Truck Nuts

BurntOrange&White

19 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

Love my K02's. Taken me everywhere I've asked them to, including to places that other folks had to air down, and have 30k miles on them and still look brand new. 

We have abandoned them on our work truck fleet of F250's. They cup too fast and last 1/2 what the old KO's did. It sucks because I always loved the KO's I have run on every truck I have owned.  Switched to Toyo Open Country and they certainly last much longer. I do think they have around 20% more road noise than the BFG's.

Edited by HOOKEM4

Just now, HOOKEM4 said:

We have abandoned them on our work truck fleet of F250's. They cup too fast and last 1/2 what the old KO's did. It sucks because I always loved the KO's I have run on every truck I have owned.  Switched to Toyo Open Country and they certainly last much better. I do think they have around 20% more road noise over the BFG's.

I have heard that. Not exactly an issue on my Tacoma.

14 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

They do seem be “better” on lighter vehicles, but cupping isn’t the fault of the tire anyway. Maybe they weren’t balanced well?

We ended up rotating them every 3k miles and it didn't seem to matter. We are talking 12-15 trucks so I am not sure the balance is the issue. Unless discount tire is consistently bad on every tire.

Yeah, leaning towards either KO2s or Duratracs right now.  I want the Snow & Ice rating since we're in the mountains a lot and the Michelins don't have it for some reason.  And I want something a little more aggressive on the LC.  Love the LTX M/S2 that we have on the wife's SUV.  They are great tires.
People rave about the Duratracs in mud and snow, seems to be an all around great tire. It was between those and Nitto Ridge Grapplers for me. I went with the Nittos and they have been great for me off road, in the rain, and are pretty quiet on road. Have heard they are good in snow as well but I haven't driven mine in snow.

10 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

The Duratracs are better in the slushy stuff, but they have very weak sidewalls. K02 are basically the opposite. Great in the dry and probably the strongest sidewalls on an A/T.

K02 have been great in southern Utah and Big Bend.

Both are Load Range E LT tires.  How would the Duratracs have such weak sidewalls?

36 minutes ago, KuЯdt said:
3 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
Yeah, leaning towards either KO2s or Duratracs right now.  I want the Snow & Ice rating since we're in the mountains a lot and the Michelins don't have it for some reason.  And I want something a little more aggressive on the LC.  Love the LTX M/S2 that we have on the wife's SUV.  They are great tires.

People rave about the Duratracs in mud and snow, seems to be an all around great tire. It was between those and Nitto Ridge Grapplers for me. I went with the Nittos and they have been great for me off road, in the rain, and are pretty quiet on road. Have heard they are good in snow as well but I haven't driven mine in snow.

My Nittos on the 4Runner feel like I’ve skates on Austin roads when wet. Great off road though

Both are Load Range E LT tires.  How would the Duratracs have such weak sidewalls?

I dunno, it could even be a tread compound thing. It’s all anecdotal, but I have just read about them slicing and puncturing more easily when dealing with sharper rocks.

The rating is of course a load rating, so two different tires could be much different WRT puncture resistance.

However, since KO2 are pretty much only in E load range (except a few really small sizes), it could be that people are comparing to C or D range Duratracs, which are popular. So, an E range one is likely fine.

All that said, KO2s definitely have overbuilt sidewalls. They are super strong.

• Like 1

I was just researching tires the other day for my Tacoma and a guy from some offroad shop called the BFGs "Dad tires."   Made me laugh, they definitely have a cult following among old guys... err, guys my age.  I guess because they were the only good AT for a long time.  Lots of other choices now.  

Edited by Your Mom

23 hours ago, bigshark88 said:

Opinions are like assholes but I like the Michelin LTX A/T2s.  Good bite on a slimy boat ramp or the two track leading to the deer lease with absolutely zero road noise.  I am a big fan of the Michelin LTX series overall.  As long as you rotate and document the rotations the warranty is really strong. 

Really like these as well.  Not as aggressive looking as the BFG but they will last 100k miles if you take care of them.

On 10/15/2019 at 8:58 AM, bigshark88 said:

I have now run my 2018 Tundra with 38 gal tank down to the low fuel light twice.  Low fuel light seems to come on with about 6 or 7 gallons left in the tank.  Not 100% sure all 6 or 7 gallons are usable but they're there in a pinch.  A little bit annoying but just something to keep in mind.  

Well if you were towing then the light would be coming on with about 50 miles left, which seems about standard for vehicles.

I’m on my second set of Cooper Discoverer AT’s. They are a significant improvement over the BFG KO2’s. I was barely getting 40k out of a set of KO2’s and the wear pattern was crap as well as the wet road performance, ride quality when towing, etc. I’m sticking with the Cooper’s even though I never would have considered them until my tire guy convinced me to try a set.

• Like 1

I need to get a ride for my Mom.

Came across this on FB Marketplace; don't know what the general reliability is for this (essentially is the newer body style version of the S-10 Blazer).

2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer · LT Sport Utility 4D

73388511_567816183989486_979012922967588

2003 white Chevrolet Trailbazer LT 170k Miles V6 Engine and automatic transmission.

Cold AC/heat power locks and Windows cruise control.

Cd player. Nice Interior. Alloy wheels Good tires. Nice sporty Suv in great condition. $1900 FIRM!!! Clear title New State inspection No low Ballers serious buyers only. No payments

73513562_567816427322795_777987246254771

72540440_567816737322764_190509867618376

Thoughts from the Shag hive mind?

Asking price is $ 1,900.00.

Trailblazer didn't use the Vortec 4.3?  Interesting.  That's the engine I had in my '95 Blazer (aka S10 Blazer but rebranded that year) and also in my '03 Celbrity 190 bowrider boat.  That's a really solid engine, never had any issues with it in either vehicle.

On 9/23/2019 at 8:54 PM, fattyflattie said:

Further, you have to be pumping some real power to “need” anything bigger than 4” back.  Big big power.   That dude just must have a huge dick and wants to let us know.  

Some folks like the sound of a 5" compared to a 4" as the 5" has a deeper sound. 

12 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

any f150 diesel owners here ?

I took a long at those when purchasing company trucks back in March.  I like the idea of diesel but don't like all the required emissions gadgetry.  It's enough of a pain with my own F350.  Having 3 more headaches driven by employees would put me over the edge.

I chickened out and went with new gassers.  

• Like 1

I’m loving the diesel mpg but the V8 coyote is greatness. I had a f150 V8 back In the day and loved it. 

I’ll have a car allowance but paying for my own gas. I’ll be tearing up the golden triangle / Houston / Victoria / corpus / San Antonio / back to Houston triangle

I’m focusing on a king ranch f150 coyote or possibly a diesel. Holding off test driving because I’m ready to buy. Need to research the 2021’s a little further 

The F150 diesel has about 30 or so fewer pounds of peak torque compared to the 3.5 turbo gas engine, but it hits that peak under 2000 rpms and keeps it for quite a while up into the revs. 

The gas engines hits the peak torque number much higher in the rev range. 

1 hour ago, Anton Chigurh said:

The 2nd gen 3.5 EB does make peak torque from 2250-3500 though, so it’s no slouch.

What years is Gen 2? My buddy pulls the boat every few trips and it seems like it’s always rapping out.  Tons of ass when it’s on the pins, not so much the rest of the time.  Like can’t hold 6th at 75 from Houston to POC, stays in 5th to keep from the back and forth shifting on anthills. 

*note-viewing this as a diesel owner. Mine gets in 6th and won’t drop a gear if I wanted to, just builds a bit of boost. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2019 at 7:35 PM, tx 3 putt said:

any f150 diesel owners here ?

We had a RR Sport with that diesel in it. Mileage was stupid good, diesel sound/experience was minimal, it pulled well towing, had zero issues out of it, etc. I’m not sure how much of that applies to it’s use in the F150, but we tried buying another one and they just haven’t gone over well in the RR so availability was limited. It’s not going to go anywhere in a hurry though.

Was doing some research on midsize trucks and on the Ranger in particular, and ran across the linked article in which the author makes the statement that "If there's one number that sums up a truck's capability, it's the [gross vehicle weight rating]."  I don't think I've ever seen GVWR touted as a direct indicator of toughness/capability in this way, but I'm no automotive expert.  Any thoughts about the author's claim?  (I know the author owns a Ranger, so he might be justifying his own purchase to an extent.)  

https://www.outsideonline.com/2398608/2019-ford-ranger-full-review

On 11/5/2019 at 1:10 PM, Gene Parmesan said:

I'm under the impression that going diesel for fuel savings doesn't usually work out numbers wise.  Am I wrong in that assumption?

Well, there’s resale aspect too. Even diesels that have been put up wet still command ignorant amounts of money. And people line up to buy them. Also, a 300k mile diesel still has some life left, not usually the case with a gasser. So if you plan to keep it for awhile, replacement costs factor in. The only time it would get close on pure fuel savings is in the 3/4-1-ton types imo.  When I had stock tires etc I was at 21.5@71-72. 19 @75.   A comparable gas 3/4-ton wouldn’t touch that. But largely your assumption is correct.