Truck Nuts

BurntOrange&White

Well, I am now in the market for a replacement driver side mirror for my 2017 F-150. Some bumblefuck in a dodge with the trailer mirrors extended all the way out into my lane (not towing anything) hit my mirror with his both going opposite directions at about 45 mph, shattering my mirror. I turned around to find him, but never did see him again. It could have been worse I guess, but damn I didn't want to have to deal with replacing that mirror. Also, my damned sunroof track broke, but I was able to get it to close again so I don't get rained on at the moment. Wish I didn't have the sunroof, but it seems if you get leather, you get a sunroof these days. 

1 hour ago, williemackgarza said:

Im starting to get the itch for a new 1.
My 2015 Ford F150 Platinum w/3.5 has been great. If I buy Im going with another Plat/KR. Now to find the best deal on a 2021. Ill take my time as Im in no hurry

I have the same and love it.  It's only got 60K miles on it, can't imagine I'll need a new one for another 6 or 7 years at least.

But I always keep vehicles for a long time.  I had my Tahoe from 2005-2018, and my Blazer before that from 1995-2005.

My 2015 Ford F150 Platinum w/3.5 has been great. If I buy Im going with another Plat/KR. Now to find the best deal on a 2021. Ill take my time as Im in no hurry

Hell yes brother...but don't expect many deals on 21s. Inventory is incredibly low and looks to stay that way for a while. You should get top dollar on your 15 though.

I have the itch as well, my 2016 Plat 3.5 (98k miles) has been pretty much perfect outside of a warranty infotainment issue in the 2nd year.    I was waiting on the tremor package to come along, and to let ford work out 1st year stuff issues, but so far it looks like you wont be able to get the tremor in Powerboost, just eco boost.

So maybe i wait for the raptor (non-R).

8 minutes ago, mapplewhite132 said:

Hell yes brother...but don't expect many deals on 21s. Inventory is incredibly low and looks to stay that way for a while. You should get top dollar on your 15 though.

I got offered 31.7k for my 2016 Plat this weekend (from a dealer).

Edited by Mr. Drummond

44 minutes ago, Mr. Drummond said:

I got offered 31.7k for my 2016 Plat this weekend (from a dealer).

Those last 2k miles make a huge difference though.  I'd park it if you are really looking hard. 

1 hour ago, Handcruser said:

Plz get plat. That KR shit needs to go.

lol wut.  

37 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Those large silver inserts they throw on the tailgate of both models looks like shit. I wish they would make that an option for people that like that type of trash.

I'd probably opt out if given the choice, but I don't agree that it looks like shit.  Insert "ThatsJustLikeYouOpinionMan.jpg" :)

27 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I'd probably opt out if given the choice, but I don't agree that it looks like shit.  Insert "ThatsJustLikeYouOpinionMan.jpg" :)

I am certain I am in the minority since they doubled down on the newer models. People must like it. I think it looks absolutely absurd. 

5 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Those large silver inserts they throw on the tailgate of both models looks like shit. I wish they would make that an option for people that like that type of trash.

I had an employee who vinyl wraps cars on the side do mine to match the paint within the first 3 weeks that i bought it.   You can tell its still there, but it looks much better IMO.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Need a pic of this.

I see lots of white and black trucks that get them done in black.  Looks painted tho, haven’t seen one where I know it’s a wrap. 
Friend of mine had had his Plat tailgate stolen twice now.  $4500 from his insurance each time, and goes and gets one off craigslist for $1200.  And he’s got the little preventers etc to make it more difficult.  Both times they’ve left a yeti and other bullshit in the bed. 

10 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I see lots of white and black trucks that get them done in black.  Looks painted tho, haven’t seen one where I know it’s a wrap. 
Friend of mine had had his Plat tailgate stolen twice now.  $4500 from his insurance each time, and goes and gets one off craigslist for $1200.  And he’s got the little preventers etc to make it more difficult.  Both times they’ve left a yeti and other bullshit in the bed. 

He should initial them somewhere. Then when he buys them off Craigslist he could look for it, since there is at least a reasonable chance he’s bought his back.

I don’t know about the 21s, but I’ve had a 15 KR and 20 KR and neither had the chrome tailgate inserts and came that way the factory. If you don’t order the chrome package, you get a normal tailgate.

Also don’t get the KR hate above.

On 4/8/2021 at 7:04 AM, Brew said:

He should initial them somewhere. Then when he buys them off Craigslist he could look for it, since there is at least a reasonable chance he’s bought his back.

Yeah we kinda joked about that.   Thieves have paid for about 15% of the trucks initial cost at this point.  One was at his home in a very nice horse property type part of town and the other in the galleria (not unexpected).   Having a white or black vehicle helps out a ton in that respect, I guess.  Rather than some odd spec. 

Traded in my 18 F150 STX last night and upgraded to the 21 XLT Sport FX4 Texas Edition with the 302A package. Pretty much fully loaded for an XLT, minus the panoramic moon roof. Waited on the dealer for almost the whole week to find what I actually wanted once they realized the truck I came in for wasn't there anymore. They ended up finding this one in East Bernard. Had the V8 in the STX but this one came with the 3.5 Eco Boost. All in all I'm pretty impressed with the features and new styling inside and out on the 21's. 

IMG-6397.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sandman said:

I upgraded the Sync 3 system in my '16 F-150. When I went to see about updating the navigation maps, they want $109 for it. Really? I could just use my phone for free. They'd earn more in goodwill if they just gave it away for free. 

I just updated mine to the 2020 maps for free on my 16. Check F-150 forums for the manual way or cyanlabs has a software that will build a flash drive for you. You can go to sync 3.4 as well, which looks way better than 3. (Runs better too).

20 hours ago, UnivTex34 said:

I just updated mine to the 2020 maps for free on my 16. Check F-150 forums for the manual way or cyanlabs has a software that will build a flash drive for you. You can go to sync 3.4 as well, which looks way better than 3. (Runs better too).

I just checked out that Cyanlabs and it seems awesome. I'm just terrified I'm gonna brick my infotainment system, I have that kind of luck.

On 2/12/2021 at 7:21 PM, utee94 said:

No issues beyond scheduled maintenance on my 2015 3.5L ecoboost.  I love this truck.

Love the fucking shit out of my ‘16 F150 KR SC, 3.5eco.

Has every package, minus chrome. Not a huge fan of the chrome tailgate either. It’s ok, but a tick flashy for me if given the option. 

All weather floor mats fucking rock.

Had a brief moment of weakness in November with a ridiculous trade-in offer accompanied by pre-approved $100k, 0%, up to 6yrs. Was within about 5 minutes of a new Raptor. 

Then thought hard about it one last time and decided to hold off. I do need to do the sync update so I can run waze natively, etc. 

9 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

Just an FYI, if you have a 16 and don’t have CarPlay, you can update to get it, but you may also need to replace the USB hub in the media cubby with a Hub that is CarPlay compatible. I had to do that. $60 part, and easy plug and play swap.

Agreed. That’s been the main thing keeping me from having done it already. Easy, but time is limited and hasn’t been too important to trump other projects. 

eta: this particular truck was manufactured in August of ‘16, but not sure if they were putting the updated usb hub in there by then since the ‘17’s were about to start rolling. 

Edited by thunderlounge

17 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Agreed. That’s been the main thing keeping me from having done it already. Easy, but time is limited and hasn’t been too important to trump other projects. 

eta: this particular truck was manufactured in August of ‘16, but not sure if they were putting the updated usb hub in there by then since the ‘17’s were about to start rolling. 

My understanding in my research was as long as it was Manu'd after June you were good. Would be worth just updating the SW to find out. My 16 Lariat was manu'd in April, so it did not work, and I had to wait the few days for the part to come in.

15 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

My understanding in my research was as long as it was Manu'd after June you were good. Would be worth just updating the SW to find out. My 16 Lariat was manu'd in April, so it did not work, and I had to wait the few days for the part to come in.

I dug into it a bit a year or so ago, and here I am. I have a spare drive around somewhere, and may give it a go in the next week or two. 

• 3 weeks later...

Since I got accused not long ago of not using my truck for truck things, I wanted to post up some proof. Moved probably 30 yards of dirt and countless tons of stone out to the farm over the last week. Probably pushed the F150 about as far as it needed to be pushed and now really am considering a 250 again.

E3F432E2-EF7A-48E0-95DD-113F2280EE65.jpeg

• Like 4

Anybody put a set of air bags on their truck?  Truck cap, kayaks on top, cooler, generator, fuel and other shit in the bed of the truck and a 1K lb tongue weight trailer has the ass of my Ram sitting down a bit.  Co-worker recommends Air Lift, any other recommendations?

3 minutes ago, davidg said:

Anybody put a set of air bags on their truck?  Truck cap, kayaks on top, cooler, generator, fuel and other shit in the bed of the truck and a 1K lb tongue weight trailer has the ass of my Ram sitting down a bit.  Co-worker recommends Air Lift, any other recommendations?

I have. Will have to look up what kit I used.   I used to haul a 325 gal water tank around in my old half-ton, years ago.  Bags would level it out real nice.  

So they were discussing the used market over in the taco thread, and I decided to put my trucks through kbb for kicks. Wow. 

‘13 f150 lariat I bought for $26k 3 years ago shows a TRADE IN of 23k

amd the ‘17 250 I bought one year ago for around 40k has a TRADE IN of 48-50.

I plan on keeping these for a while so hopefully this delays the depreciation and I stay ahead of it with the payments in case there’s some financial emergency down the road. 

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So they were discussing the used market over in the taco thread, and I decided to put my trucks through kbb for kicks. Wow. 

‘13 f150 lariat I bought for $26k 3 years ago shows a TRADE IN of 23k

amd the ‘17 250 I bought one year ago for around 40k has a TRADE IN of 48-50.

I plan on keeping these for a while so hopefully this delays the depreciation and I stay ahead of it with the payments in case there’s some financial emergency down the road. 

It’s stupid right now. The 16 Lariat I bought 1/11 for 30k I have been offered 36k for by the dealership that sold it to me.