Spurs finalizing deal to send Kawhi to Toronto

Goo Punch

he's drake's problem now:

http://amp.usatoday.com/story/794886002

The drama surrounding two-time All-NBA forward Kawhi Leonard and the San Antonio Spurs appears to be close to a resolution.

The Spurs are finalizing a deal to send Leonard to the Toronto Raptors in a trade involving All-Star shooting guard DeMar DeRozan, according to ESPN.

Edited by Goo Punch

San Antonio Spurs and Toronto Raptors have been engaged in serious talks about a trade that featuring Kawhi Leonard and DeMar DeRozan, reports Shams Charania of Yahoo! Sports.

According to the reports, the two sides have talked in the past week, and that the only "snag" in completing the deal are the key figures on which the deal is centered.

Leonard has reportedly wanted out of San Antonio after an injury–plagued season, with his prefered destination being Los Angeles.

The Lakers, Clippers, Boston Celtics and Philadelphia 76ers have been been discussed as possible trade partners with the Spurs.

Leonard has one year and a player option left on his current deal and is set to make $20.1 million in 2018–19. He still qualifies for a five-year, $219 supermax contract.

Yeah, no shit. A dude who allegedly wants a brighter spotlight and more attention isn't going to dig getting sent out of country.

The Lowry/DeRozan backcourt was destined to end sooner than later--and I'm sure Kawhi is a better player than Toronto ever dreamed of getting for one of them--but this doesn't make a lot of sense. It's a one-year rental of a disgruntled player. There's not going to be a Paul George happy ending.

1 minute ago, Orca of Peace said:

a mistake for any team to get KL for 1 year, unloadign so many assets, for an unhappy players who won't give a shit about the team or his performance. Dumb move Raptors. 

They unloaded a late first and Poetl in addition to DeRozan.

The Raptors probably want to start from scratch getting rid of Derozens contract is essential for to that end, as he’s a very limited player especially in the playoffs.  They probably know as well as anybody that Kawhi is most likely gone a year from now.

As for the Spurs, I posted a month ago that if they or their fans thought they were getting some kind windfall from this they were deluding themselves.  Was never going to happen.  They got Kyrie’d.

wow.  really thought the spurs could get more than that.  DDR is fine i suppose, but there are young players on toronto i like better than poeltl  and a top 20 protected pick is ok, but you'd think they could get more.

Edited by BigOrange1

Just now, Message Board User said:

The Raptors probably want to start from scratch getting rid of Derozens contract is essential for to that end, as he’s a very limited player especially in the playoffs.  They probably know as well as anybody that Kawhi is most likely gone a year from now.

As for the Spurs, I posted a month ago that if they or their fans thought they were getting some kind windfall from this they were deluding themselves.  Was never going to happen.  They got Kyrie’d.

Absolutely. Assuming Uncle Dennis hasn't completely corrupted Kawhi, they're going to have as good a shot as any for a one-year run before beginning a rebuild that was coming anyway.

8 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Absolutely. Assuming Uncle Dennis hasn't completely corrupted Kawhi, they're going to have as good a shot as any for a one-year run before beginning a rebuild that was coming anyway.

I mean, I guess I see the logic in taking a real shot at the Finals for one year in the post-LeBron East, and getting out from under your biggest contract at the same time. But not every team should be looking to blow it up and rebuild if they can't realistically win a title. It's okay to be a good, fun team. And now they've traded 2-3 years of their best (an All-NBA one at that) and most popular player for a dude who will be counting down the seconds until his free agency, won't embrace Toronto like DeMar had, and will continue being mute. Of course, none of that matters if they win 60 games.

The San Antonio Spurs have agreed to trade Kawhi Leonard and Danny Green to Toronto for DeMar DeRozan, Jakob Poeltl and a protected 2019 first-round pick, league sources tell ESPN. Toronto’s first-round pick to San Antonio is a protected 1-20 selection. After one year, it becomes two second-round picks.

I don't think this is a bad idea for Toronto. They get to take a chance on a huge upgrade for a player that was never going to take them to the ECF anyways. That team needs a shake up. If I'm Toronto though, I probably look to see what I can get for Kawhi at the deadline from the Lakers. If both teams are struggling, I could see Toronto wanting to get younger and get something for Kawhi.  

9 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Good grief what a terrible decision. The impact of this stupidity doesn't really hit you until see the money he's leaving behind. 

The shitty part for him is he's going to have to play this year regardless of how he feels. If he doesn't play, I don't think there will be teams jumping at the opportunity to sign a guy to $35 million per year who has not played for 2 teams in 2 seasons by his own choice. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

wow.  really thought the spurs could get more than that.  DDR is fine i suppose, but there are young players on toronto i like better than poeltl  and a top 20 protected pick is ok, but you'd think they could get more.

Not for a rental of an already disgruntled player.    Getting an all-star that should flourish in SA's system is best case scenario

22 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

correct.    If/when KAwhi leaves next yr they will have one 1 yr left on Fuck Kyle Lowry's deal and can clear the deck and start over

4 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I mean, I guess I see the logic in taking a real shot at the Finals for one year in the post-LeBron East, and getting out from under your biggest contract at the same time. But not every team should be looking to blow it up and rebuild if they can't realistically win a title. It's okay to be a good, fun team. And now they've traded 2-3 years of their best (an All-NBA one at that) and most popular player for a dude who will be counting down the seconds until his free agency, won't embrace Toronto like DeMar had, and will continue being mute. Of course, none of that matters if they win 60 games.

The thing is, the Raptors were in position to rebuild in 2020 anyway because much of their salary comes off the books then. It was either run it back with the same core that can't progress beyond the ECF, or at least try something new before they reset.

4 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

Good grief what a terrible decision. The impact of this stupidity doesn't really hit you until see the money he's leaving behind. 

The shitty part for him is he's going to have to play this year regardless of how he feels. If he doesn't play, I don't think there will be teams jumping at the opportunity to sign a guy to $35 million per year who has not played for 2 teams in 2 seasons by his own choice. 

He's going to be able to make $190mill next year. He will be just fine.

5 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

I don't think this is a bad idea for Toronto. They get to take a chance on a huge upgrade for a player that was never going to take them to the ECF anyways. That team needs a shake up. If I'm Toronto though, I probably look to see what I can get for Kawhi at the deadline from the Lakers. If both teams are struggling, I could see Toronto wanting to get younger and get something for Kawhi.  

An under-reported part of the deal.    They can still trade him before the deadline.   They can get a player or two from the Lakers instead of losing him for nothing.  They may not get as much as was offered to SA but they may be willing to take on younger players that SA didn't want.

1 minute ago, Message Board User said:

Maybe I’ve just seen too much of DD in the playoffs the last few years but I really don’t think he’s one of the top 30 players in the League and he’s not worth the 28 million he’ll be paid for the next 2-3 years.

playing in TOR with no system and they were trying to rely on him as "the man" he wasn't going to look good.     For SA with Pop putting him in situations to succeed I suspect he will be VERY good for them.

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

So SA also included Green, the one Spur who publicly defended Kawhi. Coincidence, just how the money worked out, or something else?

Expiring contract, lots of wing types on the roster now with Derozan, and younger players like White/Walker. 

From a purely $ standpoint I would have rather dumped Mills or Gasol but this probably makes the most sense from a roster standpoint. 

8 minutes ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Maybe.  IT just signed for the vet minimum. Memories are short if you don't perform or have injuries.  You ALWAYS take the money.  

Were the Spurs prepared to offer him that contract right now, though? Even after what he just did to them coupled with his injury? But if they were going to make him prove it this year as well, then him being in Toronto doing it is not much different. 

My underlying point to my post was that he is still making a shit load of money either way. And all these stars have other sources of income mainly from endorsements. So they can easily make up the difference. Kawhi was not happy with SA any longer so any amount of money was not going to sway him. And I don't blame him. It was toxic for both sides and time to move on. He's going to end up in LA most likely where he will be happy. 

• Like 1

Were the Spurs prepared to offer him that contract right now, though? Even after what he just did to them coupled with his injury? But if they were going to make him prove it this year as well, then him being in Toronto doing it is not much different.  My underlying point to my post was that he is still making a shit load of money either way. And all these stars have other sources of income mainly from endorsements. So they can easily make up the difference. Kawhi was not happy with SA any longer so any amount of money was not going to sway him. And I don't blame him. It was toxic for both sides and time to move on. He's going to end up in LA most likely where he will be happy. 

Kawhi can't make shit in endorsements.  

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Were the Spurs prepared to offer him that contract right now, though? Even after what he just did to them coupled with his injury? But if they were going to make him prove it this year as well, then him being in Toronto doing it is not much different. 

My underlying point to my post was that he is still making a shit load of money either way. And all these stars have other sources of income mainly from endorsements. So they can easily make up the difference. Kawhi was not happy with SA any longer so any amount of money was not going to sway him. And I don't blame him. It was toxic for both sides and time to move on. He's going to end up in LA most likely where he will be happy. 

Why would anyone pay Kawhi endorsement money?  He has no personality.  Personality sells shoes.  His uncle is trying to make Kawhi into something he is not for his own benefit.  The best thing for Kawhi was to stay in SA, sign the supermax, compete for titles and focus on basketball.  Kawhi is never going to be the James Harden type of superstar and probably has no desire to be.

Edited by Hate
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

He's going to be able to make $190mill next year. He will be just fine.

Yes,  he will be "fine", but he left a shit ton of money on the table for being a fucking crybaby.

Edited by Tylerocks

There was nothing stopping him from endorsing crap in SA. He just isn’t a salesman and becoming a Laker isn’t going to instantly give him a personality. Good luck not talking to the media in Toronto or LA, you fucking mute.

Id be interested to see the take home numbers compared between the 3 following scenarios:

No state income tax living in Texas

Exchange rate for what Kawhi is about to make living in Canada vs living in no state income Texas for this year

the 4/140 contract he can sign in LA-what would his take home be after those marvelous taxes living out there. I'll hang up and listen

Just now, Tylerocks said:

Yes,  he will be "fine", he left a shit ton of money on the table for being a fucking crybaby.

But as I said in my follow up post, at what point do you separate money from happiness? He was not happy in SA. At all. Wanted nothing to do with them. It became toxic for both sides. Do you allow money to control your life? KD took paycuts to go somewhere he wanted. Dirk took paycuts because he liked Dallas. These dudes are not worried about money for the rest of their lives when you are making that salary and endorsements. Kawhi seems to want to play for LA. He will gladly make a little less to be able to do it. 

2 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

But as I said in my follow up post, at what point do you separate money from happiness? He was not happy in SA. At all. Wanted nothing to do with them. It became toxic for both sides. Do you allow money to control your life? KD took paycuts to go somewhere he wanted. Dirk took paycuts because he liked Dallas. These dudes are not worried about money for the rest of their lives when you are making that salary and endorsements. Kawhi seems to want to play for LA. He will gladly make a little less to be able to do it. 

doesnt kawhi still drive a 98 suburban?