Truck Nuts

BurntOrange&White

3 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:
47 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:
every single FJ I've been in has a cracked windshield.  Whats up with that?

It’s at a very high angle and rock/pebble strikes do more damage. Some have better luck than others. I have replaced it once.

Yeah Jeeps have flat, vertical windshields that tend to get cracked easily as well.  Not ours, not yet, but I won't be surprised if/when it happens.

13 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

That’s what I was hoping for.

I'm sure I've mentioned before how much I love that 3.5L twin turbo in my F150.  I wonder how much the Bronco weighs compared to the pickup?  That engine might just be TOO MUCH for it, and Ford doesn't want to put such a wonderful, dangerous weapon in the hands of the masses. ;)

This thing is in a market segment on it's own. It does things better than stock xyz brand, will likely end up costing a boatload and it will sell like crazy. The raptor is a perfect template. What percent of raptor owners do anything with their 80k trucks other than drive to their office and back in on the 4th try just to look cool? Also, I want one.

3 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Thanks.  I remember them selling well at first but then puttered out.  I know they were made in the same plant in Japan as the 4 Runner and basically ever sale they lost by cancelling them was made up by 4 Runner sales.  They were on the same frame so that was easy.  I have a 2015 4 Runner Trail and haven't had any problems.

I just know it's a weird segment.  Not many off road SUV's but tons of unibody grocery getters.  I wanted something more off road/SUV.

I bet Toyota had a ton of people that liked the idea of an FJ but wanted it slightly bigger with 4 doors... "Well come take a look at these 4Runners over here..."

Would not be surprised if Ford saw an increase in Explorer sales because of this. 

15 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I bet Toyota had a ton of people that liked the idea of an FJ but wanted it slightly bigger with 4 doors... "Well come take a look at these 4Runners over here..."

Would not be surprised if Ford saw an increase in Explorer sales because of this. 

That was exactly me. I was selling my Honda Prelude because the car seat would not fit well in the back (miss that car....) I loved the FJ, but dealing with the half door and fitting a kid in a rear facing seat just felt like too much of a pain. Ended up with a V8 4Runner instead.

5 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I thought that was the purpose of the tame looking one.  It looks like an Explorer to a degree.

6 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

so who's going to be the first one here to get a bronco ?

If I had the resources to get a "just for fun" extra car right now, it would be high on the list.  But I ain't rocko so I can't spend those big bucks.

And no, I will not post my pay stub.

On 6/21/2020 at 11:11 PM, Brew said:

The axle was an issue on the ‘15. The hub that failed on this ‘17 turned out to be a vacuum issue. I don’t understand the mechanics of it as I come from the world of manually locking hubs, but when you let off the gas and coasted it would create a vacuum issue engaging the hub at highway speed. I limped it into the dealer instead of towing it which resulted in the hub needing to be replaced, but it was a simple vacuum leak that caused the failure. I put 25k-30k on them a year and still use 4wd and tow regularly.

I get to add failed ring and pinion gears to the list of my low mileage truck problems. Luckily I just crossed 60k miles, so the warranty is up. It’s always a good feeling when the service manager starts the conversation with, “This is the first time we’ve seen that happen.”

Edited by Brew
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Brew said:

I get to add failed ring and pinion gears to the list of my low mileage truck problems. Luckily I just crossed 60k miles, so the warranty is up. It’s always a good feeling when the service manager starts the conversation with, “This is the first time we’ve seen that happen.”

Raptor?

15 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

TRD Pro starts around $50k but there are very few options.  So $50k sticker.

The Trail has all of the off road systems at around $45K or something.  I think the TRD Pro has an upgrade suspension.

I never understood why Toyota didn't make more 4 Runners to be honest.  They could sell more if they had more.  They're constrained by the plant in Japan but they've never made an effort to produce more here.  (Not sure where the Land Cruise is made.)  Right now, they're trying to retool plants to make more Rav 4's instead of Camry's so there's that.

The J200 Land Cruiser is built at Tahara (same as the 4Runner), as well as Yoshiwara (the classic LC plant).

Tahara is kind of the gold standard plant in assembly line automation. They make many Lexus car models, as well as the 4Runner, J200 LC, and Lexus GX.

Yoshiwara is the classic Land cruiser plant, and makes some NA market J200s/Lexus LX, the world market versions of the J200, and the J70 series which we don’t get here.

The FJ was built at the Hino Motors plant in Hamura.

200.gif

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LebongJames said:

Raptor?

‘17 F150, I am glad to see the used truck market is still solid as they are keeping this thing. Leaving Friday for a few weeks and no one can get to mine before then. Looked at rentals and said screw it and just bought a new truck.

Edited by Brew
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Welcome to the "I ain't waiting to get this thing fixed, I am buying a new truck now" club. It is my go to move. Post pics asshole and congrats!

Shit, you shouldn't have to do it on a 3 year old truck just out of warranty.

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Welcome to the "I ain't waiting to get this thing fixed, I am buying a new truck now" club. It is my go to move. Post pics asshole and congrats!

I have Platinum status in that club although for years it was trade when I need tires. I have a 1000 mile run back to the beach Friday and have to bring a trailer and other various stuff back in a couple of weeks. After looking at renting a truck for 3 or so weeks and the out of warranty repair plus the value they gave me on my truck, trading made sense and passing on the ‘21.

On 7/15/2020 at 1:54 AM, tx 3 putt said:

so who's going to be the first one here to get a bronco ?

The price points for each model aren’t as high as I thought they might go.   Ford keeps it very competitive with Jeep in that area.   I’ll have to wait a few more years when it’s time to trade my 17 F150.  But damn it’s tempting to get in line right now.  

Cuidado, amigos.

Given all the problems Ford had with the last Explorer rollout, I might keep my powder dry.

Granted, the Bronco is not another Explorer, so they're incented not to fuck it up.  But all-new is all new.  Also, given that the last Explorer went back to RWD, there was quite a bit of excitement surrounding it and they fucked the dawg, 

17 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Cuidado, amigos.

Given all the problems Ford had with the last Explorer rollout, I might keep my powder dry.

Granted, the Bronco is not another Explorer, so they're incented not to fuck it up.  But all-new is all new.  Also, given that the last Explorer went back to RWD, there was quite a bit of excitement surrounding it and they fucked the dawg, 

I haven’t really been keeping up with the auto shit list as of late.   What’s up with the mom wagon known as the Explorer?

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Cuidado, amigos.

There is a reason it was called the Exploder.  

Definitely the used Corolla.  After he wrecks that 4 or 5 times and gets it out of his system... well, then, no.  He will have proven he doesn't deserve a kick-ass new Bronco anyway. :)

My first car was a 1981 Dodge Omni.  That was a tremendous piece of shit.  But it was my piece of shit.

• Like 2

I put my deposit down on a Badlands. Will get a call from my dealer in December to shit or get off the pot.

My dilemma is that it doesn't look like the 7-speed is available with the 2.7 but the Sasquatch pack (Bilsteins & 35's) isn't available with the 2.3. I want that 7-speed so I'll probably be settling for the 2.3 and doing lift/shocks/tires on my own.

bronco-reservation.jpg

2 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

The Sasquatch is available on the 2.3, but the manual is not available with the Sasquatch (as confirmed by the Ford communications guy Mike Levine). He said if people disagreed they may be open to it, but now I can’t find that tweet.

Yeah sorry that's what I meant. The Squatch package includes the 10-speed auto.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

The Sasquatch is available on the 2.3, but the manual is not available with the Sasquatch (as confirmed by the Ford communications guy Mike Levine). He said if people disagreed they may be open to it, but now I can’t find that tweet.

Check jalonik for an article on it (David Tracy is my favorite media person)

17 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I haven’t really been keeping up with the auto shit list as of late.   What’s up with the mom wagon known as the Explorer?

Whew, a myriad of stuff.  They were pulling them off dealer lots and sending them in for repairs before they were even sold.

Apparently partially due to unrest in the plant where they were made.  https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2019/09/13/ford-2020-explorer-lincoln-aviator-delivery/2292795001/

Note, too, that this was a refresh for the Lincoln Aviator, which goes along with some all-new truckster things in the Lincoln lineup that were supposed to be big improvements.

Again, not as much hype as the Bronco, but this was a pretty high-proflle rollout for them.

Edited by TwiceHorn

3 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

No manual on the 2.7.

CAFE.

The almost sole reason for existence of 8 and 10 spd trannies is to increase fuel economy.

Anything with displacement much above 2L is going to be a big hit on CAFE without an early-shifting auto, especially in a heavier platform like the Bronco.

58 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Whew, a myriad of stuff.  They were pulling them off dealer lots and sending them in for repairs before they were even sold.

Apparently partially due to unrest in the plant where they were made.  https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2019/09/13/ford-2020-explorer-lincoln-aviator-delivery/2292795001/

Note, too, that this was a refresh for the Lincoln Aviator, which goes along with some all-new truckster things in the Lincoln lineup that were supposed to be big improvements.

Again, not as much hype as the Bronco, but this was a pretty high-proflle rollout for them.

When I first saw one of the 2020's on the road, I had to do a double take because I thought it was Land Rover.    But they are earning Fix Or Repair Daily the GM fanboys like to throw at Ford guys when they get into a pissing match about which brand is better.    I recall a few years ago the Explorer Police Cruiser was having issues as well.  

On 7/5/2020 at 6:53 PM, Brew said:

15.3 MPG out of the 3.5 running 75-80 most of the way. It did show 22 for the 40 minute drive to the interstate at 40 or so which was a surprise. I have to make the same trip in a couple of weeks with a trailer. I may see how crappy that is.

19.2 on the return trip in the ‘20. It is crazy how much difference tires make. That is pretty consistent with the ‘17 before tires.

I was thinking about leaving this one stock. However, after driving back it is amazing how much difference a higher end suspension makes. The stock one doesn’t ride near as good. May look at Icons and see what’s available.

4 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

When I first saw one of the 2020's on the road, I had to do a double take because I thought it was Land Rover.    But they are earning Fix Or Repair Daily the GM fanboys like to throw at Ford guys when they get into a pissing match about which brand is better.    I recall a few years ago the Explorer Police Cruiser was having issues as well.  

Yeah, it's sharp looking.  And RWD is huge.  If it weren't such a POS, it would have been on my short list for this year's new vehicle.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2020 at 2:19 PM, HOOKEM4 said:

One of these days, when the 529’s are all sorted, I’m going to join that club.  Well, the wife will. Lucky (hard working) bastards.