Truck Nuts

BurntOrange&White

On 3/31/2018 at 11:32 AM, TexasHooch said:

2000 Silverado here with a quarter million miles on it- getting it's 3rd fuel pump as we speak.  I don't need (or even prefer) shiny and new but it's only a matter of time before I'm forced to upgrade.  I'd love to stick with a Chevy but here in Minneapolis, the bodies rust out long before the drivetrain fails.  Might have to switch to the aluminium F150 for that reason alone.  Anyone have issues with other corrosion on their Fords?

My construction company is 100% Ford.  Mostly 250's for field workers and 150's for office.  After about 5 years on the road, the trucks all started to rust around the upper rear wheel arches. My previous truck was a 250 and it started to rust around the rear window weatherstrip.  The steel body trucks made after 2011 appear to be holding up a little bit better when it comes to the rust in the wheel well arches.

I bought a new Expedition last year after having a pick up for about 30 years.  Decided I wanted one to haul home project materials and not destroy the interior of the new rig.

I found a 1991 F-250 Lariat with 22,000 original miles.  Truck is originally from the Pacific Northwest. It's 2 wheel drive, but only want to drive it in good weather.

I did have to put on a new set of tires since the original ones were 27 years old.

thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrin&size=150w&w=

9 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I bet you could get a few more years out of those tires

The tires were in surprisingly good condition given the truck was stored indoors in a mild climate.  I did drive it around for a few months before I purchased new tires.

Blowing a tire in a 27 year old truck with ABS on the rear brakes and no airbags would not have been a lot of fun.

1 hour ago, Tailgate Jeff said:

The tires were in surprisingly good condition given the truck was stored indoors in a mild climate.  I did drive it around for a few months before I purchased new tires.

Blowing a tire in a 27 year old truck with ABS on the rear brakes and no airbags would not have been a lot of fun.

Yeah but the bodywork you ruin is tons cheaper.

Had a 96 Powerstroke for years, that was a great truck, but we don't have to worry about rust around here.

I got a midnight edition too with some modifications. Bigger tires with a front end lift. I have some awesome step rails. PM me if you want them. I have an extra pair from the body shop as they were never ruined. I’ll sell them half off. They’re in great condition. Anyone with that year model Chevy is welcome to them.

Use the ceramic car coating if you want to keep it clean.

35 minutes ago, pacman said:

Pic isn't mine but truck is the same as mine

No complaints hauling brush at the lease or screwing the wife on the beach

38k new two years ago, 5 yrs it will be for the boy. Probably leave out the screwing his mom part.

maxresdefault.jpg

Sounds like everyone got fucked. You’re giving him a 7yr old dodge.

9 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

The TSS trim is actually a trim done by Gulf States Toyota. Usually just an SR5 with some goodies thrown on I believe.

Yeah. However, that pic is of a TRD PRO anyway. They just elected to paint the indented TRD PRO on the box in the style of the TSS. 

Yeah. However, that pic is of a TRD PRO anyway. They just elected to paint the indented TRD PRO on the box in the style of the TSS. 

Oh definitely. I was not disputing that Goofyboy’s wasn’t a Pro.

I was referring to the actual TSS that fatty was referencing, which they use SR5 models for.

Like this:

116428273.jpg

On 3/29/2018 at 1:09 PM, Yarbr said:

I'd never drive the 5.0 after owning the 3.5 ecoboost, only thing that compares is the GM 6.2.  That should piss some people off.

I'm completely opposite.  I had a 2012 3.5 ecoboost, and that soured me on the eco.  I now own a 2017 5.0, with no intentions of going back to ecoboost.  I will go diesel before I go back to ecoboost.  faster yes, but I don't drive very fast in a truck, gas mileage is negligible, turbos make the engine sound worse, there is more shit to break

17 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

Very similar in looks and engine. TRD Pro has an upgraded suspension package.

Pretty different other than suspension. Skid plates. Dual exhaust. Different grille. Interior very different (leather). TRD exclusive shifter and bits. It’s not just suspension, albeit that’s a HUGE difference.

TSS is strictly an “appearance” package. 

I got the tss and put the trd grille on it and the shift knob. Got leather added to the deal I negotiated, didn’t need fancy suspension.

Only couple hundred bucks to make it look similar .

TSS does have a skid plate, but not as heavy duty as the pro.

e0ad67dcfe52b36dd610324b495d9620.jpg

36 minutes ago, Quagmire said:

I got the tss and put the trd grille on it and the shift knob. Got leather added to the deal I negotiated, didn’t need fancy suspension.

Not trying to quibble, but that simply isn’t the way the TSS package comes stock. It’s a few largely cosmetic bullshit items that most people replace or remove anyway. You are essentially paying for those wheels and tires. Unless you opted for the TRD off-road package. Not to be confused with the TRD PRO model, you can add that “enhanced” package or the TSS package. So your skid plate was almost certainly dealer installed if you have one. 

Summary:

TSS - Truck Sport Series Off-Road Special Edition 20" Milled Matte Black Wheels and All-Terrain Tire Upgrade (replaces factory wheels and tires), 5" Black Oval Step Tube, Black Exhaust Tip, All-weather liners, TSS Off-Road Bed Decal, Matte Black badge overlays

TRD OFF-ROAD PACKAGE Upgrades standard wheels to 18-in. split 5-spoke TRD Off-Road Package alloy wheels with black accents and MichelinLTX A/T2 P275/65R18 tires. Includes trail-tuned Bilstein® shockabsorbers, rear-side privacy glass, engine skid plate, fuel tank skid plate, front tow hooks on 4x2, and bedside TRD Off-Road decal

Edited by Bert Orange

What tires are you running and what size are the wheels?? I need something more aggressive, just can’t decide on the size. I do want to keep my TRD wheels.

Not trying to quibble, but that simply isn’t the way the TSS package comes stock. It’s a few largely cosmetic bullshit items that most people replace or remove anyway. You are essentially paying for those wheels and tires. Unless you opted for the TRD off-road package. Not to be confused with the TRD PRO model, you can add that “enhanced” package or the TSS package. So your skid plate was almost certainly dealer installed if you have one.  Summary:TSS - Truck Sport Series Off-Road Special Edition 20" Milled Matte Black Wheels and All-Terrain Tire Upgrade (replaces factory wheels and tires), 5" Black Oval Step Tube, Black Exhaust Tip, All-weather liners, TSS Off-Road Bed Decal, Matte Black badge overlays

TRD OFF-ROAD PACKAGE Upgrades standard wheels to 18-in. split 5-spoke TRD Off-Road Package alloy wheels with black accents and MichelinLTX A/T2 P275/65R18 tires. Includes trail-tuned Bilstein shockabsorbers, rear-side privacy glass, engine skid plate, fuel tank skid plate, front tow hooks on 4x2, and bedside TRD Off-Road decal

Not sure what you are debating ? Didn’t say it came with anything you didn’t list , and I added the others myself.

Mine is 4x4 so maybe that’s why it has the skid plate then, it’s not listed as an installed option on the window sticker.

I do like the cement color they have, but back then it was only on the pro.

What tires are you running and what size are the wheels?? I need something more aggressive, just can’t decide on the size. I do want to keep my TRD wheels.

They are 285/55 BFG Ko2 All terrain. 20 inch rims

Had a set of the KO’s on my previous tundra and got 65k out of them.

I’ll probably go a bit bigger when they wear out. If you don’t care about 20” rims I might opt for the 18”s as the tires are much cheaper .

Going to look at 2018 Tundra's this afternoon.  The Tundra's look fresh to me, but it dawns on me that the design is like a decade old at this point with one refresh along the way. 

I like that blacked out look, and the white on black look.

I don't think that they did a TRD Pro for 2018, it appears they skipped this year? 

Anyone know when Toyota is planning to finally refresh the Tundra?  I'm going to be in the market probably later this year or early next to replace my 14 year old Z71.  I'd like to go with a Tundra this time but it has gotten so long in the tooth and it would kind of suck to get a truck that is instantly outdated in a year or 2.

I will also take a hard look at Chevy and Ford, but I bought my first Ford (mustang) a couple years ago and the experience has been a bit off-putting.

47 minutes ago, KuЯdt said:

Anyone know when Toyota is planning to finally refresh the Tundra?  I'm going to be in the market probably later this year or early next to replace my 14 year old Z71.  I'd like to go with a Tundra this time but it has gotten so long in the tooth and it would kind of suck to get a truck that is instantly outdated in a year or 2.

I will also take a hard look at Chevy and Ford, but I bought my first Ford (mustang) a couple years ago and the experience has been a bit off-putting.

Supposed to be next year. And they said that last year. They keep selling. They keep punting. My bet, it’s a 2020 model release spring next year. 

I’d hate to see a redesign of the 4Runner anytime soon. It’s about the only midsize suv left that doesn’t look like it’s made solely for soccer moms and trips to HEB. 

It is, it’s just been around for 8 going on 9 years now. I guess if you take 10 as the standard for that (Jeep JK, 3rd gen Tacoma) it makes sense, although the 4th gen Runner was only made for 6 years.

Holy hell, I’ve had a vibration in my steering for the last couple of months. Took it in and had the tire guy check the tires and suspension and nothing. Dealership looked at it and nothing, Figured out this morning that the stupid lane warning was turned on and no one noticed it. It vibrates whenever you get close to a line and it was doing it in corners like there was stress on something in the steering.

• Haha 1

after 6 years of use with my 2012 F-150 FX4 I am finally having to replace the brakes.   Driving 2222 multiple times a day finally did them in.

as far as the ecoboost argument goes...I am a fan of mine.  Got my truck brand new (6 miles on the odo) and babied the engine/transmission to begin with and it's never had any issues.  I do wish I would have changed the torque so the tires don't chirp so easily.

After an 18 month Yukon experiment, and with expressed  permission from our accountant, I got back in a truck before New Year's. This one was a division manager's driver at a local dealership...had 600 miles & he had it tricked exactly as I would have.

‘18 2500 HD

Retrax cover...

Retrax

Fabtech leveling and bigger A/T's

Fabtech leveling

Edited by noharleyyet
sp
  • Like 2

Looking at buying a 2014 f150 supercrew fx4 with just under 100k. Asking price is only 22,500, might offer 20 even and see what he says. 

Seems like good value even with the higher mileage. Thoughts?

ive driven 8000 miles total in the last 3 years, so the mileage would normalize over the next few years if I bought it. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto