Truck Nuts

BurntOrange&White

On 2/12/2021 at 4:24 PM, Dbeasy said:

For the Ford truck owners, I have a question. I may buy a used truck. The Ford F-150 reliability numbers on Consumer Reports are horifically bad, but the specs are good. I have a hard time believing it's that unreliable. Thoughts?

Mine have been reliable other than there is usually some issue Ford has never seen. On the ‘15 it busted the plastic gearing in the front drivers side axle assembly at fairly low mileage. On the ‘17 it busted a hub early and then busted the ring and pinion gear at about 55k. Each one of those was an issue getting fixed because parts were not prevalent. There are also usually recall issues just like right now I’ve been waiting on the front/rear camera replacements for 2 months now on the ‘20. The ‘17 also had the timing chain rattle that I never got fixed, but I did fix it on my wife’s ‘19 Expedition and it’s been fine since. 

08 F150 with 175k miles, 4.6 V8

2016 Expedition 110k miles, 3.5 ecoboost

Mine have been reliable by my definition.. If you have to go 200k and can't go to the shop not 1 single time, then Subaru is the vehicle for you. 

Consumer reports can really go fuck themselves. Who anointed them the experts on all the shit we buy? And how to they determine the reliability of a brand new vehicle? Do they have a time machine?

IMO, Chevy, Ram, and Ford are good vehicles. Get the one you want, and don't let the collection of nerds at Consumer Reports HQ put you in a car you don't like.

Navigating reviews of consumer products has become a total shit sandwich in general. Consumer Reports included.

Sifting through hundreds of diatribes authored by the Jerry Jerkoffs of Poughkeepsie and the Debbie Dillholes of Spokane to find relevant, useful information is mind-numbing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, texashorne said:

08 F150 with 175k miles, 4.6 V8

2016 Expedition 110k miles, 3.5 ecoboost

Mine have been reliable by my definition.. If you have to go 200k and can't go to the shop not 1 single time, then Subaru is the vehicle for you. 

Consumer reports can really go fuck themselves. Who anointed them the experts on all the shit we buy? And how to they determine the reliability of a brand new vehicle? Do they have a time machine?

IMO, Chevy, Ram, and Ford are good vehicles. Get the one you want, and don't let the collection of nerds at Consumer Reports HQ put you in a car you don't like.

I would beg to differ on the Subaru. The imprezas had their issues with blown head gaskets, throw out bearings, clutches that didn’t last too long, and etc. I think they’re fine cars but they are no Toyota’s. I had an 08 STI that I ended up having to do a combination clutch job, valve job, and head gasket job on. Granted it was because I drove the piss out of that car from age 23 to 28 but yea that was not cheap. There was a few other issues too, air conditioning compressor and the exhaust gas recirculating valve went bad on me too. 

1 hour ago, smuggs said:

Navigating reviews of consumer products has become a total shit sandwich in general. Consumer Reports included.

Sifting through hundreds of diatribes authored by the Jerry Jerkoffs of Poughkeepsie and the Debbie Dillholes of Spokane to find relevant, useful information is mind-numbing. 

Yet here you are on Surly.. LOL 

1 hour ago, Johnny Chimpo said:

I would beg to differ on the Subaru. The imprezas had their issues with blown head gaskets, throw out bearings, clutches that didn’t last too long, and etc. I think they’re fine cars but they are no Toyota’s. I had an 08 STI that I ended up having to do a combination clutch job, valve job, and head gasket job on. Granted it was because I drove the piss out of that car from age 23 to 28 but yea that was not cheap. There was a few other issues too, air conditioning compressor and the exhaust gas recirculating valve went bad on me too. 

Yeah, we had a 2004 Outback with the 2.5 H4 that we bought new.  Had it for several years until it popped the head gasket at ~100k miles.  Talked to mechanics (including one who did nothing but replace head gaskets on Subarus with the 2.5L engine) and found out that it is a widespread problem but Subaru doesn't care because it happens around 100-120k miles if it's going to happen.  The guy who did nothing but replace HGs said he estimated roughly 1/3 of all Subarus with that engine will have to do the HG around 100k.  Fuck that.  That was our last Subaru.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Johnny Chimpo said:

What was the outcome there? That guys tranny explode or what? 

On a dodge?!?  Well I never. 

2 hours ago, texashorne said:

My current truck had only batteries replaced (2x) until 210k, when I had to put a set of brakes on it.    I’ve since lost a CV shaft and hubs (helping a friend demo in Harvey)  and lost the steering gear box seal at 260k.   08 Duramax.  As soon as I can wrap my head around an 80k replacement I might think of retiring it.  I think I’ve gotten my 36k I paid (new) out of her tho  

2 hours ago, texashorne said:

Completely agree. And they wouldn’t use them like I do anyhow.  Unless I missed the month where they hauled cattle to the sale or pulled a load of bales out the field. 

On 2/23/2021 at 5:06 PM, Carl Spackler said:

How are you liking the 2.7?  Someone posted on a Bronco forum that the 2.7 has the fewest warranty claims of all the current Ford engines, so that matches up with your comment about it being the most reliable of the Ford powertrains.  My own research is tending to bear that out -- most people driving it seem to like it and say it's reliable. 

I've only had it a few weeks at this point but loving it so far. 2.7 has plenty of pep even after putting the 34's on it. I would love to see what a tune would do but I bought this as a low mileage CPO so I don't want to jeapordize anything with the 100k powertrain warranty. 

And yeah, I steer far away from FCA products. My mother has a Chrysler 300 and stepdad has an older 1500 and new 3500. Both the 300 and the 1500 always seem to be having weird wiring/electrical issues. Also have a buddy with a Jeep GC SRT and it loves to chew up transmissions and diffs. It's a shame too because the new Dodge trucks are probably the best looking trucks inside and out but I just couldn't bring myself to roll the dice with one.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Sasquatch?

No, decided I didn't need it.  I don't plan on doing really hardcore wheeling or rock crawling in this thing, so the non-Squatch Badlands has more than enough for what I need -- front and rear lockers, disco sway bar, Bilsteins, terrain management, 33" KO2's, etc.  Frankly, I was thinking about getting the Black Diamond trim instead, which likely would have suited my needs just fine plus is $5K or so cheaper, but decided to go with the Badlands.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I have been eyeing the Silverado Trail Boss, but really want the surround view camera.. Checking around on the internet, and this seems impossible.. I can't even add the technology package on the website under "build and price." anyone have ideas? After-market is not an option, I've been burned too many times..

Call me old fashioned, but I want my trailer hitch to be a solid piece of welded steel with a ball on it. I don’t want shit that rotates, moves around, has pins, etc. The $40 solid piece from Auto Zone works fine. I also prefer the simple pop out step on the Fords, they are all going overboard at this point. It’s not that difficult to get in the truck bed.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Brew said:

Call me old fashioned, but I want my trailer hitch to be a solid piece of welded steel with a ball on it. I don’t want shit that rotates, moves around, has pins, etc. The $40 solid piece from Auto Zone works fine. I also prefer the simple pop out step on the Fords, they are all going overboard at this point. It’s not that difficult to get in the truck bed.

I mostly agree, but guy at work has been using his lately and that thing looks like the cats ass.  I think it's ugly af from the back when it's all together, but he always has it configured in a way that makes you think damn that's nice.    

6 minutes ago, Brew said:

You will figure it out at your own pace I guess. Some people fuck. You clearly don't. If you want to step up to the big boy table let me know. Likely you don't need to with your truck. Prob don't tow anything of substance.

7 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

You will figure it out at your own pace I guess. Some people fuck. You clearly don't. If you want to step up to the big boy table let me know. Likely you don't need to with your truck. Prob don't tow anything of substance.

so far the most used feature of my $60k truck is the rather large back seat, it's very roomy

30 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

What meets the definition of substance for you? Boats most weekends? Cattle at the farm when we go to the sale? I can keep going if it makes you feel better. I’ve been through the reasons in this thread of why I stick with a 1/2 ton, but I’ll make sure to save you a seat at the adult table once you grow past the big boy stage.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Salty up in this bitch.  

@Brew nice garage(s) btw.  

Only bad part about them is the people before must have only driven compact sized vehicles. They have some tiny garage doors on them for the size of them for some reason. It’s night and day with the 10x14 doors I have on my shop.

1 hour ago, Brew said:

Only bad part about them is the people before must have only driven compact sized vehicles. They have some tiny garage doors on them for the size of them for some reason. It’s night and day with the 10x14 doors I have on my shop.

When we built, I had them add the max (4', not full on baller custom) to the garages so that I could get a 4 door, 8' bed in.  It was a 4k adder, and one of the better things we did.  Can't ever have enough garage space.  

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

When we built, I had them add the max (4', not full on baller custom) to the garages so that I could get a 4 door, 8' bed in.  It was a 4k adder, and one of the better things we did.  Can't ever have enough garage space.  

tenor.gif?itemid=5496141

6 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

The one of the left is detached and it’s deep. I can get two vehicles in the far left door bumper to bumper and then any size one in the right door. I just pray every morning my wife still has mirrors at the end of the day because the doors aren’t wide at all.

• Haha 1

Fucking Ford and this death wobble shit.  Business partner has a 2019 F350 with roughy 45k on it.  Had the death wobble fixed once under warranty.  It's already doing it again and now he's out of warranty.  Is there a permanent fix for this or should we just ditch the truck (it's a company truck) and get a GM?  Not interested in paying several thousand dollars so this can happen again in a year.

22 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Fucking Ford and this death wobble shit.  Business partner has a 2019 F350 with roughy 45k on it.  Had the death wobble fixed once under warranty.  It's already doing it again and now he's out of warranty.  Is there a permanent fix for this or should we just ditch the truck (it's a company truck) and get a GM?  Not interested in paying several thousand dollars so this can happen again in a year.

There is.  $1500 or so iirc.  I believe @deadshank has done his.   I agree, bullshit to let them leave that way.