Truck Nuts

BurntOrange&White

45 minutes ago, Yarbr said:

Yea, that's all highway. I know because I have the same truck with 105k. To be honest, I didn't think I could get that much if I tried to sell. If it has all the bells and whistles, which mine doesn't, 20 sounds fair.

Yeah it’s got everything. Would rather not have the sunroof but it’s there. 

Trucks up here are a little higher priced than in Texas, I’m seeing. Kbb and nada put it at 22-26.  

Edited by Pato del Muerto

I had avoided this thread on shaggy and here because I thought it was just about those stupid balls that people put on their hitches. 

I just bit the bullet and bought a 2015 Silverado 1500 Texas Edition Crew Cab RWD w/ 59,700 miles. It's that real white color, not the off-white.

No real blemishes other than one rim that has the clear coat peeling off.  I'm going to get it refinished soon.  Anyone know a good place in the Austin area?  AWRS of Austin quoted me $155.

Truck passed a pre-purchase inspection by a mobile inspector. ASE certified, 600pt inspection.

The PO had tinted the back 3 windows with almost limo tint.  Couldn't see out the back even in the daytime. The dealership got it re-tinted.  Trying stock in the back and 35% in the front. We'll see how it looks.  I also got TNT in New Braunfels to spray my bed with their Line-X alternative. $499 with UV protection & lifetime warranty if it starts peeling up, which it shouldn't.

Ordered some Rough Country plastic floor liners. I had WeatherTech in my last truck, and they frustrate the hell out of me, so I'm trying a different brand (cheaper too). Got a custom fit sun shade for the windshield. Never had one before, but I want to keep this dash in good shape.

I'm going to be upgrading the speakers to some Infinity Reference 6.5". Will probably reuse my Alpine 10" subs under the back seat and 980w amp. That combo is old as hell, but still bumps. I have another new 4-channel amp I'll try to use for the door speakers. Not sure what to do with the dash tweeters. Maybe let the head unit power them?

I pick up the truck today. I'm driving it to Galveston this weekend. I'm pretty excited.

I'm keeping my 2002 Silverado LS Extended Cab. It was the first car/truck I bought with my own money. I've had it since 2005. Bought it with about 67,000 miles on it, and it has about 228,000 now. I've had the transmission rebuilt, and replaced the water pump, fuel sending unit, ignition coils, & intake gasket. The windshield wiper motor, window motors, and driver's side arm rest/handle all need to be replaced/fixed. Front end is a little jacked from a stupid deer.  Right front fender a little bent. Bumpers both dented/bent. Had to replace the grille and headlights. But they don't fit right because the supports are likely bent from the deer.

Even so, I couldn't sell it. Not yet anyway. Love that old truck. Just put a new set of tires on it, actually.

Edited by Longhorn Al
  • Like 2

Ok f150 people. Truck I’m picking up tomorrow, somewhat disappointingly, has an open rear diff. I read that the traction control is supposed to mimic a LSD by applying brakes on a slipping wheel, but I’ve also read that it’s not set up to be a quick reacting system and it also kills throttle response  

I wont be really stressing the system but there will be lots of snow and ice driving, and occasional trail driving. 

Any reason to plan on throwing a mechanical LSD in there to help out?  It is a 4x4 but as far as I can tell I can’t lock front, rear, or center. 

8 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Ok f150 people. Truck I’m picking up tomorrow, somewhat disappointingly, has an open rear diff. I read that the traction control is supposed to mimic a LSD by applying brakes on a slipping wheel, but I’ve also read that it’s not set up to be a quick reacting system and it also kills throttle response  

I wont be really stressing the system but there will be lots of snow and ice driving, and occasional trail driving. 

Any reason to plan on throwing a mechanical LSD in there to help out?  It is a 4x4 but as far as I can tell I can’t lock front, rear, or center. 

What year/trim level? The traction control kind of acts like LS by applying brake to the free spinning wheel so the other engages.  Ford and probably others has an electronic spin control or something like that that works the same as traction control without losing as much power.

54 minutes ago, Yarbr said:

What year/trim level? The traction control kind of acts like LS by applying brake to the free spinning wheel so the other engages.  Ford and probably others has an electronic spin control or something like that that works the same as traction control without losing as much power.

2013 lariat w 3.55 rear. 

After an 18 month Yukon experiment, and with expressed  permission from our accountant, I got back in a truck before New Year's. This one was a division manager's driver at a local dealership...had 600 miles & he had it tricked exactly as I would have.
27498291718_85f001d6bf_b.jpg
Retrax cover...
26498148687_aa19fc01a3_b.jpg
Fabtech leveling and bigger A/T's
41326535472_230ff5e96e_b.jpg

Tell me about the Yukon experience. Benefits? Downsides?

I have been in a truck for 15 years. Always toy with the idea of a Yukon. I do a lot hunting and fishing but unfortunately I spend more time cruising around town to the office and to the courthouse. Need to parallel park sometimes. My truck bed is empty 90%+ days.

I have a small four wheeler trailer I could hook up for lumber or other, similar hauling duties. I could purchase a hitch receiver basket for dead whitetail.

Seems like I could get away with a full size SUV and enjoy more luxury features / easier handling in tight spots.

12 minutes ago, Yarbr said:

I think the electronic brake system is standard on 2011 and up. It acts like lsd, but uses the brakes instead. I think it's for stability control so I don't know is it works the same way say on a slippery boat ramp.

Yeah, I’ve just read that some ford owners don’t like the way that system works, and wish a traditional mechanical LSD was still more common. Some have even put one in because it engages before the traction control does. Others now refuse to buy one without the rear locker. 

I’m hoping I’ll be fine, won’t be hauling on snow and when I’m pulling the camper it should be in decent conditions. Got plenty of time to figure it out. 

20 minutes ago, bigshark88 said:

Tell me about the Yukon experience. Benefits? Downsides?

I have been in a truck for 15 years. Always toy with the idea of a Yukon. I do a lot hunting and fishing but unfortunately I spend more time cruising around town to the office and to the courthouse. Need to parallel park sometimes. My truck bed is empty 90%+ days.

I have a small four wheeler trailer I could hook up for lumber or other, similar hauling duties. I could purchase a hitch receiver basket for dead whitetail.

Seems like I could get away with a full size SUV and enjoy more luxury features / easier handling in tight spots.

You are exactly where I was a couple years ago when I ordered the Yukon Denali. Don't get me wrong, I loved that that thing....strong engine with surprising fuel stats, nimble in  traffic, and comfortable as hell...great for road trips with missus harley. And I also hunt, thus, as you stated, the trailer for the UTV/ATV.(which I still need)..etc. 

...but I missed the bed, and being in the construction biz, the 2500 just made more sense. Maybe down the road I'll talk my wife out of a car and in to another Yukon.

Edited by noharleyyet
sp

9 hours ago, noharleyyet said:

You are exactly where I was a couple years ago when I ordered the Yukon Denali. Don't get me wrong, I loved that that thing....strong engine with surprising fuel stats, nimble in  traffic, and comfortable as hell...great for road trips with missus harley. And I also hunt, thus, as you stated, the trailer for the UTV/ATV.(which I still need)..etc. 

...but I missed the bed, and being in the construction biz, the 2500 just made more sense. Maybe down the road I'll talk my wife out of a car and in to another Yukon.

Team whynotboth.gif

I cant give up the 3/4-ton. Use wife's Denali as I can. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Horns99 said:

If it's 4x4 - you pull the selector knob out & that locks the rear diff. Don't know about 2 wheel drives.

They don’t all have the e lock. This one doesn’t. I believe they do sell 2wd with the locker.  The selector only has the lock function and no 4a 4h 4l

Edited by Pato del Muerto

The first diesel version of the Ford F-150 will be rated at 30 mpg in highway driving, making it the most fuel-efficient full-size pickup on the market when it hits showrooms next month.

Ford Motor Co. had targeted 30 mpg earlier this year and announced the official EPA estimates for the pickup Thursday. It will labeled as 22 mpg in city driving and 25 mpg combined.

"Even a few years ago, customers wouldn't have imagined an EPA-estimated rating of 30 mpg highway would be possible in a full-size pickup, but our team of crazy-smart engineers rose to the challenge," Hau Thai-Tang, Ford's executive vice president for product development and purchasing, said in a statement.

The 3.0-liter Power Stroke engine is part of the F-150's midcycle freshening. It's meant to appeal to customers who tow and haul more than usual.

The diesel engine will have 250 hp and 440 pound-feet of torque, besting the only other diesel offering in the full-size segment, the Ram 1500. It also will have best-in-class payload capacity among diesel offerings: 2,020 pounds for XL and XLT fleet applications and 1,940 pounds for retail applications.

It can tow up to 11,400 pounds, which also is best among full-size diesel light-duty pickups.

The diesel engine will be mated to Ford's 10-speed transmission, which was introduced on the 2017 F-150.

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/ford-f-150-diesel-hits-30-mpg-highway#ixzz5DE4VgCtg

Edited by PittsburghTiger

42 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Just tripped the work commute in the truck. 3.5 miles at 19.7 mpg.  Guess I won’t be filling up too often. 

If you are talking about the F-150 3.5 I have that engine as well and I get good, not great mileage. On the highway I get about 22.5 mpg, but it gets a bit better on the flats, here it's mountainous. I have a friend with the 2.7 and he said he gets about 25-26 mpg on the highway. Which is pretty good.

7 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

If you are talking about the F-150 3.5 I have that engine as well and I get good, not great mileage. On the highway I get about 22.5 mpg, but it gets a bit better on the flats, here it's mountainous. I have a friend with the 2.7 and he said he gets about 25-26 mpg on the highway. Which is pretty good.

The ecoboost seem to be really volatile in their mpg.  I have the 2.7 and no way I am seeing 25-26 unless it's 55mph.  Not that I have any regrets but to me you have to take the mpg reports with an even bigger grain of salt than usual. 

3.5 Turbo gets good mileage if you stay out of boost.  Boost usually kicks in at about 1700 RPM.  I have the 2013 with 3.31 gears and for me the switch into boost on highway is between 55 and 65 depending on grade and headwind.  The torque is unbelievable though.  

4 hours ago, Brew said:

Keep highway tires on your truck if you want to keep decent mileage. Changing over to AT’s made a significant difference in my mileage.

I leveled my truck and put on 33" at tires and went from 18 to 16 highway at 75 to 80 mph as compared to stock. The guy getting in the 20s must be going 65, which would get me shot on my commute.

1 hour ago, Yarbr said:

I leveled my truck and put on 33" at tires and went from 18 to 16 highway at 75 to 80 mph as compared to stock. The guy getting in the 20s must be going 65, which would get me shot on my commute.

I’m at 14.8 with an aggressive AT. I ran back and forth to the beach the week I bought it and got 20 round trip running 75-80. The exact same trip now is around 15 or so.

7 hours ago, Brew said:

I’m at 14.8 with an aggressive AT. I ran back and forth to the beach the week I bought it and got 20 round trip running 75-80. The exact same trip now is around 15 or so.

Could be the wind or your speed. You’d be surprised how much your mileage improves if you go 70 instead of 75. Or I guess it could be the tires. I’ve never lost mileage with stock size AT tires. 

9 hours ago, Brew said:

That's a big hit, did you go up a size? Before I tuned and recalibrated the tire size in the system my truck was reading 14.5, after I updated the size I went up to 16. The last 500 miles I'm reading 16.9, which I think is because it hasn't been as windy this past week and possibly they switched from winter to summer blend gas (total wag). My tires weigh 61 lbs a piece, 3.5 eco.

Edited by Yarbr

I went up in size and leveled it but nothing drastic, so calibration is probably part of it. However, I can tell a significant difference in just the rolling resistance of the tires though compared to the stock highway tires which is one of the main issues affecting mileage. I have a road trip next week, so I may baby it just to see what the max mileage is

On the diesel front, the same diesel is used in the new Range Rovers and we get close to 30 with it so I may be looking at it in the F150. In the RR you would never know you were driving a diesel other than on cold starts and then it’s all diesel.

6 hours ago, Longhorn Al said:

I'm getting an average of about 18.7 with my Silverado since buying it.  That's highway and city.  And that's with the 5.3 with the V4 eco crap.

The eco crap is no joke though. My wife's Yukon XL gets 22-24 on the highway, city driving that heavy bitch (truck, not wife) gets terrible miliage, like 14 at most.

I went up in size and leveled it but nothing drastic, so calibration is probably part of it. However, I can tell a significant difference in just the rolling resistance of the tires though compared to the stock highway tires which is one of the main issues affecting mileage. I have a road trip next week, so I may baby it just to see what the max mileage is
On the diesel front, the same diesel is used in the new Range Rovers and we get close to 30 with it so I may be looking at it in the F150. In the RR you would never know you were driving a diesel other than on cold starts and then it’s all diesel.

EPA numbers on the diesel F-150 are 22/30. Pretty awesome.

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody have a fix for the Chevy Lean?  My 2002 Silverado leans to the drivers side due to years of both the driver and gas tank being on that side.  Apparently it's a known issue.

I thought changing the leaf springs out would fix it.  I installed some Rough Country lift springs in the back, but it's still leaning.  If it's not a sprung spring, I'm at a loss.