Truck Nuts

BurntOrange&White

20 minutes ago, TXLNGHRN10 said:

They did warranty work on my F150. Was pretty painless for me. Everybody was pretty nice.

22 hours ago, texhorn said:

What’s the shaggy consensus on Leif Johnson Ford service?

That's where I bought mine, so next time I'll probably take it there, even though it's way less convenient than Covert.

Best advice I've got on an F150 is buy used from private seller and keep a trusted, competent mechanic in your back pocket who knows Ford but has zero affiliation with them or a dealership.  Never, ever go to a dealership under any circumstances.  Ever.

I'm on #4 (including my old Bronco) and have been rewarded greatly by this approach.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2020 at 10:10 AM, mapplewhite132 said:

Anyone had any problems with the 10 speed transmission from Ford/GM? I have it in my F150 and havent really had any issues other than some jerky shifts in traffic. My wife has an expedition with the 10 speed and it started making a clunk noise at 6K miles when you shift into or out of 4th gear. It's at Covert ford in Austin and holy shit are these guys incompetent. I'm worried the expedition might just be a lemon. 

quick update - covert performed some ford service bulletin and the noise has gone away for now. I'm slightly gruntled at this point. 

I've bought 3 new fords from mac haik in houston and had a good experience each time. They will fuck you big time if you show up without doing your homework though. I got 25% off on a new f150, then 20% off a new F150 an 20% off a new expedition. Basically just paid internet price without haggling much. 

14 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

So, had a nice chat over a beer tonight with a F150 owner.  His is probably a '17 or '18.  Says it's already been in for timing belt twice?  Is that a known issue?

It appears there is an issue with the cam phasers on the Eco boost. They change out the timing chain during that process
That's what I went in for. Drove up with no appointment, told the guy about the rattle noise on cold start, and he was yup cam phasers, we'll get you loaner and take care of it.

Week later all fixed up.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TXLNGHRN10 said:

It appears there is an issue with the cam phasers on the Eco boost. They change out the timing chain during that process
That's what I went in for. Drove up with no appointment, told the guy about the rattle noise on cold start, and he was yup cam phasers, we'll get you loaner and take care of it.

Week later all fixed up.

We’re going to take our Expedition in, it has the same issue. 

Ordered another Fox 2.0 kit for the new F150 and like everything else out there it is backordered with no timeline for delivery. 

Was talking to my mechanic about the new Bronco coming out.  Said the biggest problem with the Ecoboost (no matter the displacement, apparently) is that the water pump is located inside the engine.  When it comes time to replace the pump at 100K or so, you're looking at a major job, i.e., 4 figures, to get inside the engine to replace the pump.  Even worse is if the pump fails and starts leaking coolant into the oil.  You likely won't know it's happening until after coolant is already in your oil and your engine is fucked.  Dude is raining on my parade in terms of being excited about snagging a Bronco when they start rolling out sometime next year.  Anyone else heard similar things?     

On 9/11/2020 at 6:15 PM, Carl Spackler said:

Was talking to my mechanic about the new Bronco coming out.  Said the biggest problem with the Ecoboost (no matter the displacement, apparently) is that the water pump is located inside the engine.  When it comes time to replace the pump at 100K or so, you're looking at a major job, i.e., 4 figures, to get inside the engine to replace the pump.  Even worse is if the pump fails and starts leaking coolant into the oil.  You likely won't know it's happening until after coolant is already in your oil and your engine is fucked.  Dude is raining on my parade in terms of being excited about snagging a Bronco when they start rolling out sometime next year.  Anyone else heard similar things?     

Would not surprise me one bit for Ford to do that kinds shit.

There was a lawsuit brought against Ford for this. Affected the Edge and Flex I believe. Can’t see that standing up long in court

I drove my eco boost to 200k, that pump never had to be replaced 

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

I drove my eco boost to 200k, that pump never had to be replaced 

Good to know.  I didn't get many details when I talked to my mechanic last week because he was busy dealing with other shit at the time, but the next time I get a chance, I'll press him for more details, e.g., whether he personally sees many Ecoboosts having issues with water pumps, whether he tends to see water pump issues in certain displacements more than others, etc.

5 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

There was a lawsuit brought against Ford for this. Affected the Edge and Flex I believe. Can’t see that standing up long in court

Yeah, once I started doing a little research, I found out about the class action.  I think it dealt solely with the Duratec V6 engine, but it sounds like the water pump placement in that engine is similar to the Ecoboost. 

On 9/14/2020 at 12:43 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Actually, it seems to be a pain in the ass for most of them (ecoboosts), but it's the V6, shown above, that puts the water pump behind the timing cover.  Christ.

My old POS honda accord was that way.  IIRC, the water pump was driven by the timing belt. 

It was a horrible car.

22 hours ago, Mother mopar said:

Starter shit out on the 07 Ram 2500 3 days ago. Common problem on the Cummins with the contacts. Summit finally delivered the new one and while it wasn't the easiest starter change why does it have to weigh 20+lbs...damn.

20 lbs for a starter? Fuckit, send it. /dodge engineers.

• Like 1

In Bronco news - Ford has confirmed that the Sasquatch pack will now be available with the 7-speed manual. Only available on the 2.3 though:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a34094734/ford-bronco-manual-transmission-sasquatch/

After months of petitions, tweets, articles, and likely every other form of communication you can voice your complaints through, Ford has announced it's giving the new Bronco equipped with the Sasquatch off-road package the option of a seven-speed manual transmission. Now, the Sasquatch package will be able to come from the factory with just about everything off-roaders want: 35-inch tires, an electronic transfer case, front and rear locking axles, a 1.2-inch lift, heavy-duty Bilstein shock absorbers, and now, a DIY gearbox.

The petition asking Ford to put a manual in Sasquatch-equipped Broncos garnered more than 11,500 signatures. The petition also asked Ford to make the 310-hp 2.7-liter EcoBoost V-6 available in Broncos with the Sasquatch package, and even perhaps mate the manual to that engine, but that doesn't appear to be the case. As with the other trim levels available with the manual transmission, it'll come with the 2.3-liter EcoBoost inline-four, projected to make 270 horsepower and 310 lb-ft of torque.

The Bronco configurator is slated to go live in October, and sales for both the two-door and four-door versions will begin next spring.

5 hours ago, smuggs said:

In Bronco news - Ford has confirmed that the Sasquatch pack will now be available with the 7-speed manual. Only available on the 2.3 though:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a34094734/ford-bronco-manual-transmission-sasquatch/

Good news for off-roaders, and good in general that Ford listened to the public.  Nice to see an automaker be responsive.  I know some will be disappointed that they won't be able to get a manual with the Sasquatch package and run the 2.7 engine, but the 2.3 isn't exactly anemic.

I'm still interested in the Bronco, but I'm starting to waver a little after reading about the Tremor package for the Ranger.  That package has most of the off-road stuff I'd want (I'm not a hardcore offroader) and the Ranger may fit my needs better than the Bronco.  Aside from daily driving, I'm mostly interested in using the vehicle for camping and moderate off-roading, and a pickup truck (even with a short bed) offers more cargo capacity and versatility for those purposes than a Bronco.  Decisions, decisions . . .

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a33994097/2021-ford-ranger-pickup-tremor-specs/

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

What's the surly consensus on best tonneau covers? F-150, 5 foot bed. We're moving to NC and I think I may finally need to put a cover on to make stuff I store back there at least a tad more secure for that drive.

I ended up with a camper shell after I did a bunch of research for my Tacoma, but had I gone cover, I had pretty much settled on a Roll n’ Lock. Both my dad and brother have them on their F-150’s and love them (dad has had them on his last 7 trucks). Pricey, but they are very nice. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/23/2020 at 5:14 PM, Carl Spackler said:

Good news for off-roaders, and good in general that Ford listened to the public.  Nice to see an automaker be responsive.  I know some will be disappointed that they won't be able to get a manual with the Sasquatch package and run the 2.7 engine, but the 2.3 isn't exactly anemic.

I'm still interested in the Bronco, but I'm starting to waver a little after reading about the Tremor package for the Ranger.  That package has most of the off-road stuff I'd want (I'm not a hardcore offroader) and the Ranger may fit my needs better than the Bronco.  Aside from daily driving, I'm mostly interested in using the vehicle for camping and moderate off-roading, and a pickup truck (even with a short bed) offers more cargo capacity and versatility for those purposes than a Bronco.  Decisions, decisions . . .

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a33994097/2021-ford-ranger-pickup-tremor-specs/

Yeah, but the Bronco looks way cooler and the top and doors come off. :)

i love my bakflip and the 'clean' look. it looked very easy to install. i bought mine at the same place I got bed sprayed and they installed for free

https://bakflip.com/p/bakflip-mx4-tonneau-cover/v/ford/f150/2019/

also, best $50 I spent on this truck :: BedRug Tailgate Mat. sure makes sitting on your tailgate a hell of a lot more comfortable. highly, highly recommend 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 1

@troph love the new addition to the rig. i was like who is this asshole? Hahahah holy shit, look at that asshole from the internet. I seem to see you all the time driving home. Love it. Keep being a badass. *disclaimer, if that wasn't you, it is a goddamn truck impersonator.

I am yelling muledick next time i pull up next to what I am sure is you.

Edited by HOOKEM4
  • Like 1

[mention=93]troph[/mention] love the new addition to the rig. i was like who is this asshole? Hahahah holy shit, look at that asshole from the internet. I seem to see you all the time driving home. Love it. Keep being a badass. *disclaimer, if that wasn't you, it is a goddamn truck impersonator.

I am yelling muledick next time i pull up next to what I am sure is you.

Hahaha! No CR! Shhhhh!

I’m probably running kids to little league and tennis and whatever else. Up and down 620, Lohmans, Blvd, back and forth, back and forth. Makes for a lot of visibility.

I’m having a blast. “Yuge” pick me up tbqh. Tons of folks giving me all sorts of atta girls and fist pumps. Had a woman go ape shit out her window today!

They shoulda known I invented obnoxiousness. Just ask Anastasis.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/1/2020 at 9:22 AM, smuggs said:

Official Bronco configurator should be available this month on the Ford site. This interactive garage site lets you customize and play around with it in the meantime:

https://www.interactivegarage.com/interactive-garage-demo/

6" Teraflex, Warn stinger and Falken Wildpeak 37's:

broncobuild.jpg

This will ensure I get nothing done today.