Amazing Joey Votto stats

Post Oak

Joey Votto has 6,563 career plate appearances.

He has never popped out to the catcher, pitcher, or first basemen.

12:43 AM - Jul 20, 2018

https://mobile.twitter.com/theaceofspaeder/status/1020182334614704128

This could be my favorite stat, ever...
Joey Votto pop ups by year:
2010 - 0
2011 - 1
2012 - 1
2013 - 1
2014 - 1
2015 - 2
2016 - 0
2017 - 1
2018 - 0
Since 2010, Votto has popped it up 7 times. With the same amount of PA, the MLB average player would have popped it up 127 times.

12:04 AM - Jul 20, 2018

https://mobile.twitter.com/MLBRandomStats/status/1020172530840203264?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1020172530840203264&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.barstoolsports.com%2Fbarstoolu%2Fjoey-vottos-pop-up-statistic-could-be-the-craziest-sports-statistic-ive-ever-seen-in-my-life

Cant embed because im a dumbass

• Like 1

What does this have to do with Jose Ramirez? Just kidding. Votto is seriously a craftsman at the plate. Those stats seem too bombastic and far fetched to be real, but if you're telling me that Votto did it, I believe you. 

Side note- as someone who's a basketball fan as well as a baseball fan it really irritates me that guys like Carmelo Anthony and JR Smith are more famous/recognizable than a guy like Votto who should be a megastar with his on-field performance and personality.

that's some tony gwynn shit right there.  i used to love the stats on gwynn (and boggs) about pop-ups, swinging and missing, etc.  the shit they do in a season is what other solid players do in a long weekend.

i like how cincy is starting to turn things around, and they definitely have talent, but that's a tough division to make a move in.  maybe while stl is sorting out their issues.  i hope votto gets to play in some high leverage games at some point.

because of the difference in market size and the slow developing system process, along with playoff structure, i feel like mlb history is filled with great players who never really sniffed postseason opportunity.

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If someone started with “I heard that” and then gave that info, I’d have said no fucking way. 

And goo punch, I heard that he learned everything he knows about hitting and being a good person from Brandon Phillips. 

Sounds about right.

2 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Joey Votto has 6,563 career plate appearances.

He has never popped out to the catcher, pitcher, or first basemen.

12:43 AM - Jul 20, 2018

https://mobile.twitter.com/theaceofspaeder/status/1020182334614704128

This could be my favorite stat, ever...
Joey Votto pop ups by year:
2010 - 0
2011 - 1
2012 - 1
2013 - 1
2014 - 1
2015 - 2
2016 - 0
2017 - 1
2018 - 0
Since 2010, Votto has popped it up 7 times. With the same amount of PA, the MLB average player would have popped it up 127 times.

12:04 AM - Jul 20, 2018

https://mobile.twitter.com/MLBRandomStats/status/1020172530840203264?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1020172530840203264&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.barstoolsports.com%2Fbarstoolu%2Fjoey-vottos-pop-up-statistic-could-be-the-craziest-sports-statistic-ive-ever-seen-in-my-life

Cant embed because im a dumbass

There were 3 game series where Ian Kinsler popped up more than 7 times when he was a Ranger.  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, TheFlagship said:

One of my favorite players of this era. Should be in the Hall of Fame one day

I am sort of fascinated with his HOF case. He got a bit of a late start by HOFer standards - his first full season was at age 24, and he missed significant time in 2 other seasons. He currently has 1,685 hits and 266 HR to go with that incredible slash line. Guys with < 2,000 hits are almost entirely excluded from the HOF. He should be able to pass that fairly easily sometime in 2020, assuming he stays healthy. 

Per Fangraphs, he is at 55 WAR for his career. For reference, this is about the same as Lance Berkman and Fred McGriff (among 1B) had for their careers. Assuming Votto ends up around 65-70, that puts him in the company of Killebrew, McGwire, McCovey and Thome, all HOFers except McGwire, who is a HOFer by the numbers. 

With a couple more Votto-esque seasons he will likely be deserving, and given the shift in the voting cohort toward a stronger emphasis on analytics and less on traditional counting stats, I'd bet on him getting in. 

1 hour ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I am sort of fascinated with his HOF case. He got a bit of a late start by HOFer standards - his first full season was at age 24, and he missed significant time in 2 other seasons. He currently has 1,685 hits and 266 HR to go with that incredible slash line. Guys with < 2,000 hits are almost entirely excluded from the HOF. He should be able to pass that fairly easily sometime in 2020, assuming he stays healthy. 

Per Fangraphs, he is at 55 WAR for his career. For reference, this is about the same as Lance Berkman and Fred McGriff (among 1B) had for their careers. Assuming Votto ends up around 65-70, that puts him in the company of Killebrew, McGwire, McCovey and Thome, all HOFers except McGwire, who is a HOFer by the numbers. 

With a couple more Votto-esque seasons he will likely be deserving, and given the shift in the voting cohort toward a stronger emphasis on analytics and less on traditional counting stats, I'd bet on him getting in. 

all he has to do is sign with the yankees at some point.