Truck Nuts

BurntOrange&White

I created this thread on shaggy and totally forgot about it when the eskimos invaded last weekend. It warms my trucknuts to see this thread crossover to the new world.

All BS aside, it's an exciting year for trucks with the new ram and chevy/GMC.  So far I'm disappointed in ram's Mpg's for an all new model, but otherwise the truck looks amazing.

GMC is getting extreme with the cylinder deactivation, apparently. I have a 2017 and I honestly don't understand why there's not an eco mode for when I'm commuting to work and have no problem staying in V4 mode.

16 hours ago, Buffsoldier said:

Just crossed 286,000 in my 99 Ram 2500.  5.9L gas engine, if anyone gives a shit.  That big nasty bastard is starting to give the signs that it's time to get a new one, and right now I'm torn between the 2019 Chev and the 2019 Ram 1500.  Gonna have to do some serious research, as they both look pretty good to me.

chevyram.jpg

The chrome on that Dodge...dear lord my eyes i've gone blind.

On 3/29/2018 at 3:28 PM, mapplewhite132 said:

I have an 18 4x4 with the 10 speed and 2.7 ecoboost. It's way more fun to drive than my brothers 5.0 V8 6 speed. I'm a little nervous about the reliability of the 10spd, but so far it has been great. The 3.5 is a BEAST but the 2.7 is pretty damn fun to drive. Getting 19.3mpg combined so far in my 2018. 

I think I'm going to get the wife one of the new expeditions with the 3.5 ecoboost and 10 spd. They are pricey tho

I have '17 4x4 Lariat with the 10 speed and 3.5 ecoboost.  Gas mileage is just a little less at 18.5 combined, but really good power almost like a V8.  I have been happy with it. 

What's the thinking of the group on the best bed cover?  I'm thinking of getting a Roll-n-lock, but man it's pricey.  Other option is one of the metal manual roll ups like a Bakflip.

2000 Silverado here with a quarter million miles on it- getting it's 3rd fuel pump as we speak.  I don't need (or even prefer) shiny and new but it's only a matter of time before I'm forced to upgrade.  I'd love to stick with a Chevy but here in Minneapolis, the bodies rust out long before the drivetrain fails.  Might have to switch to the aluminium F150 for that reason alone.  Anyone have issues with other corrosion on their Fords?

Edited by TexasHooch

3 hours ago, 89Horn said:

I have '17 4x4 Lariat with the 10 speed and 3.5 ecoboost.  Gas mileage is just a little less at 18.5 combined, but really good power almost like a V8.  I have been happy with it. 

What's the thinking of the group on the best bed cover?  I'm thinking of getting a Roll-n-lock, but man it's pricey.  Other option is one of the metal manual roll ups like a Bakflip.

https://www.undercoverinfo.com/p-37114-ultra-flex.html

I went with this cover and have been extremely happy with it. I’ve got a combined average of 14.9 in my ‘17 with the 3.5

On 3/25/2018 at 7:46 PM, deadshank said:

Switching back to Ford from RAM.  Just ordered 2019 F350, 6.7L diesel, 4 door, 4x4, Super Lariat package, rigged for towing. 

Will put leveling kit on front and load leveler airbags in back.  Will pull the wheels and tires and go with Nitto and some not so garish after market rims.

I enjoyed the RAM for the Cummins diesel and the Megacab but the experiment is over. Also going back to white. The black RAM was sharp looking but hell to keep halfway clean looking.  Every trip to deer lease made the truck look like hell. 

Nice! Dually or SRW? Color?

I didn’t know 2019 order banks were open yet. Supposedly a 10 speed transmission is coming for model year 2020.

I got the back flip revolver, I like it because it doesn’t block my view when rolled up like the tri folds

26 minutes ago, mapplewhite132 said:

damn, what happened?

Appears that a crew hit a couple streets in the neighborhood.  At least 2 cars stolen, numerous reports of vehicles being sacked.  Both our cars were outside of the garage unfortunately, and both got hit, but they made off with my truck. Seal on the wives passenger side door is all jacked up. The hood is behind a gate with cameras at the entrance,  and many of my neighbors have video set ups, so I think it's just a matter of searching archives before somebody finds something on tape. Some motherfucker either has huge fucking balls, shit for brains, or likely some combination of both.  Wish they would have taken the wifes car, we need to replace that thing anyways, but my truck had many years of good life left in it.   

Edited by Anastasis

13 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Appears that a crew hit a couple streets in the neighborhood.  At least 2 cars stolen, numerous reports of vehicles being sacked.  Both our cars were outside of the garage unfortunately, and both got hit, but they made off with my truck. The hood is behind a gate with cameras at the entrance,  and many of my neighbors have video set ups, so I think it's just a matter of searching archives before somebody finds something on tape. Some motherfucker either has huge fucking balls, shit for brains, or likely some combination of both.  Wish they would have taken the wifes car, we need to replace that thing anyways, but my truck had many years of good life left in it.   

Sorry to hear that...hope you had comprehensive coverage on it. 

In Austin, ford trucks are #1 stolen and Chevrolet #2. My friend had his raptor stolen at town lake while he was running. His running buddy had his new Texas Edition keys in the same truck to they made off with that one too. The onstar was able to shut down the Chevrolet about a mile away. The raptor had a $15k bike in it, pistol in the console and iPad as well. He had everything replaced. This shit part is that APD didn’t care because they were driving through the tolls every day at the same time. We thought about trying to catch  the guy but what would we do...shoot him? He also decided after a week or so, you don’t want the truck back anyways. They ended up finding the truck after they got away in a police chase through some fields around Gonzales, TX. Seats were ripped out, factory dash was ripped out. If you’re ever bored, you can go about 100yds west of the rowing dock in town lake. Look in the bushes about 3yds in and you’ll see about 20 factory stereos. You would think our police force would want them fingerprinted but that’s just too much work...

http://www.kxan.com/news/crime/thieves-are-targeting-this-type-of-vehicle-at-a-popular-lady-bird-lake-spot_20180312075438908/1031486510

3 hours ago, JGHorn said:

Nice! Dually or SRW? Color?

I didn’t know 2019 order banks were open yet. Supposedly a 10 speed transmission is coming for model year 2020.

SRW.  White with some kind of grayish accent stripe at bottom.  I was ordering a 2018 but my sales guy went on vacation before I could finalize the order.  When he came back the computer was telling him it was time to order 2019s.  He is actually ordering both and if the 2018 takes then I get my new truck in May.  If the 2018 order doesn't take then I'll get a 2019 in June or July.  The price is staying the same for either.  I really don't care either way.

The good thing (if there is such a bird when dealing with dealerships) is we are building a house for a big cigar in one of the national auto dealer ownership groups and he got me hooked up on what appears to be a pretty good deal.  The best deal?  Who knows?  I did have another guy I know that is in the car bidness take a look at the pricing and options I ordered and he tells me I'm getting a good deal. 

Knowing my luck they're both lying and laughing at me down at the car dealers' association club house while smoking cigarettes, drinking cheap bourbon and playing bumper pool.

Is there a way to run a Roll-n-Lock along with the Ram Box feature?  If so I might be in for another Dodge Ram.  I've been running a Ram 1500 since late 2010.  It's getting time to get into something new.  

If it's a $67K ram or a 75K F-250 though - it'll be a F-250.  One of the benefits of Ram in the past (2010) was that it was relatively affordable for what you got.  

Appears that a crew hit a couple streets in the neighborhood.  At least 2 cars stolen, numerous reports of vehicles being sacked.  Both our cars were outside of the garage unfortunately, and both got hit, but they made off with my truck. Seal on the wives passenger side door is all jacked up. The hood is behind a gate with cameras at the entrance,  and many of my neighbors have video set ups, so I think it's just a matter of searching archives before somebody finds something on tape. Some motherfucker either has huge fucking balls, shit for brains, or likely some combination of both.  Wish they would have taken the wifes car, we need to replace that thing anyways, but my truck had many years of good life left in it.   

Are you in Austin? What area?

Are you in Austin? What area?

On 3/29/2018 at 8:32 AM, Yarbr said:

I have a 14 ecoboost. I've read about that timing chain rattle on f150 forum, thank goodness it hasn't happened to mine yet.  I drilled the hole at about 50K and have a changed the plugs a couple times, really makes a difference.  I don't know if you're in to this sort of thing, but at 100K I installed a 5 start tune and man it hauls ass (great throttle response and shift points) and pulls really well, not that it didn't already, but it is a noticeable difference.

Got the timing chain on mine replaced at about 40K.  They wanted to hear it themselves and It happened every day from cold start but they were unable to reproduce in a week.  I got it on video first day back.  

If you get it, record it.  Otherwise they will waste your time.

On 3/25/2018 at 7:46 PM, deadshank said:

Switching back to Ford from RAM.  Just ordered 2019 F350, 6.7L diesel, 4 door, 4x4, Super Lariat package, rigged for towing. 

Will put leveling kit on front and load leveler airbags in back.  Will pull the wheels and tires and go with Nitto and some not so garish after market rims.

I enjoyed the RAM for the Cummins diesel and the Megacab but the experiment is over. Also going back to white. The black RAM was sharp looking but hell to keep halfway clean looking.  Every trip to deer lease made the truck look like hell. 

An particular reason you're going back to Ford?  I'm a ford guy myself and looking at getting a f250 diesel later this year.

7 hours ago, AngryBevo said:

An particular reason you're going back to Ford?  I'm a ford guy myself and looking at getting a f250 diesel later this year.

I’m letting go of a 2012. I liked the Cummins 6.7L and the transmission for towing.  I really liked the megacab too and the body styling The rest of truck is just OK.  It’s not bad just not real crazy about it.  

The Fords I’ve had before just overall suited me a little better.