Truck Nuts

BurntOrange&White

16 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Once solid state batteries and their sub-15 minute charge time become available, that’s when the ICE is dead. It wouldn’t be much different than stopping for gas and visiting the shitter.

Agreed. The range is not as important as the recharge time, IMO. 

Sooon.... 

The graphene aluminum-ion battery cells from the Brisbane-based Graphene Manufacturing Group (GMG) are claimed to charge up to 60 times faster than the best lithium-ion cells and hold three time the energy of the best aluminum-based cells.

They are also safer, with no upper Ampere limit to cause spontaneous overheating, more sustainable and easier to recycle, thanks to their stable base materials. Testing also shows the coin-cell validation batteries also last three times longer than lithium-ion versions.

GMG plans to bring graphene aluminum-ion coin cells to market late this year or early next year, with automotive pouch cells planned to roll out in early 2024.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaeltaylor/2021/05/13/ev-range-breakthrough-as-new-aluminum-ion-battery-charges-60-times-faster-than-lithium-ion/?sh=798ad3036d28

• Hook 'Em 2

On 5/22/2021 at 3:03 PM, CooterBrown said:

Once solid state batteries and their sub-15 minute charge time become available, that’s when the ICE is dead. It wouldn’t be much different than stopping for gas and visiting the shitter.

Now imagine inductive chargers imbedded in parking lots.  You just drive up, park, and your car charges while you are shopping or at work.  

On 5/24/2021 at 11:40 AM, dingleberryswitzer said:

Now imagine inductive chargers imbedded in parking lots.  You just drive up, park, and your car charges while you are shopping or at work.  

And work similar to a parking meter that charges for how much juice you use?

Someday that could easily be the case. Although someday is probably a good ways down the road. 

3 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

And work similar to a parking meter that charges for how much juice you use?

Someday that could easily be the case. Although someday is probably a good ways down the road. 

Yea sure.  It could work similar to the toll tags or a NFC or RFID I’d chip.  Ideally then the charging stations would be provided through the power company and directly billed on your power bill.  

Fucking hell, I said numerous times in this thread I would never own another set of Fox shocks. Then I traded last year and the first thing I did was put a 2.0 set on the new truck. Fast forward 7,000 miles and a few months and I started hearing banging from the back of the truck when I hit bumps. Take it in and both rears are blown, I guess from the pictures a page or so back of me using the truck for truck like things. We have to pull them off and send them to Fox to be rebuilt with an unknown timeline, so I have to buy another set of shocks to use while those are with Fox for who knows how long.

41 minutes ago, Brew said:

Fucking hell, I said numerous times in this thread I would never own another set of Fox shocks. Then I traded last year and the first thing I did was put a 2.0 set on the new truck. Fast forward 7,000 miles and a few months and I started hearing banging from the back of the truck when I hit bumps. Take it in and both rears are blown, I guess from the pictures a page or so back of me using the truck for truck like things. We have to pull them off and send them to Fox to be rebuilt with an unknown timeline, so I have to buy another set of shocks to use while those are with Fox for who knows how long.

Ouch.  That sucks.  Just from hauling a skid steer around?

11 hours ago, Brew said:

LOL, well fuck I literally just put the same ones on for the rear on my rig. I have about 5k miles since they were installed but I hope I don't have similar issues.

45 minutes ago, utee94 said:

So what's better than Fox shocks?  I've been thinking about doing something to my stock F150.

Teraflex Falcons are hot but I've read that they ride stiffer than the Fox 2.0's. At least for Jeeps, anyway.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, jofus said:

Some are adding to MSRP.

Insane.

A specific Chevy 2500 I saw was listed at $64k used for LTZ and a new comparable model was $67k. At that point why not just fork over the extra $3k and take the vehicle with 20kish fewer miles.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Insane.

A specific Chevy 2500 I saw was listed at $64k used for LTZ and a new comparable model was $67k. At that point why not just fork over the extra $3k and take the vehicle with 20kish fewer miles.

Now you're seeing what Tacoma and 4Runner owners have been dealing with for the last 10+ years.

4 minutes ago, texashorne said:

I was strongly considering a buying new truck this August. The model I wanted was pushing 60k back in February/March, now they are over 70k. 

Instead, I'm thinking I can put down 25% toward an investment property. 

Real estate is going up in price faster than cars are...

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Insane.

This has been going on for awhile, but has gone into overdrive in last 12 months or so. Apparently there’s a lot of people that can afford 60k, but not 70.    I can’t tell you how many trucks I’ve seen for mid 60’s, with 90-95k miles, that were 70-ish brand new.   I’ve decided to keep mine for a few more years.  I don’t think they’ll go down in price by then, but I don’t really need it right now.  Might as well keep the money working somewhere in the meantime. 

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

correct, no remote reservoir = zero bro cred 

I was just kidding, sort of.  They are quality, or used to be. But so are Bilsteins.  I should not speak on it though.  I don’t ever replace mine.  

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

No remote reservoir means no bro cred, for starters.  You also won’t have the pleasure of sending them in to be rebuilt at 50k miles (or 7k). 

2.0’s don’t have a remote reservoir, 2.5’s do. The issue with Fox’s/Icon’s etc are that you really need someone local that does rebuilds to keep them any length. They require rebuilds at max 50k miles (40k on Icons) and if you have to send them off they can keep them for weeks. The last set I had was a cluster because the fronts went early and now this shit with the rears blowing at 7,000 miles. I prefer the ride quality on the performance shocks, but I’m going to look for other options. Luckily my shop still had my rears, so he put them back on which saved me some dollars. 

My main issue with Fox is their customer service sucks donkey balls. He called yesterday and they just said pull them off and send them back and we’ll get to them when we can. He asked them to send out a replacement set since the mileage was so low and they wouldn’t even consider it.

29 minutes ago, williemackgarza said:

Im wanting a new f150 platinum. Not many black exterior/interior in low 60s riund austin. Shits crazy.
Anyone bought outta state then brought back? How do taxes work?

I bought in Montana, signed a doc saying it would be registered out of state, and paid my tax and registration in Wyoming.  Can’t imagine why it would be any more complicated for other states. 

I bought in Montana, signed a doc saying it would be registered out of state, and paid my tax and registration in Wyoming.  Can’t imagine why it would be any more complicated for other states. 
Yep. Sales tax is based on where you register the car, not where you buy it.

7 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

6 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
7 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Shark Tank Writing GIF

9 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
9 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

This.  I bought a new truck in Bartlesville, OK over internet in 1998.  Flew up there, signed the docs in 20 min and drove back to Tx.  Took the MSO to the tax office and paid the tax in TX to get it registered.  These days you would also need to get it inspected in you county first.

• 3 weeks later...

If I buy, say, a 2009ish F250 and sit it in my driveway... only using it on the weekends for fishing / hunting /hauling: will it fall apart on me?

Thinking about selling my off road Wrangler, my 2018 Tundra, and leasing an actual car. The plan would also involve buying an older F250 for hunting and fishing.

Just getting tired of my boat hauler, half-ton sized pickup as my daily driver.

18 minutes ago, bigshark88 said:

If I buy, say, a 2009ish F250 and sit it in my driveway... only using it on the weekends for fishing / hunting /hauling: will it fall apart on me?

Thinking about selling my off road Wrangler, my 2018 Tundra, and leasing an actual car. The plan would also involve buying an older F250 for hunting and fishing.

Just getting tired of my boat hauler, half-ton sized pickup as my daily driver.

A 2009, yes.  An 11, no. 

On 5/26/2021 at 3:30 PM, Brew said:

2.0’s don’t have a remote reservoir, 2.5’s do. The issue with Fox’s/Icon’s etc are that you really need someone local that does rebuilds to keep them any length. They require rebuilds at max 50k miles (40k on Icons) and if you have to send them off they can keep them for weeks. The last set I had was a cluster because the fronts went early and now this shit with the rears blowing at 7,000 miles. I prefer the ride quality on the performance shocks, but I’m going to look for other options. Luckily my shop still had my rears, so he put them back on which saved me some dollars. 

My main issue with Fox is their customer service sucks donkey balls. He called yesterday and they just said pull them off and send them back and we’ll get to them when we can. He asked them to send out a replacement set since the mileage was so low and they wouldn’t even consider it.

Ended up chunking the Fox shocks. After going in circles with customer service, the best they would do was give them my credit card info, send them the shocks, and they would evaluate whether a rebuild would work. If so, they would charge my card for that. If not, they would ship a new set and charge my card for that. They would it call and discuss the options. The shop is trying to get me to go to airbags, I think I’m going to throw some Bilstein’s on the rear and see how they tow.

On 1/31/2019 at 11:37 AM, Cajun said:

I want the Ridges for the look, but am figuring I should probably go Terras for the ride.

Thoughts?

I don't forsee much off-roading in this thing, just towing a wakeboard boat around CENTEX.

I don't know though, I may get out to Discount and look at the Ridges and just say "fuck it, slap 'em on!"  I'm stupid that way.

What did you end up with? I need new tires and due to a mess up by discount, the Toyo's I ordered a week and a half ago are gone into the ether. Evidently you cannot find the size I want. It looks like I will have to settle for the Nitto Terra G2. Is this something I am going to ragret?

13 hours ago, T-shirt Sip said:

Can I get some recs for some moderately priced retractable bed covers? Much appreciated. 

I’m on my 3rd Undercover Ultraflex with zero complaints.I prefer that style over the retractable versions.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Brew said:

I’m on my 3rd Undercover Ultraflex with zero complaints.I prefer that style over the retractable versions.

I put a UC Flex on my truck as well. Like it better compared to other tri-fold's as when it's folded up it has it's own arm supports to keep it off the back of the cab.

4.5 years, no complaints.

1 hour ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Any idea why a Ranger can tow up to 7500 but the Bronco only 3500?  Arent they they same frame and drivetrains?  I know towing is not the main purpose of Broncos but that’s pretty weak.  

Because they came to their senses after the absurd rating on the Ranger?