Doc on a bike killed by a shooter on a bike in the Houston Med Center

clapclapclap

https://www.khou.com/article/news/local/hospital-identifies-doctor-shot-killed-while-riding-bike-in-medical-center/285-575876487

HOUSTON – Houston Methodist Hospital has released the identity of the doctor shot and killed Friday morning while riding a bike in the Texas Medical Center.

Dr. Mark Hausknecht was shot by another man on a bike around 9 a.m. Friday in the 6600 block of Main Street near Texas Children’s Hospital.

Dr. Hausknecht was a cardiologist who was an important member of the Houston Methodist staff and the DeBakey Heart & Vascular Center, the hospital said.

The doctor specialized in cardiovascular disease and had been in practice for almost four decades.

Jim McGrath, the spokesman for the family of President George H.W. Bush, said Dr. Hausknecht treated President Bush for heart arrhythmia in 2000. President Bush expressed his condolences to Dr. Hausknecht's family on Friday:

"Mark was a fantastic cardiologist and a good man," President Bush said. "I will always be grateful for his exceptional, compassionate care. His family is in our prayers."

Police are still looking for the suspect in the shooting who fled the scene on a bicycle.

At the time of the shooting, witnesses told KHOU 11 a man wearing scrubs was riding his bike when he was shot by another cyclist.

Dr. Hausknecht flagged down a passing ambulance for help as the shooter fled the scene. He was taken to Ben Taub Hospital where he later died.

A security alert sent to Medical Center employees indicated the suspect was a white or Hispanic man wearing a dark jacket with a black ball cap and riding a blue mountain bike. UT Officers and HPD are checking the area for the suspect.

Friday morning, the roadway remained partially blocked with heavy police presence and an active investigation. Police were looking over the victim's yellow bicycle on the sidewalk.

Police briefly flocked to nearby Hermann Park in their search for the suspect, but the shooter was not located.

That is so fucked. My cousin is an anesthesiologist. She worked in the H-med center for years, and took a position in Albuquerque about six months ago. She’s who told me about it. She, and many others are distraught. Guy was apparently a pretty good dude. This sucks.

33 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

This has to be a professional hit. It makes zero sense otherwise. 

What I was thinking.  Bikes going in opposite directions, ride past each other, turn and shoot with most likely a short barreled auto-loader pistol, connect on both shots and vanish.  Pretty good shooting.  

• Like 2

Second major physician loss for Houston Methodist in as many years. The loss of the director of their Transplant Surgery program was bad enough (she was a victim of domestic violence). I'm interested to see what the investigation will turn up. I'm in the camp that it was a professional hit.

16 hours ago, Homesickhorn said:

That is so fucked. My cousin is an anesthesiologist. She worked in the H-med center for years, and took a position in Albuquerque about six months ago. She’s who told me about it. She, and many others are distraught. Guy was apparently a pretty good dude. This sucks.

She shouldn't be distraught. She will get out of Albuquerque eventually.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

This has to be a professional hit. It makes zero sense otherwise. 

I’ve been thinking the same thing. Especially after hearing when and how it all went down. 9am, rush hour in the med center, construction everywhere keeping car traffic at a standstill, dude passes him, then fires twice, and vanishes. I’m sure there are a fuckton if witnesses still being interviewed, but I’m worried that the shooter isn’t even in Houston, let alone Texas, at this point.

Knew the guy just a tad bit from seeing him/working with him at methodist a while back. Seemed nice. He was killed about 20 feet from my wifes office in the pavillion. She usually walks right by there at that exact same time every day on the way to work but we were on vacation for the last week

the med center and that part of the med center is safe as shit. Ill be floored is this is some random act. Def. smells of a professional hit. 

The thing im most shocked about is that with all the cameras, traffic and people that they havent caught this guy yet. Also lends credence to the hit theory

Edited by GreenspointTexas

52 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Knew the guy just a tad bit from seeing him/working with him at methodist a while back. Seemed nice. He was killed about 20 feet from my wifes office in the pavillion. She usually walks right by there at that exact same time every day on the way to work but we were on vacation for the last week

the med center and that part of the med center is safe as shit. Ill be floored is this is some random act. Def. smells of a professional hit. 

The thing im most shocked about is that with all the cameras, traffic and people that they havent caught this guy yet. Also lends credence to the hit theory

#humblebrag

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

Gotta love Surly jumping straight to “pro hit”. 

Just as likely they nearly hit each other when passing, shooter feels Doc was at fault and road rages. 

Hey fuckstick, did you see me anywhere say it was a pro hit? Fuck no, shit for brains! I suppose it was an anti-cyclist cyclist.

Fuck up much? 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Broad daylight with cameras around.   The shooter will be in the cage pretty damn soon.

He was out of the country before the crime scene tape came down. I don’t know if we’ll ever find out what the good doctor had going on behind the scenes, but it got him killed. 

On 7/21/2018 at 11:17 PM, Steel Shank said:

Hey fuckstick, did you see me anywhere say it was a pro hit? Fuck no, shit for brains! I suppose it was an anti-cyclist cyclist.

Fuck up much? 

I’m talking about posts 10, 12, and 22. I never mentioned you. 

Take a step back, calm down and have a sandwich. 

Wish sofakingjive was here to weigh in. Probably GHWB all hopped up and meds let something go on accident. CIA sends a mechanic to fix the doc. CIA then informs the bush family that GHWB will no longer be given any meds that could prolong his life because he is now a liability. Bush dies by end of year. 15-20 years from now the rest of the Kennedy files are released and we learn that daddy bush was point man on organizing the assassination.

seems pretty cut and dry to me.