Truck Nuts

BurntOrange&White

12 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

After a year in an f150 I’m already trying to figure how much longer until I can find a 17 f250 lariat with decent miles for under 30k. I’m thinking at least 2 more years. 

Why do you not like your F 150?

NM just read up thread 

Edited by TXLNGHRN10

On 7/23/2019 at 7:23 PM, Anton Chigurh said:

Well l, that and the trucks aren’t bare bones like they used to be.

The weirder thing to me is an Escalade costing $90k.

That's very true on the bare bones.  My first ranger had a heater.  Rubber floor mats.  Crank windows.   No radio at all.  No A/C.  No power anything.   4 banger and a 5 speed with steel wheels.  

I still believe that there is a market for such a vehicle. 

On 7/28/2019 at 6:28 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

So I just pulled a ~4K lb load over a mountain pass and back, signage was 7% grade.

have the 5.0 with six speed, and spent the entire time in 2nd gear at 4000 rpm other than the switchback turns, because if I let it go into third it didn’t have the guts to pull it up that hill. 

Time for a 2500/250 series. Ford just announced a 7.3 liter gas motor in their next F250 if you don’t like diesel.

25 minutes ago, Brew said:

Time for a 2500/250 series. Ford just announced a 7.3 liter gas motor in their next F250 if you don’t like diesel.

You’re right about the 250, but there’s no way I’ll be buying anywhere near new so future powertrains are of no consequence. 

What I need is for the 2017s to depreciate another $15,000, and then decide on gas vs diesel. 

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

You’re right about the 250, but there’s no way I’ll be buying anywhere near new so future powertrains are of no consequence. 

What I need is for the 2017s to depreciate another $15,000, and then decide on gas vs diesel. 

I wish they still made a shorter wheel base 250. They have all ballooned up to sizes that would even make Vic Mackey a little leery. I’m due for a trade in and need to move to a 250, but the size is a problem for it being my daily driver. I probably will put 6000 miles a year on my truck with a boat trailer behind it with several thousand being 950 mile trips. 

On 7/28/2019 at 5:28 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

So I just pulled a ~4K lb load over a mountain pass and back, signage was 7% grade.

have the 5.0 with six speed, and spent the entire time in 2nd gear at 4000 rpm other than the switchback turns, because if I let it go into third it didn’t have the guts to pull it up that hill. 

Not sure which mountain pass you drove, but altitude can seriously affect an engines power.  I had a similar issue in Colorado with an expedition towing 6000.  

Turbocharged engines work more efficiently than non-turbo, at higher altitudes.  So a turbo-diesel 250/2500 would improve towing, not just because they're geared more toward it, but also because the turbocharged engine helps out at altitude.  Similarly, the turbo-charged Ecoboost engine has done pretty well at higher altitudes, compared to non-turbo gas options.

Edited by utee94

On 7/23/2019 at 9:14 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Yeah but that market was only for Tacoma for so long, and they kept raising the price point until gm and ford finally said hey at that price we can make money, so they came back into the segment at the same pricing. 

Tacos are one of the few trucks where used models approach and in certain circumstances surpass the price of a new vehicle.  Bullet proof trucks.  That's for sure.  

On 7/28/2019 at 3:28 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Regular gas or premium?   If regular, I wonder if Premium would have helped

• 2 weeks later...

Bought the wife a jeep.  Was trying to put her in a used CR-V but she wanted a Cherokee and we got a good deal on a new one (cheaper than what we would have spent on a used one) so *shrug emoji*.  At any rate, it has Apple Carplay, and driving her car I was annoyed at my truck (2016 F150 XLT) not having it.  Did some research, apparently it is attainable by upgrading the Sync software and also switching out the USB hub (in trucks previous to 2017) in the truck with a newer one.  Upgrading Sync was a pain in the ass (had to go buy a 2.0 thumb drive explicitly for it, took about a half hour for the upgrade to complete), and getting the USB hub out was also a pain in the ass (naturally).  But I switched it out and now my truck has navigation from whichever app on my phone taking up the whole screen and it's awesome.  I expect it will make a lot of other stuff easier, although I'm annoyed that Skype and Teams are not carplay compatible.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2019 at 8:48 PM, Celery Man said:

Bought the wife a jeep.  Was trying to put her in a used CR-V but she wanted a Cherokee and we got a good deal on a new one (cheaper than what we would have spent on a used one) so *shrug emoji*.  At any rate, it has Apple Carplay, and driving her car I was annoyed at my truck (2016 F150 XLT) not having it.  Did some research, apparently it is attainable by upgrading the Sync software and also switching out the USB hub (in trucks previous to 2017) in the truck with a newer one.  Upgrading Sync was a pain in the ass (had to go buy a 2.0 thumb drive explicitly for it, took about a half hour for the upgrade to complete), and getting the USB hub out was also a pain in the ass (naturally).  But I switched it out and now my truck has navigation from whichever app on my phone taking up the whole screen and it's awesome.  I expect it will make a lot of other stuff easier, although I'm annoyed that Skype and Teams are not carplay compatible.

Cool-- where is the USB hub located?  I might consider this mod as well.  It's not a big deal to me but I do like the idea of having the navigation from the phone appearing whole screen. 

USB hub is the piece that has 2 USB ports at the bottom of the center console.  Mine has the gear stick on the steering column, so I'm not sure if it differs at all for F150s with the gear stick on the floor, but it's pretty close to the floor on mine.

This video shows swapping out the hub.  It seems that some people on the internet are able to remove the part with similar ease (a little bit of pressure with a flat head screw driver) but that was most definitely not my experience.  I ended up scratching up the plastic around that a little bit and ordered some special car interior pry tools to get it out.  Doesn't really matter since it's down by my feet but I wish I had just taken it to wherever and paid them $50 to put the part in.  This is the part that I ordered and installed - 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J9SDQPM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you do just the software update (and not replace the hub), you can still get Waze on the screen (but not Apple Maps or Google Maps) using Sync, but the UI isn't as good.  It keeps the horizontal sync ribbon along the bottom of the screen, which eats up a ton of the useful real estate for navigation.  With carplay, it uses a vertical strip on the left side for info (having the clock move is messing with me a bit) and a familiar iPhone UI for interacting with apps.  And of course Apple Maps, Google Maps, Waze, etc all work.  You do have to have the phone connected via cable.  But for me this is a pretty nice update.  I might actually start using spotify now that I can control my phone pretty well from the dash.

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Celery Man
  • Like 1

I need to spend some time on this thread but considering beginning a search for a new 1/2 ton.
I’ve been GM my whole life but my current one (2015 Sierra SLT crew cab bought used at 34,000 miles a year ago) is pissing me off. Just replaced the A/C condenser at 50k, rear end rattles and clunks when backing up and at low speeds, and steering column has a gear that’s apparently going out).
It’s a shame because I really like that body style and loved the one I had before—2014 that had no issues before it was totaled last year (not my fault).

My biggest drawback on those was the smaller rear cabin. Have a 7 and 5 yo and looking for larger cabin and can live with smaller bed if necessary. I haul stuff in the bed a reasonable amount but don’t do a ton of towing. I prefer to drive my trucks in to the ground and/or until maintenance/repairs outweigh a car payment.

Toyota’s used to be shit for gas mileage, right? Has that changed in the last year or so?
If not, I’m opening it up to Ford, GM, Ram.
Gas mileage, cabin size/comfort, and reliability (e.g. low chance of ridiculous repairs before, say, 100k) are probably my biggest asks. I’m sure they can all handle whatever tow/hauling I’d do. Any insights on the 2019s for these three are appreciated

Buying new?

Ford has the biggest cabin I think. GM backseat sucks.

Toyota’s are awful mileage wise

All have new diesels for half-Ton.

Ford smaller eco-diesel (2.7) might be a good option if your concerned about mileage

If your buying used ford v8 is bulletproof. A great engine.

Hemi is a great engine. I got around 22hwy with mine (ram 1500 4wd crew)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

12 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

I need to spend some time on this thread but considering beginning a search for a new 1/2 ton.
I’ve been GM my whole life but my current one (2015 Sierra SLT crew cab bought used at 34,000 miles a year ago) is pissing me off. Just replaced the A/C condenser at 50k, rear end rattles and clunks when backing up and at low speeds, and steering column has a gear that’s apparently going out).
It’s a shame because I really like that body style and loved the one I had before—2014 that had no issues before it was totaled last year (not my fault).

My biggest drawback on those was the smaller rear cabin. Have a 7 and 5 yo and looking for larger cabin and can live with smaller bed if necessary. I haul stuff in the bed a reasonable amount but don’t do a ton of towing. I prefer to drive my trucks in to the ground and/or until maintenance/repairs outweigh a car payment.

Toyota’s used to be shit for gas mileage, right? Has that changed in the last year or so?
If not, I’m opening it up to Ford, GM, Ram.
Gas mileage, cabin size/comfort, and reliability (e.g. low chance of ridiculous repairs before, say, 100k) are probably my biggest asks. I’m sure they can all handle whatever tow/hauling I’d do. Any insights on the 2019s for these three are appreciated

Ford's supercrew cabin is really what decided me on the F150.  Your kids won't be getting any smaller.  I have a 9yo and 11yo that we took with us on every test drive and the cabins in every other truck we test-drove-- which was all of the brands mentioned here-- just weren't big enough.  Of course I'm moving on from a full-size SUV so I'm used to having, and using, a lot of interior space.  

Edited by utee94

Ford's supercrew cabin is really what decided me on the F150.  Your kids won't be getting any smaller.  I have a 9yo and 11yo that we took with us on every test drive and the cabins in every other truck we test-drove-- which was all of the brands mentioned here-- just weren't big enough.  Of course I'm moving on from a full-size SUV so I'm used to having, and using, a lot of interior space.  

Exactly on the “not getting any smaller.”
What very little I’ve done on researching this so far made it look like GMC has a bigger rear area on the new models compared to the 2014/2105 I’m used to but still not quite to the size of the fords and I just can’t get excited about the redesigned GMC body style

The new GM body style has grown on me, I'll admit.  The front end is still a bit of a mess though.  

And I didn't test drive any GM newer than 2017 so if they've increased the cabin size, good for them!  A year ago when we were looking, I test drove 2015-2017 models of Ford, GM, Ram, Toyota, and the Ford Supercrew cabin was noticeably larger than all of them.  That, plus towing capacity but also being used as a daily driver, were the most important buying factors for me. 

Edited by utee94

17 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Love the rear seating in my ford. Gobs of space. Two 10 year olds fit so easily, he’ll ive had 3 adults back there with no issues. 

I got the 5.5 bed to keep the overall length of the thing down, and it still turns like shit, but worth it. 

I went from the Tundra to the F-150. Similar back seat space, but the flat floorboard in the Ford has been a super nice addition. And it drives soooo much better than the Tundra. 

Are the turbo V-6's in the Ford turning out to be a reliable, long term engine? They have been around a while and there should be enough of a sample size.. 

Earlier ones had some mostly minor issues, but the 2nd gen has been solid. That would be 2017-up F-150, 2018-up Expedition/Navigator.

The second gen has port fuel injection (still keeps the direct injection), new turbos, strengthened timing chain system, some valvetrain improvements, and better piston cooling (via larger volume oil squirters).

43 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

The 2nd row in the 2019+ Ram 1500 is now as big as the F150.  Rides better and not as cheap looking in the upper trims.

https://www.kbb.com/car-news/ford-f-150-supercrew-vs-ram-1500-crew-cab-comparison/2100006233/

Toyota Crewmax 2nd row is laughably huge.  Mileage laughably bad

Edited by Loco

2 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

The 2nd row in the 2019+ Ram 1500 is now as big as the F150.  Rides better and not as cheap looking in the upper trims.

https://www.kbb.com/car-news/ford-f-150-supercrew-vs-ram-1500-crew-cab-comparison/2100006233/

Disagree, I like the upper trims on the Ford much, much better than the Ram.  At least on the interior. 

If you're one to "drive it into the ground", I take that to mean 10-15 or more years of ownership and 200k+ miles.  To me that's a different customer than someone who likes to get something new every 5-7 years.  Spend some time on forums for each manufacturer you are considering and see what sort of issues seem to be a trend.

I went through the same exercise end of last year, and all forums but Toyota were a shitshow of problems.  Toyota owners mostly just discussed upgrades and mods.  So I ended up with a Tundra.  Yes, the mpg sucks and the truck is way behind the times when it comes to modern tech and features.   Not a plush interior and a lot of hard plastic.  It is a truck.  But swapping the head unit and other things can help.  And hell, you could still get a lemon.

The Chevy Trail Boss and Ram Rebel were awfully tempting to me, and I would have gone that route if I thought I'd be in the market again in a few years.  

There are a ton of great options for new trucks these days but holy shit the prices are out of control.  Good luck with your search.

• Like 2

If you're one to "drive it into the ground", I take that to mean 10-15 or more years of ownership and 200k+ miles.  To me that's a different customer than someone who likes to get something new every 5-7 years.  Spend some time on forums for each manufacturer you are considering and see what sort of issues seem to be a trend.
I went through the same exercise end of last year, and all forums but Toyota were a shitshow of problems.  Toyota owners mostly just discussed upgrades and mods.  So I ended up with a Tundra.  Yes, the mpg sucks and the truck is way behind the times when it comes to modern tech and features.   Not a plush interior and a lot of hard plastic.  It is a truck.  But swapping the head unit and other things can help.  And hell, you could still get a lemon.
The Chevy Trail Boss and Ram Rebel were awfully tempting to me, and I would have gone that route if I thought I'd be in the market again in a few years.  
There are a ton of great options for new trucks these days but holy shit the prices are out of control.  Good luck with your search.
Yep. I just bought a 2002 Landcruiser with 214k. Everything works, except the sunroof, which i don't care about. Only stuff I'm looking at are upgrades.

Yeah the prices are absurd. Im fortunate right now to not be behind the 8 ball needing to buy ASAP like I was last year when insurance only covered a rental for a month...Part of me is actually considering holding off until the recession hits and/or gas prices get back to ~$3.00 to put a dent into some of the demand for light-duty pickups.

Trucks continue to comprise an ever increasing percentage of profits for the big 3. They’re in a world of hurt if they misread the market and misalign production with demand

-short big 3 stocks at the right time
-Wait for whichever company(s) overshoots supply, forcing ridiculous discounts to move inventory
-Apply stock gains to new severely discount truck. Finance leftover at record low interest rates.

Hmmm

6 hours ago, utee94 said:

Yeah I was shocked by the prices too.  Pickups used to be cheap! :)

Well the fact you can finance them for 8-9 years now means everyone’s got to have one.  A well equipped 3/4-ton is well into the 60’s now FML. 

ETA- I’ve decided unless something big breaks (truck has been flawless) I’m taking it to 300. I figure that will get me another 2 years or so.    Hopefully wife’s will do the same, and while hers has nothing major ever wrong, I don’t trust it nearly as much to “finish strong”.  

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Like 1