Truck Nuts

BurntOrange&White

I’m finally getting my spray in bed liner and bakflip cover. So excited 
I’m getting anxious about upgrading the suspension, slap some 33’s in there. 

What suspension shocks will you end up going with?

Saw this today and it looked pretty sweet (stance/height).

a50df9adc0ebd4efb3fd27411be0cfae.pliste7d6565c35cb0b2da4df692ce6c641c6.plistc3a3b7f6674e0387b8d6dda50f7b030d.plist11c030236802b81e9241d43915a966f1.plist03a243c59ddc5e26a33aa7c420a92f4a.plist

46 minutes ago, texhorn said:

2020 SuperDuty facelift looks legit. Still can't stomach $60-70k for a truck. 

i never thought i'd drop $50k for a truck 

i remember several years back being somewhere and they had new trucks out on display. i told my buddy 'man if i had fuck you money, id drop $54k on a denali truck !'

I'm glad I wised up and a got a King Ranch instead 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

I'm glad I wised up and a got a King Ranch instead 

How's that?  Our Denali has been a great truck.

2 hours ago, texhorn said:

2020 SuperDuty facelift looks legit. Still can't stomach $60-70k for a truck. 

Easy 70k for well equipped.  I was pricing 250's last week and $74.5 was best i was seeing on a KR on a '20.  Down from 83k sticker.  I'd prefer a 350 single wheel but not going to pay the premium for it.  5 years ago when a loaded one was 55k, yeah, but not a chance now.  My buddy ordered his '17 KR and got out for 70, back when they first came out.  I thought that was crazy but looks like they took another bump since then.

[mention=618]texas08[/mention]  What is the thought process behind building a raptor in lieu of grabbing a factory one?  Even better components, cheaper, other?    I've never really looked into the Raptors in detail as they wouldn't work great for what I do, but just curious. 
Truck looks great btw. 

Disclaimer. Those are not my trucks...but I do know people who have very similar modded trucks and I know that Baja world very well.

It honestly comes down to time and money vs no time and not as much money.

If you like that off road look, but you don’t have time...and you want a quick “nothing too expensive”...but still legit as hell truck, you get the Raptor and you’re done.

If you have time and a bit more money to throw on a toy, you get a 5.0 and build your own Raptor style truck.

The sound, just the sound. 5.0 vs not 5.0. If you look at real Trophy Trucks (Baja professional trucks)...how do they sound? Like fucking beasts. Those trucks can also reach 1mil or so to build. Race, break, build again...not as crazy $ as formula 1 or even nascar, but it’s still very very costly.

The aftermarket parts are much better than Ford factory parts. Who owns these legit aftermarket shops? The guys who race Baja or supply parts for those 1 million dollar trucks. Other than the Fox shocks on the Raptor, practically everything else is Ford factory on a Raptor. If you pick and choose your parts to “try” and emulate a trophy truck (but with comforts), you build your own starting with a 5.0...because of the sound that it can create (and you want to emulate a trophy truck), you start there.

Now, starting with a 6.2 Gen 1 Raptor, and then modding...well you’re a hardcore MFer and you know what you’re doing.

Folks also mod Gen 2 Raptors of course, but again, it’s that sound vs no sound and a few other things here and there.

I’m starting to be really torn on suspension upgrade v spacer.
im basically going for Raptor type look. 
If you don't want to spend Fox money, why not look at Bilstein 5100's. Fronts can be adjusted for varying degrees of lift, they're suitable for mild/casual offroading, and are relatively inexpensive.
Then you can avoid spacers, which likely will leave you with a shitty riding truck. Don't know if you can achieve a Raptor look going that route though.

researching the following :

Fox 0-2" Front Coil-Over | Fox 2.5 Factory Series Reservoir

Fox 2.5" 04-08 4wd and 09-On 2wd/4wd Ford F-150 Rear, 2.5 Series, P/B, 11.0 in , 0-1.5 in Lift

BDS Upper Control w/ Sealed Ball Joint 2004+ Ford F-150 2wd/4wd

Amp Research Power Steps plug-n-play 2015-17 Ford F150

S&B - Cold Air Intake For 2018 Ford F150 5.0L

Magnaflow - 15-16 F150 V8 5.0L Extended/Crew Cab SS Street, Series Exhaust System Single Side Exit

• Like 1

On 1/21/2020 at 5:58 AM, TwiceHorn said:

Dumb question, but doesn't all that nuke your warranty?

I had a neighbor that bought a new Dodge truck.  The first thing he did was install (himself) a lift kit. 

Then, he started having issues with the truck.  So, he'd take a day off work, remove the lift kit, then take the truck into the dealership for warranty work, then, once the work was completed, he'd take another day off and reinstall the lift kit (and then take the truck in for alignment).  I saw this process repeated a half-dozen times.  

The magnetic shock (GM's magnetic ride control a/k/a magneride) on one rear wheel on my Denali went out. Makes for a rough ride because it throws the whole system out of whack.

Apparently they have to be replaced in pairs, for about $1800. Or replace them all with regular shocks and buy a kit to stop the vehicle from throwing a code. Ouch.

3 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

dumb answer amnesty: If a different exhaust system will make your truck "better", wouldn't it come from the factory with that exhaust?  

Everytime I hear about a simple mod that promises better performance and mileage, I'm skeptical. 

Money. Nobody builds the best machine they are capable of, would cost too much. That’s what aftermarket is for. Improve where you want with what you can afford. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

2 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

So, how much more would it cost a manufacturer to install the "improved" exhaust?  I'm guessing a few bucks if any.

Because most people don’t want loud, throaty exhausts. Truck enthusiasts do, and will put up with the side effects like cab drone and additional costs. 

It wouldn’t cost much to make it louder.  To make it more quality, like all stainless, mandrel bent, etc. it is quite a bit more expensive than what is currently stock on most. 

4 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

The magnetic shock (GM's magnetic ride control a/k/a magneride) on one rear wheel on my Denali went out. Makes for a rough ride because it throws the whole system out of whack.

Apparently they have to be replaced in pairs, for about $1800. Or replace them all with regular shocks and buy a kit to stop the vehicle from throwing a code. Ouch.

Almost everyone I know rides on high end regular shocks with the little cheaters plugged in to turn off the light.  No one has complained really.  The cheaters are extremely cheap iirc. 

I would think magneride is major overkill on a truck, although it is supposedly fantastic on cars.  I suspect it's also failure-prone on a truck.

And, aside from the sound, the best exhaust is going to be bent-tube headers and dual exhaust with twin catalytics (if in warranty or expected to pass an emissions inspection) and dual mufflers.  As opposed to the stock cast manifolds, single exhaust with one catalytic and one muffler, with two outlets.  The cost difference there is at least $1000.

And once you start fucking with the exhaust, you really need to match up the intake, which could be accomplished with just a tune, but optimally requires porting the cylinder heads.

So, nah, no OEM is doing that, unless it's a Corvette or something similarly hi-po and high-cost.

Edited by TwiceHorn

I would think magneride is major overkill on a truck, although it is supposedly fantastic on cars.  I suspect it's also failure-prone on a truck.

Au contraire, a truck suspension works harder when it is off-road.

Car dampers only have to really worry about smaller changes in road smoothness.

Gimme something like this that can have three dampening curves based on wheel travel speed and distance.

fe77b1960554316040c44f9b33c41ee7.jpg
  • Like 1

On 1/15/2020 at 8:54 AM, tx 3 putt said:

I’m starting to be really torn on suspension upgrade v spacer.

im basically going for Raptor type look. 

I’m not sure what there is to be torn about, are you looking for the cheapest option possible (spacers) or a true lift/leveling kit (suspension). I did spacers once and have gone with Fox 2.0’s since. The spacers made the front end feel way too loose to me, but I know people who put them on every truck they buy.

i like the ride of the 2.0’s and have never had any complaints in day to day driving. The 2.5’s seem like complete overkill unless you are off road a bunch. My only complaint on the 2.0’s is I do think they reduce towing/loaded ride quality. It may be more of a tire issue, but you definitely feel road issues more than with the stock setup. I may try a different rear shock at some point just too see the difference. I looked at Icon’s as well and could not justify the extra cost on them.