The Stevie Ray Vaughan Thread

Hornius Emeritus

You're welcome.

I don't have the foggiest idea wtf guitar that is, and the backline looks all fucked up too (I see the Dumble, but that's about it.)

Doesn't matter.  Whatever his hands touch turns to soul stirring blues.

Johnny Copeland, Houston's native son, destroys some shit too.

EDIT: Ah, Charley.  Always thought Charley was just a Strat with a hula girl image, some lipsticks, standard saddles, etc.  Nope.  Full on custom.  This must be before the hula girl.

Edited by BoomMF
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 7/19/2018 at 6:16 PM, Anton Chigurh said:

Details?

If this didn't already get answered, it was sort of hinted at in Joe Nick Patoski and Bill Crawford's biography of SRV-- the Vaughans were going to tour behind Family Style, in Stevie's case without Double Trouble. The book doesn't say anything more about their plans beyond that, but there's a light implication that Jimmie didn't want the record and tour to just be a one-off so who knows what might have evolved from that.

Edited by SwanderedTalent

I feel blessed to see this Dude live three different times. 1st time at the Sam Houston Coliseum in the mid 80's, again in Chicago a few years later and the late 80's in San Francisco. Always delivered. Remember shortly after the San Fran concert, he was down in LA on Westwood one. He was asked how he got his sound. He said his amp was broken and he used duck tape to fix it. Like real Texan. 

I don’t think anyone has commented on what an excellent blues vocalist he was. That’s the area where he clearly dominates Hendrix. It’s one thing to be able to play the guitar, but his voice complimented it perfectly.

I love the story about Clapton hearing Stevie for the first time too.

• 3 months later...

This is from the rehearsals for Bowie's "Serious Moonlight" tour in 83.  Off all the songs, this is my favorite.  Love has SRV NAILED the key change at 2:10.  For someone who really wasn't familiar with Bowie's music.....he nailed it.  Even when he screws up during the rehearsals, it is incredible.  

• 3 months later...
On 11/27/2018 at 5:34 PM, SwanderedTalent said:

If this didn't already get answered, it was sort of hinted at in Joe Nick Patoski and Bill Crawford's biography of SRV-- the Vaughans were going to tour behind Family Style, in Stevie's case without Double Trouble. The book doesn't say anything more about their plans beyond that, but there's a light implication that Jimmie didn't want the record and tour to just be a one-off so who knows what might have evolved from that.

Why would he tour without Double Trouble?   Would the goal have been to have a bigger sound?

6 hours ago, Macanudo said:

Why would he tour without Double Trouble?   Would the goal have been to have a bigger sound?

The book doesn't explain it in any detail, but the implication was that it was meant to be entirely distinct from their existing acts. They'd have a different backing band so as to avoid any confusion-- it wasn't going to be "Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble featuring Jimmie Vaughan", which, even if you didn't bill it that way, is how it would have seemed to have Double Trouble on stage w/both of them.

Here is a screenshot of the paragraph in question:

imgur

Edited by SwanderedTalent

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

What an interesting version. That band takes all of Double Trouble’s swing out and just plays it straight but it still works.

Whoever said it was right: Stevie didn’t play, he channeled. Just bars and bars of straight passion.

Yeah, it's close, but they pushed the tempo a bit, and Omar Hakim, as fantastic as he is, plays just a bit more on top of the beat than Chris Layton does.  Hakim's also a little busier.  I think the main difference is in the bass -- Sanborn's guy is just very straight up, whereas Tommy Shannon has a deeper tone and groove.

I love that Hiram Bullock pulled out a beat to shit Strat.

Thanks for the comment.   I figured it was something to do with having a different sound than either did with their own bands.

I got to see Stevie at Aqua Fest and I regret that it was the only time.   My friends were all done for the day after drinking and being in the sun.   I stayed and enjoyed the hell out of it. 

• 1 month later...
How have I never heard this before?  Stevie with a band from HS channeling UK psych rock:
[/url]  

Coming back to this, and cross posting from the vinyl thread, I came across a small piece of music history today.

I’m leaving the whole post in case anyone wasn’t aware of the backstory to these songs.

I went to the DFW Record Show in Hurst. You can usually find some good stuff there, you just gotta find the right seller.

I was browsing and found a guy that had some great prices, and grabbed some cheap stuff from him (Dylan’s first album in mono, Night Train, Getz/Gilberto, Brubeck Outer Space), and then I saw something that nearly made me shit.

This is a collection of local bands in DFW that I were picked to have a few songs recorded and put on a compilation LP.

The guy who plays Ned Ryerson in Groundhog Day was in a band called Cast of Thousands, and they had a mutual friend who knew some kid named Steve Vaughan. He was invited to play with the band for these sessions and this they are SRV’s first ever recordings.

This is a ridiculously rare and expensive record (Discogs currently has 2, priced at about $800 and $1100 USD; both are in Europe, and apparently a local store sold a sealed copy on eBay for a grand), and something I never thought I would own. This guy had two of them somehow. He actually had upgraded his copy to a NM one, and wanted his others to go to good homes.

I bought nicer of the two for a song, and it included the poster as well. I had previously only listened to the two Cast Of Thousands tracks, but the others were all surprisingly decent as well.

Here’s some photos:

a90996e648f7ef046c65a167babef72a.jpg

a6405532aaad48ec40f2c8530ed053a0.jpg

1317a1934d39bcaebda69756d3e5635a.jpg

de8e914f4b4983dc8c0a66d6be91ff0b.jpg

c87a22d0d514e6fce1e684ed6b488faf.jpg

7492ba4d481de62f3bf9cedd0f0d0f95.jpg

Mr “Steve Vaughan” is sitting in the above photo.

Here’s an interview with Stephen Tobolowsky about it (he says Stevie was 14 at the time, but he was really either 16 or 17):

https://youtu.be/AVV5aHgDFAc

Discogs link.

• Like 6

Is honey "better" than sugar? Is coffee "better" than beer? Let's just leave "better" out of it. Jimmy was/is a master of a style which previously was the sole ("soul") style of older black players, much like Bill Campbell, a white boy who you would swear was black if you closed your eyes. The phrasing. The turn arounds. The vibrato. The licks. The pulls. Campbell and Jimmy were/are like no other white players, at least none that I know of anyway...Johnny Richardson flirted with that league sometimes. Stevie, I think, could play what Jimmy and Campbell played, but he just had more to say. It's not the same, at all,  and to put one over the other diminishes both. 

Is honey "better" than sugar? Is coffee "better" than beer? Let's just leave "better" out of it. Jimmy was/is a master of a style which previously was the sole ("soul") style of older black players, much like Bill Campbell, a white boy who you would swear was black if you closed your eyes. The phrasing. The turn arounds. The vibrato. The licks. The pulls. Campbell and Jimmy were/are like no other white players, at least none that I know of anyway...Johnny Richardson flirted with that league sometimes. Stevie, I think, could play what Jimmy and Campbell played, but he just had more to say. It's not the same, at all,  and to put one over the other diminishes both. 

30:20 to 33:45ish.

Very few people could play the blues better than bill. I talk to him all the time and the stories are simply amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

I didn't know this, there's a new biography of Stevie coming out next Tuesday (8/13), written by Alex Paul and Andy Aledort (Andy is a masthead-level writer @ Guitar World)-- between Andy's involvement and the fact it was written with cooperation of Jimmie Vaughan and Double Trouble, I'm prettye excited. Title is "Texas Flood: The Inside Story of Stevie Ray Vaughan".

this means I gotta hurry up and finish "Elvis In Vegas" by this time next week. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

There's an excerpt from that bio in Rolling Stone this week about the whole Bowie episode that is worth the read.  

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/stevie-ray-vaughan-biography-texas-flood-excerpt-863263/

I've never liked this guy (Carlos Alomar); in the Joe Nick Patoski bio of SRV it says that he (Alomar) was pretty antagonistic towards SRV, viewing him as sort of an interloper and someone that would cut into Alomar's playing time onstage. 

Carlos Alomar, David Bowie’s guitarist and bandleader: I immediately realized the problems that I would have, cutting the first rehearsal short because Stevie Ray Vaughan does not read music and only knows basic blues chords. I can’t tell him to play a minor seven flat five or ask him to do scale-wise progressions. Holy smokes, I can’t even write him a dummy chart where you just get G, A, D.

Bullshit on that. Stevie didn't read musical notation (which isn't unusual for guitarists) and wasn't trained in music theory, but you could absofuckinglutely write him a lead sheet he could follow and I guarantee he knew a lot more than "basic blues chords". If Alomar is saying he personally wasn't capable of writing a lead sheet, because some of the songs on that tour's setlist couldn't be distilled to simple chord charts, fine, that's different, but that's not the meaning I take from it.

I don't doubt for a minute Stevie struggled to contribute to some of Bowie's existing catalog, because I'm not arguing Stevie's play didn't have some limitations in terms of applicability. But this "he was an amiable dunce" shit irritates me. 

• Like 1

On 7/28/2018 at 11:26 AM, Anton Chigurh said:

The SRV/Bowie story is pretty fun. I’m glad he said no to touring, because he recorded Texas Flood after that!

Actually, Texas Flood was already in the can.   It might not have been completely polished off but it was already recorded.   Bowie's people asked him to delay releasing it.  

On 8/6/2019 at 1:44 PM, SwanderedTalent said:

I've never liked this guy (Carlos Alomar); in the Joe Nick Patoski bio of SRV it says that he (Alomar) was pretty antagonistic towards SRV, viewing him as sort of an interloper and someone that would cut into Alomar's playing time onstage. 

Carlos Alomar, David Bowie’s guitarist and bandleader: I immediately realized the problems that I would have, cutting the first rehearsal short because Stevie Ray Vaughan does not read music and only knows basic blues chords. I can’t tell him to play a minor seven flat five or ask him to do scale-wise progressions. Holy smokes, I can’t even write him a dummy chart where you just get G, A, D.

Bullshit on that. Stevie didn't read musical notation (which isn't unusual for guitarists) and wasn't trained in music theory, but you could absofuckinglutely write him a lead sheet he could follow and I guarantee he knew a lot more than "basic blues chords". If Alomar is saying he personally wasn't capable of writing a lead sheet, because some of the songs on that tour's setlist couldn't be distilled to simple chord charts, fine, that's different, but that's not the meaning I take from it.

I don't doubt for a minute Stevie struggled to contribute to some of Bowie's existing catalog, because I'm not arguing Stevie's play didn't have some limitations in terms of applicability. But this "he was an amiable dunce" shit irritates me. 

SRV fucking NAILS that key change in "Cracked Actor".  Fuck Alomar.    

And if you want to hear a TRUE fucking asshole, there is an interview of either George or Frank Simms (background singers) talking about SRV.  What a fucking self-important prick the guy is.  

Edited by hullabelew
  • Like 1

Actually, Texas Flood was already in the can.   It might not have been completely polished off but it was already recorded.   Bowie's people asked him to delay releasing it.  

My understanding is there was no polishing. All the songs were recorded live, most in one take, some in a couple. They just showed up and vomited out what they had. It was just supposed to be demo tapes but it was so good they just put it out.

9 hours ago, tbone_ said:

My understanding is there was no polishing. All the songs were recorded live, most in one take, some in a couple. They just showed up and vomited out what they had. It was just supposed to be demo tapes but it was so good they just put it out.

yeah the most they did was combine parts of multiple vocal takes to get the best possible composite, and then there was an overdub where Stevie broke a string on "Texas Flood" (the song). otherwise it's what they recorded live at the studio in two freaking days

Let's Dance was released 4/14/83
The rehearsal that was recorded with SRV was done on 4/27/83
Texas Flood released 6/13/83 

Whenever SRV backed out of the tour, I thought that had blown his chance to ever be heard outside of the State of Texas.  Boy, was I wrong.  

• 2 weeks later...

Stevie's helicopter crashed 29 years ago this morning, around 1 AM. The Prayer of St. Francis was found in his pocket after the crash. Nice thing to read and think about in the mornings.

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is offense, let me bring pardon.
Where there is discord, let me bring union.
Where there is error, let me bring truth.
Where there is doubt, let me bring faith.
Where there is despair, let me bring hope.
Where there is darkness, let me bring your light.
Where there is sadness, let me bring joy.
Lord, let me not seek as much
to be consoled as to console,
to be understood as to understand,
to be loved as to love,
for it is in giving that one receives,
it is in self-forgetting that one finds,
it is in pardoning that one is pardoned,
it is in dying that one is raised to eternal life.

RIP, Stevie. 

• Like 5

15 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Stevie's helicopter crashed 29 years ago this morning, around 1 AM. The Prayer of St. Francis was found in his pocket after the crash. Nice thing to read and think about in the mornings.

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is offense, let me bring pardon.
Where there is discord, let me bring union.
Where there is error, let me bring truth.
Where there is doubt, let me bring faith.
Where there is despair, let me bring hope.
Where there is darkness, let me bring your light.
Where there is sadness, let me bring joy.
Lord, let me not seek as much
to be consoled as to console,
to be understood as to understand,
to be loved as to love,
for it is in giving that one receives,
it is in self-forgetting that one finds,
it is in pardoning that one is pardoned,
it is in dying that one is raised to eternal life.

RIP, Stevie. 

A fucking sad sad sad day. RIP to the GOAT. 

• Like 1