Andrew Jones

Machinator

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Words can’t explain how incredibly blessed and honored I am to be able to participate in such a wonderful event. I appreciate theJimmy V foundation and Dick Vitale for allowing me to share my story with others. I was fortunate to build and create lifelong relationships that will never be forgotten. God has put me in a position in life to motivate and inspire those who are currently going through the same battles I went through. Cancer continues to affect millions of family’s across the world, but the Jimmy V foundation gives hope that one day we will win this battle against this deadly disease. I look forward to attending more galas and raising more money to help those in need.

image.png.f94465feb10e9e2a84c7efa39717395b.png

image.png.162e2a34dd24244fa8c3e6aca266e40d.png

image.png.46743f941b66bfcb7ab53aec0865d6ff.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hammerhead said:

True this.  Tnought they were just slacks/pants that were too small.  ha ha ..

Not sure I could pull those off. And I for damn sure would never have guessed that look was considered fashionable dress wear. Although admittedly, I still occasionally wear cargo shorts with no fucks given when I have a bunch of misc shit I need on me, so wtf do I know. 

6 hours ago, jeevsie said:

'scuse me for a sec while I google culottes.

i dunno why, but tl me it sounds like a racial epithet for people from Louisiana. "I'm sick and tired of all these goddamn culottes everywhere, i can't understand a word they say, go back to where you came from!"

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, jeevsie said:

'scuse me for a sec while I google culottes.

"Culottes, believe it or not, started very differently from how we know them today. They were originally created in the late 1600’s as part of the male nobility’s official dress. Back then culottes were skinny capri style pants worn over leggings." 

Edited by LTtxfan

8 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i dunno why, but tl me it sounds like a racial epithet for people from Louisiana. "I'm sick and tired of all these goddamn culottes everywhere, i can't understand a word they say, go back to where you came from!"

I'm going more Spanish - Esos pinches culottes me valen verga.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

that's tight. good for him. 

I first heard the term “tight” used in October/November of 1997.

It’s cool to see that it’s still being used nearly 24 years later and that I know what it means.

👨🏼‍🦳

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This kid is amazing.

Texas guard Andrew Jones announced Friday that he is partnering with the the V Foundation for Cancer Research. Jones pledged to donate 10 cents from every NIL dollar he receives to the foundation started by former NC State head coach Jim Valvano.

“The money donated to the V Foundation played a major part not only in my ability to receive proper treatment but maintain confidence in both my recovery and eventual return to basketball,” said Jones. “To be able to share my story on how this foundation has impacted my life while paying that forward to future families impacted by cancer is an honor.”

“We are thrilled to have the support of Andrew in our mission to fund game-changing cancer research,” said Jeremy Jones, Director of Brand & Influencer Partnerships for the V Foundation. “He will be a pioneer and role model for the future of collegiate NIL nonprofit partnerships.”

Jones was diagnosed with leukemia during his sophomore season. The Longhorn and college basketball communities rallied around the star guard, helping to raise over $130,000 for his medical expenses.

He received treatment at the MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, and received medical redshirts for the 2017-18 and 2018-19 seasons. He returned for the 2019-20 season where he was an All-Big 12 honorable mention. He is currently in sixth season at Texas and is averaging 10.1 points per game in 2021-22.

Jones received a bachelor’s degree in Physical Culture and Sport in May of 2021.

More details about Jones’ story can be found here, where an option to donate to the V Foundation is available. Jones’ fund has a stated $100,000 goal.

The V Foundation for Cancer Research was founded in 1993 by Valvano and ESPN. The V Foundation has funded nearly $290 million in cancer research grants nationwide through a competitive process. 100% of direct donations is awarded to cancer research and programs.

• Hook 'Em 6

3 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

This kid is amazing.

Texas guard Andrew Jones announced Friday that he is partnering with the the V Foundation for Cancer Research. Jones pledged to donate 10 cents from every NIL dollar he receives to the foundation started by former NC State head coach Jim Valvano.

“The money donated to the V Foundation played a major part not only in my ability to receive proper treatment but maintain confidence in both my recovery and eventual return to basketball,” said Jones. “To be able to share my story on how this foundation has impacted my life while paying that forward to future families impacted by cancer is an honor.”

“We are thrilled to have the support of Andrew in our mission to fund game-changing cancer research,” said Jeremy Jones, Director of Brand & Influencer Partnerships for the V Foundation. “He will be a pioneer and role model for the future of collegiate NIL nonprofit partnerships.”

Jones was diagnosed with leukemia during his sophomore season. The Longhorn and college basketball communities rallied around the star guard, helping to raise over $130,000 for his medical expenses.

He received treatment at the MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, and received medical redshirts for the 2017-18 and 2018-19 seasons. He returned for the 2019-20 season where he was an All-Big 12 honorable mention. He is currently in sixth season at Texas and is averaging 10.1 points per game in 2021-22.

Jones received a bachelor’s degree in Physical Culture and Sport in May of 2021.

More details about Jones’ story can be found here, where an option to donate to the V Foundation is available. Jones’ fund has a stated $100,000 goal.

The V Foundation for Cancer Research was founded in 1993 by Valvano and ESPN. The V Foundation has funded nearly $290 million in cancer research grants nationwide through a competitive process. 100% of direct donations is awarded to cancer research and programs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I get it if he wants to move on after 6 years and that’s fine- it might well be time. 
I don’t see a. Nba roster in his future (hope I’m wrong). This is the kind of guy we need to get serious money to if we want to be a hoops power. Can’t lose non nba guys that are outstanding college players over money (which I’m not saying happened here)

Best of luck man- what a great horn. 

A 7th year with a program is too long IMO.  He needs to move on with his life. And we need some fresh blood.  Everybody wins. I don't think he left over money as much as opportunity to do something new.  And the window to be a pro basketball player is pretty narrow, regardless of the league he ends up playing in.

I hope he eventually finds his way back to the program in some capacity.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I get it if he wants to move on after 6 years and that’s fine- it might well be time. 
I don’t see a. Nba roster in his future (hope I’m wrong). This is the kind of guy we need to get serious money to if we want to be a hoops power. Can’t lose non nba guys that are outstanding college players over money (which I’m not saying happened here)

Best of luck man- what a great horn. 

He won’t get drafted and won’t stick on a roster. Also not an “outstanding” college player. Solid player. Great guy. Best of luck. 

45 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

He won’t get drafted and won’t stick on a roster. Also not an “outstanding” college player. Solid player. Great guy. Best of luck. 

That first sentence is how I see it playing out but I’m mot ready to categorically say he has zero chance to make a roster but that’s the way I would bet. 

13 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That first sentence is how I see it playing out but I’m mot ready to categorically say he has zero chance to make a roster but that’s the way I would bet. 

Not athletic enough and not a good enough shooter. 

Would take guys like him on my college team all day, but he’s a college role player. 

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, he was a 12 ppg guy at a pretty high D1 level for ~ 4 seasons.  That's a bit better than "role player".  But yeah, NBA options are few.  I hope he lands somewhere, either there or overseas.

I’d consider anyone who isn’t a star on the team a role player. Semantics, but role player has a negative connotation and it shouldn’t. He averaged 12 ppg. Probably good for 3rd best scorer on most functional good teams. Had he actually played on a well coached functional team, he would’ve averaged fewer points but still been a valuable 3rd or 4th scorer. Because of his lack of athleticism and height, he was never much of a defender or rebounder.  Because of his lack of relative talent, he couldn’t handle the ball.  He did not fill up a stat sheet as a result.  He was a decent, streaky scorer.  A valuable ROLE.

He never should’ve had seasons where he led the team in scoring, and when he did we were not well coached or bereft of talent. This year Beard willed a team to the 2nd round with a team largely bereft of talent. He was a good player on some middling and many poorly coached teams.