Truck Nuts

BurntOrange&White

So what is the deal on diesel and oil? Do I check it religiously do I add it should it go down normally what is bad what is good what oil should we use? Some of y’all know but we’re new owners of an old but well maintained 2000 F-350 7.3L 4x4... and yes I would marry it if I could I just love it so much. Who knew?

On 5/20/2020 at 9:49 PM, troph said:

So what is the deal on diesel and oil? Do I check it religiously do I add it should it go down normally what is bad what is good what oil should we use? Some of y’all know but we’re new owners of an old but well maintained 2000 F-350 7.3L 4x4... and yes I would marry it if I could I just love it so much. Who knew?

15-40 Rotella.  iirc the 7.3 takes just under 4 gallons.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

how big a tire can i slap on my stock wheels ?

Increase size until they scrape your fender wells, and then back off one size. :)

I'm still thinking about putting larger and more aggressive tires on my F150, but I love the way it rides right now, and don't really want to lose any of that.  

5 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

how big a tire can i slap on my stock wheels ?

275’s are about it I would think. I have a leveling kit and the 275’s with a more aggressive tread pattern still get pretty close to rubbing

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

Hmm I’m close to pulling the trigger on phase 2 - fox 2.5’s and amp steps. I’ll roll with my stock tires and wheels for awhile. Just thinking down the road 

my Goodyear wrangler duratec Kevlar tires have been excellent 

I run Fox 2.0‘s on mine. Tire guy thought I could possibly get 285’s under it, but after going with 275’s we both agreed the 285’s would rub in hard turns. The 275’s barely clear the inner fender wells and rub slightly off road while turning.

Before you buy the 2.5’s, get familiar with Fox’s maintenance requirements and find a shop that can do the rebuilds for you. I posted previously about mine. Fox was going to need my shocks for 2 weeks (2.5’s have a shorter maintenance interval I believe) to rebuild them which meant the truck was going to be sitting on blocks for that period waiting. The Ford dealers couldn’t help either and just said they order new shocks when the Raptors hit their intervals. There is no one local to me licensed to rebuild them apparently. I’ve run past the maintenance interval by 10k miles and the fronts are getting soft. I’m either going to trade for a ‘21 or buy a new set and keep the old set to rebuild and rotate. My tire guy has my original fronts he could put back on it while the Fox’s get rebuilt, but they will not clear the tires I have without adding a block leveling kit to it. It’s turned into a pain in the ass and I’ll probably go with another option on the next truck.

Edited by Brew
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Brew said:

Before you buy the 2.5’s, get familiar with Fox’s maintenance requirements and find a shop that can do the rebuilds for you. 

correct, per your earlier posts about this issue that's the first question that has to be answered as the time gets closer

7 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

correct, per your earlier posts about this issue that's the first question that has to be answered as the time gets closer

Could not remember who asked before. I’ve looked at others and all of the performance shocks are going to have the same issue. I looked hard at Icon’s for the next truck and they have a shorter rebuild time frame. At $3k it doesn’t make much sense to have a backup set.

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

It appears that she will be mine tomorrow. 

2 things:  I will now have 2 ruby red ford trucks in the driveway, and does anyone have experience driving a super crew with an 8 foot bed?  My 5.5 f150 turns for shit and this one is 3 feet longer. 

I can't imagine a Screw with an 8 foot bed.  You're fooked. Have fun!

It appears that she will be mine tomorrow. 

2 things:  I will now have 2 ruby red ford trucks in the driveway, and does anyone have experience driving a super crew with an 8 foot bed?  My 5.5 f150 turns for shit and this one is 3 feet longer. 
Good thing you live in MT where there is plenty of space!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I bought my F150 Screw 5.5 almost two years ago, and have been using it to tow the new RV.  But I'd still been using my Tahoe to tow the boat for a couple of reasons, not the least of which is, the rows of sheds at my storage facilities are pretty tight, and I was a little afraid of backing the boat into the shed with the pickup's longer wheel base.

But 3 weeks ago we bought my wife a new Jeep, and so we traded in her Toyota convertible and my Tahoe as part of the deal.  So two weeks ago was the first time I'd used the new pickup to tow the boat.  Getting out of the shed and into and out of the water was no big deal, went really well.  But I was still terrified of backing the trailer into the boat shed.  

It went slow-- probably painfully slow-- but eventually I was able to do it, and with no damage to the boat or shed! :)

It went a lot better the second time, last weekend, I'm just having to learn all-new turning points and references.  But I can't imaging trying to do that with a 8-foot bed! :)

On 5/29/2020 at 6:52 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

does anyone have experience driving a super crew with an 8 foot bed?

It's not bad, my next one will be an 8'.  I've always had 6.5's, never had a 5.5      But I also drove one of those IH4900's with a 26' flatbed all over Houston for a few years, so ymmv.  But seriously, no big deal with the 8'.

Yeah I drove my friend's GMC 2500 with an 8' bed over the weekend.  Backed his 24' pontoon boat down the ramp at Cypress Creek.  It was... interesting...

Not as bad as I expected though, honestly.

Nice truck Pato.  Other than being aggy of course... :)

On 5/30/2020 at 10:56 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Truck built in 2016, has 83k on it. Hope the death wobble isn’t a thing or has been corrected. Probably warrants a call to ford. 

It is a thing. Go ahead and get your steering stabilizers installed.  

On 5/20/2020 at 9:49 PM, troph said:

Had a 99 7.3 F350.   Every 5k miles.  Sold truck with 375k miles on it.  Ran like a champ.  

Ragrets.  

Since I seem to be on the path of buying an RV, why not buy a truck at the same time.  I currently have a 2007 Tundra Crewmax 4x4 with 265K.   With the trailer I'm looking at, I'll be right at the max GVWR of the Tundra with 2 persons and an fairly empty truck.  Thinking about an upgrade so I don't have to worry about any of that.  I'm a pretty basic, white paint,  low interior spec, 4x4 truck kind of person and tend to buy and hold for 10+ years.  I'm not a fan of all the cabin electronics on today's vehicles, even though I design automation and controls for a living, as they always seem to have little issues after 6 or 7 years old.

Prior to the Tundra, I put 200K + on a '98 Quad Cab Ram diesel and am thinking to get back into one.    Here is what I'm looking at ...  What kind of an offer should I make?

Ram1.jpg

• Like 1