Truck Nuts

BurntOrange&White

16 hours ago, Cajun said:

That’s pretty good if those numbers are anywhere near accurate for an avg Joe…

which you know they aren’t 

My experience is that Toyota is pretty much on the money with their EPA estimates.  Every Toyota I've ever owned got the advertised mileage.  Other auto makers, not so much.  

TFL took a Tundra and got 19.9 mpg on a tank:

https://tfltruck.com/2021/10/video-2022-toyota-tundra-i-get-these-real-world-0-60-mph-and-road-trip-mpg-numbers/

5 hours ago, Johnny Chimpo said:

My average mpg for 7500 miles of mixed driving on my 2020 ecoboost is 17.3. 

24000 miles of mixed city, highway, and towing on my 2020 at a 13.6 average. Above 75 the Eco is not great on mileage, above 80 and you can just watch the gas gauge drop. The extended range tank is a must and makes the long highway trips go easier.

Tires make a huge difference. Moving from the stock tires to an aftermarket larger AT dropped it about 2-2.5 MPG right off the bat.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

My truck has been totaled, any tips or suggestions about wrapping that up ? I have gap insurance 

im going to round up reciepts for the after market mods i put into it and see what they say

For 7k in damage? Lol  

I’d say that first adjuster must not have understood the assignment. 

Edited by fattyflattie

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In case you haven't heard,  Ram finally issued a recall for 2019-2020 Ram 2500/3500/4500 diesel trucks for replacement of the crappy CP4 injection pump.  Go to https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehicle/recalls/search.html and put in your VIN to see if your truck is affected. 

This thread from HDRams forum has a bunch of info from Mopar and NHTSA.

• Rage+1 1

On 12/3/2021 at 12:45 PM, Hawndoh said:

Anyone have thoughts or opinions regarding truck bed racks that are easily removed?

I eventually want a taller rack so I can haul a kayak while towing a travel trailer. But I want to be able to relatively easily remove it and store it away when not needed.

I had a Thule XSporter on 2 different F150s for a total of about 10 years. Loved it. The crossbars raise/lower and are easily removable. The newer model has a dial adjustment that makes the process even easier than the older latching-style model I had. I miss that rack but it wouldn't fit the smaller bed I have now on my Gladiator.

thule1.jpg

thule2.jpg

Edited by smuggs
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 11/19/2021 at 5:53 PM, bigshark88 said:

Boiling peanuts this past Sunday trying to recover from the Kansas loss and I took this tailgate pic of morale rebound around 2pm. Figured Truck Nuts was the appropriate sub forum for sharing. 2018 Tundra. Runs like a sewing machine. e38c65b6c869313d12dda8af9697e997.jpg

2019 Tundra TRD.  Big, loud, and thirsty and absolutely maintenance free so far aside from some chuckle-fuck stealing my catalytic converter in Houston.

Did sound glorious minus the cat, but without back pressure, couldn't go very fast 

On 11/19/2021 at 5:53 PM, bigshark88 said:

Boiling peanuts this past Sunday trying to recover from the Kansas loss and I took this tailgate pic of morale rebound around 2pm. Figured Truck Nuts was the appropriate sub forum for sharing. 2018 Tundra. Runs like a sewing machine. e38c65b6c869313d12dda8af9697e997.jpg

This just looks like a good time. I am a fan of cheap beer, good whiskey and good snuff. We should party the next time Texas plays Kansas. 

• Like 1

On 10/6/2021 at 10:11 AM, CooterBrown said:

Just picked up this sexy beast.

331f75b6397c40b52b078c3d0a920ce5.jpg

How are you liking it 2 months in, Cooter? Biggest complaints? Best things you like about it? Have you taken long highway trips with the soft top?

I ask because I committed to buy a Sasquatch Outer Banks this week. Yes, paying over MSRP as I didn’t order one, but it is so perfect for what I want in a new rig that I jumped at it. I drove an ‘89 Bronco in high school that had the top off a lot.

I’m getting $20k trade-in for my 2013 Tahoe with 83,000 miles. I couldn’t turn it down. I figure even paying over MSRP that I can do quite well if I decide I want out of it. It’s also in a color that was already discontinued for 22. 

• Hook 'Em 1

How are you liking it 2 months in, Cooter? Biggest complaints? Best things you like about it? Have you taken long highway trips with the soft top?
I ask because I committed to buy a Sasquatch Outer Banks this week. Yes, paying over MSRP as I didn’t order one, but it is so perfect for what I want in a new rig that I jumped at it. I drove an ‘89 Bronco in high school that had the top off a lot.
I’m getting $20k trade-in for my 2013 Tahoe with 83,000 miles. I couldn’t turn it down. I figure even paying over MSRP that I can do quite well if I decide I want out of it. It’s also in a color that was already discontinued for 22. 

I absolutely love it.

Only have minor complaints like no AC vents in the back. I don’t like the auto cutoff engine at stops to increase gas mileage. You can turn it off but it doesn’t stay off for when you drive the next time. I’ll probably get used to it eventually. Probably my biggest complaint is that the speakers SUCK. I have the LUX package with the premium B&O sound system and I’m surprised they put their name on it. Turned up to about 25% volume with all the settings defaulted to the middle setting, the subwoofer rattles like a tin can. Just comically bad speakers.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Went and looked at the new Tundra in person, damn does it look good. Not much inventory and the one I looked at was 1794 which I don't need all those luxury bells and whistles.

I would love a new Tundra. However - my 2017 is paid off and only has 68,000 miles. I do not see a new truck in my future for a long, long time. Maybe I’ll upgrade the sound system. What’s good now days? Alpine? Kenwood?
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

I would love a new Tundra. However - my 2017 is paid off and only has 68,000 miles. I do not see a new truck in my future for a long, long time. Maybe I’ll upgrade the sound system. What’s good now days? Alpine? Kenwood?

Go alpine for nostalgia. 

Jumped in the fo', hit the juice on my ride
I got front and back and side to side
Then I let the Alpine play
Bumpin' new shit by N.W.A
It was "Gangsta Gangsta" at the top of the list
Then I played my old shit, it went somethin' like this
Cruisin' down the street in my six-fo'
Jockin' the bitches, slappin' the hoes

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I absolutely love it.

Only have minor complaints like no AC vents in the back. I don’t like the auto cutoff engine at stops to increase gas mileage. You can turn it off but it doesn’t stay off for when you drive the next time. I’ll probably get used to it eventually. Probably my biggest complaint is that the speakers SUCK. I have the LUX package with the premium B&O sound system and I’m surprised they put their name on it. Turned up to about 25% volume with all the settings defaulted to the middle setting, the subwoofer rattles like a tin can. Just comically bad speakers.

Have a look into ForScan. You can disable the Auto start/stop for good, with just a laptop and some free software. Just need the cable to connect to the truck. You can do a ton of other stuff as well. my 2016 F150 doesn't have it, but I have disabled it on 3 other family members F150's.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

Have a look into ForScan. You can disable the Auto start/stop for good, with just a laptop and some free software. Just need the cable to connect to the truck. You can do a ton of other stuff as well. my 2016 F150 doesn't have it, but I have disabled it on 3 other family members F150's.

The start/stop sensor for my Gladiator is mounted front and center right on top of the radiator when you pop the hood. You can easily pull the connector off the bottom and it will disable, but it will throw a check engine light on your dash. After driving it for a year I've just gotten used to pushing the button to disable.

jl-wrangler-hood-sensor-ess-auto-start-s

Jeep-ESS-Switch-Disconnect.jpg

35 minutes ago, smuggs said:

The start/stop sensor for my Gladiator is mounted front and center right on top of the radiator when you pop the hood. You can easily pull the connector off the bottom and it will disable, but it will throw a check engine light on your dash. After driving it for a year I've just gotten used to pushing the button to disable.

jl-wrangler-hood-sensor-ess-auto-start-s

Jeep-ESS-Switch-Disconnect.jpg

Forscan disables it via the computer. No CEL. Completely reversible. 

2 hours ago, UnivTex34 said:

I have read that you can also unlock all the different offroad modes using ForScan. No idea what would happen though if you unlock Rock Crawl but your model doesn't have the sway bar disconnect.

13 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I have read that you can also unlock all the different offroad modes using ForScan. No idea what would happen though if you unlock Rock Crawl but your model doesn't have the sway bar disconnect.

Yeah, as I said, you can do a lot. I have a 2016 F150 4x4, and added the Hill control descent button on the dash for like $12, then enabled it in Forscan, and it works just like I have an FX4. So you may be able to add the disconnect later as parts become available, then unlock in via the computer via Forscan. I know lots of folks on the F150 forums have added things that came on much higher trim models by adding the parts, and telling the computer to enable.

whole lot of cool stuff it allows you to customize.

Perhaps this is not the right thread for this, but the more I poke around the more I’m realizing that $20k for my Tahoe is really light on the trade-in offer from the dealer I’m getting my Bronco through. How would y’all go about finding a private buyer? I have various “offers” from KBB, Autortrader, Carvana, Texas Direct Auto and they are all appreciably higher than $20k. Autotrader puts the retail value just south of $30k. I’d like to find a private buyer - is my best bet to put a detailed online ad in Autotrader? Thanks in advance. 

On 12/8/2021 at 10:26 AM, BabaYaga said:

Go big

desert-chase-tundra-sema-2021-hi-res-17.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSEjVgOLfMG8nG0Xxb2hD7

Damn that's nasty. I've been looking at the new AT4's and the Tundras, have starting leaning towards the GMC's but fuck if that doesn't look right. Wish they would have kept a V8 option. 

My 2010 Tundra is probably never going to die. It's been ridden rough, but it's light on miles ~85k and mechanically it runs like a fucking top.  Thinking of just parking it out at the lease so I can bounce it around out there with no fucks given about a new whip. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Damn that's nasty. I've been looking at the new AT4's and the Tundras, have starting leaning towards the GMC's but fuck if that doesn't look right. Wish they would have kept a V8 option. 

My 2010 Tundra is probably never going to die. It's been ridden rough, but it's light on miles ~85k and mechanically it runs like a fucking top.  Thinking of just parking it out at the lease so I can bounce it around out there with no fucks given about a new whip. 

2019 tundra TRD.  My prior ford FX4 ecoboost went tits up around 149k and I had to make the switch.  I just want ruthless efficiency on a truck I can give my 15yr old to take to college.  I might get a few lights and better tires than the stock OEM Michelin options.  But it’s basically ready made to hand off.  

• Like 2

2019 tundra TRD.  My prior ford FX4 ecoboost went tits up around 149k and I had to make the switch.  I just want ruthless efficiency on a truck I can give my 15yr old to take to college.  I might get a few lights and better tires than the stock OEM Michelin options.  But it’s basically ready made to hand off.  
You should buy an older Tundra to send him off. Yours will be a baby in 3 years.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:
2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

You should buy an older Tundra to send him off. Yours will be a baby in 3 years.

Seriously 

On 11/26/2018 at 11:35 AM, jofus said:

the Rivian R1T all electric truck was officially revealed this morning, and is available for preorder (with $1,000 refundable deposit).  Its around the size of a honda ridgeline or chevy colorado. up to 400+ mile range, but the 200 mile battery starts at $69,000 before $7,500 rebate.

I saw a rumor of a "marathon model", which would include the big battery, but be light on upgrades.

0-60 in 3 seconds, decent offroad specs.

http://products.rivian.com/?mc_cid=ecc522b5f0&mc_eid=64622ba12f

rivian-r1t-truck-10.jpg

0060ba4355a9a8e2b593677774d36fb5.jpg

And 3 years after "leaking" drawings, the Rivian R1T is named truck of the year. 
Which is amazing, considering they have likely delivered less than a 1,000 (maybe closer to a couple of 100).
Rivian is obviously well connected to the Auto community and press. But good for them.

On 12/12/2021 at 4:14 PM, Planet Houston said:

Perhaps this is not the right thread for this, but the more I poke around the more I’m realizing that $20k for my Tahoe is really light on the trade-in offer from the dealer I’m getting my Bronco through. How would y’all go about finding a private buyer? I have various “offers” from KBB, Autortrader, Carvana, Texas Direct Auto and they are all appreciably higher than $20k. Autotrader puts the retail value just south of $30k. I’d like to find a private buyer - is my best bet to put a detailed online ad in Autotrader? Thanks in advance. 

Depending on what the difference between private buyer and Caravana/Zoom. I would take the best offer from Carvana/Zoom/Carmax and enjoy the Bronco. Trying to eek out a little extra is not worth dealing with the flakes, low ball offers, meeting at the bank to confirm the deposit clears etc. 

If you are going the private sale route list it everywhere (Autotrader, FB market place, Craigslist etc). Lots of quality pics at good angles with a good background behind the Tahoe

Edited by topochico
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Depending on what the difference between private buyer and Caravana/Zoom. I would take the best offer from Carvana/Zoom/Carmax and enjoy the Bronco. Trying to eek out a little extra is not worth dealing with the flakes, low ball offers, meeting at the bank to confirm the deposit clears etc. 

If you are going the private sale route list it everywhere (Autotrader, FB market place, Craigslist etc). Lots of quality pics at good angles with a good background behind the Tahoe

This…. How much is your time worth. Dealing with all the no shows, people trying to beat you down, people that want you to wait on their financing, etc…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...