Truck Nuts

BurntOrange&White

8 hours ago, mbtex said:

Had the same in green. Was my favorite truck until some ahole ran into me and totaled it. Where did you find it?

Fort Worth. I'm finally getting the last of the fluids changed (never trust the previous owner). Got some upholstery tears fixed. Replacing and fixing bits and pieces here and there. Corrected the paint as much as I can. The goal was to have a truck to teach my teenage son how to do drive a MT and learn basic repairs and maintenance. It's been pretty solid so far.

• Like 1

Tell me about the 6.0 liter Powerstroke (2005)....

Bought an Excursion back in December to haul kids/gear around last November. I’ve put about 8k miles on it since, mostly road trips. I’m looking to bulletproof it as I can’t take my eyes off the EOT/ECT temps whenever I’m on a road trip and want to be confident that it won’t break down 500 miles from home with my family having to miss out on a vacation. Right now it’s my daily driver, but I have a 2014 F250 in the garage as a back up, so putting the Excursion in the shop for a few weeks isn’t an issue.

Has anyone done work on their 6L? If so, what are the most important components to beef up? I plan on keeping the rig for a long rime and don’t mind putting money into it so I don’t have to worry about blowing an oil cooler at an inopportune time.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might I recommend another forum for that technical of a question: https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/.

I know the studs need to be replaced, EGR modifications, exhaust, etc.  And a programmer.  But I'd invest some time in research, as well as getting a damn good mechanic with experience around the 6.0.  I looked around for a long time before modding my 6.4L, and am definitely thankful I did.  I don't drive it like a bat out of hell, so I didn't need to go all out, but straight pipe, tune, and she runs like a top at this point.  Emphasis on the tune, because you can make or break an engine with the right tune.

10 hours ago, tequila said:

Tell me about the 6.0 liter Powerstroke (2005)....

Bought an Excursion back in December to haul kids/gear around last November. I’ve put about 8k miles on it since, mostly road trips. I’m looking to bulletproof it as I can’t take my eyes off the EOT/ECT temps whenever I’m on a road trip and want to be confident that it won’t break down 500 miles from home with my family having to miss out on a vacation. Right now it’s my daily driver, but I have a 2014 F250 in the garage as a back up, so putting the Excursion in the shop for a few weeks isn’t an issue.

Has anyone done work on their 6L? If so, what are the most important components to beef up? I plan on keeping the rig for a long rime and don’t mind putting money into it so I don’t have to worry about blowing an oil cooler at an inopportune time.

Thanks in advance.

If you're in Houston (acutally, they just moved to Cypress), look up Powerstroke Magic.  They're a shop that only works on Powerstrokes (duh).  They bulletproofed my 05.  At a minimum, I think you need an EGR delete.  The way they do it, it looks like it's still there in case you get some uppity inspection guy.  ARP headstuds are also a must if you run any kind of a tuner/chip. I had three oil cooler failures before I decided to spend the money and delete it. 

If you're in Houston (acutally, they just moved to Cypress), look up Powerstroke Magic.  They're a shop that only works on Powerstrokes (duh).  They bulletproofed my 05.  At a minimum, I think you need an EGR delete.  The way they do it, it looks like it's still there in case you get some uppity inspection guy.  ARP headstuds are also a must if you run any kind of a tuner/chip. I had three oil cooler failures before I decided to spend the money and delete it. 

Thanks for the response. Are head studs necessary if it’s not going to be chipped?

I'm no expert by any means, but I don't think so. It's the oil cooler that's going to strand you.  If the previous owner didn't use a tuner, the head bolts and gasket should be OK.  I also put a coolant filter system on mine.  Simple install.  I sold the truck about five years ago so I haven't thought about any of this in a while.  Let me see if I can dig up some old records.

I'm reading back through some old forums and I'm getting PTSD remembering everything I did to my truck!

Edited by Lat22

39 minutes ago, tequila said:

Thanks for the response. Are head studs necessary if it’s not going to be chipped?

I would do the head studs.  If you plan on keeping that 6.0 for a long time it will be worth it.  It isn't cheap...  Put a mild tune on it and you will get a little boost in power and better fuel mileage.  

^^^ That shit hits close to home.  Was on vacation last year when we got the call our HP Fuel Pump went out, turbo internals were bent.  They cab-offed it and replaced them, and you're looking at a good 2K for the cab-off at a minimum at stealerships.  I'm still pissed at my service rep since she never sent me pics of it in the air.  

A month later, yanked the DPF and cats, straight pipe, and mild tune.  Defuel only set to 2, so no Dodge-level smoke trails.  I still suspect the clogged DPF caused excessive back pressure, which led to regens about every 200 miles.  The extra diesel found its way into the oil pan, and BOOM, oil overfill, limp mode, and some other bullshit with the HP Fuel Pump.

2 hours ago, PvilleStang said:

The extra diesel found its way into the oil pan, and BOOM, oil overfill, limp mode, and some other bullshit with the HP Fuel Pump.

That's typically (but not always) an injector issue...

I remember the 6.0's having turbo problems, they introduced the variable pitch turbo on that motor, as well as injector issues, but that may have only been the 03 models. Last Ford I owned was the original 7.3 powerstroke (had 2 of those actually) and I haven't really trusted them since. In the ohl fill we had all 3 kinds and had emissions issues with all of them, but injector probs w/ Cummins (plus a thrown rod @ 125k) and Ford/Navistar. The 15-16 Duramax trucks we had "only" had emissions related issues.

My sled is 05 f350.

Egr delete.
Upgraded oil cooler.
Studs replaced.
4" exhaust.
Blue spring upgrade.
Stand pipe and plugs upgraded.
Oil bypass filter.
Coolant bypass filter.
Injectors rebuilt.

I did everything myself except the exhaust and studs. I am actually replacing the u joints right now. I am no expert but i can tell ya a thing or two about these rides.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, RowdyVic said:

My sled is 05 f350.

Egr delete.
Upgraded oil cooler.
Studs replaced.
4" exhaust.
Blue spring upgrade.
Stand pipe and plugs upgraded.
Oil bypass filter.
Coolant bypass filter.
Injectors rebuilt.

I did everything myself except the exhaust and studs. I am actually replacing the u joints right now. I am no expert but i can tell ya a thing or two about these rides.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

That list takes me back. I can’t remember exactly what the blue spring upgrade was, but I remember that I did it. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in the market to upgrade trucks. I'm looking at Lariats and the new ones start out at 45k here in Oklahoma. I'd like to get a slightly used one but the prices aren't much lower, plus the 18s have the new 10 speed transmission. I'm not sure the dealers will come down much from 45k, but I'll admit I'm not a master negotiator, either. I do OK but I'm not sure I could get much more from them. Am I naïve to think there's not much meat left on the bone at 45k? TrueCar has 44k or less as "exceptional", for example.

I am in a hurry...milking the rental car game through insurance (see pics above of my now totaled 2014 Sierra) but the gig is about up and I need some normalcy and not bouncing between rental car (when I have my kids) and my ‘89 Chevy single cab (when I don’t).

Think I’ve narrowed it down to a Sierra 1500 SLT or F150 Lariat

Would be open to buying used but not sure I’m going to find exactly what I want.

When do the rebates really start happening on the 2018s?

I bought my 2014 right around this exact same time of year 4 years ago as the 2015s were starting to arrive (sept 10 to be exact)...that seemed to be a good time to balance decent selection with decent rebates.

At this point, I need to buy something within the next 7-10 days so I guess my decision is really down to taking current rebates set to expire on Labor Day or wait and see what comes out the day after? (2014 I recall some sort of new NFL season promotion GMC was doing the week between Labor Day and first NFL Sunday)

• Like 1

On 8/29/2018 at 12:22 AM, UTexasFight said:

I am in a hurry...milking the rental car game through insurance (see pics above of my now totaled 2014 Sierra) but the gig is about up and I need some normalcy and not bouncing between rental car (when I have my kids) and my ‘89 Chevy single cab (when I don’t).

Think I’ve narrowed it down to a Sierra 1500 SLT or F150 Lariat

Would be open to buying used but not sure I’m going to find exactly what I want.

When do the rebates really start happening on the 2018s?

I bought my 2014 right around this exact same time of year 4 years ago as the 2015s were starting to arrive (sept 10 to be exact)...that seemed to be a good time to balance decent selection with decent rebates.

At this point, I need to buy something within the next 7-10 days so I guess my decision is really down to taking current rebates set to expire on Labor Day or wait and see what comes out the day after? (2014 I recall some sort of new NFL season promotion GMC was doing the week between Labor Day and first NFL Sunday)

If you’re in Centex, my go to is Covert in Bastrop. Recently my buddy got Covert and Chuck Nash in San Marcos playing off each other and he got an SLT down all the way to 39900

• Like 1

‘17 F150 had an oil leak so I dropped it off at the dealership last week. They finally call me back early this week and have determined that the oil pan had warped. That seems strange to me, so I google it and find that it is a fairly commonly known problem at this point because they have gone to a composite oil pan. That just seems like a strange plan for something on the bottom of a hot engine full of hot oil but I didn’t go to engineering school past the first year either.

This is after going through the issue on my ‘15 with the plastic gears in the front axle shearing. What ever happened to good old fashioned metal?

Edited by Brew

On 9/1/2018 at 7:53 PM, UTexasFight said:

Ended up settling on a used one very similar to my 2014 gray Sierra
This one is a 2015.
Part of me was proud I relied on my ‘89 Silverado to get me to the dealership:

58c07a1b8bd63705965b5897fc6413c6.jpg

Nice. I traded in my 14 Silverado LT for a 17 LTZ Z-71 4x4 fully loaded with the 8 speed. Love it 

5 hours ago, BearSchlong said:
On 8/31/2018 at 8:44 AM, Pato del Muerto said:
Metal is heavy, and there’s fuel economy standards to hit. 

Which is why I bought my obsolete, fuel guzzling 2018 tundra with the 5.7 because when you have the Prius in your fleet. . .

Almost 30k miles after a year and a lifetime 14.7 MPG. I think Ford wasted their time with plastic stuff. 

5 hours ago, BearSchlong said:
On 8/31/2018 at 8:44 AM, Pato del Muerto said:
Metal is heavy, and there’s fuel economy standards to hit. 

Which is why I bought my obsolete, fuel guzzling 2018 tundra with the 5.7 because when you have the Prius in your fleet. . .

A friend of mine leased a hybrid Camry for his work car a couple years ago. He did the deal in December, and got a ridiculous deal because they had to sell x number of hybrids to meet their economy standards because they had sold so many Tundras. 

After flirting with the Powerstroke F150 and the Raptor, I went back to what I’ve had in the past (99 and 05). This was the GM’s demo and he already had it upfitted exactly the way I would have done it (leveled with bigger BFG ATs). Really thinking about a bed cover for the first time. Right now leaning towards the Retrax Pro MX.

ef6e2c96a7ae778bc41e8ca0b97b8288.jpg

• Like 9

On 7/30/2018 at 11:53 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

16a63c7.png

1zbyute.jpg

o5at5j.jpg

2dk0j1x.jpg

both air bags, totaled cab

props to the fireman who brought me my black longhorn emblem and mudflap

* I was stopped for a good 30 seconds right in front of the red explorer, notice the absence of skid marks, no brakes.  God bless Toyota

40 days and back today. Had the rental 20 days less than the truck total. Lol. Fucking cabs man, and shocker...still have not accepted liability 

After flirting with the Powerstroke F150 and the Raptor, I went back to what I’ve had in the past (99 and 05). This was the GM’s demo and he already had it upfitted exactly the way I would have done it (leveled with bigger BFG ATs). Really thinking about a bed cover for the first time. Right now leaning towards the Retrax Pro MX.

Gawd I love those front ends...those lightssss.

CLEAN AF
  • Like 1

Gorgeous truck, @Lat22.  

I finally pulled the trigger on a new truck.  Ordered a 2019 F350 two weeks ago.  Similar color scheme.  Should be here in November or December.  Already looking into the leveling kit and larger BFG-ATs.  I'm torn on the retractable bed cover.  I use the bed of my truck enough for large things that I think it would just get in the way or get damaged.  I haul lumber, steel, stone, feed.  I'm afraid it would be more of a hinderance.  Plus, I went with the 8' bed and I'll probably put a headache rack and tool box on it.  Anyone have any input on yes or no on that front?

I've driven the wheels off my 2004 F150.  Bought it used in 2007 with 35K miles.  I put 30K miles on it between 2007-2013.  I had a company truck, so this was my weekend truck to run to the coast, hunting trips, etc.  Started my own business in 2013, and since then, I've put 165K miles on it.  235K miles total now.  Just rebuilt the transmission and put new shoes on her.  AC freezes up after an hour or so, but otherwise, she runs like a top.  Retiring her to the ranch this winter, and she'll officially become a ranch truck.  

If you’re running that many miles, put a legitimate leveling kit on it instead of the block kit everyone runs around here. I went with a Fox kit and it is night and day different in ride/drive quality. The guy that did it said it was his 2nd/3rd Fox kit versus doing a block kit almost daily.

On September 8, 2018 at 8:43 AM, Brew said:

If you’re running that many miles, put a legitimate leveling kit on it instead of the block kit everyone runs around here. I went with a Fox kit and it is night and day different in ride/drive quality. The guy that did it said it was his 2nd/3rd Fox kit versus doing a block kit almost daily.

Thanks for the advice.  A good friend owns a truck accessory shop, so I'll make sure to mention this to him.  Literally taking the truck straight from the dealership there to get a few bells and whistles added.

Fn NICE!

Ford guys: what's the trim / package level you have to get to in order to get those C-clamp headlights on the F250?
  • Like 1