Truck Nuts

BurntOrange&White

There are so many of those small little shitboxes that dont really do anything special. They cant carry a bunch of people, cant haul shit, cant carry large items. What do they do? Why do we need more of them? I am a huge fan of FoMoCo and the Bronco, but this doesn't move the meter.

1 hour ago, HOOKEM4 said:

There are so many of those small little shitboxes that dont really do anything special. They cant carry a bunch of people, cant haul shit, cant carry large items. What do they do? Why do we need more of them? I am a huge fan of FoMoCo and the Bronco, but this doesn't move the meter.

They are vehicles for those who think they are too cool for a sedan.  Kind of like all the mid sized SUVs that are basically minivans.  My wife bought a highlander after we had twins.  Then we had a third and she wanted a minivan.  I told her a highlander is a minivan without sliding doors.  There is nothing sport about it.

On 2/24/2020 at 7:39 PM, tx 3 putt said:

I really like this back seat under storage. big enough for my hard hat, boots, and since it had so much space, gave me a reason to buy some tools. I'm going to better secure it with zip ties (ill have to drill some holes) but it's big enough to hold a full size jack ( i think)

spacer.png

spacer.png

added a klein screw driver and box cutter to this tool roll 

410BxTIxcBL._AC_.jpg

bought a couple of these to hold d rings, S hooks, straps and smaller tie downs

bought this for the pick up bed, $10 on amazon. works great for as little as it'll be used. held in place with D rings.

spacer.png

on to the good stuff. im about ready to pull the trigger on AMP Research PowerStep Xtreme Running Boards. $300 more then the normal Amp PowerSteps, but I'm all about the Extreme lifestyle. $1800 / $300 install

overall, im loving this truck. 

I got the under seat storage thing from my F-150 though Amazon Outlet.    It was obvious it was an open box item because the box which it was shipped in was barely holding up when I got.  BUT I probably paid half or more less than a brand new one.  It's a cool thing to have to stash stuff out of sight .

• Like 1

On 3/9/2020 at 6:26 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

Has a very big FJ influence. And that’s a good thing 

Toyota made a big mistake getting rid of the FJ.   As did GM when they got rid of the Hummer.     But GM always finds a way to fuck up vs Toyota who occasionally  fucks up.

I do kind of like the looks of the new Silverado however.  

• Like 1

6 months in on a 2020 Tacoma Offroad 4x4 and my opinion is avoid it unless you're willing to drop $6K on an aftermarket turbocharger.

The engine is such a fucking dog.  It is close to impossible to drive in traffic.  This morning on Mopac was a perfect example. Tried to get over to the left lane. I'm going 40ish in heavy traffic but there's a huge opening.  Step on the gas. No reaction for 1 full second.  Engine revs high for another full second.  Then the wheels start turning.  It's so ridiculous. City driving sucks. Highway driving sucks. Went offroad once. 4WD is fine but I didn't break 15 MPH.  I've previously had an '01 and '05 Tacoma. Those are fucking Raptors to this fucking Yugo.

Talked my wife into letting me trade it in. The only rule is no truck so I'm going back to Mercedes. Probably an AMG C43 sedan.

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

6 months in on a 2020 Tacoma Offroad 4x4 and my opinion is avoid it unless you're willing to drop $6K on an aftermarket turbocharger.

The engine is such a fucking dog.  It is close to impossible to drive in traffic.  This morning on Mopac was a perfect example. Tried to get over to the left lane. I'm going 40ish in heavy traffic but there's a huge opening.  Step on the gas. No reaction for 1 full second.  Engine revs high for another full second.  Then the wheels start turning.  It's so ridiculous. City driving sucks. Highway driving sucks. Went offroad once. 4WD is fine but I didn't break 15 MPH.  I've previously had an '01 and '05 Tacoma. Those are fucking Raptors to this fucking Yugo.

Talked my wife into letting me trade it in. The only rule is no truck so I'm going back to Mercedes. Probably an AMG C43 sedan.

Good to know, as I was considering a new Tacoma but had yet to test drive one.  Ranger and Colorado are possibilities, but now may try to wait and see how soon they roll the Bronco out.  

3 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Yup, got a buddy who recently got one, and there is no comparison to my 2nd gen 4.0. 

1GR and 2UZ 4lyfe.

It’s weird that the current Taco engine is also in the GR family, but I think the Atkinson cycle and slight low RPM torque drop make it a lot worse. Some of it is the transmission tuning too on the 6 speed.

The A750 is tried and true but the new one is geared a little weirder.

3 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Wouldn't you have lag even with a turbo? 

Don't know anything about what this particular aftermarket turbo would be like, but the twin turbos in my F150 are both small and side-by-side, so they spin up very very quickly.  I don't notice much turbo lag at all.

Now, the '89 Nissan 300ZX Turbo and the '86 Chrysler Laser XT Turbo that I drove in high school-- those had some serious lag. :)

13 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Don't know anything about what this particular aftermarket turbo would be like, but the twin turbos in my F150 are both small and side-by-side, so they spin up very very quickly.  I don't notice much turbo lag at all.

Now, the '89 Nissan 300ZX Turbo and the '86 Chrysler Laser XT Turbo that I drove in high school-- those had some serious lag. :)

This fit?

BCE75FE3-EC88-49CE-8DEF-932C30B684D3.png

In other Bronco-related news - it was supposed to be rolled out in 3 weeks at the NY Auto Show, which was just postponed until August due to Corona. I wonder when/where Ford is going to drop this thing now. Detroit Auto Show is still scheduled for June.

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

I had a laser.   '85 IIRC

Im currently in a ‘15 F150 platinum 4WD with 3.5 Ecoboost. Been looking around the internet for a new truck. Was kinda wanting to go Tundra.
So went and drove a 2020 4WD Tundra 1794.
I gotta say I was a little underwhelmed. Felt like the engine would pull down and really slow the truck down if you let off the gas at 45 on frontage rd to 85 on the highway. Like a jake break on a big rig. Was really odd.
Was really loud due to wind/road noise. The engine had lots of power and acceleration except when letting off the gas pedal. Hmmmm
Im gonna go to a different dealership and test drive some other Tundras, maybe was a lemon.
But I do like the look of the new GMC 1500 AT4 Crew cab. Anyone got any experience with one?

6 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I had a laser.   '85 IIRC

I loved that car.  Its 80%-plastic-radiator was made entirely of JB Weld by the time I was done with it, and I replaced the alternator on it 4 times within about 3 years, but I loved it.