Truck Nuts

BurntOrange&White

7 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
8 hours ago, Brew said:
Looked at a 4 door Bronco this weekend, definitely didn’t like it as much as I thought I would. They did not have a 2 door, so we’ll see what that one looks like

Are they in dealers.

Yes and no. This was the dealer demo, so they had 1 four door model that was pretty well optioned out for street use. In the 4 door model with regular street tires, it just seemed like another 4 door boxy SUV.

• Like 1

I love my truck, I don't do a ton of "truck things" the necessitate a truck. I move enough large objects, I use the interior space enough, I just hauled a trailer from Austin to Raleigh, etc, but I don't.... own a boat or haul dirt for a living or whatever. It's why I've got the small turbo 2wd F150. Plenty of truck. I *did* pick up the tile for our bathroom renovation from Home Depot the other day and holy shit when they dropped that fucking pallet in the bed. It's fun to do truck things every now and then.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/8/2020 at 10:52 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Synthetic oil supposedly is less susceptible to crankcase evaporation and atomization and, while mostly carbon molecules like dino oil, somewhat less likely to burn/oxidize into that black nasty shit.

One of the synthetics that is rated for 20,000 miles might be less likely to break down into lower molecular weight particles that can evaporate or get atomized in the crankcase. They probably even have some for high mileage engines. If not you could probably find an additive to put in when you change the oil to help with the high mileage stuff. Of course, I would still change out the oil at the recommended intervals.

I got my Bronco reservation back in July. Priced it out when the build/price went live in October. Called my dealership beginning of November to find out what their pricing structure was going to be for reservation holders, as I was supposed to order the Bronco this month. Between the dealership being shady idiot pricks with no useful information, Ford delaying the order process until January, and actual vehicle delivery being pushed to the 2nd half of 2021, I said fuck it and bought a Gladiator. Maybe I'll wind up with a Bronco in 2023 when the transmission implodes at 30K miles.

jeep1.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

I love my truck, I don't do a ton of "truck things" the necessitate a truck. I move enough large objects, I use the interior space enough, I just hauled a trailer from Austin to Raleigh, etc, but I don't.... own a boat or haul dirt for a living or whatever. It's why I've got the small turbo 2wd F150. Plenty of truck. I *did* pick up the tile for our bathroom renovation from Home Depot the other day and holy shit when they dropped that fucking pallet in the bed. It's fun to do truck things every now and then.

Part of being in the Man Club should require driving a truck and carrying a pocket knife.

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

My neighbor ragged me when I got my F350 two years ago, insinuating that it was overkill.  I reminded him that I own a construction company.  He rebutted that I was an "office guy".  Truth is, I use the piss out of it hauling our tractors, the occasional dump trailer, etc.  He just never sees that when I pull in the driveway.  A few months ago while doing our backyard pool project, I rolled up to the house with a pallet of tile in the bed of the truck, and three pallets of stone on the trailer.  My truck didn't squat at all.  Needless to say, he hasn't criticized my choice since.  

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Spaulding Smails said:

My neighbor ragged me when I got my F350 two years ago, insinuating that it was overkill.  I reminded him that I own a construction company.  He rebutted that I was an "office guy".  Truth is, I use the piss out of it hauling our tractors, the occasional dump trailer, etc.  He just never sees that when I pull in the driveway.  A few months ago while doing our backyard pool project, I rolled up to the house with a pallet of tile in the bed of the truck, and three pallets of stone on the trailer.  My truck didn't squat at all.  Needless to say, he hasn't criticized my choice since.  

One of my neighbors said the same, disdainful thing about my F250, Ram 2500 and F350.  

Then he got a steady dose of PJ 32’ gooseneck and Ranch King 24’ bumper pull trailers loaded up with redneck stuff.  He broke down and asked me if I would haul something for him. Of course, I did.  

He drives an Audi SUV.  I’m sure he needs the AWD and HP to whip into Starbucks while on his way to Nieman Marcus for a new pair of skinny jeans. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

I can't imagine taking any shit off any of my neighbors about my truck.  Most of them sound like @deadshank neighbors tho.  Audi's and other associated fancy foreign shit with a solid mix of skinny jeans.  My wife has signed me up to move shit for them in the past tho.  Still, I can't imagine me questioning them on their coffee getter.

I got my Bronco reservation back in July. Priced it out when the build/price went live in October. Called my dealership beginning of November to find out what their pricing structure was going to be for reservation holders, as I was supposed to order the Bronco this month. Between the dealership being shady idiot pricks with no useful information, Ford delaying the order process until January, and actual vehicle delivery being pushed to the 2nd half of 2021, I said fuck it and bought a Gladiator. Maybe I'll wind up with a Bronco in 2023 when the transmission implodes at 30K miles.

jeep1.jpg

I am in the exact same parallel path as you and am thinking about buying something else, including the Gladiator.

1 hour ago, deadshank said:

One of my neighbors said the same, disdainful thing about my F250, Ram 2500 and F350.  

Then he got a steady dose of PJ 32’ gooseneck and Ranch King 24’ bumper pull trailers loaded up with redneck stuff.  He broke down and asked me if I would haul something for him. Of course, I did.  

He drives an Audi SUV.  I’m sure he needs the AWD and HP to whip into Starbucks while on his way to Nieman Marcus for a new pair of skinny jeans. 

Lulz.... I hope you backed that 32' gooseneck into the driveway like a champ while he was outside changing his blinker fluid in his Audi.

Yeah, that neighbor of mine drives a Toyota Sequoia that he refers to as his "truck".  I tend to lean towards a Swiss approach to neighborhood conflict, so I just grin and nod.  He also refers to his riding lawnmower as his "tractor".  So, there's that.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I am in the exact same parallel path as you and am thinking about buying something else, including the Gladiator.

The thing that pushed me over the edge was the response I got from my dealer. I built two different versions of the Bronco that I wanted, one all the way and one compromise. The only question I had for my dealership was "what can I expect to pay for this thing? Below MSRP? MSRP? Dealer mark-up?" They couldn't give me a straight answer, or any answer for that matter... I can handle production delays and shifting dates from the manufacturer, but fuck dealership shenanigans. Especially for someone who has already taken the step of actually obtaining a reservation for a vehicle.

Maybe I should start a new thread for this, but I'm thinking about buying an old truck.  I'm thinking 70's era Ford 250. I'd love a K5, but I don't think they have the towing capacity I need.  Something restored or worthy of taking to someone else to restore.  I'm not handy enough to do this myself and even if I was, I don't have the time, the tools or the garage space (which is funny b/c I have a 4 car garage and only 2 cars).  The purpose of this truck is primarily to tow a very heavy boat (probably 8000# loaded and fueled up).  I won't be towing too often and I doubt I'll take long trips.  This would be mostly just to take it home from the marina (~5 miles) every once in a while for detailing or maintenance, or occasionally to take on a short road trip to another lake like LBJ.  

I don't have any experience buying classic cars or trucks.  How do I get started?  My usual MO when buying new cars is to read reviews and browse sites like autotrader or cars.com.  That's not been very useful so far in looking for an old truck. Suggestions? Where do I shop for these things? What do I avoid? How do I figure out the pricing?

And just for good measure, this one probably wouldn't do the job, but people like to see pics of old trucks:

Image may contain: car

Edited by Bob Lives!
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I really like the Gladiator, but I'm curious why it would be a substitute vehicle for a new Bronco?  A Wrangler is the more direct comparison.  Just wondering?

4 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

lol.  It's part of the experience.  I think we've all owned a Jeep at some point.  But, good luck. 

I love our Wrangler Rubicon.  But you better believe I bought the full extended warranty on it.  

My business partner has an F350. I make fun of him all the time because he never hauls anything with it. But he loves it, so who cares.

Lulz.... I hope you backed that 32' gooseneck into the driveway like a champ while he was outside changing his blinker fluid in his Audi.
Yeah, that neighbor of mine drives a Toyota Sequoia that he refers to as his "truck".  I tend to lean towards a Swiss approach to neighborhood conflict, so I just grin and nod.  He also refers to his riding lawnmower as his "tractor".  So, there's that.  

Anything with a body on frame counts as a truck.
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, smuggs said:

jeep1.jpg

I feel your frustration.  The push-back of the release date to July of next year (and who knows if it might get pushed again?) was a kick in the balls.  I've got two vehicles, and now that I got hitched (again) the wife's vehicle makes three.  We have restrictions on street parking where I live and my driveway only holds two vehicles, which means one of mine needs to go in the near future.  So the plan has been to sell my old F-150, which I mostly use for camping and off-roading, thinking that I would trade in my car when I took delivery of a Bronco in the spring, i.e., I would trim down from two vehicles to one by the springtime and be ready to go camping and offroading starting in April.  

The pushback of the release date to sometime in July (maybe) is throwing a wrench in my plans.  If I sell off my truck now, I've got no vehicle capable of going off-road until the late summer, which would be a major bummer.  The situation has me looking at the Ranger with either the Level 2 Performance Package or the Tremor Package that will be released in January.  But, damn, every time I see Bronco pics I'm conflicted.

15 hours ago, smuggs said:

jeep1.jpg

that machine...wow.  A guy can really cruise for cock in that thing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Bob Lives! said:

Maybe I should start a new thread for this, but I'm thinking about buying an old truck.  I'm thinking 70's era Ford 250. I'd love a K5, but I don't think they have the towing capacity I need.  Something restored or worthy of taking to someone else to restore.  I'm not handy enough to do this myself and even if I was, I don't have the time, the tools or the garage space (which is funny b/c I have a 4 car garage and only 2 cars).  The purpose of this truck is primarily to tow a very heavy boat (probably 8000# loaded and fueled up).  I won't be towing too often and I doubt I'll take long trips.  This would be mostly just to take it home from the marina (~5 miles) every once in a while for detailing or maintenance, or occasionally to take on a short road trip to another lake like LBJ.  

I don't have any experience buying classic cars or trucks.  How do I get started?  My usual MO when buying new cars is to read reviews and browse sites like autotrader or cars.com.  That's not been very useful so far in looking for an old truck. Suggestions? Where do I shop for these things? What do I avoid? How do I figure out the pricing?

And just for good measure, this one probably wouldn't do the job, but people like to see pics of old trucks:

Image may contain: car

I've thought about getting an older truck like that simply because they are pretty easy to work on, but the flip side is that you have to wrench on them a whole lot more. Modern vehicles are much more reliable overall, and I have to commute a pretty good ways right now. For an occasional use vehicle that would probably be pretty sweet. Just make sure you drive it once a month or so for long enough that the engine warms up and the gas doesn't get old. I would avoid leaving the gas tank low as well because in the cooler months condensation can form of the sides of your gas tank and contaminate it with water. Try to burn a tank of gas or so each month.

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I've thought about getting an older truck like that simply because they are pretty easy to work on, but the flip side is that you have to wrench on them a whole lot more. Modern vehicles are much more reliable overall, and I have to commute a pretty good ways right now. For an occasional use vehicle that would probably be pretty sweet. Just make sure you drive it once a month or so for long enough that the engine warms up and the gas doesn't get old. I would avoid leaving the gas tank low as well because in the cooler months condensation can form of the sides of your gas tank and contaminate it with water. Try to burn a tank of gas or so each month.

I love the 70s era trucks for looks alone.  Quality?  Uh....

anyway, the Highboy Fords are stand outs. 

4B3639D5-415F-4FD6-9E97-D125D34869DE.jpeg

392F6C7C-A11A-400B-9313-6CD13FCBC602.jpeg

Edited by deadshank
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
22 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

My business partner has an F350. I make fun of him all the time because he never hauls anything with it. But he loves it, so who cares.

If he doesn’t haul anything then he deserves the ragging. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/21/2020 at 10:40 PM, Brew said:

Looked at a 4 door Bronco this weekend, definitely didn’t like it as much as I thought I would. They did not have a 2 door, so we’ll see what that one looks like

Was it the full size 4-door or the Sport 4-door?

Regardless, I'm with a few others and seriously considering cancelling my reservation and just keep my Tacoma.

6 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Was it the full size 4-door or the Sport 4-door?

Regardless, I'm with a few others and seriously considering cancelling my reservation and just keep my Tacoma.

I didn’t even think about there being 2 models, but it was definitely the Sport. It had the slanted rear side window and looked like the new Defender. I’ll keep an open mind until I see the larger one. I have an order on a low optioned 2 door still.

On 12/22/2020 at 3:59 PM, Chewbacca said:
On 12/22/2020 at 9:38 AM, Spaulding Smails said:

Try this one:  "yea bro I guess you need that big ass truck to haul your wife around"

On 12/22/2020 at 7:49 AM, Celery Man said:

It cracked me up when I went to home depot a few months ago.  Some dude was loading up a few 2x4s into his bed and was wrapping them in a large moving blanket.  

I then proceeded to shove a few 8 ft 2x6s into my van and drove off while he was still working.  I guess he didn't want to scratch his bed liner. 

16 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

It cracked me up when I went to home depot a few months ago.  Some dude was loading up a few 2x4s into his bed and was wrapping them in a large moving blanket.  

I then proceeded to shove a few 8 ft 2x6s into my van and drove off while he was still working.  I guess he didn't want to scratch his bed liner. 

This is what the bed of my truck looks like after a weekend of getting after it. 

CE1D778C-B1E0-4DE9-A513-9E0E2FB381FF.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

touching james marsden GIF

1 hour ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Last winter, we did a work weekend in our neighborhood.  Clearing brush, fixing fences, etc.  A different neighbor of mine wouldn't even let me put a chainsaw in the back of his truck.  He didn't want it to mess up his bedliner.  Evidently, I live in a neighborhood full of pussies.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

Hey y’all,

HELP NEEDED. I am looking into 3rd generation (2000) 4 Runners and having never purchased a car this old nor a 4Runner, curious if anyone had an idea of what check boxes need to be hit or what kind of maintenance I need to make sure has happened before purchasing them. I see they run from 100-300k miles and $5-$15000 bucks.

thank you so much in advance. Merry Christmas.

Hey y’all,

HELP NEEDED. I am looking into 3rd generation (2000) 4 Runners and having never purchased a car this old nor a 4Runner, curious if anyone had an idea of what check boxes need to be hit or what kind of maintenance I need to make sure has happened before purchasing them. I see they run from 100-300k miles and $5-$15000 bucks.

thank you so much in advance. Merry Christmas.
Look for rust and get a ppi, but those are incredibly reliable. I had a 1998 4Runner. Bought new and just sold maybe 5 years ago. Had 240k and the alternator was the only non- routine maintenance i ever had to do to it.
  • Like 1

The more service records the better, obviously, especially for the timing belt (though these aren’t super expensive to have serviced).

Check for rust, check the ball joints, check for smooth shifting, and the rest is just a generic “make sure it all works”. If it’s 4WD, engage all of that to make sure it functions as well.

If there aren’t any fluid change records and you do purchase it, change the fluid in the diffs and transfer case. It’s cheap and doesn’t need any special friction modifiers or anything. Also, I think that trans takes the Type IV fluid. You can exchange it, just don’t “flush” it (with a machine that applies pressure).

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
5 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:
Try this one:  "yea bro I guess you need that big ass truck to haul your wife around"

He's also my BIL, so I'll probably keep that one to myself.

Oh. Him.  

He needs an F450 dually stake bed with a Tommy Lift. 

Edited by deadshank