Truck Nuts

BurntOrange&White

21 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

My manual tranny went out about 5 days after I bought it.  It doubled the price of the car for me.  But yeah, I liked it.  The talking thing was a real novelty then. 

"your washer fluid is low".

Yeah, and the on-board computer that would calculate your gas mileage, miles to empty, time to destination, etc.  That, plus the 6-speaker stereo system with a joystick for setting balance and fade, make it pretty freakin' rad.

Edited by utee94

I traded my wrangler in last fall for a 2019 Ram Rebel due to the fact car seats were having a rough time fitting in the back seat. I really like the 5th gen interiors w/ the 12" screen. Added a pedal commander to get rid of the delay in throttle response. So far it has been a great truck, waiting for the snow to melt in the mountains to take it on some trails.

That looks a lot like me waiting for the 2017 f250 inventory to bloat due to financial issues, driving down prices. 
I don’t think I could make a new 250 work even with 0 for 84. Maybe I can ask about a new 19 and see. 

edit: but with production shutting down, new ones will likely not drop as supply becomes an issue

Edited by Pato del Muerto

6 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Too many bro’s that’ll do that $950/84 around here for the prices to drop.  It’s akin to seeing a unicorn when I see an XLT pull up.  I didn’t even know they made y’all anymore. “Limited” my ass, every third truck I see. 

whole new economy. prices will drop and 0% will have to happen soon 

36 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

whole new economy. prices will drop and 0% will have to happen soon 

I guess.  It seems every time it's ripe for me to pick up a cheap 5th wheel or add an SCB to the fleet, some other portion of the economy fires up and instead of welders/engineers/PMs with the cool shit, its X/Y/Z enjoying their new boon.    I remember about 10 years ago all the boat guys saying the crazy prices were due to the glass/resin being a petroleum product, those 120$ barrels just made everything go up 50%, nothing we can do about it yada yada.  Well, it hasn't been that price for awhile, and you aren't shoving off the dock with much for under 60k these days.

Too many bro’s that’ll do that $950/84 around here for the prices to drop.  It’s akin to seeing a unicorn when I see an XLT pull up.  I didn’t even know they made y’all anymore. “Limited” my ass, every third truck I see. 

Lots of those bros just got laid off.

6 hours ago, Sandman said:

It finally stopped raining so I was able to install my new bed cover. I went with the Bakflip MX4, I really like it. The installation was a breeze.

I love mine and it looks good, also added this net back and it's worked great of me. held in place by some d clips 

61xMEq8WYKL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Edited by tx 3 putt

2 hours ago, texhorn said:

Nissan? Yeah, no thanks.

Nissan cars with the CVT are crap, but the Frontier is legit -- at least it is for now until the redesign next year.  It's made here in the USA and doesn't have the CVT.  It's basically the same truck since 2005, so any bugs got worked out a long time ago.  The 4.0 V6 is a good engine.    

It's got the turning radius of a school bus, gets mediocre gas mileage,  and the interior is dated to say the least, but the Frontier is reliable and costs thousands of $ less than the competitors.  I had a Suzuki Equator for several years (basically a rebadged Frontier), and it never gave me any problems at all.  I'd probably still be driving it had I not hydroplaned on the 101 and totaled it.      

7 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

Nissan cars with the CVT are crap, but the Frontier is legit -- at least it is for now until the redesign next year.  It's made here in the USA and doesn't have the CVT.  It's basically the same truck since 2005, so any bugs got worked out a long time ago.  The 4.0 V6 is a good engine.    

Get a 2019 with the 4.0 while they last. For 2020 they are dropping a new 3.8 V6 with the 9-speed from the Titan into it for a year to work out the kinks before the complete Frontier redesign for 2021. So the 2020 Frontier is a powertrain test mule, might be a shitshow.

This is pretty cool - they bought a ~30K Frontier and turned it into a legit overlander for under 40K:

https://www.fourwheeler.com/news/features/1912-nissans-destination-frontier-budget-overlander-overland-budget/

07-nissan-destination-frontier-canyon-su

nissan-destination-frontier-lead-flex-su

Edited by smuggs
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, smuggs said:

Get a 2019 with the 4.0 while they last. For 2020 they are dropping a new 3.8 V6 with the 9-speed from the Titan into it for a year to work out the kinks before the complete Frontier redesign for 2021. So the 2020 Frontier is a powertrain test mule, might be a shitshow.

This is pretty cool - they bought a ~30K Frontier and turned it into a legit overlander for under 40K:

https://www.fourwheeler.com/news/features/1912-nissans-destination-frontier-budget-overlander-overland-budget/

07-nissan-destination-frontier-canyon-su

nissan-destination-frontier-lead-flex-su

Yep, I had seen that.  And I agree.  If you're going to buy a Frontier, snag the 4.0 V6

I reached out to the local ford place. Been waiting for 2017 f250 lariat level trim to hit around 30k or so to buy one, but it’s still not happening here and the financing for f150 is too good not to look at.  Need to figure out what the half ton can actually tow with a max towing pkg to see if it’s better than what I already have though. 
ecoboost and 10 speed and maybe different gearing vs my 302 and 6 speed. 

6 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I reached out to the local ford place. Been waiting for 2017 f250 lariat level trim to hit around 30k or so to buy one, but it’s still not happening here and the financing for f150 is too good not to look at.  Need to figure out what the half ton can actually tow with a max towing pkg to see if it’s better than what I already have though. 

I browse quite a bit and you aren’t saving shit on anything with 30k miles. Like 3-4k off a 60k truck type deal. Used trucks, diesels in particular, have been absurd for the last few years.   Hell, there’s quite a few 2 yo KR’s with 90-105k miles for around 12k off new in my last looksy last week.  I’d say these people are insane with those asks, but it’s not uncommon so maybe I’m the one who’s twisted.  

*I almost exclusively look at KR’s. Now that there are “hard” and “soft” Lariats, too much to keep track of.   I have a friend who searched for about a year and snagged a ‘17 in mid-‘19 with 40k miles for 40-ish, but it was not a Lariat. 

16 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

My 2015 F150 3.5L ecoboost with max towing, tows 11,500.  Not sure how much more or less than that you might need. It's Platinum package so has most of the bells and whistles.  I'm pretty sure newer ones with max tow can do the same, or perhaps even more.

I had a 3.5 eco with 6.5' bed max tow 4x4 and it would tow the rating but if you get 10k behind that thing, you will wish you didnt. I would say 8k is about the max I would go if you dont want to white knuckle the entire trip. My new truck is a 250 gasser that is rated basically the same and I towed 10k and it was very manageable. Sure it takes forever to get up to speed, but it sure as shit felt like I was driving the trailer and not the other way around.

Edited by HOOKEM4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

I had a 3.5 eco with 6.5' bed max tow 4x4 and it would tow the rating but if you get 10k behind that thing, you will wish you didnt. I would say 8k is about the max I would go if you dont want to white knuckle the entire trip. My new truck is a 250 gasser that is rated basically the same and I towed 10k and it was very manageable. Sure it takes forever to get up to speed, but it sure as shit felt like I was driving the trailer and not the other way around.

I've had 9.5K behind mine with no issues at all.  

On 4/4/2020 at 11:07 AM, Pato del Muerto said:

0 for 84 and no payment for 6 month now for 2019 f150 I believe 

Saw a local dealership advertising this on Facebook (forget which manufacturer) and there was someone in the comments responding to questions. They told someone that In order to get the 84 0% they had to pay MSRP. If that the case you’re probably better off negotiating 9-10k off list and getting low % financing elsewhere.

1 hour ago, HOOKEM4 said:

I wouldn’t be pulling near the max. Current camper is around 4k, a larger one would probably be in the 7k range. But there’s grade all around me and I think the 3.55 and lower torque band on the turbo motor would help with that, instead of my 5.0 running at 4500 rpm to maintain 40 mph in 2nd. 

12 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’d be cool with xlt but I want leather and heated seats, and that appears to be one of the big differentiators from lariat and above to xl and xlt. 
but I think only the xlts are in my price range, especially when the towing pkg is priced in. 

For me, the big difference is the Lariat is the lowest trim that gives you power folding mirrors. I have to have those because I have two separate garage bays and it won't fit in there with the mirrors out. Lariats all have leather, heated/cooling seats, etc. Mine even has the giant moonroof, which I don't often see at that trim. PO really had it tricked out.

I have the '20 F150 and 3.5 Eco without the max tow package.  It hauls my 6000 lb surf boat with no problems.  Can't tell any real difference from the '15 that I had before.  Surprisingly, the '20 gets the same fuel economy as the 15.   Not very good.   13-14 around town and 16ish on the highway.  

3 hours ago, utee94 said:

I've had 9.5K behind mine with no issues at all.  

My experience is with a stabilized bumper pull RV that is 38' long I believe. For sure it would tow it, but the truck just doesn't have the weight to be 100% in control when there are little quirks in the road or higher winds imo.  I think a smaller profile dump trailer loaded to the gills would tow fine at 10k. I should have qualified that.

I love the eco boost motor and am a huge fan of the performance, it is legit. Certainly not hating on that motor. There is just a point where physics wins and I almost hit that one day. It was too close.

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I wouldn’t be pulling near the max. Current camper is around 4k, a larger one would probably be in the 7k range. But there’s grade all around me and I think the 3.55 and lower torque band on the turbo motor would help with that, instead of my 5.0 running at 4500 rpm to maintain 40 mph in 2nd. 

That motor will eat up hills. I did not explain very clearly what the issue was. Size/profile (twss) not power.

3 hours ago, Covri said:

Saw a local dealership advertising this on Facebook (forget which manufacturer) and there was someone in the comments responding to questions. They told someone that In order to get the 84 0% they had to pay MSRP. If that the case you’re probably better off negotiating 9-10k off list and getting low % financing elsewhere.

Sorry for the triple post, but this is what I was telling my wife. She wants a new vehicle, even though her expedition has 65k miles and is paid off. To get the same thing she has now, we will be on the hook for 70k+ at full MSRP. It is a dealership wet dream because all the schmucks will just say "hell it is free financing" and the cost difference is ignored because they all just talk payments. Add to that, they don't have to make a payment for several months. There is zero charity in the offers out there today. They are just re-packaging the same old BS sales pitches into "we care." 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

My experience is with a stabilized bumper pull RV that is 38' long I believe. For sure it would tow it, but the truck just doesn't have the weight to be 100% in control when there are little quirks in the road or higher winds imo.  I think a smaller profile dump trailer loaded to the gills would tow fine at 10k. I should have qualified that.

I love the eco boost motor and am a huge fan of the performance, it is legit. Certainly not hating on that motor. There is just a point where physics wins and I almost hit that one day. It was too close.

Mine is a 32' RV trailer.  Dry it's 6.5K.  Fully wet and loaded it can be up to 9.5K and that's about where I had it last time I towed.  Obviously hitched with full WD and anti-sway, but zero issues towing that rig through the twists/turns/hills on the Leakey-side drive from Austin to Garner State Park. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Sorry for the triple post, but this is what I was telling my wife. She wants a new vehicle, even though her expedition has 65k miles and is paid off. To get the same thing she has now, we will be on the hook for 70k+ at full MSRP. It is a dealership wet dream because all the schmucks will just say "hell it is free financing" and the cost difference is ignored because they all just talk payments. Add to that, they don't have to make a payment for several months. There is zero charity in the offers out there today. They are just re-packaging the same old BS sales pitches into "we care." 

Exactly. And then the automakers will bitch and moan about needing a bailout. And allegedly Ford is considering asking the Feds

for another cash for clunkers program. Such bullshit. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Covri said:

And so it’s true that it’s either the financing or the ford rebates. I needed both for the numbers to work for me, so no new truck.  We will see what happens with offers over the next month or two. 

7 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

but it sure as shit felt like I was driving the trailer and not the other way around.

You can tell who’s had the tail wag the dog before, and it doesn’t have a single thing to do with the motor pulling it.  Best motor evar!!1!1 Ecoboost or otherwise.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, utee94 said:

Mine is a 32' RV trailer.  Dry it's 6.5K.  Fully wet and loaded it can be up to 9.5K and that's about where I had it last time I towed.  Obviously hitched with full WD and anti-sway, but zero issues towing that rig through the twists/turns/hills on the Leakey-side drive from Austin to Garner State Park. 

I just checked and I am about there. Looks like it was prob around 10.5k with another 500ish lbs in the bed. Driving on some fairly straight roads but hit high winds. It about ate me up. After that I just didnt have the nut to do it again. I want to be at 60% or less what the vehicle can actually tow or I am just not going to risk it. My kids dont need to suffer because I over estimated anything.

Up till that experience, I thought it was no biggie. Just be careful.

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

You can tell who’s had the tail wag the dog before, and it doesn’t have a single thing to do with the motor pulling it.  Best motor evar!!1!1 Ecoboost or otherwise.  

I've had the tail wag the dog before.  I pulled the same trailer, but only lightly loaded, so maybe 7K, with my Tahoe.  That's white knuckle driving.  And it's why I bought the pickup.

Pulling a heavily loaded TT with the F150 ecoboost max towing?  Not anywhere close to scary.  Actually, it is quite fun to drive.

Edited by utee94

On 4/6/2020 at 10:54 AM, HOOKEM4 said:

I towed a 36' travel trailer(about 8500lbs) on 281 from Cleburne to Austin with my 2018 F150, 3.5 ecoboost, max tow, fx4. Had all the power in the world, but if I got over 55 -60 it would start to push me around, bad. The truck has a tow stability control that kicked in a few times when it felt the trailer sway. 

I had someone tell me that if I adjust my distro hitch it might help, IDK

Got about 8 mpg while towing it.

2 hours ago, TXLNGHRN10 said:

I towed a 36' travel trailer(about 8500lbs) on 281 from Cleburne to Austin with my 2018 F150, 3.5 ecoboost, max tow, fx4. Had all the power in the world, but if I got over 55 -60 it would start to push me around, bad. The truck has a tow stability control that kicked in a few times when it felt the trailer sway. 

I had someone tell me that if I adjust my distro hitch it might help, IDK

Got about 8 mpg while towing it.

Yeah, I don't have that kind of issue.  As I've already stated multiple times.  YMMV but you should definitely check your WD and sway control, because it sounds like it's not set up correctly.

Speaking of mileage, it is certainly terrible whilst towing, no doubt about it.  IT's not great even while NOT towing.  Theoretically it could be, and when I work hard to keep everything smooth I can average around 17 mostly city.  But when I'm just enjoying the turbo boost, 14 is where I end up.

2 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

If it were me I wouldn't tow a travel trailer longer than 26ft with a half ton. 

Low utility trailers, sure, load em up. But travel trailers are just big sails and a few gusts of wind at the wrong time can really ruin your day.

Again, as I've stated multiple times, F150 tows my 32' travel trailer with no problems.  Big gusts, not an issue.  

It's certainly true that a lot of people don't know how to set up their WD and sway control, though.  Having that properly set up makes a huge difference. Lots of people get it wrong.

Edited by utee94

6 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

But travel trailers are just big sails and a few gusts of wind at the wrong time can really ruin your day.

I watched a guy in a single wheel 3/4 or 1 just about lose one down near Wharton once.  Pulling thru area with trees on both sides, then hit field with about a 25 mph norther blowing.  Blew his ass clear from right lane into the left, then shoulder, then he made it back into the right lane.  ~35' 5th wheel directly broadside.   I'm assuming he shit his pants, I about did.