Truck Nuts

BurntOrange&White

BTW, installed the Flowmaster cat-back system with the Super 40 on my 2015.  It's not aligning properly, so I need to keep adjusting it.  The drivers side just sticks out too far.  Currently, I'm sliding the passenger side tip out so it somewhat matches, but I hate doing it this way.  If I get everything 100% seated and adjusted, and it's still off, I may just sawzall an inch off the long side.

I was getting an average of 21.3-21.7 mpg on the highway before the exhaust.  Now I'm getting about 22.5.

Edited by Longhorn Al

8 minutes ago, Longhorn Al said:

Anybody have a fix for the Chevy Lean?  My 2002 Silverado leans to the drivers side due to years of both the driver and gas tank being on that side.  Apparently it's a known issue.

I thought changing the leaf springs out would fix it.  I installed some Rough Country lift springs in the back, but it's still leaning.  If it's not a sprung spring, I'm at a loss.

It’s a Tacoma issue as well. When I installed a new suspension, the drivers side front coil over had a small .5 inch spacer, and there was a small shim on the drivers side rear leaf. Fixed my Taco lean. This was all aftermarket stuff, but you may be able to do something similar with stock parts.

On 5/9/2018 at 9:27 PM, Longhorn Al said:

BTW, installed the Flowmaster cat-back system with the Super 40 on my 2015.  It's not aligning properly, so I need to keep adjusting it.  The drivers side just sticks out too far.  Currently, I'm sliding the passenger side tip out so it somewhat matches, but I hate doing it this way.  If I get everything 100% seated and adjusted, and it's still off, I may just sawzall an inch off the long side.

I was getting an average of 21.3-21.7 mpg on the highway before the exhaust.  Now I'm getting about 22.5.

Whatever happened to your IHC rebuild? That's a thread that you should resurrect.

6 hours ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

Whatever happened to your IHC rebuild? That's a thread that you should resurrect.

It's in 3 different places right now due to lack of storage.  But my parents are building a barndominium as we speak, and will have the room to house the Scout. That way I can get it all in one place and work on it.  The last thing that stumped my progress was a bent shackle mount on the frame.  I need it cut off and a new one welded on.  I don't own a welder and have never learned how to weld (something I'd like to learn).  The guy building the barndominium said his guys would do it whenever we want.  That's one problem fixed.

Bought a 2018 Canyon. Too much city driving & tiny parking garage, couldn't justify a full size. Backseat is as much or larger than the backseat of my old SUV. I'm liking it so far. Got the G80 automatic locking diff, and it really does feel more locked in when I was trying to purposefully throw up dirt at the ranch in the loose powder (damn if my place is not already dry as hell and its only May). 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CleverNickname said:

Bought a 2018 Canyon. Too much city driving & tiny parking garage, couldn't justify a full size. Backseat is as much or larger than the backseat of my old SUV. I'm liking it so far. Got the G80 automatic locking diff, and it really does feel more locked in when I was trying to purposefully throw up dirt at the ranch in the loose powder (damn if my place is not already dry as hell and its only May). 

Tell me you got the diesel 

I think you’ll really like the Canyon. I have a Colorado crew with about 30k miles and find it to be a really good mix of capable truck (for off-road driving as well as moderate hauling and towing) and nimble commuter vehicle. Mine has the mini Max diesel - I’ve averaged 28 mpg since I bought it.

5 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

Tell me you got the diesel 

Hell no! I'm cheap as hell. I paid $27k out the door. No way am I paying whatever crazy price they want for those diesel rigs. The fancy pants offroad packages are also of dubious necessity, and I actually do drive off road and have three different rough creek crossings on my property. As it is the tow rating far exceeds what is probably reasonable given the truck (7000 is a load for a midsize seems a recipe for disaster). I got four doors, AC, keyless entry,  cruise control, and an aux jack. I can't fathom needing anything else. Basic transit that can take the kids to school and haul 300 pounds of corn and/or leaking jerry cans of diesel & remedy for the mesquite is all I need. I removed the chinstrap air dam before mile 200, and am good to go. 

9 minutes ago, Amos Moses said:

I think you’ll really like the Canyon. I have a Colorado crew with about 30k miles and find it to be a really good mix of capable truck (for off-road driving as well as moderate hauling and towing) and nimble commuter vehicle. Mine has the mini Max diesel - I’ve averaged 28 mpg since I bought it.

Don't get me wrong, I think the diesel is cool as hell. Doesn't diesel store a super long time? I'd be tempted to have some kind of rad external tank in the bed, just for the notion of being able to cross the zombie apocalypse strewn wasteland without ever having to fuel up. Did you keep your air dam on? 

No worries. I’m a sucker for cool engines and this diesel is still impressing me after almost 2 years. Air dam is still intact - but I put a mild lift and bigger tires on to raise the clearance. It may come off after my warranty expires and I buy a tune to delete the DPF system.

14 hours ago, Longhorn Al said:

It's in 3 different places right now due to lack of storage.  But my parents are building a barndominium as we speak, and will have the room to house the Scout. That way I can get it all in one place and work on it.  The last thing that stumped my progress was a bent shackle mount on the frame.  I need it cut off and a new one welded on.  I don't own a welder and have never learned how to weld (something I'd like to learn).  The guy building the barndominium said his guys would do it whenever we want.  That's one problem fixed.

Nice. I was hoping that it wasn't abandoned. I just started a rebuild of my '75 IHC 200 3/4 ton 4x4. My wife wants me to restore it to look like her Fathers truck but the regular cab is shot. I have a Travelette body(four door crew cab) but the frame is too short to have much of a flat bed or box if I go that route. I'm scouring craigslist and IH clubs to find replacement sheet metal to take it back to original. I also have a '73 Travellall with straight tin but I would have to shorten the frame of the 200 to crash the two together. Decisions, decisions. I retire in September so I have several projects to keep me busy.

I still have a few Scout parts laying around and have a couple of collectors in the area. When you get back to the rebuild, let me know if there are any parts you need and I might be able to help you out.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

Nice. I was hoping that it wasn't abandoned. I just started a rebuild of my '75 IHC 200 3/4 ton 4x4. My wife wants me to restore it to look like her Fathers truck but the regular cab is shot. I have a Travelette body(four door crew cab) but the frame is too short to have much of a flat bed or box if I go that route. I'm scouring craigslist and IH clubs to find replacement sheet metal to take it back to original. I also have a '73 Travellall with straight tin but I would have to shorten the frame of the 200 to crash the two together. Decisions, decisions. I retire in September so I have several projects to keep me busy.

I still have a few Scout parts laying around and have a couple of collectors in the area. When you get back to the rebuild, let me know if there are any parts you need and I might be able to help you out.

Awesome! Thanks. We'll have to get together. Start the Shaggy IH Club.

Does anyone have any experience adding an aftermarket Air Lift or Rider Right air helper system to the rear suspension of a truck?  I am thinking about buying a bigger boat and I am interested in potentially putting an air helper system in the rear coil springs to prevent rear-end sag and help with towing.  The truck currently does NOT have onboard air.  Looks like you can spend $100 for just two bags, $500 for two bags with more capacity and stainless hardware or $850 for a kit with onboard air and a wireless controller. 

I only plan on keeping the truck for another two years.    

5 hours ago, bigshark88 said:

Does anyone have any experience adding an aftermarket Air Lift or Rider Right air helper system to the rear suspension of a truck?  I am thinking about buying a bigger boat and I am interested in potentially putting an air helper system in the rear coil springs to prevent rear-end sag and help with towing.  The truck currently does NOT have onboard air.  Looks like you can spend $100 for just two bags, $500 for two bags with more capacity and stainless hardware or $850 for a kit with onboard air and a wireless controller. 

Check these out. I put them on my 3/4 ton flatbed and they work great. 

http://timbren.com/timbren-ses/

5 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

4 runner owners option question:

roof rack cross bar worth it?

and running boards or no running boards?

Wife drives a 4 Runner. It has the factory rails that come on the Limited...we've never used it for anything, and it doesn't have the cross bars. Friend that has an SR5 TRD and is big into mountain biking went with the trailer hitch rack because it was much easier to get bikes on and off. 

Wife's has running boards. Neither she or I use them, but the kids (11 yo) use them to step up into the cab. 

• Like 1

On 5/22/2018 at 9:44 AM, bigshark88 said:

I have the airlift 1000. It was pretty easy to install. Took a couple hours and a few beers in the garage one night.
Jack the truck up, put jack stands on the rear frame  to allow your axle to drop and expand the rear coil springs, take your rear tires off and then you use a pry bar or some such to work the air bags between your coils. route you air hoses and your done. Make sure not to use any thing sharp when you are working the bags in

Edited by TXLNGHRN10

Just paid to have the entire leather interior of my King Ranch redone.  That leather looks great brand new but it wears the fuck out fast.  I love my truck, I take very good care of it and with the exception of the seats the truck still looks brand new and have no desire for a new one.  I plan on passing this one down to my son when he is old enough.

I have to laugh about getting this done because I see myself complaining about the leather seats in my truck like that scene in the Jerk where the guy is asking Steve Martin for money needing new leather seats in his plane.

There are a few ways to do  it.  Through the dealership, which will cost a fortune, about $2K per seat.  It will be the actual KR leather which means that the entire seat is all leather, no faux leather.  I priced another guy in Houston and he wanted $1500 for both front seats. and another $1500 for the back.  But I didn't get a good feel that I was getting what I was paying for.  He was wanting to reuse some the King Ranch logos and sew them into the new seats.  

I found a custom shop that will match the leather, etc.  They are a shop that some of the Ford dealers in Houston, Navasota, and College Station send some cloth seated trucks to have leather put in.  So I feel confident it will be done right.  They will not have the embossed King Ranch logos all over the place but it is a perfect match, and cost $1600 for the entire interior.  I went the $1600 route.  I could care less if it says King Ranch everywhere on the seats.  Just needed it redone.  I can post pics after it gets done in a coupe weeks.

Edited by Moby Ric

Purchased the Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Spring Kit from Amazon. Had it professionally installed on a 2010 Dodge Ram yesterday. Can't tell it's there while driving around at the recommended 5psi. Haven't towed the boat with it yet. About $615 purchased and installed. 145035b895449d825de6e6c5da9dfaf4.jpg517f691274b6a018a75521e3442e0a7d.jpg