Truck Nuts

BurntOrange&White

On 9/23/2019 at 12:05 AM, Alex Karev said:

Looking for a chevy 2020 4x4 trail boss 3.0 diesel or LTZ. Anyone else in this market.

I’m also in the market. Haven’t driven the new GMC or Silverado. I have company F-150 right now that I’m losing. Right now I’m thinking.

Everything will be 4x4

1.Lariat F150

2. Platinum Tundra

3.GMC/Chevy LTZ / SLT

5. Ram Laramie with Night package.

I really like the new Ram but everything I’ve heard says I should stay away. I also like the GM’s but they don’t seem to be discounting them at all.

Probably down to Toyota or F-150 with 3.5 ecoboost.

14 hours ago, Alex Karev said:

I test Drove a loaded GMC 3.0 monday. I really liked it but the Dealer on has the 1 and they only offered about $1400 off the window sticker. I am prepared to wait them out.

Is he the only dealer available to you?  Hell, other dealers in Texas will have the vehicle delivered to you - internet buying & email can do online what people always had to do in person.  Spread out a bit.

6 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Is he the only dealer available to you?  Hell, other dealers in Texas will have the vehicle delivered to you - internet buying & email can do online what people always had to do in person.  Spread out a bit.

There are probably less than 100 of these trucks in Texas.

They just released the 2020 GMC and Chevy  3.0 Diesel 1500 trucks just days before the GM strike. Until the strike is over and the assembly lines restart, there is not going to be any available to no one. Most Dealers have had their orders in for several months.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2019 at 8:31 AM, smuggs said:

Ranger sales were higher than the Frontier. Colorado sales are falling off of a cliff. The Ranger is a new model in the US so it's going to take awhile to get a healthy inventory out there on the lots. I bet by this time next year the Ranger will be close to or have overtaken the Colorado.

Sales Numbers - Midsize Mainstream Pickup Trucks - Q2 2019 - USA

MODEL Q2 19 / Q2 18 Q2 19 Q2 18 Q2 19 SHARE Q2 18 SHARE YTD 19 / YTD 18 YTD 19 YTD 18
TOTAL +11.54% 147,242 132,014     +12.60% 275,515 244,690
TOYOTA TACOMA +1.91% 63,683 62,487 43% 47% +4.82% 121,866 116,266
CHEVROLET COLORADO -22.79% 31,669 41,016 22% 31% -6.74% 65,163 69,875
FORD RANGER * 20,880 * 14% 0% * 30,301 0
NISSAN FRONTIER +1.19% 19,101 18,876 13% 14% -5.70% 39,322 41,701
GMC CANYON +23.60% 11,909 9,635 8% 7% +11.96% 18,863 16,848

I keep forgetting that jeep has a truck again, until I see a commercial for it.  It’s in this segment, I assume?

On 9/28/2019 at 11:40 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

I keep forgetting that jeep has a truck again, until I see a commercial for it.  It’s in this segment, I assume?

Looks like it sold a little over 7000 units but I believe that May was the first full month of Gladiator sales:

MODEL Q2 19 / Q2 18 Q2 19 Q2 18 Q2 19 SHARE Q2 18 SHARE YTD 19 / YTD 18 YTD 19 YTD 18
TOTAL +16.94% 154,371 132,014     +15.56% 282,767 244,690
TOYOTA TACOMA +1.91% 63,683 62,487 41% 47% +4.82% 121,866 116,266
CHEVROLET COLORADO -22.79% 31,669 41,016 21% 31% -6.74% 65,163 69,875
FORD RANGER * 20,880 * 14% 0% * 30,301 0
NISSAN FRONTIER +1.19% 19,101 18,876 12% 14% -5.70% 39,322 41,701
GMC CANYON +23.60% 11,909 9,635 8% 7% +11.96% 18,863 16,848
JEEP GLADIATOR * 7,129 * 5% 0% * 7,252 0

I’m also in the market. Haven’t driven the new GMC or Silverado. I have company F-150 right now that I’m losing. Right now I’m thinking.
Everything will be 4x4
1.Lariat F150
2. Platinum Tundra
3.GMC/Chevy LTZ / SLT
5. Ram Laramie with Night package.

I really like the new Ram but everything I’ve heard says I should stay away. I also like the GM’s but they don’t seem to be discounting them at all.
Probably down to Toyota or F-150 with 3.5 ecoboost.

Why is that on the Ram?

14 hours ago, LebongJames said:

Resale value and reliability. Plus I’ve heard there have been major issues with their new 12 inch screen.

Can’t speak to that, but I drove the new top end Ram before buying my ford and can honestly say it was the best riding truck I’ve ever experienced. Just didn’t love the styling enough to pull the trigger. 

Just bought a ‘20 Tacoma Off Road edition last week. It’s my 3rd Tacoma. Started with an ‘01 extended cab and traded it for an ‘05 crew cab when we were expecting our first kid. Kept it for 10 years and traded it for a Mercedes SUV. Glad to be back. I’d been missing it for a long time.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

IIRC, MPG on the Tundra sucks compared to Dodge / Ford / GM.

Ya it’s not great at all but I’m not worried about it. I had the small ecoboost and it was terrible with towing. I knew I was going V8. I know some don’t love the interior on Tundras but with the Platinum trim I really like it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LebongJames said:

Ya it’s not great at all but I’m not worried about it. I had the small ecoboost and it was terrible with towing. I knew I was going V8. I know some don’t love the interior on Tundras but with the Platinum trim I really like it. 

Congrats on the Tundra.  I have a 2019.  And yeah the mpg is bad, but it's a truck...if that were a concern i'd get a Prius or something.  38 gallon tank also keeps the trips to the gas station less frequent.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Goofyboy said:

You guys with the Tundras - have you ever put over 30 gallons in your tank? I fill up when the truck says to fill up. Never really more than 30. Is that a safety thing or a fuel pump thing? I have the 38 gallon tank.

Hey man. Typical on the Tundra. The displacement and where the pump sits makes it impossible to get anywhere near the full tank capacity. It was always 29-30 gallons of fill for me when “empty”

• Like 1

Not  Tundra but my F150 has a 36 gallon tank and I fill up >30 gallons regularly.  Do you have a specific concern?

Edit, ah I understand now.  Not able to utilize the full 38 gallons?  That would be frustrating.

Edited by utee94

2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Not  Tundra but my F150 has a 36 gallon tank and I fill up >30 gallons regularly.  Do you have a specific concern?

I fill closer to 32 on the Ford vs 30-ish on the Tundra. But that’s the case with every modern car on electric pump

Edited by Bert Orange

1 hour ago, Bert Orange said:

Want to say I went ever so slightly larger on mine and got minor tire rub in the front at full turn so I adjusted the wheels slightly to accommodate. 

Big shoes made a huge difference on the look. 

I put 285/70/18 on mine because I still have the stock TRD wheels with +60 offset.  Some people say 295/70/18 will fit on those but I'm super close to the UCA with these tires.  I'm happy with them, and as mentioned it completely changes the look of the truck.

5 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

well, ill soon be in the market for a new truck

bert, what kind of mileage are you getting on that raptor ?

saw a gmc at4 today, damn nice truck. ill be test driving a f150 diesel soon, as ill be a mpg whore. 

If MPG is a concern, don’t even bother contemplating the Raptor. For that matter you may want to only look at the F150 diesel as most of the rest will suck unless you consider a Ridgeline a truck.

6 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

well, ill soon be in the market for a new truck

bert, what kind of mileage are you getting on that raptor ?

saw a gmc at4 today, damn nice truck. ill be test driving a f150 diesel soon, as ill be a mpg whore. 

1 hour ago, Brew said:

If MPG is a concern, don’t even bother contemplating the Raptor. For that matter you may want to only look at the F150 diesel as most of the rest will suck unless you consider a Ridgeline a truck.

Yeah, what Brew said. Raptor is heavy. Ad with my lead foot and a propensity to put it in sport as soon as I start it (hate the eco auto engine off), I’m getting 14-15 mpg. Better than my 12 mpg in the Tundra, but this ain’t no diesel. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bert Orange said:

Yeah, what Brew said. Raptor is heavy. Ad with my lead foot and a propensity to put it in sport as soon as I start it (hate the eco auto engine off), I’m getting 14-15 mpg. Better than my 12 mpg in the Tundra, but this ain’t no diesel. 

My F150 with the 3.5 only averages around 15. I think it’s right under that over the 55k mikes that are on it. There is some towing mixed in, but the bulk of the miles are at 80 on the interstate which kills the gas mileage on that engine. Larger tires didn’t help either.

My 3.5 ecoboost CAN get better mileage than the V8.

But it's just too easy to keep your foot into the gas when then turbos spin up.  When I'm "trying" I can get 17-18.  But normally it's about the 15 brew is getting.  And when towing, well... it makes it up the hills really easy, that's all I'm going to say. :)

Opinions are like assholes but I like the Michelin LTX A/T2s.  Good bite on a slimy boat ramp or the two track leading to the deer lease with absolutely zero road noise.  I am a big fan of the Michelin LTX series overall.  As long as you rotate and document the rotations the warranty is really strong. 

If you were looking for something more aggressive I plan on putting a set of Goodyear DuraTracs on my weekend Jeep Wrangler when the current BFGs run out.  Wrangler guys seem to love the DuraTracs as a crossover tire for daily driving and wheeling.  Just some thoughts; I am not a tire expert.  

I have now run my 2018 Tundra with 38 gal tank down to the low fuel light twice.  Low fuel light seems to come on with about 6 or 7 gallons left in the tank.  Not 100% sure all 6 or 7 gallons are usable but they're there in a pinch.  A little bit annoying but just something to keep in mind.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bigshark88 said:

Opinions are like assholes but I like the Michelin LTX A/T2s.  Good bite on a slimy boat ramp or the two track leading to the deer lease with absolutely zero road noise.  I am a big fan of the Michelin LTX series overall.  As long as you rotate and document the rotations the warranty is really strong. 

If you were looking for something more aggressive I plan on putting a set of Goodyear DuraTracs on my weekend Jeep Wrangler when the current BFGs run out.  Wrangler guys seem to love the DuraTracs as a crossover tire for daily driving and wheeling.  Just some thoughts; I am not a tire expert.  

Yeah, leaning towards either KO2s or Duratracs right now.  I want the Snow & Ice rating since we're in the mountains a lot and the Michelins don't have it for some reason.  And I want something a little more aggressive on the LC.  Love the LTX M/S2 that we have on the wife's SUV.  They are great tires.

11 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Yeah, leaning towards either KO2s or Duratracs right now.  I want the Snow & Ice rating since we're in the mountains a lot and the Michelins don't have it for some reason.  And I want something a little more aggressive on the LC.  Love the LTX M/S2 that we have on the wife's SUV.  They are great tires.

Love my K02's. Taken me everywhere I've asked them to, including to places that other folks had to air down, and have 30k miles on them and still look brand new.