Truck Nuts

BurntOrange&White

6 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

It’s stupid right now. The 16 Lariat I bought 1/11 for 30k I have been offered 36k for by the dealership that sold it to me. 

I bought my loaded ‘16 KR new for $52k two days before Christmas. Financed $44k at 0.9%. 

Got an offer from the dealer for $42k trade in. Have between $6k-$7k left on it. 

New 350 I would want, the residual cuts MSRP by just under half, and I ain’t payin MSRP. At the very least I have x-plan.

Basically would have a $30k-$35k note. So payment down, new 350. 

Only problem is it won’t fit in my garage. Sure, people park in the driveway all the time. We get way too many of those unlocked car thefts, and vandalism is common. Not to mention the fucking hail storms and UV. 

That’s the only thing stopping me right now. Well that and probably having to order the new truck. Which means they’ll bend me over and give much less on the trade after waiting.

ugh. Fuckers. 

3 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

I bought my loaded ‘16 KR new for $52k two days before Christmas. Financed $44k at 0.9%. 

Got an offer from the dealer for $42k trade in. Have between $6k-$7k left on it. 

New 350 I would want, the residual cuts MSRP by just under half, and I ain’t payin MSRP. At the very least I have x-plan.

Basically would have a $30k-$35k note. So payment down, new 350. 

Only problem is it won’t fit in my garage. Sure, people park in the driveway all the time. We get way too many of those unlocked car thefts, and vandalism is common. Not to mention the fucking hail storms and UV. 

That’s the only thing stopping me right now. Well that and probably having to order the new truck. Which means they’ll bend me over and give much less on the trade after waiting.

ugh. Fuckers. 

Yup. I have a buddy shopping for 250’s right now. Year old, 45k miles, 3k under original sticker. I told his ass to wait. Just dumb. He test drove a hail damaged 250 in Marble Falls, brand new. The salesman was embarrassed to tell him they would knock a thousand off sticker due to the damage. He said don’t do it, but it would sell for that by the end of the week.

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Who’s buying all these over priced used vehicles? 

The people who can’t find something new. Drive outside a major city and dealerships that would normally have several hundred new vehicles have less than 30. It’s absolutely unreal. 

1 minute ago, UnivTex34 said:

Yup. I have a buddy shopping for 250’s right now. Year old, 45k miles, 3k under original sticker. I told his ass to wait. Just dumb. He test drove a hail damaged 250 in Marble Falls, brand new. The salesman was embarrassed to tell him they would knock a thousand off sticker due to the damage. He said don’t do it, but it would sell for that by the end of the week.

The people who can’t find something new. Drive outside a major city and dealerships that would normally have several hundred new vehicles have less than 30. It’s absolutely unreal. 

Yeah I get that. But the quote above for example. 3k off for 45k miles?  On a 75k truck, who has 72k but can’t muster up that last 2 months of payment?   I keep an eye on 3/4 and 1-tons because I’ll need something in the next few years. The amount of 1 yo 95k mile trucks for 85% of sticker is laughable.  To me I guess anyhow. I’m dreading the day I decide to actually get rid of my old girl.  Stupid pricing.  Maybe I’ll just keep her. 

Man, I just checked KBB on my 2015 F150 and the average trade-in value is $3K over what I pad for it almost 3 years ago.  That's... something else.

But of course, then I'd need a replacement, and I'd be yet another buyer in this seller's market.

12 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Yeah I get that. But the quote above for example. 3k off for 45k miles?  On a 75k truck, who has 72k but can’t muster up that last 2 months of payment?   I keep an eye on 3/4 and 1-tons because I’ll need something in the next few years. The amount of 1 yo 95k mile trucks for 85% of sticker is laughable.  To me I guess anyhow. I’m dreading the day I decide to actually get rid of my old girl.  Stupid pricing.  Maybe I’ll just keep her. 

Yeah, don’t buy until supply catches up

2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Man, I just checked KBB on my 2015 F150 and the average trade-in value is $3K over what I pad for it almost 3 years ago.  That's... something else.

But of course, then I'd need a replacement, and I'd be yet another buyer in this seller's market.

The reason I have not done it. 

Dad sold his personal 2018 XLT 2wd with 56k miles last week for 6k more than he bought it for last year. He has a brand new company truck so he pocketed the money and but most of us don’t have a company vehicle to drive 24/7 till prices come back down.

DUMB

18 minutes ago, Mr. Drummond said:

So I got an allocation on the new Raptor (not the R) and put down the deposit.     I am number 6 out of their 12 allocations this year.    Ordering in June, should have it in time for RRS in Oct. 

Did they do a redesign?  Why are they allocating them?

50 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Did they do a redesign?  Why are they allocating them?

Yes, its based on the new F150 - so new exterior, the new nicer interior, new exhaust, same engine but rumors are it will be over 500 HP now.  35 inch tires standard and 37 inch now from the factory as an option.

• Hook 'Em 1

Can anyone recommend a good mud tire for me?

I have the NItto Ridge Grapplers ATs on my F150 now and they are terrible in the mud. I'm not talking about serious mudding or off road trail mud. I'm talking about pulled off to the side of the road mud or slightly off the dirt road mud at the ranch. The treads fill up and get slicker then owl shit and  have no traction at all. 

Tundra is full makeover.

Also tonight, Ford is releasing the full electric F150 based on the rivian platform.     Will be interesting to see its numbers vs the rivian truck that is 400 mile range and i think can tow 10k+lbs  (although not for 400 miles ha).

Edited by Mr. Drummond

29 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I'll take 2016 tech over a front end that eats itself every 50k miles like my BIL's F350.

How in the hell is he getting a full 50k? 
I was joking, sort of.  They are not the appliances of yore, but still. 

Eta: this is coming from someone who would rather have less “tech” for the most part.  

Edited by fattyflattie

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

How in the hell is he getting a full 50k? 
I was joking, sort of.  They are not the appliances of yore, but still. 

Eta: this is coming from someone who would rather have less “tech” for the most part.  

Actually I just texted him.  He's at 2 times in 50k.  He is putting on the 3rd party fix soon.  

Toyota as a whole isn't what it used to be, but the Tacoma, 4Runner, Tundra and Landcruiser still are.

Anybody put a set of air bags on their truck?  Truck cap, kayaks on top, cooler, generator, fuel and other shit in the bed of the truck and a 1K lb tongue weight trailer has the ass of my Ram sitting down a bit.  Co-worker recommends Air Lift, any other recommendations?
I put these on a 2010 Ram 1500 and they were awesome. Highly recommend it if you have rear end sag while trailering.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PXKTQ9S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_8929TSGX14DQXQTHDBNF?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Paired with a small compressor that runs on (your preferred brand of) drill battery it's super functional.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085DV34VC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_4YC7TQTA6ASJE9H42B2X?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Don't know if I'd pay for the onboard compressor and management system with one of the above.
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, bigshark88 said:

I put these on a 2010 Ram 1500 and they were awesome. Highly recommend it if you have rear end sag while trailering.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PXKTQ9S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_8929TSGX14DQXQTHDBNF?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Paired with a small compressor that runs on (your preferred brand of) drill battery it's super functional.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085DV34VC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_4YC7TQTA6ASJE9H42B2X?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Don't know if I'd pay for the onboard compressor and management system with one of the above.

The 5000 is the one I’m looking at.  Where did you mount the valve stems?  I don’t think I’m gonna get the onboard air but am about to buy a Viair 12v compressor for the truck and RV.  I have a camper shell and keep an action packer tote with some tools, jumper cables, tow strap,  etc that I can put the compressor inside for storage.

Wish they could have made the 300 mile range standard with a 400 mile range upgrade like the Rivian R1T. Towing/hauling is going to take a serious bite out of that max range.

Like the Tesla this truck is going to make the automotive history books. Good for Ford, I'm pumped.

• Like 1

We Bet F-150 Lightning's Range Is under 100 Miles when Towing at the Max

Ford promises EPA ratings of 230 and 300 miles, but towing and hauling near the claimed 10,000-pound maximum is going to seriously cut into those figures.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/amp36481590/ford-f150-lightning-range-towing/

I’m on several RV boards and FB RV groups and the Lightning is getting o

lots of comments.  I think C&D hit it right on the head.  Between the mileage and dealing with charging (Can you imagine trying to quick charge while towing a boat or RV?  What are you gonna do, unhook and move to a charger , then go hook back up?)  I don’t think these 1gens will be comparable to a ICE truck.  I do think they will be great for around the town service/delivery type applications where you can have a bunch of Level 2 chargers back in the parking lots of the shop but towing out on the road, that’s a nope for me.

Spoiler

Range typically occupies an outsized chunk of the conversation on any new EV. But, in the case of the F-150 Lightning, which has the bestselling pickup's usual healthy scoop of towing and hauling capabilities, things get even more complicated than normal.

Ford is claiming that the range figures for its electric pickup will come in at 230 miles and 300 miles, depending on whether the standard-range (which we estimate can hold 115.0 kWh) or extended-range battery pack (150.0 kWh, same caveat) is beneath the bed. Those are EPA predictions, specifically EPA combined figures, in lightly loaded conditions.

Although the Lightning is aided by the aerodynamic effects of its flat underbody, when running at real highway speeds there's no tricking the air molecules, and a bluff truck is going to suffer. In our highway range testing, which we conduct at a steady 75 mph, we typically see a range number that's about 20 percent below the EPA figure. Using that same bogey, which is probably generous in the case of a full-size pickup, would put the Lightning in the 180-to-240-mile zone for what you might achieve on a road trip.

In a recent towing test with another EV, lugging a 3859-pound boat at 70 mph chopped its range in half compared to a run at the same speed sans trailer. Applying these results to the F-150 means that towing a modest trailer would put the highway range at roughly 100 to 125 miles, depending on the pack. Towing anywhere near the 10,000-pound maximum rating on XLT and Lariat models (with the maximum trailer tow package and extended-range battery) at highway speeds, we believe you'd be hard pressed to exceed double-digit miles. We'd take that bet, in fact.

Utilizing the Lightning's payload capabilities, which are 1800 pounds for the extended-range battery and 2000 pounds for the smaller pack will put you somewhere between these two extremes. And those figures both include the up-to-400 pounds that can be stowed in the large and handy front trunk.

At least there's some smart technology to help adjust the range prediction shown to the driver in day-to-day use. As launched on the 2021 F-150, the Lightning uses a height sensor at each corner to estimate the load in the bed or on the trailer hitch and preemptively adjusts down the range predictions accordingly. 

The old adage "your mileage may vary" is very apropos when discussing EVs. And the F-150 Lightning's, because of its tough-truck capabilities, will vary more than most.

I drove a bit over 1000 miles yesterday because we needing something to keep work going over the weekend, and overnight wasn’t available.  I just can’t imagine not being able to do that when needed.  Also, it sucked in and an empty 3/4 ton on shit Ohio roads can go fuck itself.  

I did walk into a shop with more tOSU bullshit than I’ve even seen, about 1 mile from the campus, and happened to be wearing a UT shirt so that was lol worthy.    “I forgot how lovely your campus was, haven’t been here since ‘05, I guess. Man, time flies”. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

They shouldn't be starting with the F150.

They should start with an electric Ranger and target the service industry. Pool cleaners, pest control, electric companies, telecom companies, city maintenance crews.

Fleet vehicles that spend their lives driving around cities and can charge at night in a central facility of some kind.

Road trips and towing aren't going to work with an EV truck for a while.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, davidg said:

We Bet F-150 Lightning's Range Is under 100 Miles when Towing at the Max

By my rough and non scientific estimate of maybe 1% of all f150s on the road are actually used for towing, so I doubt towing range matters.  Most trucks are just commuter cars, and for that purpose an electric truck is fine.  

It’ll be interesting to see how these things sell once the hype wears off. 

13 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Maybe it’s because the ranger took a decade off but everything you listed was what half tons are made for. 

And the current Rangers, Colorados, and Tacomas are the size that half tons used to be, while half tons are bloated inefficient whales.

The Ranger is within a couple inches of a 90s F150, is more powerful and I think has better payload.

It's a way more efficient choice for all those service fleet style vehicles. Rangers and Transit vans are better suited for those applications in cities than half-tons are.

16 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

They shouldn't be starting with the F150.

They should start with an electric Ranger and target the service industry. Pool cleaners, pest control, electric companies, telecom companies, city maintenance crews.

Fleet vehicles that spend their lives driving around cities and can charge at night in a central facility of some kind.

Road trips and towing aren't going to work with an EV truck for a while.

F150 and that transit can do all of that.  But how many of those type of service vehicles drove more than 300 miles a day?

Probably not many, they spend a ton of time parked at the call while they do the job. And a smaller, lighter EV Ranger would naturally have better range as well.

I'm fine with the EV F150 existing, I'm just saying an EV Ranger is the more logical choice from an efficiency and engineering standpoint. 

I'm sure an EV 150 will sell more, though, which is why they made it.

4 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

Probably not many, they spend a ton of time parked at the call while they do the job. And a smaller, lighter EV Ranger would naturally have better range as well.

I'm fine with the EV F150 existing, I'm just saying an EV Ranger is the more logical choice from an efficiency and engineering standpoint. 

I'm sure an EV 150 will sell more, though, which is why they made it.

Most people buying trucks buy for the size. Ford probably isn’t designing this for fleet usage, it’s for people that like the thought of a Tesla but prefer the size of the truck. They just drive around town and rarely tow and this works perfectly. It does not work for me, but the concept makes sense. Even the towing issues would be fine for most people that are running back and forth to the lake, Home Depot, wherever that is inside of 50 miles from their house.

• Hook 'Em 1