Where to visit in SE Asia?

7 hours ago, midtown said:

wow.   please expand.  I've never met anyone that didn't enjoy Vietnam that wasn't in a war kind of way

The surfing sucked

i should have expected to be a backpacker type trip but for value and experience it was less interesting than Thailand. For dollar and uniqueness, I think there are better countries in SE Asia. 

For just a few day you can get a quick flight to Siem Reap and see Angkor Wat. There's a few days worth of stuff to see there. Still have time, go to Phnom Penh as well.

You could also do Luang Prabang or Vientiene in Laos.

Surly 1%er? Go to the Maldives.

Or just go to the beach in Thailand. It's going to be the end of the monsoon, you'll have some days wiped out by rain so hard to have a set schedule. Railay, Ko Phi Phi tons of places to kick back, go on a snorkel day trip or two, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I second Robin Masters’ comments. Angkor Wat is a great trip. Did the whole complex in one very long day, leaving hotel at 4am and returning 8pm on rented mountain bike. Fascinating place.

Railay Beach (stayed in Ao Nang) and Ko Phi Phi are great choices. Both have excellent food and laid-back atmosphere. Ko Phi Phi offers raucous Thai nightlife and decent availability of single women.

Site seeing is meh in Hanoi but day trips to Ha Long Bay (long bus ride), Tam Coc and others very enjoyable. Hoan Kiem Lake in Hanoi has closed pedestrian avenues, great crowds and fantastic inexpensive food at night.

wish i'd gone to angkor wat while in thailand.  not that bangkok, phucket, and chang mai were bad.  also did KL and singapore on that trip. we were there in november and had good deals in most places because monsoon had just ended and the euros weren't on break yet.

heard good things about going on a motorcycle tour of vietnam from the people we stayed with in singapore.

Edited by elfenix

• 9 months later...

I'm putting this in the general SE Asia forum.  Starting to get antsy and want to go back to SE Asia.   This is what I am thinking.  Late this year. Oct/Nov/Dec

Fly from the US to Ha Noi.  Maybe spend 2 nights in the old quarter than hoping a flight to Luang Prabang.   3-4 nights in and around that area.  Then to Cambodia. 3-4 nights I assume in Siem Reap. Then fly back to Sai Gon and spend 1 maybe 2 nights there and back to the US.    I've already been to Vietnam but my time in both Sai Gon and Hanoi was very brief and transitory. 

Should I try to make it to Phnom Penh in Cambodia or Vietiene in Laos?  Any other off the beaten path areas I should try to work in?

9 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

There used to be a guy on shaggy who was a major sex tourist in Asia. I’d get his advice if he’s still alive.

He was a physics guy if I remember correctly.

• 1 month later...
On 8/3/2018 at 5:17 PM, Hornster said:

Ko Phi Phi offers raucous Thai nightlife and decent availability of single women. Site seeing is meh in Hanoi but day trips to Ha Long Bay (long bus ride), Tam Coc and others very enjoyable. Hoan Kiem Lake in Hanoi has closed pedestrian avenues, great crowds and fantastic inexpensive food at night.

How do you pronounce that city?

• 6 months later...

Just fyi, you'll need a multi-entry visa for Vietnam if that's the plan. Not really more complicated just more expensive.

I would have liked to have spent more time in Laos than I did in Cambodia...Really liked the feel of Luang Prabang. Just beautiful. The Mekong River is quite a sight and really enjoyed. We hired a private boat for a short afternoon cruise and the cost was very reasonable. However, Cambodia did have those beer gardens and if you can get a local dude to take you for the price of a couple rounds of cheap af beer, you'll meet cute local girls. Cambodia also has the gogo bars, which I understand are for meeting the more professional types. As a city Siem Reap has very little charm though. And Angkor Wat is definitely overwhelming. Regrettably we didn't get to Vientiane but I'd definitely suggest you consider it. I didn't see any sex tourism in Laos but it's gotta be there someplace. It was very noticeable in Cambodia.

Edited by Chopper

On 1/26/2020 at 4:24 AM, midtown said:

bump..I am planning to go to Laos and Cambodia.  October/Nov ...My plan is to fly into Ha Noi and fly out of Sai Gon 12-14 days later.   How many days and what cities or sights? 

See Angkor Wat because, of course.  Skip out on PP though, it's less developed than its neighbors and frankly just not that interesting.  But if you're there, the Killing Fields (Choeung Ek) is a pretty sobering visit