Truck Nuts

BurntOrange&White

Wow, looks absolutely great, Ford definitely did not eff it up.

However, as a brand-new Jeep owner (just two months ago bought my wife a Rubicon JKU 4-door), I can say that it's definitely not a Jeep killer.  Getting in with the Jeep community, I can attest that Jeep people aren't going to switch.  

Agnostic off-roaders are going to like it a lot, though.  

However, as a brand-new Jeep owner (just two months ago bought my wife a Rubicon JKU 4-door), I can say that it's definitely not a Jeep killer.  Getting in with the Jeep community, I can attest that Jeep people aren't going to switch.  
Yeah, Jeepers don't like reliable vehicles.
  • Like 1

Just now, Chewbacca said:
2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Sure.  They laugh about their vehicles' tendency toward unreliability and throw stones at the gods whilst doing so.  It's what they do. 

And I still love our new Wrangler Rubicon, it's freaking awesome.

Tried reserving one tonight but it kept kicking me out. I have to take my piece of crap truck in tomorrow because the rear diff is humming pretty bad, so I'll see what they have to say on ordering one while I am there.

Edited by Brew

2 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

A lot of Jeep owners are not “Jeep people”, though.

Will be interesting to follow for sure.

Maybe so.

But I predict it makes very little dent in Jeep sales.  Nothing else looks like a Jeep and that is a lot of the allure.

I do think Jeep is smart to offer up the V8 right about now.  That's a swap that people have been paying ridiculous amounts of money to make, aftermarket.

Tried reserving one tonight but it kept kicking me out. I have to take my piece of crap truck in tomorrow because the rear diff is humming pretty bad, so I'll see what they have to say on ordering one while I am there.
I might need to look into a Badlands.

4 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
8 minutes ago, Brew said:

I might need to look into a Badlands.

Thinking about a base model to use to run around at the beach. I’ve been looking at Defender 90’s and this would be a much better option at the pricing.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

They put it in a concept vehicle and dropped some suggestions in the press release that they may make it an engine option in the future.  But they're not currently offering it as an option.

Yes, I'm aware that it's not currently an option.  They're moving to one-up the competition.  I think it's coming.

Edited by utee94

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

They're moving to one-up the competition.  I think it's coming.

Based on the wording of the press release, I suspect you're right.  But I wonder when it will be available.  Maybe sometime next year . . . shortly before the first production Broncos come rolling off the line.  LOL

5dbdc97b59da052b735443a6bb60dc51.jpg

You know, this little gear mounting rail is a small detail, but something I like.  With all the gadgets and shit people bring Into their cars, here in the 21st century we are still mounting that shit with auction cups or shitty vent clamps or lighter plug mounts.  Wish car companies would band together to create universal and solid mounting system.  Then car companies can fight over who has the most accessory mounting points.  (Like I'd really like a good way to mount a tablet behind my seat for my kids)

Rant over 

• Like 1

Last year we did Moab area national parks. I drove my stock 2x4 gmc midsized down Long Canyon from 313 through Pucker Pass. What I learned: off-roading maybe ain't for me. Didn't take enough pictures as my hands were gripping wheel white knuckles. Maybe in a cheap mahindra knock off jeep beater or SxS. Was it exhilarating? Yes. Was I afraid of doing tens of thousands of dollars in damage? Yes. Would I do it again... maybe. And that was a "green" trail. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
10 hours ago, utee94 said:

Read more  

Any motor offered in this has decades to make up before they reach 4.0 straight 6 legacy.  That was a very reliable motor, it didn’t even come with cam phaser issues. 

Reading some twitter replies for the lulz and it delivers. Some folks saying it looks like a jeep or an fj.  As if they’d never seen a 1st gen bronco. That’s like saying the new mustang looks like a camaro. 
others posting the fanfic renderings of a f150 based bronco saying it shoulda been that. 

now, can their baby diesel fit in it?

8 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I find it interesting that you and probably thousands of other people would buy a car sight unseen and never having driven it.  

I'm sure I'll get to test drive it well before any order is finalized. With any other car reservation (unless it's truly a custom car), you can walk away at any time.

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I'm sure I'll get to test drive it well before any order is finalized. With any other car reservation (unless it's truly a custom car), you can walk away at any time.

Yea, I guess for a car like this the dealer doesn't care of you walk away, they will probably be able to sell it quickly.

The guys on Jalopnik seem to think the reservation doesn't really do you much good, but I'm thinking the risk is virtually nonexistent so why not if you're pretty sure you want one?

I'm torn over whether to get one next year or wait until at least the second model year of production.  I almost never buy a first year production -- the manufacturer is typically still working out the kinks.  But part of me is thinking that the engine choices are both proven, so any issues would likely be very minor . . . unless they are electrical or structural, but Ford has a pretty good track record in those areas.  This might be one time where I'd be willing to make an exception to the usual rule, but I'm still leaning toward waiting.  I'm also thinking that dealers are going to be wanting close to MSRP initially due to the high demand.  Waiting until '22 or so might get me past the worst of it. 

Edited by Carl Spackler

41 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

The guys on Jalopnik seem to think the reservation doesn't really do you much good, but I'm thinking the risk is virtually nonexistent so why not if you're pretty sure you want one?

I'm torn over whether to get one next year or wait until at least the second model year of production.  I almost never buy a first year production -- the manufacturer is typically still working out the kinks.  But part of me is thinking that the engine choices are both proven, so any issues would likely be very minor . . . unless they are electrical or structural, but Ford has a pretty good track record in those areas.  This might be one time where I'd be willing to make an exception to the usual rule, but I'm still leaning toward waiting.  I'm also thinking that dealers are going to be wanting close to MSRP initially due to the high demand.  Waiting until '22 or so might get me past the worst of it. 

I'm not pretty sure I want one.  I still want to see and drive one first.  I do like what I see, though.

This is a weird segment.  You'd think there would be more room for Jeep Wrangler competitors but the Toyota FJ Cruise flamed out and no one else takes a stab at it.  (Any thoughts on the FJ Cruiser's demise?)

That being said, this looks bad ass.  I've always liked the 2 door Jeeps, practicality aside, and I like the 2 door version of this.  Supposedly, Ford focused on making the roof easier to take off as Jeep is a pain in the ass.

This is a weird segment.  You'd think there would be more room for Jeep Wrangler competitors but the Toyota FJ Cruise flamed out and no one else takes a stab at it.  (Any thoughts on the FJ Cruiser's demise?) That being said, this looks bad ass.  I've always liked the 2 door Jeeps, practicality aside, and I like the 2 door version of this.  Supposedly, Ford focused on making the roof easier to take off as Jeep is a pain in the ass. 

So, I own an FJ myself. A 2013 Trail Teams edition.  

The FJ sold well for its first few years, but the problems were:

1) The recession. Jeep is a much more historic brand here, and while their sales did drop quite a bit from 2008-2010, they recovered really well. Gas prices went up, and SUV buying went down. The overlanding craze specifically was not also not a thing back then.

2) The styling was a little polarizing (though I love it), and I think might have eventually reached somewhat of a saturation in the buyers market for them.

3) It was apparently expensive to produce in relation to how many were sold. It was fully made in Japan.

4) Not having a true 4 door model probably didn’t help. The half doors are quirky and while they do work fine, they are kind of awkward to use.

If it had stayed on a few more years and they updated it a little, it would probably be doing well right now, similar to the recent 4Runner resurgence. Also, they have 3 wiper blades.

I love mine, though. Nothing has actually ever broken on it. I am currently at 118k. I’ve only done maintenance, wear items, and replaced the suspension with better suspension.

Here’s an older pic. It has actual 33s on it now.

2a68fc996b3e571fb9089bf9510d5b66.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

I'm not pretty sure I want one.  I still want to see and drive one first.  I do like what I see, though.

Wasn't referring to you specifically -- just talking in general. 

I don't think having (or not having) a "reservation" will end up making much of a difference. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

So, I own an FJ myself. A 2013 Trail Teams edition.  

The FJ sold well for its first few years, but the problems were:

1) The recession. Jeep is a much more historic brand here, and while their sales did drop quite a bit from 2008-2010, they recovered really well. Gas prices went up, and SUV buying went down. The overlanding craze specifically was not also not a thing back then.

2) The styling was a little polarizing (though I love it), and I think might have eventually reached somewhat of a saturation in the buyers market for them.

3) It was apparently expensive to produce in relation to how many were sold. It was fully made in Japan.

4) Not having a true 4 door model probably didn’t help. The half doors are quirky and while they do work fine, they are kind of awkward to use.

If it had stayed on a few more years and they updated it a little, it would probably be doing well right now, similar to the recent 4Runner resurgence. Also, they have 3 wiper blades.

I love mine, though. Nothing has actually ever broken on it. I am currently at 118k. I’ve only done maintenance, wear items, and replaced the suspension with better suspension.

Thanks.  I remember them selling well at first but then puttered out.  I know they were made in the same plant in Japan as the 4 Runner and basically ever sale they lost by cancelling them was made up by 4 Runner sales.  They were on the same frame so that was easy.  I have a 2015 4 Runner Trail and haven't had any problems.

I just know it's a weird segment.  Not many off road SUV's but tons of unibody grocery getters.  I wanted something more off road/SUV.  

• Like 1

I really liked the look of the FJ Cruiser (Still do).  I've never owned or driven one so can't say anything more, but I think they're very cool-looking, and I've seen a couple built FJ rigs out on the trails at Hidden Falls that appeared to work really well.

• Like 1

So, I own an FJ myself. A 2013 Trail Teams edition.  The FJ sold well for its first few years, but the problems were:

They also did a poor job of marketing. Just based on Ford’s marketing launch yesterday it’s an order of magnitude better than any of the marketing Toyota did.
  • Like 2