Truck Nuts

BurntOrange&White

20 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

It’s 80%king ranch / 20% at 4

I was down to both as well and really the exterior look of the AT4 plus the possibility of ~30mpg on the highway with the diesel is what made me mind up for me. The interior of the king ranch is so fuckin nice though. The AT4 feels very cheap in comparison.

2 hours ago, TXLNGHRN10 said:

I don't think the new king ranch interior is all that. Friend of mine has a Sierra SLT and I though the interior was just as nice if not nicer then the Lariat / KR and way nicer then the plastic filled XLT interior that I have

I feel the same way. Think the past KR’s were nicer.  

Just picked up the '20 F150 Platinum.  Did the leveling kit and Roll N Lock bed cover.  I really like it.  Also looked at the AT4. The 36 gallon tank and the interior was the difference for me.  I really like the looks of the AT4.  What tires came on the AT4?  Hankook Dynapo AT2 came on the F150.   I have never had them and prefer the BFG K02.  

On 12/21/2019 at 6:23 PM, TankedBevo said:

Pulled the trigger on a 2020 AT4 1500 Sierra with the turbo diesel. Got 500 miles out of my first tank in shitty Dallas traffic. Just got a 2” leveling kit to take out that horrible rake and put a bakflip tonneau cover on which are the only mods I plan on doing. This thing is a blast to drive.

spacer.png

spacer.png

beautiful truck brother. first thing I'd do the minute that thing is out of factory warranty get it deleted. Both DPF and EGR. I have a deleted 6.7 and she runs like a boss. 

50 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Do yourself a favor and shop other tires. KO2's are not the best or the most bang for your buck. They are just riding the legacy at this point. 

I’m trying to get a straight answer from the internet about whether mastercraft tires are the same as cooper, or similar, or only the same manufacturer. I think I’ve found that they use the same compound. If the only difference is price and warranty, then there would be a decision to make. 

3 hours ago, Errestaurants said:

what do you recommend?  I've ran K02's on my 3500 and they've been pretty good. 

Toyo will kill the bfg's in longevity. Michelin if you want better road handling. 

We run a fleet of F250s and use a variety of tires. We used to exclusively run bfg till we noticed they changed the compound. They just dont hold up like they used to or should.

10 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

They just dont hold up like they used to or should.

I agree. They do wear more evenly and stay balanced more than anything else I’ve ever run, though. I switched back to Nitto a set or two ago, and took them back at 1k miles (a week of driving at that time) Much louder and harsher.  But I keep getting less and less miles with each set of KO2’s. Time to do something else. 

6 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I agree. They do wear more evenly and stay balanced more than anything else I’ve ever run, though. I switched back to Nitto a set or two ago, and took them back at 1k miles (a week of driving at that time) Much louder and harsher.  But I keep getting less and less miles with each set of KO2’s. Time to do something else. 

What mileage do you get from the bfg's?

We were seeing 40k before we swapped when we easily would hit 60k on the old compound. 

3 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

What mileage do you get from the bfg's?

We were seeing 40k before we swapped when we easily would hit 60k on the old compound. 

Same. Low to mid 40’s and I change them before they are dangerously bald.  I could eek 50 maybe if I ran them down to nothing (people do, not worth it to me)  But I used to get mid-50’s relatively easy and have friends that run them bald but were upper 70’s.   They’ve changed.  Still a good tire, but not exceptional and pricey for an average tire imo.  If you change vehicles every 100k or less I guess it isn’t a huge concern. 

eta: this is on a 2500 Dmax.  Friends experiences above are on 250 Fords.  I don’t have any info on the guys with 1/2-tons. I’d guess they wear pretty well. 

Edited by fattyflattie

Goodyear wrangler duratracs came on mine. They seem pretty loud on the highway compared the the Nitto Ridge grapplers I just came from but if they really last ~80k as stated above I’ll be with these for quite some time and I think I’ll get used to it. 

Not sure if you’re referring to my post above, but those Goodyears are only rated for 50k miles.

The Michelin ltz lt at2’s used to be rated for 80k, but it looks like they’re down to 60k now.

We have run the toyos hard to 60k and the michelins that come on them for the same. But we need something more aggressive for the land the trucks roll through than the michelins. Our guys abuse the shit out of these trucks and will get stuck on pavement. True specimens we have working for us.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Please explain this a little more to me, thanks 

Diesel particulate filter.   An emissions item that catches particulates in your exhaust then uses fuel to heat up to very hot and burns it out to clean it. You’ll be avg about 18mpg until a regen kicks in (about once a tank normal driving) and you burn off a gallon or gallon and a half, demoing your mpg avg.  Folks have some pretty big claims on mileage gains once removed. They are about $1500 to replace and when/if mine ever goes, it’ll get a pipe in its place.  Knock on wood I have the first year they came out, and haven’t had any issues in 11 yrs/250k miles.  

EGR - exhaust gas recirculation.  Mostly same as in gas vehicles.  Dirties up your oil 10x faster and in general is not best for motor. People block them with a plate (or removal) then use programmer to take off the CEL.   I’m starting to have trouble with mine as of this month.  You can remove and clean the crap out of them, but I might just delete it and add EFI live. My truck is bone stock at moment, don’t really want to tamper with it. But not about spending a ton of money on emissions crap either. 

very common for diesel owners to take emissions crap off as they generally make them less effecient, reliable, and we don’t have to go thru emissions for a sticker.  

• Like 1

On 12/24/2019 at 9:27 AM, Anton Chigurh said:

They are still good because of their super strong sidewall, though. Lots of off-road stuff in sharp rocks in Big Bend and Utah and they still look great.

That said, I am probably trying Cooper ST Maxx next.

I’ve run Cooper’s my last few sets and have been extremely happy with them. They wear about the same rate as the others but for a lot less and I have not had any cupping issues like I did with the BFG’s. The guy that owns the tire shop I use told me I should give them a try several sets back and I haven’t looked back.

10 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Please explain this a little more to me, thanks 

Pretty much what Fattyflattie described. On the newer diesels most of the issues are related to all the new emission crap they put on them. Every issue I've had on my '14  3500 was emission related. At times not running it hard enough so it went into regen to often which can give your turbo problems. With the DPF delete there is no more DEF required. Not that DEF is expensive but its just another thing you have to buy.  Lots of info out there about deleting---pros and cons. 

I have no clue about these diesels on half ton trucks but I know the new diesels on 3/4 and 1 ton trucks are meant to be ran hard. 

1 hour ago, TXLNGHRN10 said:

For you fellow f150 owners, how does yours ride?  My FX4 is stiff as hell. Driving on rough roads beats the hell out of me, i.e. down town or SW parkway.

Has anyone done a shock upgrade? 

My FX4 ride is great, but it's the Platinum version so not sure if that changes anything?

Just got the 20 Platinum.  Leveled and rides on Hankooks.  The ride is great.  Been ferrying around relatives this past week and they all comment on the nice ride, roominess and quality of interior.  Could be they are just being nice because they have been freeloading off of me this past week.  Drank all my beer,  wine and never once found their wallet to pay for a meal.

5 hours ago, Gladeite said:

Just got the 20 Platinum.  Leveled and rides on Hankooks.  The ride is great.  Been ferrying around relatives this past week and they all comment on the nice ride, roominess and quality of interior.  Could be they are just being nice because they have been freeloading off of me this past week.  Drank all my beer,  wine and never once found their wallet to pay for a meal.

Ha!  You gotta love relatives.

Got any pictures?  Which Hankooks?  I've been wanting to go to a more aggressive looking tire but I love the way mine rides currently, and don't want to trade that off.  I'm running Goodyear Eagle LS-2 right now because that's what the dealer put on it before I bought it.

Edited by utee94

F150 Black King Ranch - V8

Planet Ford Spring just emailed with a price that's within 10%. I'll email back and see how low they can go

Autonation Katy didn't have the truck I emailed about but he quoted 3 trucks, lower trim level but very interesting pricing. I've had 3 XLT's, very comfortable truck

Fun little issue today with the f150. Got in and the touchscreen is dead, not even a solid glow. Which meant no radio and no auto climate control and no blue tooth. 
get home and do some YouTubing, find several videos discussing various infotainment interface issues from wont connect to phone to some buttons don’t work. All of them were resolved with a sync reboot accomplished by pulling the appropriate fuse for a few seconds and reinstalling, so I tried that and it worked. Yay, no embarrassing trip to the dealer to be told about some $500 fix as the techs and csas laugh behind my back. 

but I’ll be damned if they didn’t put the fuses in a shit location to get to, behind the passenger door hinges. Had the seat rail digging into my back as I struggled to get eyes on the box to pull the correct fuse. 

many emails / calls / text messages = zero offers

maybe someone will give in tomorrow 

I got this voicemail the other day from Sam Pack in Lewisville:

“Hey this is Ryan at Sam Pack Five-star Fors of Lewisville. hey I wanted to get a hold of you today to let you know that we just got out of the meeting with our general sales manager William Mills and just let us know that we are 32 more sales away from hitting our objectives for December and he said at this point he's making every single deal we just got some extra incentive money from Ford so this is the time goodbye he said he's putting all the money in every deal and he is not missing objective so if you are interested please give us a call cause this is a deal you don't want to mess you can either call or text us at 972-525-5598 we can go over all the details I hope to hear from you soon thanks bye…”

14 hours ago, utee94 said:

Ha!  You gotta love relatives.

Got any pictures?  Which Hankooks?  I've been wanting to go to a more aggressive looking tire but I love the way mine rides currently, and don't want to trade that off.  I'm running Goodyear Eagle LS-2 right now because that's what the dealer put on it before I bought it.

It is the new white color Star White which has a metallic sheen to it.  The leveling kit makes it look great.  They ride on Hankook Dynapro AT2.  The tires are very quiet on the road, track well and seem to hold the road.   I have been trying to break them loose in a big parking lot in the evenings when the cars are not there.  Doing power slides, increasing radius turns at speed, etc...  The tread is semi aggressive.  I want to like the tire, but have not driven in the snow/ice, black clay, crappy limestone ranch roads, etc....

The first thing I usually do with a new truck is swap the tires out for BFG KO2s. I really like that tire and have had great luck offroad and in Colorado.  

Sorry about the pics.  I am pretty good at looking at them, not so good at posting them.

For reference in looking for a new truck, I got $11 and change off sticker for the 20.  I had to buy $1500 worth of add ons on top of that.  Bed liner, wheel liner, door/handle protector and rubber mats.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

many emails / calls / text messages = zero offers

maybe someone will give in tomorrow 

Every time I play the email/phone game, I'm told that they won't talk money unless I come down there in person. Even when I told them I want to buy a truck TODAY, they won't give me an out the door price unless it's face to face.