Truck Nuts

BurntOrange&White

On 11/19/2019 at 3:54 PM, Gil Bang said:

GF had a corolla, and had good luck with it until it hit about 150,000, then EVERYTHING took a shit on it, at the same time.  It was fine, until the day it became worthless.

My honda was designed shitty, and executed shitty.   

Nothing like motorized seatbelts that shear off the visor when you open the door.   Just a shit car all the way around.   I'd take a 5 year old ford over a new honda any day of the week. 

I feel like 150,000 is a good run for a car, and significant maintenance is needed to keep them running after that.  Plus if it was owned by a single woman then who knows how well it was maintained.

On 11/22/2019 at 5:54 AM, dingleberryswitzer said:

I feel like 150,000 is a good run for a car

It was in the 80’s.  You can pretty easily wrangle 250k out of a gasser these days with typical  maintenance.  

3 hours ago, jofus said:

Picked up an AT4 over the weekend hopefully it’ll last as long as my Silverado did.

Very nice. Couple of guys at work have those.  Really nice trucks. 

• Like 1

I'm somewhat intrigued by the new LR Defender 90. After Chevrolet completely bastardized the Blazer name and who knows where Ford goes with the Bronco at this point, the Defender 90 looks like a 2 door that actually does justice to the nameplate. The 110 looks like a rebadged more masculine LR4, but the 90 is interesting. My oldest starts driving next year, so I don't need the larger vehicle any more. I may have to at least take a look.

Thanks, now I’m trying to convince myself that trading in my 2017 is justifiable. How much did you get off msrp?

This is a 2019 and I got $10k off MSRP. Ended up being less than the base price for the base AT4.

I shopped around a lot, and this was the only dealer that went that low. (Garlyn Shelton in Temple).

On 11/22/2019 at 3:54 AM, dingleberryswitzer said:

I feel like 150,000 is a good run for a car, and significant maintenance is needed to keep them running after that.  Plus if it was owned by a single woman then who knows how well it was maintained.

Actually, she was a chump for the jiffy lube assholes.  "Transmission flush?  I need that?  OK, if you say so.  And while you're at it, better replace the cabin air filter for 50 bucks too".

cross posting from the recommend me some new tires thread. . .

Need to replace the shitty goodyears that came with my '18 Tundra at 33K miles. . .just very disappointing tires.

Discount tire has a black Friday/cyber Monday 10% rebate.

Thinking Michelin Defender LTX M/S in 275 /55 R20

Anyone got any better ideas?

cross posting from the recommend me some new tires thread. . .

Need to replace the shitty goodyears that came with my '18 Tundra at 33K miles. . .just very disappointing tires.

Discount tire has a black Friday/cyber Monday 10% rebate.

Thinking Michelin Defender LTX M/S in 275 /55 R20

Anyone got any better ideas?

Those are the best tires out there. IMO.
  • Like 2

Really nice truck, and the same one that's been on my mind.  Come back after driving it some more and give your impressions!

I went from a 4.8L 4-speed to a 6.2L 10-speed, so the difference and improvement is huge.

The 10-speed is smooth, but I’m still getting used to being lifted.

I like the multi pro tailgate a lot more than I expected. I thought it might be gimmicky, but it’s pretty helpful.

Took the wife and 3 kids out of town for Thanksgiving, and the bed was loaded up with food, hunting gear, etc., and I didn’t notice the extra weight. I could easily tell the difference in the old truck.

37 minutes ago, jofus said:

I went from a 4.8L 4-speed to a 6.2L 10-speed, so the difference and improvement is huge.

The 10-speed is smooth, but I’m still getting used to being lifted.

I like the multi pro tailgate a lot more than I expected. I thought it might be gimmicky, but it’s pretty helpful.

Took the wife and 3 kids out of town for Thanksgiving, and the bed was loaded up with food, hunting gear, etc., and I didn’t notice the extra weight. I could easily tell the difference in the old truck.

You got the AT4 trim?  How's the ride in that, looks like the off-road tires.  Also, how did you option it out?

Damn, that price is like $6k less than any discounted prices on the web. How'd you manage that? I'm looking at upgrading soon.

Honestly it was just luck that I stumbled upon it. This dealer is Garlyn Shelton in Temple. They had one in stock I liked, so I clicked the “get internet price” button. The one I wanted had been sold, so they sent me a quote for a similar one at a lower than advertised price. They ended up bringing mine in from Huntsville. The deal was made entirely via text with the internet sales manager.

The salesman I worked with in-store told me they’re working to become a volume dealer, and they’ll make a deal just to puff numbers.

I tried to shop the price closer to home, but everyone told me they can’t match it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jofus said:

Honestly it was just luck that I stumbled upon it. This dealer is Garlyn Shelton in Temple. They had one in stock I liked, so I clicked the “get internet price” button. The one I wanted had been sold, so they sent me a quote for a similar one at a lower than advertised price. They ended up bringing mine in from Huntsville. The deal was made entirely via text with the internet sales manager.

The salesman I worked with in-store told me they’re working to become a volume dealer, and they’ll make a deal just to puff numbers.

I tried to shop the price closer to home, but everyone told me they can’t match it.

Damn, the closest ones I can find I'd have to pay for transport across state lines. 

They had a line on a black twin of my truck, which was actually a little cheaper since black isn’t a premium color. No idea on whether this one is still for sale somewhere.

c967092f8732b9c4b11c28556c5441e7.jpg

Edit: here’s a link to this specific truck: https://wiesnerhuntsville.com/New-Car-Inventory/2019-GMC-Sierra_1500-Huntsville-kZ2ahwURZkSftFPsbZIEtg

The cool thing about this one, and mine, is lower MSRP with the 6.2L.

3 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Ouch. I know I would have a dinged up tailgate with that setup since I am one of the assholes that leaves the hitch on 24/7. 

My backup sensors provide me a lovely "alarm" when they detect that thing back there.  It's a pretty good incentive to remove it when not in use.

3 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

since I am one of the assholes that leaves the hitch on 24/7. 

This is the proper procedure? 

9 minutes ago, G650 said:

Everyone's friendly reminder to never, ever ever, evereverever, buy a 6.0L Ford Powerstroke. Under any circumstances.

My buddy just learned this (well he had been advised...)on the truck he bought his kid, to the tune of 8k.   But I think the kid ran it a bit where an adult would have called all stop and had it looked at. I don’t have a use for them but he’s 16 and it’s loaded af with about 105k and bulletproofed so not terrible. Better than I had at 16 for sure. 

17 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

This is the proper procedure? 

My buddy just learned this (well he had been advised...)on the truck he bought his kid, to the tune of 8k.   But I think the kid ran it a bit where an adult would have called all stop and had it looked at. I don’t have a use for them but he’s 16 and it’s loaded af with about 105k and bulletproofed so not terrible. Better than I had at 16 for sure. 

He got off light at 8 grand. I guarantee I at least 40k in this one over its lifetime.

4 hours ago, jofus said:

They had a line on a black twin of my truck, which was actually a little cheaper since black isn’t a premium color. No idea on whether this one is still for sale somewhere.

c967092f8732b9c4b11c28556c5441e7.jpg

Edit: here’s a link to this specific truck: https://wiesnerhuntsville.com/New-Car-Inventory/2019-GMC-Sierra_1500-Huntsville-kZ2ahwURZkSftFPsbZIEtg

The cool thing about this one, and mine, is lower MSRP with the 6.2L.

Thanks for the sleuthing. I actually wasn’t paying attention to the year on your invoice but that’s still a damn good deal. I’m opting for a 2020 so I can get the diesel engine that’s been getting good reviews. 

Thanks for the sleuthing. I actually wasn’t paying attention to the year on your invoice but that’s still a damn good deal. I’m opting for a 2020 so I can get the diesel engine that’s been getting good reviews. 

Yeah the 2019 GMC 6.2L is the only GM 2019 truck that got the 10-speed. I would’ve found a 2020 if the 10-speed wasn’t available. (The 8-speed caused a lot of body shake issues)

Yeah the 2019 GMC 6.2L is the only GM 2019 truck that got the 10-speed. I would’ve found a 2020 if the 10-speed wasn’t available. (The 8-speed caused a lot of body shake issues)

I’ve got an 8 speed 6.2 and can confirm the body shake. It feels like the transmission is going to give out every time it switches from 8 to 4 cylinders.

On 12/4/2019 at 6:33 PM, Coyote said:

I’ve got an 8 speed 6.2 and can confirm the body shake. It feels like the transmission is going to give out every time it switches from 8 to 4 cylinders.

Thanks to you assholes showing off your bad ass new gmc’s, I’m about to seal the deal on a SLT with 5.3L and 10 speed. I think the 5.3 with 4x4 come with the 10. I didn’t notice any shake in my test drive at highway speed.

any other concerns I should be aware of?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

damn that's a nice looking truck, do you mind if I ask what you paid ?

i plan on buying soon, torn between a AT 4 and a King Ranch 

64k including tt&l. I will say that if you value a luxurious cabin above all else, the king ranch is the clear winner. After researching, the at4 out performs in almost all other areas from what I could gather. 

• Like 2