Truck Nuts

BurntOrange&White

5 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

My wonderful Tundra seems to have an AC issue. It won’t kick on in the heat of the day. Fucking brilliant timing. I replaced the AC Heater blower (other one was sounding bad). I’m thinking replace the relay under the hood next? Any other ideas?

Thanks!

I had an issue on an old frontier where it would work intermittently and then went out completely. Issue was a faulty sensor that detects if the condenser(I think) is frozen. 

Had to take the glove box off to get to it, but that’s Nissan.  

• Like 1

On 8/20/2019 at 12:45 PM, Goofyboy said:

My wonderful Tundra seems to have an AC issue. It won’t kick on in the heat of the day. Fucking brilliant timing. I replaced the AC Heater blower (other one was sounding bad). I’m thinking replace the relay under the hood next? Any other ideas?

Thanks!

$3 relay fixed the AC issue on wife's MDX.   That put an end to the new car talk...for a while.

• Like 1

Bought a new battery and Auto Zone ran the standard starter /alternator test. Kid working at Auto Zone said that the alternator reading was "high voltage" instead of the normal "OK" readout.

Any reason to be concerned? Former battery went from serviceable to "deader than Elvis" literally overnight. OEM Batt with 65K miles on the vehicle.

While we're on the subject I recommend the batteries they sell at Advance Auto Parts.

If you look for a coupon code online you can usually get a big discount. They will normally install the battery for you at the store. I have had good luck with the Autocraft Platinum AGMs across several vehicles.

They have a three year replacement warranty and there are enough AAP locations around that you could probably jump off and limp to one with a problem. Have a coke and some peanuts while the employee is swapping you out for a fresh AGM battery.

Speaking of batteries, why does it seem like they’ve all gone to shit over the last 5 years or so?  I’m knocking furiously on wood but the optimas in my boat (2 ea 31’s and 2 ea 34’s) turned 10 yo in May this year. They are going to get replaced next year no matter what but damn I’m doing good to get 3 years out of them in our vehicles.  Probably go to oddysea (sp?) in the boat next year and save a few pounds as well. 

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Are the high dollar batteries worth the extra cash?  The ones listed above are $200 or more. Interested in longevity moreso than more cranking amps  

Generally yes bc of the hassle you save by it lasting longer and being more reliable

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is a Colorado or Canyon a decent truck?  They have pretty good reviews, they're reasonably priced compared to half tons, and solve some issues I'm pretty sure would annoy me with a truck coming from years of car driving:  atrocious mileage and unwieldy size.

Kind of eyeballing a 17 or 18 ZR1.  The Chevy's actually look similar to/better than the GMCs.

I don't NEED a truck for anything (towing), but I feel it would be handy as a pocket on a shirt.

Edited by TwiceHorn

I had a ‘16 Colorado crew Z71 with the Diesel engine that I just traded in because my family out grew it and the seats were really uncomfortable (too firm and not enough depth).  Other than that, great truck.  Easy to drive and park in the city, and plenty of tow and hauling capacity for most people.  

Edited by Amos Moses
Edit
  • Like 1

72000 miles.    Secondary hunting/Colorado vehicle.  Rarely put in 4wd on hunting trips and drove it to Colorado about 3 times a year.    I think it got abused during March winter storm in Colorado.  Drove thru that crazy storm from Steamboat that morning to Castle Rock where the 100+ car pile up was.  Stopped at shelter for night.  That next day at noon, those with 4x4 were allowed to gingerly go down the interstate to Colorado Springs where the ice had melted.  Was in 4 high all the way from Steamboat to Colorado Springs.  At one point I had the transfer case locked and pushing snow at 10 mph.   It was intense.  Only did 2 smart things that week.  Bought new BFGs and loaded 500 lbs of sand over the rear wheels before we left. .  Never had a bobble. Wanted to sell it when I had trouble, now $7500 later I feel like I need to keep it awhile.  

That doesn’t seem like abuse imo.  Or what I would consider abuse.  Sucks, you might have just caught a bad one.  I’ve only lost 1 on a truck that was certifiably abused (my high school half ton) and I was still able to get that one to 185k before I lost a clutch pack.  And by abused, I mean I still can’t believe that one made it past 100k.  I got all of my youth idiocy out on that truck, thankfully. Still have it fwiw. $7500 is fucking stupid.  I can get a built Allison cheaper.  

On 9/14/2019 at 10:12 AM, Gladeite said:

72000 miles.    Secondary hunting/Colorado vehicle.  Rarely put in 4wd on hunting trips and drove it to Colorado about 3 times a year.    I think it got abused during March winter storm in Colorado.  Drove thru that crazy storm from Steamboat that morning to Castle Rock where the 100+ car pile up was.  Stopped at shelter for night.  That next day at noon, those with 4x4 were allowed to gingerly go down the interstate to Colorado Springs where the ice had melted.  Was in 4 high all the way from Steamboat to Colorado Springs.  At one point I had the transfer case locked and pushing snow at 10 mph.   It was intense.  Only did 2 smart things that week.  Bought new BFGs and loaded 500 lbs of sand over the rear wheels before we left. .  Never had a bobble. Wanted to sell it when I had trouble, now $7500 later I feel like I need to keep it awhile.  

This should not do anything to your transmission.  Sounds like you got a bad one.

On 9/10/2019 at 9:27 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Is a Colorado or Canyon a decent truck?  They have pretty good reviews, they're reasonably priced compared to half tons, and solve some issues I'm pretty sure would annoy me with a truck coming from years of car driving:  atrocious mileage and unwieldy size.

Kind of eyeballing a 17 or 18 ZR1.  The Chevy's actually look similar to/better than the GMCs.

I don't NEED a truck for anything (towing), but I feel it would be handy as a pocket on a shirt.

I'll be in the market for a midsize truck in the near future, so I've been doing some poking around.  For years I shied away from GM products because of terrible problems my dad had with a series of GM cars he owned way back when ( he was brand loyal to a fault), but I think GM has improved in terms of reliability over the past 10-15 years, so I'll be scoping out the Colorado as well as the Ranger, Tacoma, Gladiator, and Frontier.  Reliability is high on my list of factors that will influence my decision.  In that regard, I've been reading about transmission and/or torque converter "death shudder" problems that Colorado and Canyon have had in the 2015-2019 model years, which is giving me pause.  So do your research if you're thinking about the Colorado. 

Edited by Carl Spackler
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

I think GM has improved in terms of reliability over the past 10-15 years, so I'll be scoping out the Colorado as well as the Ranger, Tacoma, Gladiator, and Frontier.  Reliability is high on my list of factors that will influence my decision.

I am a GM guy thru and thru.  You won’t beat a Taco in that segment.  The new “midsize” trucks from Ford and GM are different than before,  but that was one segment that GM never nailed down imo. Aside from the early S-10’s, the rangers and tacos were always better.  And my limited knowledge on the frontier was one we had on a ranch in Freer that could. Not. Be. Killed. Many tried, it’s still going. That was a tough little sob. The “blue Buckaroo”. 

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I am a GM guy thru and thru.  You won’t beat a Taco in that segment.  The new “midsize” trucks from Ford and GM are different than before,  but that was one segment that GM never nailed down imo. Aside from the early S-10’s, the rangers and tacos were always better.  And my limited knowledge on the frontier was one we had on a ranch in Freer that could. Not. Be. Killed. Many tried, it’s still going. That was a tough little sob. The “blue Buckaroo”. 

I had an '09 Suzuki Equator (which was just a rebadged Frontier) for several years.  That thing never gave me any problems whatsoever.  Totaled it in an accident on the 101 Freeway a few years back, and it still grieves me.  Frontiers are antiquated compared to their competitors because the last redesign was all the way back in '04, but that 4 liter six has had all the bugs worked out and Nissan didn't put its shitty CVT into the Frontier, thank God.  I'll take reliability over bells and whistles any day, so I'm still going to look hard at the Frontier when it comes time to buy even though the Colorado and Ranger can run rings around it in terms of technology, mileage, etc.

I have a lot of respect for both Toyota generally and Tacomas in particular, but based on everything I've read/heard, the current 3rd generation isn't as reliable as its predecessors.  That said, I'm still gonna take a close look at the Tacoma.  Even if they aren't as bulletproof as the older generations, esp. ones running the 22 RE, my sense is that they're still fairly reliable. 

4 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

I'll be in the market for a midsize truck in the near future, so I've been doing some poking around.  For years I shied away from GM products because of terrible problems my dad had with a series of GM cars he owned way back when ( he was brand loyal to a fault), but I think GM has improved in terms of reliability over the past 10-15 years, so I'll be scoping out the Colorado as well as the Ranger, Tacoma, Gladiator, and Frontier.  Reliability is high on my list of factors that will influence my decision.  In that regard, I've been reading about transmission and/or torque converter "death shudder" problems that Colorado and Canyon have had in the 2015-2019 model years, which is giving me pause.  So do your research if you're thinking about the Colorado. 

My parents, wife and I have had GMs for more than a decade. Parents two decades. They've been damn near flawless.

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

My parents, wife and I have had GMs for more than a decade. Parents two decades. They've been damn near flawless.

This is also my experience, though I know they have put out some crap. I have friends who’ve had lemons. But me personally, damn near bulletproof (now both mine will explode) 

4 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

And my limited knowledge on the frontier was one we had on a ranch in Freer that could. Not. Be. Killed. Many tried, it’s still going. That was a tough little sob. The “blue Buckaroo”. 

My nephew is still driving my dad's 2001 Frontier. He's a dumbass and doesn't take care of it but it doesn't seem to matter. It cannot be stopped, I guess.

10 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I had a Blazer from 1995-2007, and a Tahoe from 2007 to 2018.  Nothing more than normal regular maintenance required on either of them.  

2 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

I saw a new Ranger in the wild for the first time yesterday. White 4 door. Looked pretty sharp. 

I've seen several, and I agree that they look good.  Haven't heard much "real world" feedback about them yet, though.  

I thought there was quite a bit of interest leading up to the Ranger's release, but I read the other day that the Frontier has actually outsold the Ranger by quite a bit through the second quarter of 2019.  I suspect that pricing has a lot to do with that.   

Pricing and they haven't done a very good job playing up the strengths of the drive train which is actually quite good. People just see "no v6" and don't even look at them.  

Then when you spec them up with options the price gets up there and people decide to just get an F150 at that point. 

Ranger sales were higher than the Frontier. Colorado sales are falling off of a cliff. The Ranger is a new model in the US so it's going to take awhile to get a healthy inventory out there on the lots. I bet by this time next year the Ranger will be close to or have overtaken the Colorado.

Sales Numbers - Midsize Mainstream Pickup Trucks - Q2 2019 - USA

MODEL Q2 19 / Q2 18 Q2 19 Q2 18 Q2 19 SHARE Q2 18 SHARE YTD 19 / YTD 18 YTD 19 YTD 18
TOTAL +11.54% 147,242 132,014     +12.60% 275,515 244,690
TOYOTA TACOMA +1.91% 63,683 62,487 43% 47% +4.82% 121,866 116,266
CHEVROLET COLORADO -22.79% 31,669 41,016 22% 31% -6.74% 65,163 69,875
FORD RANGER * 20,880 * 14% 0% * 30,301 0
NISSAN FRONTIER +1.19% 19,101 18,876 13% 14% -5.70% 39,322 41,701
GMC CANYON +23.60% 11,909 9,635 8% 7% +11.96% 18,863 16,848
Edited by smuggs

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Interesting that canyon is up while Colorado is down. Is there something the gmc offers that the chevy does not?

half of ranger sales may be from previous chevy customers, the rest could be leeching from f150. 

Canyon has a Denali trim which is a little more than the top Chevy trim. I can't imagine that is the sole reason though. Maybe it's a fleet sales thing. 

16 hours ago, smuggs said:

Ranger sales were higher than the Frontier. Colorado sales are falling off of a cliff. The Ranger is a new model in the US so it's going to take awhile to get a healthy inventory out there on the lots. I bet by this time next year the Ranger will be close to or have overtaken the Colorado.

Sales Numbers - Midsize Mainstream Pickup Trucks - Q2 2019 - USA

MODEL Q2 19 / Q2 18 Q2 19 Q2 18 Q2 19 SHARE Q2 18 SHARE YTD 19 / YTD 18 YTD 19 YTD 18
TOTAL +11.54% 147,242 132,014     +12.60% 275,515 244,690
TOYOTA TACOMA +1.91% 63,683 62,487 43% 47% +4.82% 121,866 116,266
CHEVROLET COLORADO -22.79% 31,669 41,016 22% 31% -6.74% 65,163 69,875
FORD RANGER * 20,880 * 14% 0% * 30,301 0
NISSAN FRONTIER +1.19% 19,101 18,876 13% 14% -5.70% 39,322 41,701
GMC CANYON +23.60% 11,909 9,635 8% 7% +11.96% 18,863 16,848

The article I read about Frontier outselling Ranger was referring to YTD sales through the second quarter of 2019 (Frontier 39,322 > Ranger 30,301), but the sales for the second quarter alone indicate Ranger is gaining some momentum.  Will be interesting to see the year-end figures.   

Spotted @ Homer Despot the other day.

& The license plate thing was odd considering there was a perfectly viable spot on his front bumper.

For those who don't know why they should deride this massive stack, there is a maximum 4" exhaust pipe coming from the engine & there is zero functional gain by eating up this much bed real estate.

1490b8e397783b7ad20665190bc6d653.jpge176fa4c4c70ca3dc24ff5d83c04233d.jpg4b8d5bb769765285f9691f70794531b4.jpgaed9d0e2aac67314ef64b1969760c142.jpg4f59fc18e9178781114c7895a20efddf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

With the pics I've seen, the entire front 1/3 or so of the vehicle is easily shown with a good view of the windshield (which is why I occasionally flip the bird while going through them... for the shits & giggles of anyone viewing the pics), so I think the plate is easily gonna be spotted.  Even then, a dual pic is taken @ the same time, both the front end & rear, so a plate matchup is also done for both ends.

No real understanding of why to put it there.

I did see a Jeep the other day that had the plate on the front where it was attached to the underside of the "approach plate" for their front bumper (30 deg. angle or something like that) & there would be zero possibility for a plate reader to catch that one.  Same idea as the front & rear plate pics as noted ^.

Now, when a motorcycle has the plate tucked up under the rear fender, I don't think the cameras are gonna get that & there's no front plate on those anyhow.