Conan

RPM

The most underrated late night show on TV. The guy is just crushing it on TBS. His only competition for guests in LA is James Corden so he always gets the A-listers first.

Nobody does a roadshow like Conan. He was the first US show to broadcast from Cuba. If you haven't seen that episode, you need to check it out. This week he's back at Comic-Con for the 4th year and those shows are always great.

Team Coco

• Like 1

Nobody does a roadshow like Conan.

Damn straight.  I think he's at his best when he just improv's.  He's very good at being a talk show host, in the old school style, but his comedy is more free without those boundaries.

His Armenia show was powerful, Italy with Schlansky was hilarious.  His Mexico show was solid, with a good segment with locals, trying to raise donations for the wall.  He even went to some shithole country, probably Haiti. 

He does good work.

8 hours ago, RPM said:

The most underrated late night show on TV. The guy is just crushing it on TBS. His only competition for guests in LA is James Corden so he always gets the A-listers first.

Nobody does a roadshow like Conan. He was the first US show to broadcast from Cuba. If you haven't seen that episode, you need to check it out. This week he's back at Comic-Con for the 4th year and those shows are always great.

Team Coco

James Corden is a one-trick pony. The damn carpool karaoke is so played out now. 

I've been Team Coco going back the Late Nite days. His quirkiness fit perfectly in that time slot. 

Love that dude but I have to admit I haven't seen much on TBS. Is he getting decent ratings at all? He's a million times better than Jimmy Fallon could ever hope to be. Buddy of mine and I went to a taping of Late Nite back in '98 or so and it was awesome. Does he still do "Lips" and Triumph bits? I'll never get tired of "Old Time Baseball" or the time he went to Montreal/Quebec City and did a week's worth of shows there. Just hysterical.

IMO Conan is one of the all-time best. I appreciate that when he has a female guest on he isn't trying to hit on her like some of the other late-night hosts. His pre-recorded stuff is the best stuff out there -- going to the soul food restaurant, clueless gamer, playing horse with Magic Johnson. His Italy trip with Schlansky was incredible.

• 4 weeks later...

Don't know how this slipped past me. It was announced in May.

Conan O'Brien's TBS talk show will shift to a half-hour format in January, as the comedian expands his relationship with TBS to include live events, more travel specials and more digital content. 

Conan, currently an hour-long show, will continue to air four nights a week but will adopt a "less structured" format, with fewer celebrity interviews and more digital content from his "Team Coco" banner. The changes were foreshadowed last spring, when O'Brien says he told advertisers he wanted a "more agile" format that "fits the modern landscape."

He told reporters Thursday that with the new format, "the ratio of comedy will rise significantly," and interviews will be used more sparingly, often to fit into a recurring segment. But the show won't change radically: "I'm such a known quantity; I'm not going to come out with a shaved head and an eye patch and a falcon on my shoulder." 

O'Brien, 55, who hosted NBC's Late Night beginning in 1993 and had a brief tenure (and tumultuous exit) from The Tonight Show, signed a new four-year contract with TBS last year, amid reports that his show would adopt a weekly format. He is the longest-tenured late-night host on TV, and while he has a robust online presence and younger  audience, his overall ratings are modest.

But the new approach seems to be a compromise, and O'Brien has won attention for his Conan Without Borders specials, travelogues to many foreign countries, from Cuba to Israel to South Korea, that proved a "catalyst" for the new format, he says. "It completely changed my notion of what this show could be."

As part of the expanded TBS partnership, O'Brien will also nurture the careers or stand-up comedians as host of a live showcase tour. And this fall, on the 25th anniversary of his first NBC talk show, the entire library of Late Night (and Conan) will be available online, for the first time. 

Turner chief Kevin Reilly wouldn't say how he'll fill the 11:30 ET/PT half-hour that will follow the truncated Conan, but joked that the comedian will fill the time to "analyze" his show in a Talking Dead-style series.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2018/05/03/conan-obrien-tbs-talk-show-shifts-half-hour-format/577348002/

• Like 2

On 7/21/2018 at 7:47 PM, honolulu horn said:

His interview with the TBS censor is fantastic, trying to figure out what slang terms he can say on air, what he could wear, etc. "The Old Tokyo Sandblaster" gets me everytime.

'The Bananimal' and 'Taking Grandma to applebees' made me laugh out loud.  

New format sounds interesting.    I hope that the comedy won't get diluted or too experimental at the expense of humor.  Every now and then he does a sketch that bombs, and I wonder about all the ideas they had but actually cut.  If he has to fill more time, hopefully he has lots of good ideas.

I'll still watch, though.

18 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

I would love a new format that is basically all taped bits and every once in a while an interview with Norm or Bill Burr.  The monologue and interview with a vapid movie star trying to promote a film are dated formats in general, and not Conan’s strength in particular.

21 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

So many people ONLY watch clips online so why not use less “live” tv for the show.   There’s nothing stopping him from putting more extended clips on YouTube so it won’t matter if the tbs show is 30 or 60 minutes.   

Agree 100%. 

He has the best digital following (if you take out Carpool Karaoke), content, and set up. He's thinking outside the box and is doing what is best for his show and what I think most of his fans want. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Watched Conan's last hour long show last night (it aired last Friday). He laid out his gameplan and announced a tour before his new 1/2 hour show starts in January. Sad to see the Basic Cable Band go, but he dedicated the final segment to them then joined for the final song which was the same one they closed the old tour shows with, 40 Days.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Chet Steadman said:

I’m sure most fans of Conan already know of the show, but his ‘Conan OBrien Needs A Friend’ podcast is fantastic.   

Agreed. It's really great. The shit hand he has been dealt and how he has handled it has been pretty amazing. He got fucked over by NBC pretty badly especially after being as loyal as he was for so many years. 

It shouldn't surprise me but him talking about his issues with depression and anxiety because of it was pretty interesting. Show business is a different world obviously but holy hell I never realized how many people in Hollywood tie all of their self worth to their success in the industry. 

They are all really good but really loved the episode with Kimmel. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

https://deadline.com/2020/11/conan-to-end-on-tbs-conan-obrien-weekly-variety-show-hbo-max-1234617122/

‘Conan’ To End On TBS In June 2021; Conan O’Brien Extends Deal With WarnerMedia For Weekly Variety Show On HBO Max

“In 1993 Johnny Carson gave me the best advice of my career: ‘As soon as possible, get to a streaming platform.’

• Like 1