Truck Nuts

BurntOrange&White

7 hours ago, TexasEd said:

Eco or Boost is right.  Mine stays in boost over 65 MPH so for best mileage keep it slower than that. 

I’ll just pay for the extra gas. 65-70 is right around the sweet spot for highway mileage from what I’ve seen as well.

Mine is a ‘17 with the 10 speed, but it is leveled with larger, more aggressive tires. The one trip I made in it stock it got closer to 20, but it was also on a 65 MPH highway and I stayed closer to 72-75 I’m sure.

Edited by Brew

1 hour ago, troph said:

Second ask - any recs/leads on a reliable Travis county mechanic who specializes in old diesels ?

Wasn’t there a poster here who owned a truck accessory shop?  I would bet he knows a place or two.  Look for a diesel performance shop, they can probably take care of you as well. Sorry, in Houston so can’t help.  There are half a dozen reputable ones here, I’m certain Austin has some.  Also, jump on Dieselplace or some of the other forums and try a search. Haven’t been on any in years but there were a few good forums several years ago. 

23 hours ago, troph said:

Second ask - any recs/leads on a reliable Travis county mechanic who specializes in old diesels ?

I don't know if they work on individual vehicles, but I've always taken my diesel trucks to Johnson's Fleet.  They're near the airport.  512-389-2121.  Give them a call and see if they'll work on it.  If not, I bet they can point you in the right direction.  

• Like 1

So, I'm about due to replace the tires on my F350.  I was originally thinking of adding a leveling kit, but now reconsidering.  My truck actually fits in my garage, which I love.  I have a headache rack, and I'm right at 7'3" with stock tires (34" Michelin 275/65R20) and no lift.  I have 7'8" of clearance when my garage door is open.   So, I realistically have 4+" to play with.

I'd like the truck to sit a bit higher, and I like the look of larger tires without doing anything crazy.  Not a fan of wide tires, so I want to keep them inside the wheel well.  I'm fine with the stock rims, but would change out if necessary.

I'm thinking of going with 38" all-terrains to start and see how that looks.  Will they fit without a lift?  Should I consider swapping out rims?  My plan would be to see how they look and ride, check clearance in my garage, then maybe add a 1.5" leveling kit if my maths work.  Thoughts?

3 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

So, I'm about due to replace the tires on my F350.  I was originally thinking of adding a leveling kit, but now reconsidering.  My truck actually fits in my garage, which I love.  I have a headache rack, and I'm right at 7'3" with stock tires (34" Michelin 275/65R20) and no lift.  I have 7'8" of clearance when my garage door is open.   So, I realistically have 4+" to play with.

I'd like the truck to sit a bit higher, and I like the look of larger tires without doing anything crazy.  Not a fan of wide tires, so I want to keep them inside the wheel well.  I'm fine with the stock rims, but would change out if necessary.

I'm thinking of going with 38" all-terrains to start and see how that looks.  Will they fit without a lift?  Should I consider swapping out rims?  My plan would be to see how they look and ride, check clearance in my garage, then maybe add a 1.5" leveling kit if my maths work.  Thoughts?

With all the considerations I think going 35" is the best all around option.  You don't cripple your milage, rear gear, height, or clearance as much staying in that range.  Your current tires are 34" so with 35" tires you get 1/2" more clearance under your axle and suspension.  Going to 38" only gets you 1.5" more clearance than 35" but potentially more headaches.

Edited by TexasEd
  • Like 1

On 7/7/2020 at 7:37 AM, Spaulding Smails said:

I’ve seen one with 37’s that was stock or leveled at most.  It was bad ass looking. Meaty and big but not lifted. Stock rims. Was the 11-‘16 model.  

• Like 1

On 7/7/2020 at 5:37 AM, Spaulding Smails said:

I've got 4 inches to play with too.

Wait...we're talking about trucks?   Sorry, wrong thread.  Mods please delete. 

13 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I’ve seen one with 37’s that was stock or leveled at most.  It was bad ass looking. Meaty and big but not lifted. Stock rims. Was the 11-‘16 model.  

Yep.  That's what I'm looking for.  "Meaty" is the best description I've heard yet.  I saw one driving on 290 two weeks ago that was just what you described that got me going on this kick.  I think I may go with 37 ATs.

3 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

This thing going to be $60k?

was shocked when looking at 2020 TRD 4 Runners. Listing between 56-60k. Did I miss an updated engine or transmission (narrator: no). Yikes. Truck prices are crazy. 

Don't think the Bronco pricing has been released (or even leaked) yet -- at least I haven't seen anything.  But, yeah, in all likelihood it will be ridiculous.   

On 7/9/2020 at 4:10 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

I thought they said competitive with the wrangler lineup. 

Most likely but the dealer mark ups will be insane for the first 3 months even though Ford will target truck like production numbers within the first year.

8 hours ago, Newdoc said:

Most likely but the dealer mark ups will be insane for the first 3 months even though Ford will target truck like production numbers within the first year.

I bought 3 Ford plain brown wrapper service trucks at the beginning of 2019.  While at the dealership I asked about the new Bronco.   The salesman I was dealing with said they had already received several sizable down payments and open ended sales contracts from folks wanting the new Bronco and wanted to be first in line.  

That sounds rather crazy to me.  

Looks like the 2021 Yukon will no longer be getting the 3.0L diesel. I was really looking forward to getting an AT4 Yukon with that engine and now I has a sad. 

Correction: looks like the AT4 trim just won't be getting the engine. 

Edited by TankedBevo

26 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

what did you add ?

The ability to see the clear reflection of a house a block away. 

I got this kit from AutoGeek with a Girot’s G9 and Maguire’s compounds. The photo was before I applied the silicone sealer. 

387FE296-359E-49F6-A4C7-84D7C2A0FA82.jpeg

Edited by TexasEd