Truck Nuts

BurntOrange&White

You'll use the different configurations of the tailgate way more than you think you will. It's awesome to have. Just make sure you take out any hitches if you have them in before opening it all the way down, I've almost put a dent in the top of the tailgate from that. 
Maybe I'm old fashion but if I have to remove my hitch to use the tailgate, that's not a truck.
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:
1 hour ago, TankedBevo said:
You'll use the different configurations of the tailgate way more than you think you will. It's awesome to have. Just make sure you take out any hitches if you have them in before opening it all the way down, I've almost put a dent in the top of the tailgate from that. 

Maybe I'm old fashion but if I have to remove my hitch to use the tailgate, that's not a truck.

Mine stays in 365.  I’ve learned over the last 20 years to give it a wide berth.  Came in handy a year or two ago when I was sitting a stop light and got smoked.  Completely pulled their bumper/trans cooler/radiator out.   It bent my ball up a bit but it still works. I moved it to tractor duty just in case.  Plus, you might just have to hook onto something at any given time. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Meh, that’s gate keeping at its finest. I’ve got my hitch under my backseat and it takes a few seconds to put on.

Sure it would be more convenient to leave in, but the tailgate is useful, and I use it far more than I imagined. More often than the hitch.

10 hours ago, Mother mopar said:
11 hours ago, TankedBevo said:

Sure but like Jofus said, I just keep mine in the storage box under the back seat and pop it on in a couple seconds if I ever need it. I don't find it inconvenient or anything. I use the different tailgate settings way more than I tow. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, TankedBevo said:

Ive heard about the hitch issue. Besides, I never leave mine on. I’ve learned from too many painful shin and knee encounters. I did use it today to make a run to the dump and the configurations are very useful. 

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

This. They even steal the fucking hitch hole cover in ATX. 

If it’s the Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade covers they sell like crazy on secondary market. Especially when only the higher trims had them from factory in ‘07-14. I had to buy a few of them because a camera is apparently not enough for my wife to avoid backing into shit.  2” ball enters conversation.  

1 hour ago, bigshark88 said:
On 2/5/2021 at 7:57 AM, jofus said:
Got my factory wheels powder coated, added black emblems and exhaust tips, added gm performance exhaust.

08428e5ba1255eccaa26be780415d5e7.jpg

Does it need DEF? I haven't kept up with the GM trucks.

That's the 6.2 but I have the diesel and yes it does need DEF. I filled it up about four times total last year. 

On 2/6/2021 at 9:20 AM, TankedBevo said:

Sure but like Jofus said, I just keep mine in the storage box under the back seat and pop it on in a couple seconds if I ever need it. I don't find it inconvenient or anything. I use the different tailgate settings way more than I tow. 

On 2/6/2021 at 11:35 AM, mininghorn88 said:

I do a lot of reverse parking as a habit from being in the mining industry. As a courtesy of those that can’t seem to pay attention when walking, I keep my hitch under my backseat and not installed so that others won’t bang their shins or knees when walking along a pathway.

On 2/6/2021 at 11:45 AM, T-shirt Sip said:

Ive heard about the hitch issue. Besides, I never leave mine on. I’ve learned from too many painful shin and knee encounters. I did use it today to make a run to the dump and the configurations are very useful. 

If you don't have one of these B&W hitches, you are doing it wrong. Best hitch I have ever used and it flips around neatly, preventing the ole shin killer. Keep it locked and always on the receiver. It took a direct hit from a BMW and no visible damage beyond a little scratch.

https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Hitches-Tow-Stow-Receiver/dp/B01BYHMB4U

• Hook 'Em 2

On 2/7/2021 at 2:32 PM, fattyflattie said:

but the biggest thing is to keep my shit from being pushed in at stoplights.  Has saved me and my wife several times.  

I’ve been rear-ended in my trucks at least 4 times over the years.  Every time either the extended trailer hitch and / or the Ranch Hand bumper has saved the day for me.   This is the last time I got hit from behind in my former Ram 2500.  It didn’t work out too well for the other party.  Of course, she was texting and told the cops I cut her off and it was all my fault. 

3DFC6667-9832-4B0F-AEC8-0C7CD19AA0D9.jpeg

3FD778B3-BECA-44E3-97F2-EAB32C82B1A2.jpeg

Edited by deadshank
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, deadshank said:

I’ve been rear-ended in my trucks at least 4 times over the years.  Every time either the extended trailer hitch and / or the Ranch Hand bumper has saved the day for me.   This is the last time I got hit from behind in my former Ram 2500.  It didn’t work out too well for the other party.  Of course, she was texting and told the cops I cut her off and it was all my fault. 

3DFC6667-9832-4B0F-AEC8-0C7CD19AA0D9.jpeg

3FD778B3-BECA-44E3-97F2-EAB32C82B1A2.jpeg

Looks and sounds about right. Bless her heart. Hope the facts worked out in your favor. Just another reason I drive a truck.

Just now, mininghorn88 said:

Looks and sounds about right. Bless her heart. Hope the facts worked out in your favor. Just another reason I drive a truck.

She sued.  Her attorney asked for not less than $1 million and not more than $10 million.  Went all the way to depositions for both parties.  She lied her ass off alleging every ailment and injury known to mankind.   

The DJ played a tune she didn’t like when her cell phone records came to light and her texting history indicated she was texting while driving into the back of me after she swore she wasn’t and had her hands at 10 & 2.  

My insurance company paid her $5K.

Unreal. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

If you don't have one of these B&W hitches, you are doing it wrong. Best hitch I have ever used and it flips around neatly, preventing the ole shin killer. Keep it locked and always on the receiver. It took a direct hit from a BMW and no visible damage beyond a little scratch.

https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Hitches-Tow-Stow-Receiver/dp/B01BYHMB4U

I'm okay removing my $35 hitch when not in use. I'll use the extra $265 on hookers and blow. 

3 hours ago, T-shirt Sip said:

I'm okay removing my $35 hitch when not in use. I'll use the extra $265 on hookers and blow. 

For 25+ years my $30ish hitch has just stuck out the back of my truck. It has never occurred to me that there should be any other place for it to be. It stays there until I trade the truck. More times than not, I have lost the key to the locking pin at that point, so I stop by AutoZone with the new truck, grab one, put it in, and it’s there until I trade again.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Brew said:

For 25+ years my $30ish hitch has just stuck out the back of my truck. It has never occurred to me that there should be any other place for it to be. It stays there until I trade the truck. More times than not, I have lost the key to the locking pin at that point, so I stop by AutoZone with the new truck, grab one, put it in, and it’s there until I trade again.

I buy a new one each time I get a new truck. Whole kit including locking pin. Of course I’m averaging 12 years between rides right now, so they are pretty well used.  Think I might do a fancy one next time because now I’ve got some 2-5/16 to join my 2’s.   And PSA, don’t use those cheap tri-ball hitches.  There was a guy on the hull truth that lost a 36’ Yellowfin when one of the shitty welds broke.  I mean lost it lost it.  Upside down in ditch lost it. 

Yeah, I'd seen both of those over the last couple of days while doing research.  I like what Nissan has done with the Frontier (I don't mind a higher bed) and I hear good things about the powertrain they started using in the '21 that will carry over to the new truck.  But I'm still leaning toward either the Bronco or Ranger at this point.  

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

For the Ford truck owners, I have a question. I may buy a used truck. The Ford F-150 reliability numbers on Consumer Reports are horifically bad, but the specs are good. I have a hard time believing it's that unreliable. Thoughts?

ive had 3 f150's (company trucks) drove all 3 like a bat out of hell. i had a powering steering pump go out, that was my biggest issue/repair. 

all 3 trucks went up to 200k miles. find a legit garage/shop for oil changes that actually looks over things. 

Edited by tx 3 putt

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

For the Ford truck owners, I have a question. I may buy a used truck. The Ford F-150 reliability numbers on Consumer Reports are horifically bad, but the specs are good. I have a hard time believing it's that unreliable. Thoughts?

I suspect certain engine/transmission combos might have better reliability histories than others.  For example, way back when I was looking at buying a used '97, I did some research and learned that the 5.4 V8 had a lot more problems than the 4.6.  In more recent model years, I wonder if the V8s might be more reliable than the Ecoboost V-6 models.  Or vice versa.

3 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

I suspect certain engine/transmission combos might have better reliability histories than others.  For example, way back when I was looking at buying a used '97, I did some research and learned that the 5.4 V8 had a lot more problems than the 4.6.  In more recent model years, I wonder if the V8s might be more reliable than the Ecoboost V-6 models.  Or vice versa.

I did some research on this when I was looking to buy last year and I never ended up finding any real detailed information pushing me one way or the other. They both seem to last fine if you keep up with scheduled maintenance. 

edit to add: I ended up with the ecoboost after driving both. I’m in Denver and the V8 felt a little sluggish at altitude. 

Edited by Johnny Chimpo
  • Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, my dad has bought and managed a fleet of F150’s for the last 15 years out in Midland/Odessa (has to be around 100 at this point). He has personally driven 5-6 well over 150k miles with no issues, and that is on all drivetrains. It’s the most sold vehicle in the US, so of course there will be issues. I actually just bought a 2016 with the V8 last month. I went with the V8 over the turbo 6’s because I tend to keep and work on my own vehicles until the wheels fall off, so I went with something naturally aspirated because my dumb ass understands it better. We have 5 F150’s ranging from 2014 to 2020 in my extended family right now. Great trucks. Will it still work after being in the ocean or parked on the top of an imploded high rise? Not a chance, but I have no qualms about my purchase.

Picked up this 2018 on Monday. Promptly installed a leveling kit and wheels/tires. Went with the 2.7 ecoboost because it seems to be the most reliable out of all the available powertrains. Only known issue so to speak with them is leaky oil pans due to gasket design. 

20210212-143148.jpg

16 hours ago, Hmbre97 said:

Picked up this 2018 on Monday. Promptly installed a leveling kit and wheels/tires. Went with the 2.7 ecoboost because it seems to be the most reliable out of all the available powertrains. Only known issue so to speak with them is leaky oil pans due to gasket design. 

20210212-143148.jpg

If I decide to go with the Bronco, I'll step up to the 2.7.  More torque than the 2.3.  My research has been similar to yours -- it gets pretty strong reviews.

Edited by Carl Spackler

22 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Consumer reports can suck it. If we listened to them, we'd all be in a fucking Subaru.

I have an 08 F150 4.6 V8.. 175000 miles on it.. I have been in the shop 3 times.. power steering seal wore out, blew out a spark plug on a cylinder, then about 1 year later an issue with the same cylinder missing.. IMO this is reasonable for a truck I've had this long. 

I like how Consumer reports gives a reliability rating on a brand new vehicle. Subaru has a 99 out of 100, while Ford has a 14 out of 100. Do they have some portal into the future? 

Downside for neg reviews, Ford has more sample size for issues.

Upside for Ford, they have a larger sample size to engineer from. 

I have owned a Ford since my one chevy experiment 20 years ago. I have had minimal issues. The first gen eco had issues but none of them were harder to fix than pulling out a drill and the timing chain issue, while annoying, didn't matter in the grand scheme of things. With Ford, if you go with second gen or later motor and trans, the only issues you will have are the common shit parts all manufacturers use. Blendoors, power steering pumps, other cheap plastics. I can live with that as they are all easy/cheap fixes.

What did you get and do you like them? 
I need to buy new meats and I want something more aggressive but not crazy.
Got the Toyo Open Country AT3s in 275/70 18. Was between those and Wildpeaks in the same size. Went with the Toyos because they weigh 11# less per tire. Both are E rated LTs. I wanted something really good in snow and didn't want to mess up the great ride.

Ride is virtually unchanged from stock. Maybe a hair firmer, but not in a bad way. Only real change i notice is highway noise is noticeable above 70. Not bad, but noticeable. Below that you can't hear them.

Only had them on for a couple days, but i really like them so far.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 2/12/2021 at 7:49 PM, Hmbre97 said:

20210212-143148.jpg

How are you liking the 2.7?  Someone posted on a Bronco forum that the 2.7 has the fewest warranty claims of all the current Ford engines, so that matches up with your comment about it being the most reliable of the Ford powertrains.  My own research is tending to bear that out -- most people driving it seem to like it and say it's reliable. 

9 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

How are you liking the 2.7?  Someone posted on a Bronco forum that the 2.7 has the fewest warranty claims of all the current Ford engines, so that matches up with your comment about it being the most reliable of the Ford powertrains.  My own research is tending to bear that out -- most people driving it seem to like it and say it's reliable. 

From what I've heard and seen, from an engineering standpoint, the 2.7 is far and away more reliable than either the 3.5 or the Coyote 5.0.  Perfect pairing for that platform.  Honestly, were I getting another F150 and doing little to no towing, I'd get it in that platform also.  

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Welp.....six-figure TRX ...nice commercials.  Looks good on paper.  Still a Dodge.  LOL

Yeah, I just don't trust FCA vehicles from a reliability standpoint.  Love the way the Dodge/Ram trucks look, love their interior and tech -- but I won't even consider buying one due to the reliability concerns.  Same thing with Jeeps.