Last Chance U

joeycovers

47 minutes ago, trza-hawk said:

I was not expecting the tangent with the kid living in the house for broke sci-fi and fantasy novelists, his grandmother writing a feminist retelling of the Arthurian legends, or the infamous numismatic expert with a dark side in his family history.

The filmmakers probably heard all that and didn’t think he was being serious. That was super weird. 

All around, this season had no hateable people IMO. The coach wasn’t a jackass, and the players featured all were just trying to make the most of their situation. I can’t even remember the loser’s name, but there was that former GT quarterback at Indy last year that refused to go into the game one time because he was mad about his playing time. Should’ve kicked his sorry ass off the team that second. Contrast that with 5’8 Dior that moved to QB to help his team out & probably slept in his car after the game. Night & day difference in character. Also loved the part at the end of an episode where Dior talked about how football was his therapy session.

4 hours ago, Deej said:

He's an ass by any comparison. 

Just saw the fight with the ref.  What a clown.  Tells his kids to be above it.  Then five seconds later is fighting a ref (even though the ref started the physical stuff).

37 minutes ago, deech said:

Just saw the fight with the ref.  What a clown.  Tells his kids to be above it.  Then five seconds later is fighting a ref (even though the ref started the physical stuff).

and now the coach calling timeout up 40 with less than a minute causes the most ridiculous fight.......Such an asshole.  Granted the other team started some shit beating up a manager before the game started.   

All he has to do is let the clock run and they at least make it until halftime.  I'm sure it blows up in the second half regardless.

Edited by deech

Coach Beam’s crooked shaven mustache at times drives me crazy.   Also the stud CB they call Ray saying in the barber shop “man if I go to Colorado we play at texas a&m next year, that’s crazy!”   Like that would be the coolest thing ever, I was like wtf lol.  How do Oakland boys come to thinking that’s amazing over anything else on Colorado’s schedule?  Fucking Dior needs to get a shot somewhere but is also being too proud to ask for help offered from many people, which I understand but it’s dumb to do.  

Edited by Hook1997

3 episodes into it and I really like it. This coach is very likable unlike that fucking jerk off from the last 2 Kansas seasons. I actually pull for and like these players. I didn't know what to expect moving to a major metro area from the very small towns in Mississippi and Kansas but it's very good so far. Dior really stepped up to fill in for QB and has gotten their season back on track. Dude is pretty much homeless and balling on the field. Props to him. Shows a lot of character to go through all that and still be able to perform at that level.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/8/2020 at 12:41 AM, deech said:

Just wait another couple seasons, the coaching douche level goes up a notch or two.

• 4 weeks later...

I just started watching the first season. I am two and a half episodes in. The coach is one of the biggest jagoffs of all time.

But damn, it's a depressing show. These kids have just about no chance at succeeding. It's sad. But some of their backgrounds are horrific and it is understandable.

Back in the 1990s I was around the Pitt team a lot and we had a running back from East Mississippi C.C. Extremely talented and productive at that level. One day at summer cap at the Pitt-Johnstown campus Coach Majors and I were talking about his background and he said it was going to be very difficult to keep him because of his history. He had seen his mother shot and grandmother stabbed. Sort of like that Ollie kid in the first season.

Just sad.

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Helobious said:

Dior Scott officially made the roster at Hawaii. That scene where he showed up at his family gathering, and his dad laughed at him after Dior said he had no backup plan if Hawaii didn’t work out comes to mind. Happy for him.

Dior's dad is a massive piece of shit. Never apologized for traumatizing his own kid's childhood. 

Just started Season 2. I am into the second episode where Kam Carter, who was booted from State Pen in Crappy Valley starts to play a bigger role, along with his roomie, the fellow who was booted from UGa.

Once a year a few years back I would go up to Crappy Valley and have dinner with the German cousin's husband. At one point he was a visiting professor there and would run an exchange program with his home university win Germany.

Anyway we'd go out to dinner, have a few Biers and take along a couple of his colleagues. I would also take my Cousin Jimbo's son and a family friend, a player at State Pen, with us. The boy who played for State Pen said that he thought there was no way that Kam Carter would succeed when he got to Pitt. Carter came to Pitt from EMCC and lasted a bit before he was shown the door and then finished his career at Duquesne, a small D1 non-scholarship program in Pittsburgh.

The boy said in practice Carter was pretty much unstoppable but that he couldn't stay out of trouble, and he couldn't while at Pitt. He was not drafted but if he could ever get himself under control he could probably make the NFL.

It's such a shame these kids are so beaten down by life, yes, I know much of their own doing, by the time they get to East Mississippi. It is sad.

On 9/14/2020 at 10:29 AM, PittsburghTiger said:

I just started watching the first season. I am two and a half episodes in. The coach is one of the biggest jagoffs of all time.

But damn, it's a depressing show. These kids have just about no chance at succeeding. It's sad. But some of their backgrounds are horrific and it is understandable.

Back in the 1990s I was around the Pitt team a lot and we had a running back from East Mississippi C.C. Extremely talented and productive at that level. One day at summer cap at the Pitt-Johnstown campus Coach Majors and I were talking about his background and he said it was going to be very difficult to keep him because of his history. He had seen his mother shot and grandmother stabbed. Sort of like that Ollie kid in the first season.

Just sad.

I am jealous you got to talk to King Johnny. 

1 minute ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I actually got to know him reasonably well and could call him a friend. He was a terrific man.

Just the absolute best and he treated the common fan like royalty. When he died there were grown men in Tennessee calling in crying and telling stories about meeting him and how well he treated them. 

• 2 weeks later...