspended for making fun of Jamaar Taylor, saying he lamented the day he was no longer covered by guys in the valley named Chuy.  Which was me copying something scipio Tex posted that was enshrined in horn fans classics.  I pointed out I was just quoting scipio.  She didn’t care.  She was a fat and unhappy cunt.  

On 7/20/2018 at 11:37 AM, Goo Punch said:

Erik's dad was locked up his whole life, and the one man who could have actually been a positive influence on him (former Pflugerville coach George Herman) did everything in his power to show Erik that he was above the law for four straight years. I remember Erik being pulled from our pre-AP English class our freshman year the day after the varsity football season ended so he could join the offseason program. He never returned but got credit for the course. He'd skip class, skip school, skip practice, show up late, not take the coaches seriously, and there were no punishments, ever. 

Well, he got to UT, (and you can ask anybody who was there in 03-04, and trust me, i've asked more than a dozen of them), and he was apparently the best RB on the team. I have spoken first hand to multiple OL from that team and they swear he was better than Cedric Benson. Even I found that hard to believe at first, but if i'm lying in dying- multiple guys have said that. Essentially every time i bring his name up guys all respond the same. "Yeah, I remember Erik, that dude was a monster, he should have been in the league; what is he up to now?" He was that good, even as a true freshman. Even guys i talked to who themselves played in the NFL all said the same thing. 

Anyway, he knew he was that good, but his grades were not going to be up to par, and Mack wanted to redshirt him anyway, so that's what happened, and Erik was stunned. Like, biggest shock of his entire life. His first reality check ever. And he did not respond well. Basically, the guys he hung out with were thugs and losers, and he spent more time hanging out at Between The Lines tattoo shop (where all the UT guys back then got tatted) than he did on campus. In my opinion he was clinically depressed, and simply snowballing, making one wrong decision after another.

Firs there was the cocaine incident. He was in a car that got pulled over and he had something like 23 grams of coke and $4300 cash on him. He got deferred adjudication or whatever it is, but then he and another 5* kid from Pflugerville decided to rob some people and got caught. All of the old cocaine chargers came back, and he got an agg assault charge or two, and now he's not eligible for parole until 2028, with a projected release date of 2036.

It's one of the most surreal things in my life. I still write him, i still know his mom, my best friend and I who grew up with him still talk about him all of the time. All this time we've spent since we were 19 (were now 33 going on 34) he's spent behind bars. And i swear to god, i know how it sounds, but he *was* a good kid. He was immature- that's it. He didn't bully people, he didn't commit crimes, he was not a thug or a criminal by any means- but then life hit him hard, and he just snowballed. I'd compare his story to that of Josh Hamilton, another guy who was totally normal until he was on his own for the first time, when a perfect storm of mental fragility and messed up circumstances led to his snowballing out of control. I can't even explain how sobering it is to think about. I would have given anything to have his life all the way up until he got to UT, and yet, despite having serious troubles of my own, all the money in the world isn't worth what he's been through since then.

Ill finish by saying that I know that ctj in particular (whose opinion i respect) has said that he believes that Erik was overrated, but just ask anyone who was with him at Texas- "Hey, do you remember Erik Hardeman?" They've all reacted the exact same way to me thus far, which indicates the hype was real. He was a grown man in HS, and he's still by far the most dominant player we've had at PHS- even more so than Alex Okafor, and by some margin. His talent and potential was unlimited. He was over 200 lbs and loved to initaiate contact, yet he was a good enough athlete to average 43 yards per kick return as a junior. Teams literally refused to kickoff deep against us his senior year. He was simply a born football player. He's up there with Ced B, DJ, AD, and Jamaal among the best HS players i've ever seen. It's such a shame that things went so south, so fast. To me and everyone else from Pflugerville, Erik Hardeman is  "the greatest who never was".

I don’t know near as much about him as you do.  But I know multiple players on the team in that era.  And they all swore he was a guy that should have been in the NFL.  And lament that he, Michael Williams and Robert Timmons were three of the best guys we had that pissed it away.  

• Like 1

On 7/20/2018 at 11:44 AM, Goo Punch said:

These are the only highlights i have on him, and they obviously don't do him justice. however his combination of size and burst are evident on this film. It seemed like he hit the hole at top speed and hen required 5 guys to bring him down. He was just dominant out of the backfield.

I also was told he was an elite receiver for a running back. 

13 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Which poster was the BCS guru who kept detailed track of all the different things that went into the BCS rankings?  I'm pretty sure it was the 2004 season when we played Meatchicken in the Rose Bowl.  CoTex?

for some reason the name statlyzer (sp?) comes to mind even though it probably wasn't him.

43 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Which poster was the BCS guru who kept detailed track of all the different things that went into the BCS rankings?  I'm pretty sure it was the 2004 season when we played Meatchicken in the Rose Bowl.  CoTex?

SynTex.  Craig Way read that beautiful post on the radio.  

Edited by Johnny Sack

On 7/26/2018 at 4:09 PM, Brisketexan said:

I got a letter about playing tic tac toe in prison. Shared the wisdom on HF.

That was you?  Good job man.

9 hours ago, Smax said:

was there, same name here, shaggy, hf and austin 360

katy banned me for starting the lousiville cheerleader thread

That was you?  Good job man.

On 7/27/2018 at 1:00 PM, Johnny Sack said:

The golden age was really before the Big 12 title Simms meltdown game. Though it stayed pretty good for a few more years.  Before that game, it was awesome.  After that, the moderation changed.  You had to support the team or be banned.  And it kept getting worse as the years passed.  You couldn’t even say negative shit about aggy or Ou players. 

I got suspended for making fun of Jamaar Taylor, saying he lamented the day he was no longer covered by guys in the valley named Chuy.  Which was me copying something scipio Tex posted that was enshrined in horn fans classics.  I pointed out I was just quoting scipio.  She didn’t care.  She was a fat and unhappy cunt.  

Sounds like it turned into a strange version of North Korea?

On 7/27/2018 at 1:02 PM, Johnny Sack said:

Torbush gif was from Urban Meyer and Utah smoking aggy in 2004. 

Picture+1.png

Sure enough.  I inspected it, and mistook 27-0 for 77-0.  The "Utah" in the gif is still pretty illegible.  Looks like there's a ranking number next to it?

Edited by TwiceHorn

41 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

in fairness, the meltdown wasn't just on hornfans.  "BillyBob" had run a great site for years, and he went off the fucking rails after that game.  His entire site became anti-simms. 

There was a lot of oversteer defending Simms after that.  The “f the haters” idiots who all claimed Simms was some amazing QB.  

And I liked Simms a lot.  I was in law school at the time and used to eat breakfast at Red River Cafe every morning after working out at the Rec.  Used to bullshit with him all the time because he and Babers were always there for breakfast.  But he was average until his senior year.  And then he was just above average.  

HF probably from around '02 I guess?  All I recall is from the very start my wife (even when we were dating) complaining about how much time I spent on there.  I just now looked & according to HF, I'm "1,000+ posts" & I've been a member since Jan. 11, 2000 but also haven't posted since Jan. 11, 2000.

?

I recall being suspended 1x by LHF68 & that probably lasted around 2 days max.

I hadn't even remotely thought of Campus Loopy until the mention on page 1 of this thread.  If there ever was a bootlicker, it's that guy.

I got there in 2000 I believe.  I got time out for asking for Rose Bowl tickets (Michigan one) without naming a price or something trivial like that.  Then again the next year as well.  I never understood why they cared about negotiating price on tickets.  Im sure it was a power thing for Katy, nothing more. 

I was also superstitious in the game day threads and said something of the likes "Think I'll skip the game today and play golf instead".

10 hours ago, skipperj said:

Simms-Applewhite was the worst time in recent history for our fans. It set the tone for everything after it. 

First major controversy in the internet era, I guess.  We started auto-cannibalizing.  It's never stopped.