Truck Nuts

BurntOrange&White

On 7/17/2020 at 12:31 PM, Nueces River Rat said:

When I first saw one of the 2020's on the road, I had to do a double take because I thought it was Land Rover.    But they are earning Fix Or Repair Daily the GM fanboys like to throw at Ford guys when they get into a pissing match about which brand is better.    I recall a few years ago the Explorer Police Cruiser was having issues as well.  

Fix it again Tony / dalegribble

16 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

I am a bit surprised they didnt hit 70k but seems reasonable considering the market push to every nice vehicle at 100k. It could be worse.

3 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

I am a bit surprised they didnt hit 70k but seems reasonable considering the market push to every nice vehicle at 100k. It could be worse.

Yeah, these #s weren't as bad as I was expecting.  The big issue now for me is how much the Sasquatch and "Mid" packages will run.   

Got a recall notice on my F150 and want to take it in to get sorted out. Does anyone have a recommendation on a Ford service department in NW Austin/Cedar Park/Leander?  This will be the first time I've taken it in for service, and all of the online reviews are pretty dismal for service departments across the board.

24 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

Honestly they all suck and they all take all day. If you can schedule an appointment with Covert and drop it off. Otherwise you will be there 8 hours in a Corona filled waiting room.

Shit, the two recalls I've dealt with for my Toyota were a pain in the ass.  First you make an appointment to "inspect" the issue.  They have to verify that you actually do need the recall.  Then they have to order the part, which can take months, meanwhile you can't schedule the actual repair until the part arrives, so that's another couple weeks.  Luckily they weren't super important recalls, but still.  

So yea, I only go to dealer service for recalls or warranty shit and I wouldn't even think about just driving up.  Always get an appointment. Then unless they say it will only be an hour (at which I prepare for 2), I tell them I'm just leaving the car there and call me when it's done.

Edited by dingleberryswitzer
Werent
  • Hook 'Em 1

Thanks.  Covert is certainly the easiest, and leaving it overnight is no problem, I work from home anyway so we really only need one car these days.

Would definitely suck though, to have to waste time with them doing a diagnostic for the recall, and then having to schedule a second appointment.  I think I only ever had one recall on my Blazer, and Autonation knocked it out same day since I'd made an appointment and they had the parts on hand.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2020 at 10:14 PM, HOOKEM4 said:

Just take it from brew and buy a new vehicle. It is easier. 

Much simpler, they had it ready and I was in and out in 20 minutes and off to the beach. Plus got $36k on a 2017 with right at 65k miles, a busted rear end, needing the timing chain issue fixed, and past time for shock service.

Anyone running one of the higher end lift/leveling kits? I swore I wasn’t going back with Fox, but Icon’s have a shorter maintenance window. Thinking about just doing Fox’s again and keeping the original parts as backups. After putting 3k on the new one in 3 weeks, the ride sucks compared to my old one with the full Fox setup.

all my previous F150's, i changed the every 5000 miles (zero issues racking up 200k miles). my 2019 has an oil life reading, debating with sticking to every 5000 miles or going by the oil life number, thoughts and your experience ?
It all depends on your driving habits and what the truck is used for. I'm downright religious about oil changes. I'd also suggest having your oil analyzed, I use Blackstone laboratories and they can tell you everything about your oil. Then you can extend or decrease your oil changes by actual data. Cost about $27 per sample and the report is detailed.

46 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

Also remove that terrible plastic front air dam. Ford makes them so massive I had to remove it from my F150.

Great looking truck 

Yeah then you have the stupid prius catchers sticking out on the F250. Either cut it down some or buy a lower profile one if it bothers you. The F150 doesn't have the same issue hiding behind the plastic.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone had any problems with the 10 speed transmission from Ford/GM? I have it in my F150 and havent really had any issues other than some jerky shifts in traffic. My wife has an expedition with the 10 speed and it started making a clunk noise at 6K miles when you shift into or out of 4th gear. It's at Covert ford in Austin and holy shit are these guys incompetent. I'm worried the expedition might just be a lemon. 

1 minute ago, mapplewhite132 said:

Anyone had any problems with the 10 speed transmission from Ford/GM? I have it in my F150 and havent really had any issues other than some jerky shifts in traffic. My wife has an expedition with the 10 speed and it started making a clunk noise at 6K miles when you shift into or out of 4th gear. It's at Covert ford in Austin and holy shit are these guys incompetent. I'm worried the expedition might just be a lemon. 

I don't have a 10-speed, can't help with that.

But I took my F150 into Covert Ford for a couple of recalls and a minor warranty repair, and it took them two weeks.  They didn't even take it into the shop for diagnosis on the repair for 8 days, despite me having made an "appointment" almost a month prior.

I asked upthread if any of the Austin-area dealer service departments were any better than any others, and the general consensus was that they're all bad.  So we've got that going for us.  Which is not nice.

6 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I don't have a 10-speed, can't help with that.

But I took my F150 into Covert Ford for a couple of recalls and a minor warranty repair, and it took them two weeks.  They didn't even take it into the shop for diagnosis on the repair for 8 days, despite me having made an "appointment" almost a month prior.

I asked upthread if any of the Austin-area dealer service departments were any better than any others, and the general consensus was that they're all bad.  So we've got that going for us.  Which is not nice.

I called Mac Haik Georgetown and they literally refused to accept my vehicle...warranty is cool until you have to actually use it. 

I tried to take my ‘15 F150 into Mac Haik in Georgetown back when I still had it (under full warranty) a few years ago because water was leaking in through the back glass panel and down behind the backseat every time it rained. Not a few drops, but a huge leak that was easily reproducible with a hose. They had *zero* interest in helping me and told me to go somewhere else. Fuck them and Mac Haik in general.

On 9/3/2020 at 10:10 AM, mapplewhite132 said:

I haven't had any problems yet in my '18 F-150, but the trans does jerk when I first leave the house at times. Gets to about 3000 rpm in 1st and then slams in to 3rd. Wife also has the '19 Expedition, but no problems yet. She just rolled over 6k on it last month. 

5 hours ago, williemackgarza said:

Mac haiks been good on my ‘15 F150 Platinum.
Quick and easy. I bought it new in Marble falls. But Im not a karen

You also didn't try to haggle on the price it seems. They asked me to leave over a $200 trailer brake controller I wanted them to throw in. Of course that was after they pulled the ole bait and switch on me. You do you, I will never walk into any of their shops again.

4 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

You also didn't try to haggle on the price it seems. They asked me to leave over a $200 trailer brake controller I wanted them to throw in. Of course that was after they pulled the ole bait and switch on me. You do you, I will never walk into any of their shops again.

I was hoping this story would be better.  Something like they refused you warranty service, so you decided to drive thru their showroom.  

We bought the new Ram at MH on Katy Fwy.  Fuck those guys and their $3000 add-on Texas Protection Package that's worth about $200 that isn't displayed on the website information.  Then the F&I guy tried to bump the price $2500 when we told them we wanted to use our financing.  My wife, who had been telling me to calm down all morning during negotiations, stood up and yelled out That's Bullshit! loud enough that 2 other guys and the sales manager showed up in the F&I monsters office from down the hall.  We finally came to an agreement but still fuck those guys.  I don't think my truck will cross the parking lot there again.

• Hook 'Em 2

56 minutes ago, texhorn said:

What’s the shaggy consensus on Leif Johnson Ford service?

Koenig lane service department was a nightmare the one time I used them. Lots of confused stupid assholes.

The quick service place off of ben white is good for the cheap oil changes if you bought your truck from them.