Truck Nuts

BurntOrange&White

39 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Fucking Ford and this death wobble shit.  Business partner has a 2019 F350 with roughy 45k on it.  Had the death wobble fixed once under warranty.  It's already doing it again and now he's out of warranty.  Is there a permanent fix for this or should we just ditch the truck (it's a company truck) and get a GM?  Not interested in paying several thousand dollars so this can happen again in a year.

Go get the steering stabilizers installed. You’ll be happy. 

9 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Can you point me in the right direction for that?  Like what, exactly, do we need to have installed?

Here you go.  Very common.  Makes all the difference.  

I hit some 70+ mph bumps and semi truck ruts on an asphalt state highway on the way back from Uvalde today.

Without the the steering stabilizers I would have been in a ditch with poopy pants.  

Do it.  

0E04B92E-8282-4511-A7EB-4DC50E9D6797.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TXLNGHRN10 said:

what fox kit did you get?

The front and rear 2.0 kit, it is my 3rd set. There are things I don’t like about them, but the market is pretty thin. I keep the factory front coil overs now in case the front set needs a rebuild before I trade it. The last set on my 2017 started to have some issues at 55k and really could have used a rebuild, but their rebuild process sucks if you don’t have a Fox shop nearby.

3 hours ago, deadshank said:

I hit some 70+ mph bumps and semi truck ruts on an asphalt state highway on the way back from Uvalde today.

Without the the steering stabilizers I would have been in a ditch with poopy pants.  

Do it.  

Thanks.  Is that something the dealer will do, or does anyone have a rec for a good shop in NW Houston?

20 hours ago, Brew said:

What meets the definition of substance for you? Boats most weekends? Cattle at the farm when we go to the sale? I can keep going if it makes you feel better. I’ve been through the reasons in this thread of why I stick with a 1/2 ton, but I’ll make sure to save you a seat at the adult table once you grow past the big boy stage.

I was going full asshole last night. I went with the B&H because I was carrying 4 different hitches of various sizes and drops. I used to have one 2" ball that worked well enough for everything. Now it is a problem as I have a stupid level of trailers I tow often. I like being able to transform the hitch to fit everything. I also like that I don't have to run a sleeve anymore to fit all those old hitches.  

It is about needs and laziness. I will stfu on the topic. I apologize for being a pos.

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Thanks.  Is that something the dealer will do, or does anyone have a rec for a good shop in NW Houston?

Don’t go to a dealer.  Master Hitch in Bellaire on Glenmont. Talk to Scott or Tom (owners and great, honest guys that stand behind their work. ).  They also have a shop in The Woodlands.  

Maybe Discount Hitch at Mangum / 290   

Or American Wheel and Tire on 290 between 34th and Antoine.  Talk to Johnny Phillips.  

Edited by deadshank
Forgot one.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Don’t go to a dealer.  Master Hitch in Bellaire on Glenmont. Talk to Scott or Tom (owners and great, honest guys that stand behind their work. ).  They also have a shop in The Woodlands.  

Or American Wheel and Tire on 290 between 34th and Antoine.  Talk to Johnny Phillips.  
He's taking it to the dealer tomorrow to see if they will take care of it. If not, then we will reach out to another shop. Thanks for the help.

9 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
9 hours ago, deadshank said:

He's taking it to the dealer tomorrow to see if they will take care of it. If not, then we will reach out to another shop. Thanks for the help.

The dealer won’t fix it.  They’ll keep the truck for a half day or so, maybe longer, pop the hood, rattle around and give it back to your partner and call it good.  

The wobble will still be there.   Ford is whistling pass the graveyard.  

5 hours ago, deadshank said:

The dealer won’t fix it.  They’ll keep the truck for a half day or so, maybe longer, pop the hood, rattle around and give it back to your partner and call it good.  

The wobble will still be there.   Ford is whistling pass the graveyard.  

Yeah, he's already talked to them once.  They told him that his rear tires that need to be replaced are the reason the front end feels like it's coming apart.  When he didn't buy that, they said they would take another look.

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

Yeah, he's already talked to them once.  They told him that his rear tires that need to be replaced are the reason the front end feels like it's coming apart.  When he didn't buy that, they said they would take another look.

LOL.  Go get the stabilizers.  Bullets to be bitten. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

So his extended warranty (that he didn't even know he had) is going to cover all the repairs.  I assume we want to put the aftermarket stabilizers on after he gets the truck back?

I would.  Spend the $1500 and never worry about your employee flying into a school bus of children because Ford can't figure out a front end after 118 years.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

So his extended warranty (that he didn't even know he had) is going to cover all the repairs.  I assume we want to put the aftermarket stabilizers on after he gets the truck back?

LOL.  EW covers all repairs?  Including a poor design and factory defect?  Some class-action attorney is going g to get rich and we will get a small-sized bag of peanuts.  

America!!

Edited by deadshank
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

thinking hard about some nitto ridge grapplers, any thoughts ?

heavy hi-way miles in my future 

Some talk about those upthread, or maybe it was on the Taco thread.  That's probably what I'm putting on my Jeep Wrangler when the current tires are done.  

9 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

thinking hard about some nitto ridge grapplers, any thoughts ?

heavy hi-way miles in my future 

Great tire. Quiet, good traction. Mine pick up gravel like a vacuum cleaner though. Way more than the KO2's and Toyos that I've run in the past. So probably not the optimal tire if you are running a lot of gravel roads.

On 3/8/2021 at 1:59 PM, deadshank said:

Do it.  

I wonder if that problem only afflicts the 350s? I've never had a death wobble issue on any of my 250s.

44 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, assuming that door to the right is a double, that is one of the more subtle humblebrags I've seen.

Friend of a friend was in some type of oilfield sales, can’t remember what. Compressors I think.  Anyhow, he always made pretty good money (2-250).  One year, he made about a million buck on bonus and some other stuff, and went and bought a house with a legit 7 car garage. Baller af. Need me one of those years. I specifically remember him being about 20 years younger than all of his neighbors. 

5 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, assuming that door to the right is a double, that is one of the more subtle humblebrags I've seen.

Ha, 4 single doors. I could get 5 vehicles in it pretty easily, any additional would have to go in the boat shop.

D5F54BB6-A16C-49D8-913C-7FF5D9CC2D70.jpeg

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Brew said:

Ha, 4 single doors. I could get 5 vehicles in it pretty easily, any additional would have to go in the boat shop.

D5F54BB6-A16C-49D8-913C-7FF5D9CC2D70.jpeg

Now *this* is how to humble brag.  Awesome place Brew, now post up some pics of the boat shop

Edited by davidg

7 hours ago, davidg said:

Now *this* is how to humble brag.  Awesome place Brew, now post up some pics of the boat shop

It’s pretty empty right now because I haven’t been able to find a replacement.  This is one from a year or so ago. I think i posted some others in the garage thread after it was built. I had it done a couple years ago when you could actually build things reasonably. 60x40, 3 doors, electrical, LED lighting, etc for $40k. There is no telling what it would cost right now.

2143AD61-0025-4659-A9C6-063DB009D4AF.jpeg

Edited by Brew
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

But that's not the same building.  Now you're just bragging!

The garages are just plain garages. The guy before had the back one built because his truck wouldn’t fit in the one attached to the house. It’s an old house so the attached garage is built for 1970’s era British sports cars I think. This is one of the advantages of living in a more rural area outside of TX. Everything is much cheaper.

I’ll take the garage talk to the garage thread, back to trucks.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Brew said:

I’ll take the garage talk to the garage thread, back to trucks.

Wait. We have a garage thread? 

Speaking of garages, and trucks. I got a call from the wife this AM that the 4yo fucked the shit out of her new truck with her bike.  Because “garage isn’t clean”. So if someone can link me to the divorce thread, along with a recommendation for a good paint guy in Houston, I’d appreciate it.  Got that sick to the stomach and pure rage thing going on at the moment. 

Edited by fattyflattie

There was at one point or it may have been a shop thread actually.

Hopefully, it’s minor. My daughter drove her car to a friend’s house the other day and their dog jumped on the side of it. She called freaking out, but polishing compound took care of it for the most part.

20 minutes ago, Brew said:

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Wait. We have a garage thread? 

We have a few.  Here's one about drinking beer in your garage, alone:

And here's one about ideas for building a new garage:

That picture was from a couple of days after I bought this one after busting a rear end in the old one. It took from then until close to year end to get the suspension, bedcover, etc installed because of back orders and shipping delays.

The thread I’m thinking of may be on another site or the old one. There were a number of pictures of different shop/garage setups.

Edited by Brew

5 minutes ago, Brew said:

That picture was from a couple of days after I bought this one after busting a rear end in the old one. It took from then until close to year end to get the suspension, bedcover, etc installed because of back orders and shipping delays.

The thread I’m thinking of may be on another site or the old one. There were a number of pictures of different shop/garage setups.

The DIY thread has some folks who've posted pictures of their shops, as I recall.  But it's definitely a catch-all, tons of other stuff on it, too.

59 minutes ago, Brew said:

Hopefully, it’s minor. My daughter drove her car to a friend’s house the other day and their dog jumped on the side of it. She called freaking out, but polishing compound took care of it for the most part.

It’s past the clear on all of them, one to the metal. Just trying to figure out how many panels it’ll take to blend. 

Pulled the trigger on new tires. Way early but F it, they look great. I start a new job 3/29 and will be tearing up the road, wanted the new tires in place. 

Also got an oil change and they found a blown out rear shock. Now I know that was hearing a weird noise. Monroe shocks. New air filter and wipers too.  

I get my tires at the same place I get my oil change. Just makes it all easier for me and they match discount prices + its great service 

going to order a tailgate mat and bug shield for next week. 

F7A0E0CC-42FD-47AE-8BC9-63246226913A.jpeg

DFDBFFA1-849E-4A92-9E82-116C6E928870.jpeg

51D27888-BE23-43A3-8DAE-253FBBD10A87.jpeg

95B641BF-811D-493E-8BF1-876C7F5377DD.jpeg

Edited by tx 3 putt

13 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

@tx 3 putt those look good.  Interested in how they last, although I think I'll need a new set long before you wear those out. 

I had ridge grapplers (35x12.5) on my previous truck and they still had plenty of tread left after 60K miles. I plan on buying more for the new truck soon.

Forgot to mention, my AT4 came with Goodyear Duratrac Wranglers and they are so loud at 40-60 mph that I'm dumping them early for the RG's which were whisper quiet comparatively.

Edited by TankedBevo
  • Hook 'Em 2