Truck Nuts

BurntOrange&White

My wife is adamant we need one. I agree but I am also adamant we have a system of buying a car outright and taking that fucker the end. She isn't happy she has 3 more years. Cars last 10 years or 200k miles then we get a new one. I grew up with parents that follow the rule and I have followed the rule. Idk if it is cost effective, but I follow the golden rule and I make the gold. Plus it is a slippery slope to start the whole new car every 2 years. F that. I want one of those so bad though. 

Tl;dr we will get one mid next year.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Holding on to my stock 13 Wrangler Unlimited until the spring. Then it’s either Bronco or truck. Want to see and drive a Bronco. I’m a 6’3 bigger (not huge fat but big) guy so I want a little more driver cabin room and not feel like my head is above the frame when I sit up.

I picked up my first truck (outside of oilfield work trucks) last week. Ended up in a F150 lariat with the eco boost. It’s a nice ride.. and plenty of room in the back seat for friends or the hound dog. Took it to moab last weekend to break it in a little. Looking forward to getting up into the mountains around Denver here this winter in it. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I picked up my first truck (outside of oilfield work trucks) last week. Ended up in a F150 lariat with the eco boost. It’s a nice ride.. and plenty of room in the back seat for friends or the hound dog. Took it to moab last weekend to break it in a little. Looking forward to getting up into the mountains around Denver here this winter in it. 
If you're going to be in the mountains a lot, might want to swap out rubber. What's on it now?

My F150 is over 15 years old so I'm starting to get the itch for a new one. Looking at new 2020 Lariat or Platinum models as there seems to be some deals ahead of the 2021s.  Based on some previous posts about engine issues would people recommend opting for the V8 versus the 3.5 V6 EcoBoost?

Any smoking deals that you know of? I saw Platinums advertised in the low 50s at Maxwell this week and might go take a look.

My current truck has the 5.4L V8 and (knocks on wood) I've never had any real issues. New tiers, brakes and some typical maintenance and it's been great.

17 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
20 hours ago, Johnny Chimpo said:

If you're going to be in the mountains a lot, might want to swap out rubber. What's on it now?

Got the oem rubber on there of course. Goodyear wrangler all seasons I think? 

57 minutes ago, ZB'Tejas said:

My F150 is over 15 years old so I'm starting to get the itch for a new one. Looking at new 2020 Lariat or Platinum models as there seems to be some deals ahead of the 2021s.  Based on some previous posts about engine issues would people recommend opting for the V8 versus the 3.5 V6 EcoBoost?

Any smoking deals that you know of? I saw Platinums advertised in the low 50s at Maxwell this week and might go take a look.

My current truck has the 5.4L V8 and (knocks on wood) I've never had any real issues. New tiers, brakes and some typical maintenance and it's been great.

I went with the v6 after test driving both it and the v8. I know that based on the stats they are almost the same but i felt a pretty big difference in the butt dyno when I was driving. I think the boost helps the v6 a lot at altitude. I got mine for under invoice, they are definitely pushing the 2020s out the door to make way for the 2021 models. 

As far as long term reliability goes I would imagine the v8 would be a winner... but I would hope not to see much of a difference before passing 100k miles at least. As always the big thing is to just keep up with the preventive maintenance schedules. I did a fair bit of research online and didn’t find anything to push me away from the v6. 

Edited by Johnny Chimpo
  • Hook 'Em 2

I went with the v6 after test driving both it and the v8. I know that based on the stats they are almost the same but i felt a pretty big difference in the butt dyno when I was driving. I think the boost helps the v6 a lot at altitude. I got mine for under invoice, they are definitely pushing the 2020s out the door to make way for the 2021 models. 

As far as long term reliability goes I would imagine the v8 would be a winner... but I would hope not to see much of a difference before passing 100k miles at least. As always the big thing is to just keep up with the preventive maintenance schedules. I did a fair bit of research online and didn’t find anything to push me away from the v6. 
50/50 whether they are worth a shit. Might want to try them out. If they suck, i can highly recommend Michelin Defender LTX M/S if you want all seasons or Falken Wildpeak AT3W if you want an all terrain. I have both and they are both very good in snow.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The ecoboost has more torgue. You can feel it off the line, where I think the 5.0 has the more midrange power.

I've towed my 8600lb camper with my 3.5 and it pulled it like a champ. The issues that they have are covered under warranty.  After the crap I had with my dodge, I get the 100k extended warranty anyway.

I couldn't be happier with mine. Just wish I would've got the lariat over the XLT, but even so it's still pretty loaded.

0bceb5529ce8226b045576e30b45ec3f.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, ZB'Tejas said:

I have a 2015 F150 Platium FX4 with the 3.5L ecoboost (and max towing pkg).  I absolutely love the way it drives, and the way it tows-- so much better than any V8 gasser I've ever towed with.  The torque from the boost makes a tremendous difference.

I didn't care at all about the trim level, but my wife liked the Platinum with all the gadgets and the double sunroof and leather seats and everything, so that's what we got.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 2

$56,000? Holy shit! You could get a great 80 series and completely refurbish it for that.

That is the rarest one though to be fair (the trail teams in general).

There was another that had been owned by Jerry Seinfeld a month or two ago. It was a 6 speed and had 3k miles but it went for $68k.

If you could find a 3k mile 80 or 100 it would go for an insane price as well.

54 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

That is the rarest one though to be fair (the trail teams in general).

There was another that had been owned by Jerry Seinfeld a month or two ago. It was a 6 speed and had 3k miles but it went for $68k.

If you could find a 3k mile 80 or 100 it would go for an insane price as well.

Yes but they are also far superior vehicles. 

7 hours ago, smuggs said:

Bronco build and price is live but still buggy. Sasquatch pack cannot be added with manual trans is the major glitch right now.

My Badlands build is 48,580... 53,438 out the door. Fuuuck.

https://shop.ford.com/configure/bronco/model/customize/badlands

Is ok, my wife told me when I got home the one she wanted was only 60k. For a vehicle she will use 10% of its capabilities. She is like the jeep bros that drop 40k in upgrades just to troll around parking lots. I played the rough day angle and now I am out back with the dog about to start a fire and drink whiskey by myself. Good times.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, BHMCruiser said:

$56,000? Holy shit! You could get a great 80 series and completely refurbish it for that.

Or you could get

8 hours ago, smuggs said:

Bronco build and price is live but still buggy. Sasquatch pack cannot be added with manual trans is the major glitch right now.

My Badlands build is 48,580... 53,438 out the door. Fuuuck.

https://shop.ford.com/configure/bronco/model/customize/badlands

I liked my 6 speed 2015 eco boost platinum more than I like my 2018 10 speed eco boost platinum. Interior is the same. The Ford transmission slip is more noticeable with the 10 speed. Gas mileage isn’t as good as advertised on either, but the get up and go with the eco boost is better than the V8. Both of mine have been 4WD tow package FX4 so weight is a bit heavier. I don’t haul so can’t comment on the tow package but you don’t buy the platinum level without it and ruin re-sale value. Does good on the beach tho...

I have the 20 Platinum w/ Eco Boost, 10 speed, 35 gallon tank.  I get around 12 mpg in town and 16 on the highway.  Made 2 trips to Colorado this year already and a steady 16 mpg.  If I drove slower, maybe the mileage would be better.  Running 80-85 most of the way and RPM is right around 2100.  If I ran around 65, I think the mpg would be closer to 18.  My buddy has same ride with V8 and gets a little over 20 on trips to his place in NM.  The Eco has much better power in the mountains.

50/50 whether they are worth a shit. Might want to try them out. If they suck, i can highly recommend Michelin Defender LTX M/S if you want all seasons or Falken Wildpeak AT3W if you want an all terrain. I have both and they are both very good in snow.
Since you have both lemme ask a question: how do they compare in terms of ride quality and road noise?

Since you have both lemme ask a question: how do they compare in terms of ride quality and road noise?
Defenders ride better (softer) because they are a passenger tire. Falkens are LT tires with stiffer sidewalls. If you plan on doing any offroading, the Falkens are the better choice.

16 hours ago, bigshark88 said:
On 10/22/2020 at 9:22 AM, Chewbacca said:

Realized I didn't answer about the noise.  I have the Falkens on my 02 Landcruiser and the Defenders on the wife's QX80 so I don't know if I can really answer that.  The LC is just so much louder than the Infiniti I can't really tell what is tires and what is just the truck.

I would say they are both comparable in the snow.  Maybe a small edge to the Defenders, but it's close.

• Like 1

I’m just getting into snow driving with my geolanders and it’s the first year with the f250 so I can’t compare to previous years, but they are quieter than KO2s for sure. Wet seems good, dirt is fine, I got through a little mud yesterday with a fair amount of spinning in 2wd but going back i locked the rear and used 4h and drove through without feeling any slip. 

they definitely don’t look as aggressive as the KO2s. 
mine are the G015. They have something like a 65,000 mile warranty. 

The more aggressive would be the X-AT that might be the better comparison to wild peaks or KO2s. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

On 10/22/2020 at 10:15 AM, ZB'Tejas said:

Anyone has a recent Chevy or GMC? My buddy just got a Denali which looks great but I've only driven a Ford for so many years I've never really looked into anything else. Also pricing on the Chevy seems nice and they have some really good financing specials out there.

I recently purchased 2020 Silverado Crew LT 4WD Z71 Texas Edition.  Prior to this I drove a 2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab and a 2010 Silverado Texas Edition Crew Cab.  All have had V8's.  My son still drives the 2006 as a secondary truck.  I traded the 2010 in.  It had about 175K miles on it.

The Ford dealers would not work with me at all.  Chevy was more than willing to negotiate.

To break the new truck in a recently I did a round trip in it from NE Texas to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons.  I even had to negotiate 6 to 8" of snow on the road driving over the Chief Joseph Highway for 40 plus miles (unusual for a Texan). Leaving Jackson it was snowing again and the roads were slushy.  It rode and handled great.  The factory tires are Bridgestone Dueler A/T 275/60R20's.  I also got the 5.3L EcoTech V8; 8-speed Auto; Tow Package; All-weather mats; Dark Essential Trim Package; Running Boards; Spray-on Bedliner; etc.  I love it.

I am surprised at how much I enjoy the All-weather mats.  It was great on the trip because there was a lot of snow and mud being tracked into the truck.  Easy clean up and did not have to worry about the carpet.  It also has fairly nice storage under the seats and in the rear seat backs.

Will be doing a round trip to North Carolina in it around Thanksgiving and then out West again in December for more camping and hiking.

I have since removed some of the dealer marketing/advertisement stickers.

IMG_4717.thumb.JPG.59881b557bb212540045290a252c64ff.JPG

IMG_4718.thumb.JPG.fe17c11799ff417564e293cc0f9f4111.JPG

IMG_4719.thumb.JPG.119e9859008b656653788383d938ce7e.JPG

IMG_4720.thumb.JPG.7ca28766a4bf969c6f109d122611db65.JPG

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Such a great drive. 

Unfortunately you could not see more than a couple of hundred yards due to the snow and cloud cover so there was no view.  I had made the drive in May a couple of years ago so I knew the potential.  Unfortunately it was my girlfriend's first road trip to that area so the drive was a bit tense (steep grade/snow) for her plus no view!

• 1 month later...

So, I'm almost scared to post this (out of superstition that the engine just suddenly blows up), but I respect the collective knowledge of the Shag/Surl so much, here goes.... A couple of months ago, the wife* and I purchased a well-used 2012 F150 (170k miles, Platinum Ecoboost 4x4), primarily just to haul our dogs over to the in-laws and for those rare times we need a truck. We (ok, me) have already made a few upgrades--some warranted (tonneau cover), some not (wheels/tires, MBRP exhaust).

After doing some research, it looks like instead of doing the exhaust (and S&B intake), I should have started with an oil catch can(s)? Any thoughts from the collective wisdom here--would it be worth it to install an oil catch can/separator now at 170k (I was looking at the Mishimoto dual set-up)? And I am DEFINITELY no mechanic, but if so, it looks like it is just a couple of hoses and the can installation--is it worth trying to do myself (I have already handled a couple of smaller upgrades/items (not the intake or exhaust, though)). In doing another search, it looks like a couple of people on here have experience with them, so thought I would ask.

*And just to show that despite the low post count, I've been around a while, no, I can't just have my husband take care of it and report back...

35 minutes ago, smoothlonghorn said:

So, I'm almost scared to post this (out of superstition that the engine just suddenly blows up), but I respect the collective knowledge of the Shag/Surl so much, here goes.... A couple of months ago, the wife* and I purchased a well-used 2012 F150 (170k miles, Platinum Ecoboost 4x4), primarily just to haul our dogs over to the in-laws and for those rare times we need a truck. We (ok, me) have already made a few upgrades--some warranted (tonneau cover), some not (wheels/tires, MBRP exhaust).

After doing some research, it looks like instead of doing the exhaust (and S&B intake), I should have started with an oil catch can(s)? Any thoughts from the collective wisdom here--would it be worth it to install an oil catch can/separator now at 170k (I was looking at the Mishimoto dual set-up)? And I am DEFINITELY no mechanic, but if so, it looks like it is just a couple of hoses and the can installation--is it worth trying to do myself (I have already handled a couple of smaller upgrades/items (not the intake or exhaust, though)). In doing another search, it looks like a couple of people on here have experience with them, so thought I would ask.

*And just to show that despite the low post count, I've been around a while, no, I can't just have my husband take care of it and report back...

Not an expert on trucks, Fords, or EcoBoost engines.  However, I am on my second direct injected engine and first turbo DI engine, so similar to EcoBoost.

The problem that a catch can deals with is inherent to gasoline direct injected engines and not terribly specific to make.  The problem is that because fuel is injected directly into the cylinder, instead of the port above the cylinder, valve, and valve seat, the fuel mixture doesn't "wash over" the valves and upper end of the cylinder/lower end of the intake port.  Therefore, those surfaces are not "cleaned" by the solvent nature of gasoline.

This, then, can make those portions of the engine susceptible to carbon buildup.  Big accumulations of burnt black shit everywhere, in amounts that would seem to, at minimum, interfere with airflow into the cylinder.  The photos of it, particularly on earlier DI engines can be pretty dramatic looking and scary.

Carbon-Buildup.jpg

Actually, I have seen photos that are quite a bit worse in terms of the thickness. particularly on the valve stems.  More recent photos show less carbon buildup than those taken 10 years ago.

Then the question becomes, where does the carbon come from that builds up on these surfaces?  It should just be intake air flowing over these surfaces.

The answer to that is that some of the intake air comes from the crankcase via the PCV valve.  The PCV valve vents crankcase gases, which include some exhaust gas and other cylinder "blowby," as well as atomized or vaporized engine oil.  This is thought to be the source of the carbon that makes the carbon buildup.

A catch can goes between the PCV valve on the engine block and the intake and theoretically separates the oil and some of the other stuff from the air, letting cleaner air go into the intake and reducing available carbon to build up on the intake surfaces.

For you, with 170k miles, the carbon has been built up probably to the extent it is ever going to be built up.  It's too late to install a catch can and get any meaningful benefit.

That said, with nearly two decades of experience with DI engines, carbon buildup seems to be a negligible real problem.  About the most trouble it causes is a slight decline in mpg.  Although, on occasion, it is reported that that carbon breaks loose and fucks up a piston, the cylinder, or the turbocharger.

I put 95k miles on a GM 3.6L V6 without any problems.  Others, including your prior owners, have put hundreds of thousands of miles on DI engines without problems.

Use of premium fuel and synthetic oil seems to reduce carbon buildup compared to what we saw 10-15 years ago.

So, catch cans seem overrated to the point of possibly being a waste of money.  The real solution to carbon buildup, if it becomes problematic, is a chemical (solvent) upper intake cleaning (I think all the major mfrs have a process and machine to do this) and/or mechanical cleaning (blasting with walnut shells) of the upper intake.

tl;dr save your money on a catch can.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

TwiceHorn, really & truly, that is greatly appreciated! I was actually going to tag you because, although definitely not a Shaggy 1%er, I have always been a car fan and really enjoy following the new car fanatic thread (and your posts). Once I saw that you had previously posted in this thread, I figured/was hoping you would see it. All of that (ok, let me be honest/generous and say 50%) makes sense to me--I was mostly worried about attempting/completing the install and it creating more complications down the line (it seems like with the Ecoboosts it can almost be a craps game regarding catastrophic failures).

It sounds like maybe switching to Premium fuel (Dear Lord is that going to be a conversation with my price-sensitive wife) and full synthetic might be worth trying to keep things as clean as possible? Good/bad, we won't be driving this a ton, but would like it to last a few years for the regular "around town" trips for which it was acquired. Appreciate all the information!

16 minutes ago, smoothlonghorn said:

TwiceHorn, really & truly, that is greatly appreciated! I was actually going to tag you because, although definitely not a Shaggy 1%er, I have always been a car fan and really enjoy following the new car fanatic thread (and your posts). Once I saw that you had previously posted in this thread, I figured/was hoping you would see it. All of that (ok, let me be honest/generous and say 50%) makes sense to me--I was mostly worried about attempting/completing the install and it creating more complications down the line (it seems like with the Ecoboosts it can almost be a craps game regarding catastrophic failures).

It sounds like maybe switching to Premium fuel (Dear Lord is that going to be a conversation with my price-sensitive wife) and full synthetic might be worth trying to keep things as clean as possible? Good/bad, we won't be driving this a ton, but would like it to last a few years for the regular "around town" trips for which it was acquired. Appreciate all the information!

Well, I have had similar concerns.  The alarm was raised when I got my first DI engine in 2012.  I crossed my fingers and came out OK.  Obvs, I have studied the issue some.

The debate still continues, but either the concern was overblown in the first place, or various changes over the years have minimized the effect.

I don't know that the premium makes that much difference on the carbon issue (I think it's a super good idea for a turbo engine to avoid knocking, which is very destructive), but I'm surprised that it isn't called for for your engine.  At 170k miles, looks like it doesn't matter.

7 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

That dude might need to clarify but I don't thing he meant high octane fuel.  I think he meant name brand gas that contains additives and cleaners vs a ghetto no name gas station.  

Nah, I meant high octane.  I haven't seen a big explanation of why it has an effect on carbon buildup, but I see it cited from time to time as helping avoid problems.

Synthetic oil supposedly is less susceptible to crankcase evaporation and atomization and, while mostly carbon molecules like dino oil, somewhat less likely to burn/oxidize into that black nasty shit.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...