Truck Nuts

BurntOrange&White

21 hours ago, Bevo VIII said:

Torn on if I want a full size truck or a Jeep Wrangler unlimited

I DD a full size truck and drive a Jeep on the weekends. If I had a Jeep as a DD I’d want a hard top which kills the fun and ease of taking the top off. If I was going to do a hard top Jeep I’d just get a 4Runner and be done with it. 

I DD a full size truck and drive a Jeep on the weekends. If I had a Jeep as a DD I’d want a hard top which kills the fun and ease of taking the top off. If I was going to do a hard top Jeep I’d just get a 4Runner and be done with it. 

It would be a hard top jeep anyway. But I feel like I could get more features out of a Jeep and have something a tad more manly than a 4Runner for a cheaper price.

2 hours ago, Bevo VIII said:

It would be a hard top jeep anyway. But I feel like I could get more features out of a Jeep and have something a tad more manly than a 4Runner for a cheaper price.

Have you priced out Jeeps? I know the Rubicon’s can get pretty pricey but haven’t looked at the other models; our Jeep is older. I was surprised at how reasonable the 4runners were when we were looking last year. The TRD package 4Runners with some BFG AT KO2s are pretty aggressive especially with a small lift. 

Edited by Archer

It's the subtleties that make me lol the most.  Like the fact that a person went through the trouble of repositioning the license plate (how many cars you see with a hitch bike or cargo rack that covers the plate? ) plus the tennis balls on the tips make me believe someone already got impaled. 

Edited by dingleberryswitzer
Lol

51 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Is there a product out there that you can put in the gap between the tailgate and the bed, when the tailgate is down?  Sometimes I get loads of mulch or dirt and it always gets in the crack and is a pain in the ass to get out.

User name checks out.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Is there a product out there that you can put in the gap between the tailgate and the bed, when the tailgate is down?  Sometimes I get loads of mulch or dirt and it always gets in the crack and is a pain in the ass to get out.

Try 7 or 8 of your tampons. 

Tell me if I'm over thinking this, I need to haul 2 12' 2x6s in my 5.5 bed from Austin to Lake LBJ. I was going to use my 12 foot extension ladder with the tailgate down as the base to secure it, bad idea? I guess I could always buy a bed extender from Harbor Freight, but I'd rather not.

49 minutes ago, Yarbr said:

Tell me if I'm over thinking this, I need to haul 2 12' 2x6s in my 5.5 bed from Austin to Lake LBJ. I was going to use my 12 foot extension ladder with the tailgate down as the base to secure it, bad idea? I guess I could always buy a bed extender from Harbor Freight, but I'd rather not.

17 hours ago, Yarbr said:

Try 7 or 8 of your tampons. 

• Like 1

My '06 F150 Lariat Super Crew 4x4 is getting a bit long in the tooth with 160,000 miles on it now, and is starting to five hundred dollar me to death. I'm probably going to replace it by the end of the year. I usually look for a 1 or 2 model year old CPO vehicle with 30ish thousand miles or less. Right now the leader in the clubhouse is the Tundra, but I also like the Rams with the 5.7 Hemi. I love the look of the new F150s, but I don't want an Eco-Boost, and my buddy with the new 5.0 engine doesn't like it. My neighbor recently bought a new Nissan Titan XD with the 5.0 Diesel, and he raves about it but I have yet to read a good review from the automotive press. Anyone here driving one?  

Newest member of the family:

28906586058_960211d97d_z.jpg

2018 F150 Lariat 4x4 V-8 502A FX4 Magnetic ext. /Medium Earth Gray int.  My first Ford; it impressed me and made me switch from GM.

I'm looking at retractable tonneau covers - Roll N Lock and Retrax.  Which would y'all recommend of the two, or others?  TIA.

Edited by solamente73
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, solamente73 said:

Newest member of the family:

28906586058_960211d97d_z.jpg

2018 F150 Lariat 4x4 V-8 502A FX4 Magnetic ext. /Medium Earth Gray int.  My first Ford; it impressed me and made me switch from GM.

I'm looking at retractable tonneau covers - Roll N Lock and Retrax.  Which would y'all recommend of the two, or others?  TIA.

Have that exact truck (2015).  FX4.  502A.  Even the color.  Went with the Bakflip MX4.  One thing I found out the hard way, the panels are soft aluminum.  Even minor hail has it looking like my wife's ass....like it was beat with a bag of nickles.  Not sure how the retractable ones fare.  So...anyone want a functional, but beat up bed cover?  Or a wife with a dimply ass?  Both are negotiable.  

*And ditch those stock 275/50/20 OEM tires.  Went with 275/65/20's and leveled her out.  Sits up a little higher.  Better profile.  Mileage loss was minor.  Maybe 1-2 mpg combined.

Edited by BabaYaga

26 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Have that exact truck (2015).  FX4.  502A.  Even the color.  Went with the Bakflip MX4.  One thing I found out the hard way, the panels are soft aluminum.  Even minor hail has it looking like my wife's ass....like it was beat with a bag of nickles.  Not sure how the retractable ones fare.  So...anyone want a functional, but beat up bed cover?  Or a wife with a dimply ass?  Both are negotiable.  

*And ditch those stock 275/50/20 OEM tires.  Went with 275/65/20's and leveled her out.  Sits up a little higher.  Better profile.  Mileage loss was minor.  Maybe 1-2 mpg combined.

But did you readjust your speedo for the tire size difference?  

9 hours ago, Bert Orange said:

Retractables - eat up box real estate

flips - can kill rear vision in up position

roll ups - as mentioned above, have weak mini panels that show wear/dents easily

I figure if I need the flip to be all the way back and up, I’m probably not seeing out the back anyway. 

On 5/22/2018 at 3:43 PM, Pescado_Rojo said:

Wife drives a 4 Runner. It has the factory rails that come on the Limited...we've never used it for anything, and it doesn't have the cross bars. Friend that has an SR5 TRD and is big into mountain biking went with the trailer hitch rack because it was much easier to get bikes on and off. 

Wife's has running boards. Neither she or I use them, but the kids (11 yo) use them to step up into the cab. 

Best use I have found for the tube style running boards is for parking. It now takes an SUV to door ding the truck. All car doors knock straight into boards (tube). 

At the local HEB proving grounds the colors of paint tell the tale. Just don’t park next to SUVs or trucks. 

Worth it. 

Test driving '18 Tundras after work today, still trying to decide on if I want a loaded out TX Edition SR5 or the Limited.  Requirements are the big V8, tow package, 4x4. . . highest and best use will be boat pulling, beach driving (chasing trout in the surf) and home improvement stuff. .  .I don't really NEED a 4x4, but I've never had one. 

Who on here drives the Tundra, and is there anything I'm not considering that I should?

Edited by BearSchlong

What kind of wheels/tires? I almost bought one of those, that factory package is less than the port installed TSS package.

Just rolled into the driveway in a new SR5 Texas Edition. I didn't need 4wd. Silver color. Very happy with the purchase. About $14K less than the platinum and the only real difference is no leather or sunroof.

My good friend was the salesperson, first thing he did was remove the price on all the dealer installed options (paint sealant!) and other bullshit and I thought he was very candid with me. He knew I didn't come prepared to buy so there was no pressure, I walked in with an idea of what I was prepared to pay and he was significantly beneath that line. So I feel good.

Best part is i have unlimited lifetime full service car washes/vacuuming and I live 1/3 mile from the dealership.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

I have a ‘17 TRD Pro. It’s pretty basic on the inside package. The 1794’s have a really nice interior. The back end has a bit of a squish to it when towing. I hate the Entune system, but I make due.

what don't you like about the Etune system? 

It’s not updated to work well with the IPhone X. With my last IPhone, it would read my texts to me. Also, it doesn’t automatically log me in every time, even if I hit allow. Minor things over all, but irritating to me.

Other than that, I love my truck. I want to get wider tires for it, but that’s about it.

2 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Mrs Rojo has Etune on her 4Runner and has the same complaint. She has to sync it every time she wants to listen to iTunes playlists in the car. 

ETA she has an iPhone 7 currently. 

Can bypass this step by plugging in the phone to the USB port directly, no need to establish a connection or enter login on the Etunes app.

More water resistant than waterproof.  I have a Bakflip on my Tacoma and will get a little bit of water in the bed if I drive in the rain.  My buddies that have the clamshell tilt ups also get a little water in the bed when they drive in the rain.

• Like 1