Truck Nuts

BurntOrange&White

1 hour ago, Fuck Tim Beck said:

Is Horn of Gabriel Brian Kelly? Watch out for those wind gusts. 

LOL, my electrician might be!  Age has given me perspective on which jobs to hire out, and installing heavy lights on swaying poles 20+ ft in the air with live wires is something I'm not interested in at this point!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, T-shirt Sip said:

I’m going to get me an AT4 in October. I’ve heard all the good stuff about them but none of the bad. Tell what you don’t like about it. 

Wish I had a big list to give you but I really like it.  My biggest complaints so far:

• The center console is huge and just a big pit unless you spend another $100 to get an organizer for it (I have one on order)
  • The touch screen is (relatively) small as compared to competitor trucks, if that matters to you.  It's big enough for me #thatswhatshesaid
  • I love the HUD, get it.  But if you're wearing polarized sunglasses it's hard to see.
  • The metal is soft, I got a shopping cart ding @ home depot that was way bigger than it needed to be - but the PDR guy took it out so well I can't find it now.  Maybe that's all new vehicles now
  • Shifter on the column; some people hate that some like it - it doesn't bother me
  • It's a 2020 engine, meaning it's totally computerized and covered in plastic, and crammed in there. You're not doing the maintenance yourself, you're taking it in - but again, true for any modern vehicle.
  • I found the acceleration to be a little underwhelming, then again it's a big heavy truck and I'm coming from a sports car.  OTOH I used to have a Cummins Ram in 2006 and when I mashed the pedal it would ***GO***.  However this truck is a lot more efficient.  I didn't get it to drag race so I'm OK with that tradeoff.

What’s the consensus for diesel mechanics in the Austin area - anywhere will do but west/Southwest Travis county would be easier. This old truck (2000 350 7.3L) will need some TLC...

788e1bdcb06793158dedab6e4041d88d.jpg

brake work, maybe some alignment issues, need a new tuner and a known oil leak at the turbo connection. Some repairs are DIY like the power seat motor. Anyway, need a no nonsense mechanic I can partner with to take care of this one. 280,000 miles and at this point I plan to own this til 450,000 or more and I’ll gladly spend money to keep it going strong. So plenty to make off me but nothing to be made if I’m being led wrong.
7.3s are notorious for leaking at the turbo pedestal....just a couple of orings that deteriorate over time. Not too hard of a job if you have mechanical aptitude. Not near austin, so cant help with the mechanic recommendations.
  • Like 1

Wish I had a big list to give you but I really like it.  My biggest complaints so far:
  • The center console is huge and just a big pit unless you spend another $100 to get an organizer for it (I have one on order)
  • The touch screen is (relatively) small as compared to competitor trucks, if that matters to you.  It's big enough for me #thatswhatshesaid
  • I love the HUD, get it.  But if you're wearing polarized sunglasses it's hard to see.
  • The metal is soft, I got a shopping cart ding @ home depot that was way bigger than it needed to be - but the PDR guy took it out so well I can't find it now.  Maybe that's all new vehicles now
  • Shifter on the column; some people hate that some like it - it doesn't bother me
  • It's a 2020 engine, meaning it's totally computerized and covered in plastic, and crammed in there. You're not doing the maintenance yourself, you're taking it in - but again, true for any modern vehicle.
  • I found the acceleration to be a little underwhelming, then again it's a big heavy truck and I'm coming from a sports car.  OTOH I used to have a Cummins Ram in 2006 and when I mashed the pedal it would ***GO***.  However this truck is a lot more efficient.  I didn't get it to drag race so I'm OK with that tradeoff.

One other thing: it doesn’t have wireless CarPlay. This is totally unacceptable; it has this awesome wireless charging pad for the phone but you have to hardwire in to get CarPlay. Just dumb. Supposedly it will come in the 2021 model maybe....

7.3s are notorious for leaking at the turbo pedestal....just a couple of orings that deteriorate over time. Not too hard of a job if you have mechanical aptitude. Not near austin, so cant help with the mechanic recommendations.

The inspector mentioned it wasn’t a big deal. Nothing but 100% pleased so far. The guys freaking drool over it. Hey is that an old 7.3L? Why yes it is! I got a “nice truck” via text from a little league coach last night. Haha. My boys climb in and say “I love this truck” the way every woman wants to be told their guy (or gal) loves them but rarely hears.

Hopefully some locals will give me some recs. It definitely will need semi regular attention.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

I much appreciate the info. Luckily nothing you mentioned will dissuade me from getting that truck. 

* I plan on buying the console safe to keep my pistol while at work. 

* I currently drive a Tacoma and the touch screen is tiny too so I’m used to it. How do the cameras look on the screen?

* All my sunglasses are polarized. How does it look at night?

* Not a deal breaker. I also assume most vehicles now a days have that same thin metal. 

* Again no issue with the shifter. You don’t touch it but a couple of times per drive. 

* I typically don’t do my own maintenance aside from oil changes and brakes. 

* This does concern me a little bit but I’m not racing anyone. I’ll be pulling my little boat so it should do just fine. 

* It’s crazy that it doesn’t have wireless CarPlay. I’ll probably wait on the 2021 anyways so maybe they’ll have it on that model.

Again, thanks for the response. 

One other thing: it doesn’t have wireless CarPlay. This is totally unacceptable; it has this awesome wireless charging pad for the phone but you have to hardwire in to get CarPlay. Just dumb. Supposedly it will come in the 2021 model maybe....

There is an aftermarket fix for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, T-shirt Sip said:

* I currently drive a Tacoma and the touch screen is tiny too so I’m used to it. How do the cameras look on the screen?

* All my sunglasses are polarized. How does it look at night?

Cameras look amazing, one of my favorite features.  This thing has something like 10 cameras - forward facing on the hood, both side mirrors have forward and rearward facing cameras, one facing down on the bed, one facing the hitch, one looking rearward.  It can use all that to give you a "tops down" eagle eye view of the truck which is useful as you're getting into and out of tight spots.  One annoying thing is that the system locks down when you're driving, so you can't flip around the cameras as you drive, because, safety?

The HUD at night is super bright and visible.  You can also customize what you see on it and it's multi color.  It's not the gimmick HUD of a few years back, it's actually really nice when you're in traffic to see speed and not have to take your eyes off the road.

10 hours ago, T-shirt Sip said:

* This does concern me a little bit but I’m not racing anyone. I’ll be pulling my little boat so it should do just fine.

If this quote was wrt the acceleration, I wouldn’t worry. It’ll be considerably faster/more responsive than any Tacoma I’ve been in. 

21 hours ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

First time trailering with the Sierra today. Went pretty well, could hardly tell it had a load on it. Granted it was only about 5-6000lbs, it’s rated for almost 10K.

b072fb3dc8644badad793174c396a270.jpg

c9a59b8aa833bfdc0bb8bec4ec2d1d12.jpg

dd8d557ec18b896ce68fb8d2a398c581.jpg

68052a4a5d7ee80da2b4c3565c760701.jpg

I can't quite tell from the fender emblem when zooming in but did you get the 3.0 diesel? 

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

If this quote was wrt the acceleration, I wouldn’t worry. It’ll be considerably faster/more responsive than any Tacoma I’ve been in. 

It was in regards to the acceleration and you’re right. My 4cyl Tacoma’s acceleration sucks balls so the V8 will seem like a Corvette. 

Edited by T-shirt Sip

23 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Since there's a truck and a scissor lift posted I thought I'd post this.

Russell gets bored.  Russell builds things.  Russel builds cool things.  The cool things Russell builds aren't cheap.

I've ridden in his first one.  It's pretty danged cool.

https://www.ultimatetopdrives.com/

He definitely nailed the target demo in the video. Let me just pull the old Blaser out. 

Was looking into a new vehicle that could tow a trailer or a boat and started looking at trucks and trucked based SUV’s. I’m really surprised at the consumer reports low reliability ratings for Ford, Chevy trucks. Are they really that bad or is it more that owners are hard on the vehicles?

55 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Was looking into a new vehicle that could tow a trailer or a boat and started looking at trucks and trucked based SUV’s. I’m really surprised at the consumer reports low reliability ratings for Ford, Chevy trucks. Are they really that bad or is it more that owners are hard on the vehicles?

What choices do you have?  You want to pull a 32 foot PJ gooseneck?  A horse trailer that stables 4 horses, their tack and a sleeping cabin? Trailer your backhoe to a job-site?

Your choices are Ford, Chevy / GMC,  Ram and Toyota.

I agree that the new models aren't like the old ones.  The new models have way more creature comforts and usable stuff like exhaust brakes.  But the new models are weighed down with exhaust emission controls and ultra-low diesel fuel.

The biggest problem, IMHO, with the newer trucks (specifically the ones that burn diesel) is the exhaust emissions controls and ultra-low sulfur diesel.

Fight me.

FWIW likely every vehicle you looked at is more reliable than whatever bullshit ratings CR suggested.  Are they disappointed the infotainment is a few years behind, or the like posted above, a known problem with the timing chain (sorry Eco bros)?  I've pretty much come to the conclusion they don't make "bad" trucks anymore.  It's more a question of what is your flavor.  That's only my opinion of course, as a several truck/suv owner.

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Also looked at the Ford Explorer built on a truck platform, but it also has the same poor reliability ratings.  Tundra, 4Runner and Lexus GX are all very old designs.  No good options.

What is their definition of “unreliable?”

What specifically is “unreliable” about a particular truck?  Won’t start?  AC frequently goes out?  Windows don’t go up and down?  Check engine light appears just because?  Tends to explode?  

Not mocking you.  Just curious  to know what you have read?

Definitely good questions. I need to go back and look but in the case of the Fords it was the engine and Chevy it was transmission I believe, which is what gave me pause.

Again, in wondering whether because these trucks are hauling heavy weights, are driving over rough terrain, etc it may be skewing the numbers.

I’ll come back and post specifics.

7 minutes ago, Kilgorehorn said:

If Ford truck reliability is such and issue, why are they still the top selling vehicle and why do people who own them keep buying them.

Well, it could be because most people buying them don't care that much about paying a lot for repairs, and don't mind having their vehicle in the shop a lot.  I do. I've driven Toyotas or Lexuses for the last 25 years and I can count on one hand the number of repairs I've had to do and I hold cars 8 to 10 years.  They are incredible. I had an Avalon for 9 years and had exactly one repair. A muffler. I had a Lexus ten years and zero repairs, only standard maintenance.  But if repairs and time without the vehicle isn't that important, but towing 5,000 pounds and traveling over rough terrain is, then Ford might be the best choice.  I'm just trying to figure out how reliable it really is.

26 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Definitely good questions. I need to go back and look but in the case of the Fords it was the engine and Chevy it was transmission I believe, which is what gave me pause.

Again, in wondering whether because these trucks are hauling heavy weights, are driving over rough terrain, etc it may be skewing the numbers.

I’ll come back and post specifics.

If you’re pulling heavy loads all the time and doing it in a 1/2 ton is going to cause some unreliability issues.  

Edited by deadshank
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

That's what I'm wondering. F-250 better choice?

Absolutely.  Diesel 3/4 or full 1 tons with exhaust brakes, bigger brake shoes, heavier suspensions, more torque, cooler running and less likely to overheat than gassers, heavier vehicle overall.  

Diesels are more expensive to operate and purchase than gassers. 

Occasionally towing the average utility trailer or bass boat is all half tons are good for.  

Edited by deadshank

The Ford issue with timing chain is purely scary sounding. Once the oil pressure builds up the phasers tension the chain and it is fine. From what I have seen it isn't a widespread issue of the chain's breaking, just an uncomfortable sound on startup. My old truck did it for close to 50k miles and I never had any issue other than that with the motor.

I would much rather have that noise than a failed transmission in a chevy. I have only owned 1 chevy my entire life and that is the only vehicle to have a transmission failure. Same failure happened to my brother and a close friend around the same mileage on thier chevys. Glad to hear they still havent figured out how to build a tranny 20 years later.

Edited by HOOKEM4

22 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

That's what I'm wondering. F-250 better choice?

How big of boat/trailer are you wanting to tow?  IMO, the cutoff on towing well with a typical 1/2 ton is in the 5-7k range.  Maybe a little more with some of the HD tow packages that some of the 1/2 tons have but that might be pushing it.

I have towed a 4.5k boat, a 6k travel trailer and a farm utility trailer a lot of miles with my Tundra but upgraded back to a Ram 2500 Diesel when we decided to get an 8k TT.  I’ve towed the boat a couple of times behind the new truck and only know it’s back there when I look in a mirror or the fuel mileage gauge.

• Like 2

Well, it could be because most people buying them don't care that much about paying a lot for repairs, and don't mind having their vehicle in the shop a lot.  I do. I've driven Toyotas or Lexuses for the last 25 years and I can count on one hand the number of repairs I've had to do and I hold cars 8 to 10 years.  They are incredible. I had an Avalon for 9 years and had exactly one repair. A muffler. I had a Lexus ten years and zero repairs, only standard maintenance.  But if repairs and time without the vehicle isn't that important, but towing 5,000 pounds and traveling over rough terrain is, then Ford might be the best choice.  I'm just trying to figure out how reliable it really is.
I had a 98 4Runner from new to 240k miles. Other than oil, tires and brakes, i had to replace the starter around 200k. That was it.

My Landcruiser has 220k. I had to replace the radiator when it spring a leak (was original), but it's in great condition.

They just run. Boring, but they just run.

A 21' boat and a 23 ft travel trailer.
I don't know what the Consumer Reports reliability numbers look like but any modern V8, half-ton gasser should be sufficient to pull a 21ft boat.

Based on your prior ownership experience maybe you should be looking at a Tundra? I have a 2018 that pulls the snot out of a 23ft boat regularly. 75mi one way to the ramp for me in heavy traffic. The 5.7 Tundra eats it up.

Disclaimer: Suspension is a little stiff. It's a little bit thirsty. Interior is dated. Non locking diff

23ft travel trailer may be a different bowl of gumbo. I wouldn't know.

My issue with my Tundra (beside 13 yo and 265k miles) was payload capacity rating. Mine was a CrewMax 4x4 5.7l and had a 1341lb payload.  My fatass, camper shell (also add racks and kayaks) and the couple hundred lbs of tools and shit that was always in the truck left me with about 650lbs payload which I felt was cutting it too close with the new trailer and it’s listed 650lb dry tongue weight.   Won’t have any issues with the Ram.

Also,

Diesel =

Panty-Dropper-NEW.jpg

Edited by davidg

26 minutes ago, bigshark88 said:

I don't know what the Consumer Reports reliability numbers look like but any modern V8, half-ton gasser should be sufficient to pull a 21ft boat.

Based on your prior ownership experience maybe you should be looking at a Tundra? I have a 2018 that pulls the snot out of a 23ft boat regularly. 75mi one way to the ramp for me in heavy traffic. The 5.7 Tundra eats it up.

Disclaimer: Suspension is a little stiff. It's a little bit thirsty. Interior is dated. Non locking diff

23ft travel trailer may be a different bowl of gumbo. I wouldn't know.

My 5L half ton ford pulled my 3000 lb camper just fine on flat ground. And it stopped it fine even though there are no trailer brakes. It only had trouble going up mountain roads. 

i assume the 3.5TT does even better with the lower torque curve. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

A 21' boat and a 23 ft travel trailer.

Whatever you do go 1 step more than your gut tells you, but I would have zero issue buying a 150 or equivalent for that setup personally. I am the dumbass who bought a 250 gasser because I was right in the middle of 150 and 250 diesel for my needs. I am happy with my choices but it is not the best for everyone. I would likely eat the extra 10k if I knew what I knew now regarding work and other positive life changes but when I bought I was worried and got what I needed. It is a slippery slope setting the bar at 70k for a truck when you know the wife is eyeing vehicles.. 

Edited by HOOKEM4
  • Like 1

Just adding that if I was buying new today I would spend some quality time on YouTube specifically the channel "TFL Truck". They actually hook up 4500# behind different setups and test them out. They recently did tests with a Tundra, the new Ford HD "Godzilla" gasser, Jeep Gladiator... I think there were others as well.

3 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

I would much rather have that noise than a failed transmission in a chevy. I have only owned 1 chevy my entire life and that is the only vehicle to have a transmission failure. Same failure happened to my brother and a close friend around the same mileage on thier chevys. Glad to hear they still havent figured out how to build a tranny 20 years later.

Dodge was known for bad trans 10x over Ford or GM.  Between my current rides (GM 1/2 ton, Yukon 1/2 ton, and GM 3/4-ton) I’ve got a bit over 800k miles.  

The 1/2-ton truck needed a new trans at 185k.  It was a 4l60e and it cost me $900 and 3/4 of a day to replace it. That truck was lifted, air bagged, and goosenecked.  It was asked weekly to do things I wouldn’t even think about with a 1/2-ton anymore, but young and dumb and all of that.  Seriously that truck shouldn’t have lasted 100k miles.  I think I did the hubs on it 3-4 times in the first 100k.  Got it new as a senior in high school and it LIVED in the mud for several years.  Now relegated to deer lease duty. 20 years old.  Love that truck.    It’s in baaaad shape right now, it needs some love and will probably high rack it next year. 

My wife’s Denali’s transmission I don’t trust, but it is chugging along. we’ve never done anything but a flush once.  These were known to be clunky, it was the first iteration of their 6-speed after 35 years of 4-speeds.  I’ve the only impressive thing it’s done is last thru my wife’s driving for several hundred thousand miles.  Impressive, but still I don’t trust it. Little clunky. 

My 3/4 is an Allison and I don’t think they are worth the hype, but has been fine.  I’ve only touched it once, at about 5k miles, to change the original spin off external filter.  I’m not an Allison fanboi, but it’s fine exactly what they say it’s supposed to for 12 years now, so hard to complain. 

Dodge has come a LONG way on theirs in the last 10-15 years.  The 47’s and 48’s were mostly pure junk. For years the SuperDuty 4 speeds (4R100 iirc) weren’t dodge level junk, but they definitely weren’t anything to write home about. Clunky af.  

They can’t all be C6 and TH400’s, after all. 

*fwiw, I don’t like or trust any of the new 8-10 speed shit coming out these days. I’m sure I’ll be proved wrong, but I don’t like it. 

• Like 1