Truck Nuts

BurntOrange&White

16 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

Was doing some research on midsize trucks and on the Ranger in particular, and ran across the linked article in which the author makes the statement that "If there's one number that sums up a truck's capability, it's the [gross vehicle weight rating]."  I don't think I've ever seen GVWR touted as a direct indicator of toughness/capability in this way, but I'm no automotive expert.  Any thoughts about the author's claim?  (I know the author owns a Ranger, so he might be justifying his own purchase to an extent.)  

https://www.outsideonline.com/2398608/2019-ford-ranger-full-review

GVWR is basically the maximum limit of the vehicle per the manufacturer.  So generally yes the higher number will be more capable of carrying more.  They aren't the same but it's similar to payload capacity that's heavily used in advertising in America.

GVWR = Weight of truck (no passengers) + Payload (passengers and whatever else)

I'm pretty intrigued by the Ranger, but you can get close to or over $40K in some trims, which is insane IMO.  Reliability is a still a bit of a question mark because it's a new model, but I'm betting that it will be relatively reliable given its Aussie roots, the fact that some of its primary components are already proven in other applications, and Ford's general history with trucks.

32 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

It's top trims are 40k but top F150 trims are north of 60. 

All trucks are stupid expensive now. 

Yes but pretty much 12 months out of the year they offer major discounts on full size trucks.  They don't do that on the midsized market.  At least they weren't when I was looking a few years ago. 

6 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Some people have zero desire for a full-size though. Like me.

I agree.  It's just counter intuitive from the history vehicles.  Compact cars are considerably cheaper than their full sized sedan counter parts because extra capacity is a premium, but now less capacity is a premium for trucks.   

I’ve been looking at getting a truck for a while. Never owned one. Always driven a Tahoe and now I’m in my wife’s ‘15 suburban. Want to pull trigger soon. F-150 seems to be what I like the looks of the most, but I haven’t driven anything yet. I seem to find more V6 options out there and just found a V8 that seems to cover other options I’m looking for (I think I have an idea). I have time next week and plan on going to drive a couple trucks.

I’m not really pulling anything, just want a truck because I always hated trying to load large stuff in my Tahoe. I don’t drive a lot for work, head between Houston and Austin a handful of times a year.

54 minutes ago, kmac30 said:

I’ve been looking at getting a truck for a while. Never owned one. Always driven a Tahoe and now I’m in my wife’s ‘15 suburban. Want to pull trigger soon. F-150 seems to be what I like the looks of the most, but I haven’t driven anything yet. I seem to find more V6 options out there and just found a V8 that seems to cover other options I’m looking for (I think I have an idea). I have time next week and plan on going to drive a couple trucks.

I’m not really pulling anything, just want a truck because I always hated trying to load large stuff in my Tahoe. I don’t drive a lot for work, head between Houston and Austin a handful of times a year.

If you are looking at Ford the reason you are seeing so many V6 options is because the ecoboost engines are pretty popular.  Ford offers the standard V6 not that popular, 2.7Lecoboost, and a 3.5Lecoboost.  The 3.5 is their most powerful engine.  If you weren't familiar with their engines it would be confusing thinking you would want a V8 over the V6.  You may still want the V8 for various reasons, but just giving you some background.

The idea behind the ecoboost is better gas mileage when just doing normal vehicle stuff (not towing or hauling) and the turbos kick in when towing/hauling or lead foot and boost power but reduce mileage.

I bought my f150 in January and love it so far
3.5 eco boost tons of power
I get 16-17 around town and close to 20 if I keep it under 75
I have bigger tires on it too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, kmac30 said:

I'm the opposite, I absolutely loved my Tahoe and never once considered a pickup.

But when I got a new RV, I needed something with better towing capability than any of the modern SUVs out there, so moving to a pickup was really my only option.  It also had to be a daily driver for everyday commute.  So I drove every option out there, both 1/2 ton and 3/4, in both gas V8 and turbo diesel, and I ended up on the F150 Supercrew 3.5L Ecoboost w/ max tow package because it had the best combination of power, towing capacity, interior cabin room, and driveability, for my purposes.

And I'm so glad I did, because I absolutely love this truck.

But definitely go test drive a bunch, what's right for others won't necessarily be right for you.

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Just dropped the ford off for servicing, no heat to the cabin. 
lady said it was probably the blend door actuator, and that they replaced a me yesterday as well. Is this a common issue?

no heater/defroster in November in Wyoming is less than ideal. 

Pretty much every Ford I have ever owned had a blend door failure. They are notorious for failing and the cost to fix on the new trucks is insane. Google how to replace it. They have to take half the interior apart. 

I picked up a Ranger SuperCab 4x2 XLT with the 6' bed for our new office runner vehicle this morning. 24K out the door.

1st impressions:

- It hauls ass. Very quick off the line with minimal turbo lag. A lot of fun to drive. My 17 year old self would have jizzed himself over this truck.

- Bumpy ride but it's a small truck, par for the course. The rear-end likes to get crazy over rough washboard type surfaces. Highway ride is good.

- Interior is great. It's quiet. The center console armrest kind of sucks (small, placed too far back and weird shape). Otherwise the seats are comfortable with a lot of adjustment. Stereo with 8" SYNC sounds great. Mf'er has dual-zone AC. The XLT trim has more than enough features for a truck this size, imo. I wouldn't spend the extra money for a Lariat unless you just absolutely require heated leather seats.

- 6' bed is fantastic. They really need to offer the SuperCrew with it. I'm sure that option is coming soon. I'll be putting a hard shell tonneau cover on it shortly.

Toyota really, really needs to blow the dust off of the Tacoma. I know Ranger reliability has yet to be seen but this truck is nicer than the Tacoma in every conceivable metric.

ranger.jpg

ranger2.jpg

Edited by smuggs
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Mirrors and rear end gearing. On the F-150 they dont have stiffer suspension. 

F150 max tow package also has oil/trans coolers, larger fuel tank, upgrades hitch, trailer brakes, etc. If you are towing heavier loads I would recommend it.

Edited by Brew

Truck is back. Final verdict is me being ignorant and stupid. Crack in radiator hose. Slow leak. Coolant level drops. No coolant  flowing to heater core. 

so that liquid that was on the driveway that wasn’t oil but wasn’t water, turns out it was antifreeze. Didn’t occur to me because I never smelled that sweet smell of burning glycol. 

I'm the opposite, I absolutely loved my Tahoe and never once considered a pickup.
But when I got a new RV, I needed something with better towing capability than any of the modern SUVs out there, so moving to a pickup was really my only option.  It also had to be a daily driver for everyday commute.  So I drove every option out there, both 1/2 ton and 3/4, in both gas V8 and turbo diesel, and I ended up on the F150 Supercrew 3.5L Ecoboost w/ max tow package because it had the best combination of power, towing capacity, interior cabin room, and driveability, for my purposes.
But definitely go test drive a bunch, what's right for others won't necessarily be right for you.
How much RV are you towing? How heavy is it?

3 hours ago, bigshark88 said:
On 11/14/2019 at 11:49 AM, utee94 said:

How much RV are you towing? How heavy is it?

It's 6500 dry, up to 9500 wet and loaded.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2019 at 12:08 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

I like the idea of heavier suspension and brakes in a 3/4 but if I can get all that on a half ton I think I’d be just as happy. 

You may be able to get what you are looking for in a 1/2, but it’s not going to be in the same ballpark as what a 3/4 will do.  Towing capacities on paper are great and all but when the tail starts wagging the dog, you’ll know it. And pay attention to the brakes in particular, the ability to stop >>>>the ability to move forward if you have any real load on.  

On 11/14/2019 at 11:49 AM, utee94 said:

It also had to be a daily driver for everyday commute.  So I drove every option out there, both 1/2 ton and 3/4, in both gas V8 and turbo diesel, and I ended up on the F150 Supercrew 3.5L Ecoboost w/ max tow package because it had the best combination of power, towing capacity, interior cabin room, and driveability, for my purposes.

I’m assuming that’s what drove you off a 3/4 diesel?

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

You may be able to get what you are looking for in a 1/2, but it’s not going to be in the same ballpark as what a 3/4 will do.  Towing capacities on paper are great and all but when the tail starts wagging the dog, you’ll know it. And pay attention to the brakes in particular, the ability to stop >>>>the ability to move forward if you have any real load on.  

I’m assuming that’s what drove you off a 3/4 diesel?

Yup.  

I’m biased, obviously. 1/2 tons don’t even enter the equation for me, like a dually wouldn’t for someone who loves Tacoma’s. But I can understand how people would be apprehensive about having them in the city. I’ve never had any issues, personally. 

eta: you should easily be able to handle that with a 1/2, if that fits you better.   And as long as you tow it responsibly (unlike the guys that pass me at 80 with a toyhauler behind them) it shouldn’t even strain your truck. 8-10k and into the wind and you’ll be feeling it, but nothing a bit of slowing down and taking it easy wouldn't handle. 

Edited by fattyflattie

No, I have a half ton and I didn’t like being in 2nd gear at 4500 rpm going 35 mph all the way up dead Indian pass because it didn’t have the torque to stay in third. 
if the 3.5 and 10 speed could handle it better, I might look at them but I’m thinking I want the 6.2 for up the mountains and the beefier truck for down the mountains, especially if we end up with a 6-8000 lb camper in the near future. 

21 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

No, I have a half ton and I didn’t like being in 2nd gear at 4500 rpm going 35 mph all the way up dead Indian pass because it didn’t have the torque to stay in third. 

I can understand that. I set the cruise control and the only thing you hear is the turbo spool up a bit on inclines.  It takes a helluva incline and load to drop out of 6th. 

23 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

the beefier truck for down the mountains,

That’s where the real towing gains are realized imo. 

On 11/15/2019 at 10:35 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

the cost of ownership gives me pause,

You’ll change fuel filters more often. Other than that? I guess DEF if you leave that on.  Oh and an extra battery when the time comes. 

On 11/15/2019 at 10:35 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

the additional cost it adds to the vehicle. 

Bigger concern here. Although you’ll recoup a bunch when you sell it. Check the price on well used ones, ignorantly high. I don’t know who’s paying that but obviously someone is.  

if the 3.5 and 10 speed could handle it better, I might look at them but I’m thinking I want the 6.2 for up the mountains and the beefier truck for down the mountains, especially if we end up with a 6-8000 lb camper in the near future. 
Mountains are a different ballgame entirely.

23 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
On 11/15/2019 at 10:02 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Read more  

Mountains are a different ballgame entirely.

Yeah, turbos work much better.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

worst car I've ever owned by a mile.

Wow, my experience is the opposite, my wife had one when we got married and it's by far the most reliable and trustworthy vehicle I've ever owned.  When it got to be about 15 years old we sold it and bought a Toyota, which has been among the biggest POS dumpster fires I've ever owned.  Never doing that again.

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

Wow, my experience is the opposite, my wife had one when we got married and it's by far the most reliable and trustworthy vehicle I've ever owned.  When it got to be about 15 years old we sold it and bought a Toyota, which has been among the biggest POS dumpster fires I've ever owned.  Never doing that again.

GF had a corolla, and had good luck with it until it hit about 150,000, then EVERYTHING took a shit on it, at the same time.  It was fine, until the day it became worthless.

My honda was designed shitty, and executed shitty.   

Nothing like motorized seatbelts that shear off the visor when you open the door.   Just a shit car all the way around.   I'd take a 5 year old ford over a new honda any day of the week.