Truck Nuts

BurntOrange&White

On 6/7/2020 at 1:14 AM, texas08 said:

What are all those computer mice doing up there??

jk, sweet truck!

19 hours ago, davidg said:

Lights came with the snowplow package which is gonna come in handy down here in Houston.

If you're burning diesel and don't have the love lights up top then you're not doing it right.   

Nice rig.  Make sure to actually pull heavy loads with it as it wants the exercise. Work it hard. 

• Like 3

On 6/8/2020 at 4:25 PM, jofus said:

Looking for a heavy duty & secure tonneau cover. Any recs?

Not a fan of diamondback not opening all the way, but I like the load capacity.

These look promising, but the janky website gives me pause: https://www.renegadecovers.com

Bakflip tri fold has been good to me on two trucks. Recommend the aluminum one as the regular one will take hail damage. 

Edited by Covri

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Did a 500 mile round trip this weekend with the diesel and got around 15-16 mpg as calculated by the computer. Most of the drive was at 80 on cruise control. That sound normal?

That's just ok. Not great.

I just got back from Houston to Hendersonville, NC trip on Friday and returned today. 950 miles each way. Computer average MPG was 17.3 at 80 MPH speed control setting when possible on 2019 F350 with new Michelin 20" take offs I got last week for $1400 (2020 F350 rims included).

I will go on the record that all of Louisiana and it's residents suck cock while fingering  their own buttholes.  I hate that dump of a state, it's shitty roads and mouth-breathing booger eaters that clog the left lane doing 45 MPH with their fingers probing their ears for ear cheese.

Fuck Louisiana and LSU.

There....I said it.  

Fight me, you nutria fondling fucks. 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, troph said:

We seem to be getting 15mpg in CO without the trailer. We were closer to 18 mpg in Austin. Looks like 12 or so with 12k lbs behind it. And that’s an old ass truck.

Yeah that's the pre-emissions mileage that helped drive all the diesel demand since.  That's good to very good towing that barn behind yall. 

10 hours ago, troph said:

We seem to be getting 15mpg in CO without the trailer. We were closer to 18 mpg in Austin. Looks like 12 or so with 12k lbs behind it. And that’s an old ass truck.

That's not bad at all.  Put 800 miles on the new truck in one week and avg 19 with half of it on highway.  Gonna hook up the boat this weekend so interested what it does there.

13 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

What topper is that on your Tundra, and did you like it? I'm in the market for one for my 2017. 

It's a Snugtop XtraVision.  I liked it very much and  had the same  model on a '98 Ram Quadcab and the '07 Tundra Crewmax.  I put top mount gutter brackets for a Yakima tower system to carry kayaks and bikes.  Both of them held up very well. 

Went to order one Friday for the new Ram and was quoted $3750 before tax.  Looked at a couple of other models on the showroom floor and ended up ordering a Leer 100XR for $2400 out the door.  I really like the Snugtops but they are now higher than giraffe pussy and after the truck, travel trailer, and topper, I'm pretty much broke.

DSC-0374.jpg

IMG-7831.jpg

Leer 100XR

F235-E117-FE2-E-4-FAD-B8-A6-B24-B484-B31

• Like 1

Looking at a set of cooper discoverer at3 xlts. Anyone have these?
Have heard good things about the Coopers. I have Wildpeak AT3Ws (E load range LT tires) on my Landcruiser and i love them. They are great in snow. Haven't had them offroad yet, but i will this weekend. 55k warranty, too.

We tried them on our field trucks and didnt like the wear. Honestly, I am not sure there is anyone that makes a good tire anymore for a 250+. We are running toyos and michelins on trucks that have less offroad demand.  Michelins are the gold standard but if you dont mind the road noise, toyo seems good in the sloppy shit. We run 10 f250s and some other smaller trucks. Just look for mileage rated tires and avoid non rated imo.

Edited by HOOKEM4

17 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Have heard good things about the Coopers. I have Wildpeak AT3Ws (E load range LT tires) on my Landcruiser and i love them. They are great in snow. Haven't had them offroad yet, but i will this weekend. 55k warranty, too.

These coopers are 55k too

• Like 1

I pulled punches but avoid bfg's imo. They ruined the compound and dont work for shit on our fleet. Cost/longevity is a joke compared to the historical compound.

There are two compounds.

They came out with a DT (“different tread”) for heavier vehicles. This compound doesn’t have the 3 Peak Mountain certification for severe snow service, though.

My last set (regular compound) had nearly 60k and lots of life left, but my vehicle is lightweight. I happily installed a new set of 33s a few months ago.

20 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

There are two compounds.

They came out with a DT (“different tread”) for heavier vehicles. This compound doesn’t have the 3 Peak Mountain certification for severe snow service, though.

My last set (regular compound) had nearly 60k and lots of life left, but my vehicle is lightweight. I happily installed a new set of 33s a few months ago.

We ran on every vehicle for years. Once they went to the atko2 we have several sets barely make it to 40k. Cupped like a mf'er. I am not a fan after that cost sink. We easily ran the old ones 60k+  hell they would dry rot bf they ran out of tread. This is coming from the no1 bfg fanboy for the last 20+ years prior to the changes.

Well, I’m just saying that they have a new compound for heavier vehicles now. So, that’s different than what you had with your KO2.

The KO2 are a lot better at actually going off-road than the KO were, but they lost some treadwear capability of course. This new change is trying to get that back.

Gotcha. I am very leery at trying them out after the last sets but I will refrain from shitting on them till we have the balls to buy more. They likely lost us for good since we have had great results with the open country toyos. They are true 65k tires for us so far and from reports perform excellent in the slop per our field guys.

7 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

I have a friend who tows 12k-15k on a gooseneck behind a 2010-ish 5.9 Cummins 3/4 ton. He gets like 24mpg on the hwy towing that load. Said he’s never seen anything like it and will never sell that truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

giphy.gif

Maybe unloaded/no trailer, tuned with emissions delete driving 60mph, but no way pulling 15k, no way.

I have a friend who tows 12k-15k on a gooseneck behind a 2010-ish 5.9 Cummins 3/4 ton. He gets like 24mpg on the hwy towing that load. Said he’s never seen anything like it and will never sell that truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

His gas tank is probably bigger than he thinks.

My friend only bangs Instagram influencer 10s and said he gets 25mpg with 15k behind his Cummins. He also is into bucking physics. 

Also, your 'friend' is full of fucking shit bud. He doesnt get that mileage with no load. Not a chance.

Edited by HOOKEM4

14 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’m on my 4th set of Coopers, I’ll have to check and see the exact type. I think they are AT3 4S. I’m only getting 40k-45k out of them, but I’ve been fine with it because of the price difference and they have worn evenly. The BFG’s cupped badly and the Toyo’s were substantially more expensive, so I switched over to Coopers after running several sets of both of the others. 

32 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

This last set on my Duramax have been shit.  It will be a while before I go back.  

Reviews like this are why I went with the Wildpeaks instead of KO2s.  Have seen a lot of instances of them losing chunks of tread, too.

Weird. I’ve driven off-pavement with mine in Arizona, Utah, New Mexico, Texas, Nevada, and California (maybe Colorado, too) and they more or less looked new until the end. Never lost any chunks, at least.

I wasn’t exactly rock crawling, but lots of sharp rocks at up to 40-50mph still isn’t tire friendly.

1 hour ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Weird. I’ve driven off-pavement with mine in Arizona, Utah, New Mexico, Texas, Nevada, and California (maybe Colorado, too) and they more or less looked new until the end. Never lost any chunks, at least.

I wasn’t exactly rock crawling, but lots of sharp rocks at up to 40-50mph still isn’t tire friendly.

I saw it on a Landcruiser forum where most folks do some moderate to heavy offroading, but several people have documented cases of KO2 tread coming off in chunks.  That used to be the preferred tire for LCs, but the tide is changing now.  Between Toyo, Falken and Cooper, there are several good alternatives now.

Bakflip tri fold has been good to me on two trucks. Recommend the aluminum one as the regular one will take hail damage. 

Ended up getting a diamondback hd. Turns out I can open all the way, and the whole thing can come off easily if needed.

20170417_081252.thumb.jpg.003e034ce51260397a9aebd84517226a.jpg

My 2013 F150 4x4 is going to need new shocks soon.  I'm thinking of getting a leveling/lift kit.  What are the pros and cons?  Most of my off road driving is on central Texas ranch land (limestone) but my in-laws have land near Paris so that is former Sulfur River bottom land so that gets to be deep mud.  Would also use at the Padre Island.  Never gotten stuck with the factory suspension* but if I have to replace I should consider the upgrade.

Already have 33" LT load range E tires and I have a paid sabbatical next year that I might go back country or beach camping the whole time.  Also interested in the Hidden Falls ORV park though not going to do rock crawling.

I've changed out my wheels since this pic.

*got pretty damn close on a few duck hunting trips

Edited by TexasEd
  • Like 1

What about yoko geo?
also I can’t find any good answers on what’s different between cooper and mastercraft.  Compound must be different for the price difference, yeah?  Or is the cooper name really worth an extra $30 per tire?
Just get the Falkens. They are great tires.

On 6/19/2020 at 6:57 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

What about yoko geo?

also I can’t find any good answers on what’s different between cooper and mastercraft.  Compound must be different for the price difference, yeah?  Or is the cooper name really worth an extra $30 per tire?

I have Yokohama Geolandar G015 LT/AT and love them.  They last long but have a better compound than some of the harder tires and perform better on wet roads.  Also a lot quieter.

5 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

I have Yokohama Geolandar G015 LT/AT and love them.  They last long but have a better compound than some of the harder tires and perform better on wet roads.  Also a lot quieter.

i had the same tire a couple of times on past f150's, great tire. 

20170417_081252.thumb.jpg.003e034ce51260397a9aebd84517226a.jpg
My 2013 F150 4x4 is going to need new shocks soon.  I'm thinking of getting a leveling/lift kit.  What are the pros and cons?  Most of my off road driving is on central Texas ranch land (limestone) but my in-laws have land near Paris so that is former Sulfur River bottom land so that gets to be deep mud.  Would also use at the Padre Island.  Never gotten stuck with the factory suspension* but if I have to replace I should consider the upgrade.
Already have 33" LT load range E tires and I have a paid sabbatical next year that I might go back country or beach camping the whole time.  Also interested in the Hidden Falls ORV park though not going to do rock crawling.
I've changed out my wheels since this pic.
*got pretty damn close on a few duck hunting trips
My 2012 FX4 has Bilsteins all around. Big fan. They lifted truck about an inch. There are 2 to 3 settings on them, so you can go up or down an inch or two. No need for a level. Add bigger tires, probably gain another 1/2 inch.