Truck Nuts

BurntOrange&White

1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:

Yep, I think they still allow it but I would only take advantage as a last resort.  

Yeah I frequent some RV forums and from what I hear, the ones that allow it are dwindling.  Not surprisingly, it's mostly a result of a-holes parking in inconsiderate places, leaving trash, and being general nuisances.  Apparently there's an app that RVers use to determine which ones allow it so they can plot their courses.

https://www.allstays.com/apps/walmart.htm

I'd certainly never plan a trip that involved an overnight stay in a Walmart parking lot, but I suppose it's nice to know it's there as a last resort.

On 5/31/2019 at 6:52 AM, Dewey said:

I'm going to use it as an everyday driver, part of which is hauling material and tools around. I doesnt need to be super clean, but does need to look decent, no rust, or as little as possible. I can do work on it as well. Most importantly, it needs not to have any software bullshit with it.

Expensive but nice.  

https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/1972/gmc/c_k_1500/101123240

Car-101123240-5beecab57d723531a3dd4b7fa6

5 minutes ago, utee05 said:

Yeah that site has helped me fix stuff on my 72 1500. And get ideas for mods.

Been on the site for 15 years.  Best modification was a $10 headlight buzzer that goes between two fuses and lets me know when I've left the headlights on - so many dead batteries before.

Been on the site for 15 years.  Best modification was a $10 headlight buzzer that goes between two fuses and lets me know when I've left the headlights on - so many dead batteries before.

Haven’t done that one. Sounds handy. Did the headlight relay and HEI mod. Also upgraded the wiring since it was looking all pieced together with electrical tape. Found the horn the PO added was causing a battery drain and in one incident killed my fusible link. Luckily it was only that and not anything else that needed replacing.

Bought a new truck tonight. I fucking hate dealing with the process. Those people are worse than a pack of aggies talking about sec mixed with okie meth houses. In the end I got what I felt was a fair enough deal. Glad the fuckery is over. Will post pics once the sun comes up.

2 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Went gas since max I tow is around 8500 lbs and didnt want to deal with the issues that have cropped up on some coworkers diesels. After 8 years it is nice to finally have a new ride.336860057eb496acf58428ae4102f97f.jpg

Nice ride looks great!

And my F150 gasser with max towing package is rated up to 11,500 lbs, plus it feels amazing pulling as well.  Although it certainly doesn't get the same mileage a diesel will with similar loads.

No the mileage will be shit in this  F250 with 6.2 gasser, but it is something I can deal with. I have towed my RV with essentially this same truck through the hill country (went back roads from Buda out to Junction area after a rv recall) and it got around 8 mpg. If I get out on flatter roads and less start stop it will certainly go up. I can trade that mileage loss for the ability to understand how to work on the motor as opposed to a diesel I know nothing about.  The 33' RV trailer also doesn't feel like it is driving you like it did in my F150.

Edited by HOOKEM4

2 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

No the mileage will be shit in this  F250 with 6.2 gasser, but it is something I can deal with. I have towed my RV with essentially this same truck through the hill country (went back roads from Buda out to Junction area after a rv recall) and it got around 8 mpg. If I get out on flatter roads and less start stop it will certainly go up. I can trade that mileage loss for the ability to understand how to work on the motor as opposed to a diesel I know nothing about.  The 33' RV trailer also doesn't feel like it is driving you like it did in my F150.

Man, I love the way my F150 tows my 32' RV trailer.  Dry weight is 6500 lbs, I've probably had it loaded up to around 8000-8100 lbs, and never once felt like it was pushing me around.

Now, pulling that same trailer behind my Tahoe was a very different feeling.  And it was mostly unloaded at the time.

18 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Man, I love the way my F150 tows my 32' RV trailer.  Dry weight is 6500 lbs, I've probably had it loaded up to around 8000-8100 lbs, and never once felt like it was pushing me around.

Now, pulling that same trailer behind my Tahoe was a very different feeling.  And it was mostly unloaded at the time.

Wierd. I had a 150 screw with 6.5' bed and max tow package and my trailer made for some white knuckle driving. Even have one of those new fangled hitches with the stabilizers. Idk. Either way I am happy with the upgrade. 

1 hour ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Wierd. I had a 150 screw with 6.5' bed and max tow package and my trailer made for some white knuckle driving. Even have one of those new fangled hitches with the stabilizers. Idk. Either way I am happy with the upgrade. 

Yeah, I definitely advise using weight-distributing hitch and anti-sway control on any trailer over maybe 4,000 lbs.  But that's true of any tow vehicle, including F250s and F350s.  

Now, my old Airstream that was 3800 lbs dry, I could easily pull that using the Tahoe with no weight distribution or sway control.  But Airstreams just tow much better, anyway.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2019 at 7:27 PM, HOOKEM4 said:

Someone recommended husky floor liners over weather tech and I tip my hat to them. They arent as rigid and fit very well. The weather techs I had in my last truck never fit right from the word go.

Yep, Husky X-act's are as you describe, and I like them better than Wathertech.   The  Husky Weatherbeater's are more similar to WT.  I put X-Act in the front and Weatherbeater in the back, cuz I like to party.

2 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Oops, I randomly looked. It's still an interesting video.

Pro tip: go to google, type site:surlyhorns.com then what you are searching for, so in this case: site:surlyhorns.com rivian

don't even bother with search on the site.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

Pro tip: go to google, type site:surlyhorns.com then what you are searching for, so in this case: site:surlyhorns.com rivian

don't even bother with search on the site.

Yup, the site search is woefully bad.

Mother f-er there is something about Ford trucks and 45k miles with me. On the way back from picking my kids up at camp and something broke in the front end or transmission. It would coast fine, but as soon as you hit the gas it sounded like the whole front end was bound up and grinding. Last two trucks it has been front driver side driveshafts, so that’s my assumption again although it was in 2WD so I’m not sure.

I have no idea why people keep buying Ford/Chevy/Ram unless they just have enough fuck-you-money to get a new one every other year before they start crapping out.  I doubt I'll ever buy anything other than another Toyota again.  My Tacoma is at 240,000 miles and is on it's 3rd set of brake pads and it's 2nd battery.  Other than oil/fluid changes, that's it.  Never had a hint of engine or drivetrain trouble.   Sometimes I do get the urge for the newest body styles but I always come back to the feeling that I'm wasting money if I start looking for anything else before I hit 300,000 miles.

• Like 1

I have no idea why people keep buying Ford/Chevy/Ram unless they just have enough fuck-you-money to get a new one every other year before they start crapping out.  I doubt I'll ever buy anything other than another Toyota again.  My Tacoma is at 240,000 miles and is on it's 3rd set of brake pads and it's 2nd battery.  Other than oil/fluid changes, that's it.  Never had a hint of engine or drivetrain trouble.   Sometimes I do get the urge for the newest body styles but I always come back to the feeling that I'm wasting money if I start looking for anything else before I hit 300,000 miles.

My 98 f150 5.4 was at 275k miles...never had an issue with it other than regular maintenance. The biggest expense I ever made on it was getting upper control arms to get rid of suspensions squeaks (at around 200k miles). Sold it and it’s still being driven by the new owner as a daily.

4 hours ago, Your Mom said:

There are plenty of older ones on the road. I trade mine every two years though once I hit about 55k miles. I run a lot of highway miles and miles towing, so I stay in a new one and trade ins have been solid the last few times. Plus it’s deductible. It’s getting close to that time, but I think I’m going to look at F250’s this time.

4 hours ago, Your Mom said:

We had a 2003 Toyota Camry Solara that's the biggest piece of shit I've ever owned.  It made my 80s Chrysler products seem fantastic by comparison.

Conversely, I had a 95 Chevy Blazer and a 2005 Chevy Tahoe that were bulletproof.  I still own the 2005 Tahoe and the only reason it's no longer my primary vehicle is I needed more towing capacity.  The 2015 F150 I replaced it with has been fantastic.

In other words, anecdotal evidence is anecdotal and your mileage may vary, but because of that Camry Solara I'll never, EVER buy another Toyota vehicle.

On 7/14/2019 at 9:57 AM, Your Mom said:

I have no idea why people keep buying Ford/Chevy/Ram unless they just have enough fuck-you-money to get a new one every other year before they start crapping out.  I doubt I'll ever buy anything other than another Toyota again.  My Tacoma...

No ventilated seas, bro....

On 7/14/2019 at 7:57 AM, Your Mom said:

I've had pretty good luck with Ford products so far.  My '93 Ranger didn't give me any problems at all.  My '97 F-150 has about 170K miles and it's been reliable as well, though I now use it solely for camping and four-wheeling, so it doesn't get a ton of miles put on it anymore.  I've got a '15 Fusion that has been fine so far (knock on wood).

I've owned 2 rangers, 2 mustangs, and a Bronco.  All were rock-solid.  My first ranger went 285,000 (before I sold it) on a 2.3 that was abused from day 1.  That truck was always loaded down. 

The GF's Toyota was a disposable piece of shit.  I had a Honda Accord, and it was my worst car ever by a fucking mile. 

Fair enough. I grew up in F-150s. My dad went through 5 of them and we got to know our mechanic really well but he kept buying them anyway. I’m just programmed to not trust them. He’s still driving one now and loves telling me how great it is right before he lists his most recent problems with it... “but other than that it’s great!” he says. 

10 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Fair enough. I grew up in F-150s. My dad went through 5 of them and we got to know our mechanic really well but he kept buying them anyway. I’m just programmed to not trust them. He’s still driving one now and loves telling me how great it is right before he lists his most recent problems with it... “but other than that it’s great!” he says. 

Similar to my dad and GM products back in the 70's and 80's.  He went through Chevy, Buick, Oldsmobile and Pontiac models.  It didn't matter -- they all had different issues to one degree or another, but he kept buying GM for whatever reason.  Some crazy brand loyalty thing or something, I guess.  Anyway, It basically turned me off GM for a long time.  There was a time when I wouldn't even consider a GM vehicle, but now I will at least test drive and consider purchasing them depending on the model. 

Toyotas were typically very reliable back in the day.  We had a couple small cars that my mom would drive when she would ferry us kids around, and they were pretty reliable.  I think Toyota still produces reliable vehicles for the most part.  However, I know 'Yota has had its fair share of issues and recalls over the past decade or so, and my sense is that QC has slipped somewhat.  I'm probably going to buy another small truck in the next several months, so I've been researching.  The Tacomas aren't nearly as bulletproof as they once were.

Bad vacuum sensor causing the hubs to try and engage when I hit the gas. Apparently those aren’t covered under warranty. Hopefully the hubs will be covered when they inevitably break from trying to engage at speed.

On 7/14/2019 at 9:57 AM, Your Mom said:

My current 11 yo GM got its first set of brakes at 210k miles.  It is on its third set of batteries tho.  It’s all in how you treat them.  I can’t think of any of the big 4 that can’t get you to 200k easily, if not 300 if you just take care of them.  I’m coming up on almost 1mm miles in the 3 GMs I’ve owned with the worst repair being a transmission in a 1/2-ton 4x4 I got in high school (that was treated like 1 part swamp buggy and 1 part 1-ton.)It’s tranny left at 230k miles.  It’s 19 yo now and still on my parents property where it gets surf fishing and mud playing duties.  I still can’t believe that one made it 100k miles, I was a complete dick to it.  Anecdotal sure, but they are all pretty good these days. 

To answer your question, people buy them because they have bigger things to tow than a jon boat or pop up camper.  Cue the ecoboost tows one gazillion tons crowd, but 3/4 and 1-tons are irreplaceable for those that use them. 

5 hours ago, UnivTex34 said:

That's cool and there's certainly a future there.  I don't think anyone doubts the pure torque of electric vehicles.  

But I don't ever need to tow a million pounds 1,000 feet.  I need to tow 10,000 pounds for 400 miles in a day., and the same the next day, and the next.  That's the shortcoming with all-electric vehicles.  For now.

I think there's a happy medium that we're not seeing on the market, maybe it's just too expensive to be realistic.  But a well-executed hybrid seems an obvious solution for towing both large payloads and long distances.  

Edited by utee94

9 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

stopped by the ford lot yesterday to take a peek at Rangers.  35 thousand fucking dollars?   

When I bought my first Ranger, they were the cheapest vehicle on the lot.  5.800 out the fucking door.   1985.

Yeah but that market was only for Tacoma for so long, and they kept raising the price point until gm and ford finally said hey at that price we can make money, so they came back into the segment at the same pricing. 

Yeah but that market was only for Tacoma for so long, and they kept raising the price point until gm and ford finally said hey at that price we can make money, so they came back into the segment at the same pricing. 

Well l, that and the trucks aren’t bare bones like they used to be.

The weirder thing to me is an Escalade costing $90k.